Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, a camera made out of an old sardine can and some photosensitive paper, very thrifty.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I should like to become an IRL dad, do you think 'dines will make me more fertile?

Maybe not more fertile, but a new study says that they'll make your brain thicker:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/this-is-your-brain-on-fish/375638/?utm_source=SFFB

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

People forget that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
you're making me uncomfortable

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
my brain is always hard

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I ate some sardines. They were tasty.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
I ate some salt cod. It was tasty.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I've become a pretty big fan of these. Yes, it's canned tuna. But it's also a pretty aromatic and flavorful can of fish with all the spices and herbs to add to pasta when you are in such a hurry you cannot prepare the entire dish yourself.

Add a bit of your own anchovy paste and you're sitting pretty with a decent puttanesca.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Ceciltron posted:

I've become a pretty big fan of these. Yes, it's canned tuna. But it's also a pretty aromatic and flavorful can of fish with all the spices and herbs to add to pasta when you are in such a hurry you cannot prepare the entire dish yourself.

Add a bit of your own anchovy paste and you're sitting pretty with a decent puttanesca.

Get the gently caress out.

Tuna?

TUNA?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Mods?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Forgive me, friends.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
All is forgiven in fishy brotherhood, friend. :ehug:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

These are p much my favorite but they're just so expensive on amazon.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Tuna is only good of you eat the bones :q:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

roommate made sardine cakes for dinner

reaching sardine singularity at my household

we are one with the 'dines

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cracked open my first tin of Nuri and didn't really care for it. Not a lot of flavor in the fish, kinda mushy, the skin was a bit mottled. Maybe it was old. This was the olive oil tin, and I have a tomato sauce one I'll try next. Hope it's a fluke, these are fairly cheap at the Ranch 99.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
ive been slumming it and one thing ive noticed about lower price mark dines is how greatly they vary even within batches. a common american branded oil packed can disappointed me this afternoon but the one i had last night was very good for its price. perhaps one sat in the sun?

writing up this dine trip report reminded me that when camping i've picked up dines in little sleepy mountain towns nearby and now im wondering how old they in fact were. i'm thinking i should go visit some dusty little general stores and find 30 year old dines for our own vintage dine reviews

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
just had a pizza with 'chovies, pepperoni and olives. was delicious 5/5 would eat again

fake edit: going for seconds now

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stir-fried some King Oscars tonight with a mess of broccoli, garlic, and pickled thai peppers. Fuckin' yum.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

ive been slumming it and one thing ive noticed about lower price mark dines is how greatly they vary even within batches.
I've found this, too, and it's especially disappointing when they're supposed to be firm and you get a tin that's mushy. It really makes me wonder about these dudes eating 48 year old dines.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

That's a really cute fork

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
More tiny tots for dinner tonight, so good but I need a source that sells them for less than 2.60 or whatever whack price I paid today

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
TTs are 4$ a tin out here. Been slumming it with CotS and Bumblebee because I haven't had a chance to hit up Costco for an 8 pack of Seasons.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I just opened my emergency Brunswick sardines.

loving gross

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
brunswicks are the worst

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Costco had Seasons in oil. Wasn't sure whether to stock up or not, as I'm a KO man, like most of us.

What's the goon word on these?

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Supermarket only had King Oscar in water (!!!) so I went with Wild Planet.

Do I need to eat the whole tin or can I reseal it?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Bombtrack posted:

You can reseal bro. Wrap it up. Just a day or two is as long as I'd go though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oil is a natural preservative. See annotation on Peanut butter.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bombtrack posted:

Uhhh you can put the fish in a ziplock or something it but I wouldn't hold it over more than a couple of days.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Departing from tradition:

2 cans KO in oil
"some" parsley, I used freezedried
2 bunches green onion
"some" Prepackaged stuffing mix
2 eggs
slosh of seafood stock

Chop the onions and throw all that plus the parsley in a loaf sized pyrex dish, drizzle with oil and throw in a hot oven to sizzle for a while then remove to cool a bit

Mix in the sardines, stuffing cubes, stock, eggs til it's relatively homogenous, garnish with held back fishies or don't, whatever, salt and pepper.

Bake using the stuffing directions, or something like 400 for 30 minutes. I think the 500 degree method would have it burnt on the top and gross in the middle unfortunately.

If you're not an idiot like me you could: Not forget to add the sardines to the dish in step 1 just like you do for fisherman eggs and do all the mixing in an actual mixing bowl instead of loving around with a hot pyrex dish thing trying to mix without flinging fishy breadcrumbs around the kitchen :shobon:

Verdict: I did 400 for 30 min, that was a bit much, the outside was pretty crispy. I'd try 350 or 325 instead and prob up the added liquid to about half or 2/3 a cup total.

It's still delicious though :yum:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 4, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Did you make a fish custard

E: First pic is a little scary second one is kinda stately and fish-pleasant

raton fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 4, 2016

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Put the dines on burgers with the chili sauce and at the whooooollleeee thing

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you make a fish custard

I mean oyster stuffing is a thing I"ve made before and really enjoyed it so I figured why not with sardines!

Fish custard's got to be a thing somewhere though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bombtrack posted:

Put the dines on burgers with the chili sauce and at the whooooollleeee thing

:stare:

Ohhh I might have to do this. With some spicy brown mustard and a dill pickle. Onion as well.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
sautéed (read: pretty much burnt) onions, yes

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

VendaGoat posted:

:stare:

Ohhh I might have to do this. With some spicy brown mustard and a dill pickle. Onion as well.
Sloppy Joes but with sardines.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I made a pretty good pasta dish with sardines tonight:

1. Put 1/2 pound of spaghetti in a pot of boiling water

2. Mince up a bunch of cloves of garlic, chop up half an onion and chop a good sized thing (head?) of broccoli.

3. Put the garlic and onions in span in olive oil on medium for a while until they smell done. Toss in the broccoli for a while. Add a cup or so of heavy cream and turn to low. I added lemon juice here (1/2 of a lemon) and I'm glad I did.

4. When the cream has reduced add a can or two of sardines, turn off the heat and let it sit for a little while

5. Add the spaghetti and black pepper and salt and toss together. Fresh chopped parsley would be good on top. I didn't have any

You could probably skip the cream and it would still be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, poo poo. Didn't have my tablet with me, ended up at the store and bought Crown Prince instead of King Oscar. And in water. That's what I get for not writing this poo poo down. Should I just exchange them? They're unopened