Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Even if they were cars you could buy for 20k they sound like the sort of car that needs 20k in missed maintenance, then 20k in NLA parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
drat you guys are j

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Even if they were cars you could buy for 20k they sound like the sort of car that needs 20k in missed maintenance, then 20k in NLA parts.

This. This right here is the future of the 93-95 Mazda RX-7.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

jamal posted:

My mom's rav-4 that now belongs to my sister has never consumed any oil. But it does get driven over mountain passes with a bunch of poo poo in the back on a regular basis.

And if you just throw new pistons and rings in a block without measuring anything or re-honing the bores you are going to have a bad time.

welcome to flat-rate honing costs time and time is money also no machine shop on site everything has to be sent out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Why do Lambos like to catch fire at this particular spot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48vLP-pqGo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loose oil line, drips on the catalytic converters, bursts into flames.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Data Graham posted:

Loose oil line, drips on the catalytic converters, bursts into flames.

You'd figure these cars would come factory equipped with their own fire extinguishers or on-board halon or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

You'd figure these cars would come factory equipped with their own fire extinguishers or on-board halon or something.

If you're rich enough to buy one, you're rich enough to buy two. Or I think it's "if you can afford two, you can afford one".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Hmm. I wonder about my plan to buy a Mazda 2 in Puerto Rico and bring it to the mainland.

Is this a serious post? Are they dirt cheap there or something?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't imagine why a car built by a company known for rust would be dirt cheap on an island surrounded by salt water.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Midjack posted:

If you're rich enough to buy one, you're rich enough to buy two. Or I think it's "if you can afford two, you can afford one".

If you can afford to buy two, you can afford to own one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godholio posted:

I can't imagine why a car built by a company known for rust would be dirt cheap on an island surrounded by salt water.

I live on a peninsula within a peninsula surrounded by salt water and it's not a problem, I own a '94 and '97 Mazda and they are both rust free.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

Is this a serious post? Are they dirt cheap there or something?

The new Mazda 2 is federalized, but for *reasons* only sold in PR unless you'd like an ugly rear end scion.
You can ship them to the US though (Dunno if it is 50 state or 49 state though) without a problem as cars sold in PR still have to pass EPA and crash tests and etc (they are federally legal).
The new mazda 2 is a good looking subcompact 2. No where near as happy as mine though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Why not buy a Mazda 2 in Canada and take advantage of our lovely exchange rate?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nm posted:

The new Mazda 2 is federalized, but for *reasons* only sold in PR unless you'd like an ugly rear end scion.

gently caress Mazda for this by the way

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Why not buy a Mazda 2 in Canada and take advantage of our lovely exchange rate?

The Mazda 2 isn't sold in Canada either, although I was surprised to learn that there's still a 2016 Mazda5.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

The Mazda 2 isn't sold in Canada either, although I was surprised to learn that there's still a 2016 Mazda5.

The CND Toyota Yaris sedan is the US Scion iA and everyone elses Mazda2/Demio.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Kidney Stone posted:

A friends Ferrari 360.

:eek: Even if it broke in half (looks like more debris up at the top) how does that happen? Is everything but the transmission case and exhaust made of carbon fiber and magnesium?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Delivery McGee posted:

:eek: Even if it broke in half (looks like more debris up at the top) how does that happen? Is everything but the transmission case and exhaust made of carbon fiber and magnesium?

...yes?

and plastic and rubber, none of which have very high melting temperatures, and car fires (especially carbon fiber resin fed ones) burn hot as hell.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Magnesium burns like a fucker once it starts.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Huh, how about that. On second look, I can see the suspension and brakes are still mostly there, but still, dang. Dude must have been in BFE served by a volunteer FD called out of bed for it to burn that completely.

Also noticed the second time, there's a Caterpillar track at the top right. Is that what he hit, or did they just say "gently caress it" and brought in a bulldozer to clean it up? :v:

Edit:

tater_salad posted:

I knew that (hence the "what, is it made entirely of magnesium?"), I just didn't expect it to ACTUALLY BE ENTIRELY MAGNESIUM.

Speaking of magnesium, don't buy Yoyo-brand sparklers. Ran into my old friend the volunteer fire chief today who got some minutes before they were recalled last July 3rd, was lighting one for his kid, and it just went up all at once. 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 40% of his hand, as estimated by his paramedic deputy chief. Luckily, as a firefighter, he knew the immediate first-aid for a severe burn and called his deputy to bandage it, but if the kid had been holding it she'd have lost the hand. Google the brand name if you have a strong stomach/want to see all the news articles about 'em.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 3, 2016

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

nm posted:

You can ship them to the US though (Dunno if it is 50 state or 49 state though) without a problem as cars sold in PR still have to pass EPA and crash tests and etc (they are federally legal).
The new mazda 2 is a good looking subcompact 2. No where near as happy as mine though.

I was too lazy and just bought the ugly rear end Scion. It's fun, I like it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of magnesium, don't buy Yoyo-brand sparklers. Ran into my old friend the volunteer fire chief today who got some minutes before they were recalled last July 3rd, was lighting one for his kid, and it just went up all at once. 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 40% of his hand, as estimated by his paramedic deputy chief. Luckily, as a firefighter, he knew the immediate first-aid for a severe burn and called his deputy to bandage it, but if the kid had been holding it she'd have lost the hand. Google the brand name if you have a strong stomach/want to see all the news articles about 'em.

Whoa, that sounds awesome. I bet you could do up some serious pyrotechnics with that.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I remember reading about how you are supposed to use sand buckets and chemical extinguishers because the reaction with water results in flammable hydrogen gas forming which is dangerous. Technically speaking the light's fairly dangerous too as it gives off UV light.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

Huh, how about that. On second look, I can see the suspension and brakes are still mostly there, but still, dang. Dude must have been in BFE served by a volunteer FD called out of bed for it to burn that completely.

If it was magnesium, there's not much most FDs can do aside from trying to protect nearby property. Once magnesium starts burning, it's drat near impossible to put out without dry chemicals. It burns hot enough that when water hits it, it breaks the water down to oxygen and hydrogen, which just adds to the fireworks (I'm an idiot, but water still only adds to the "fire" issue with a magnesium fire unless you can completely submerge the magnesium)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 3, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Speaking of fiberglass burning up, just remembered I had some pictures of a camper that had lit up near the Grand Canyon.
The only thing left from the camper shell is the mattress spring.

Bet that made a smell.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

some texas redneck posted:

It burns hot enough that when water hits it, it breaks the water down to oxygen and hydrogen, which just adds to the fireworks.

Nah, that's not the issue. Think about it: any thermal disassociation of water into H2 and O would just result in the near-immediate reaction of H2 and O to produce water, just as soon as the reaction products cooled below the decomposition temperature; there's no net release of energy there.

The problem is that water just plain reacts with magnesium to produce magnesium hydroxide and free hydrogen: you are literally spraying the burning magnesium with an oxidizer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Phanatic posted:

Nah, that's not the issue. Think about it: any thermal disassociation of water into H2 and O would just result in the near-immediate reaction of H2 and O to produce water, just as soon as the reaction products cooled below the decomposition temperature; there's no net release of energy there.

The problem is that water just plain reacts with magnesium to produce magnesium hydroxide and free hydrogen: you are literally spraying the burning magnesium with an oxidizer.

This is the perfect excuse to post Sand Won't Save You This Time. ClF3: an oxidizer stronger than oxygen itself.

(Every single one of his blog posts under the "Things I Won't Work With" category is an extremely pro click.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I'm no suspension expert, but is that wishbone(?) modified by someone in year 11 shop class?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I'm the roller blade wheel bushing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm the floating lower control arm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm the sick oil filter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow there is just so much going on in this picture. This is on like a farm vehicle or something that's not driven on public roads right?

I'm thr eventual hole in thr brake like from rubbing on the suspension.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
gently caress it, I'm the bolt for the hub-end of the upper control arm.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

gently caress it, I'm the bolt for the hub-end of the upper control arm.

poo poo I missed that..
This is like one of those find the hidden object games.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That's some boogerwelded home brew bullshit right there :stare:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Am I crazy or does that appear to be some ghetto attempt to convert a macpherson strut into a double wishbone design?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Raluek posted:

I'm the sick oil filter.

:lol: I never would've noticed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

some texas redneck posted:

If it was magnesium, there's not much most FDs can do aside from trying to protect nearby property. Once magnesium starts burning, it's drat near impossible to put out without dry chemicals. It burns hot enough that when water hits it, it breaks the water down to oxygen and hydrogen, which just adds to the fireworks (I'm an idiot, but water still only adds to the "fire" issue with a magnesium fire unless you can completely submerge the magnesium)

I thought they used magnesium alloys, or at least magnesium core aluminum.
Not just pure magnesium. That must be terrible for longevity, even if galvanised since whatever is galvanising it is probably less reactive than Mg.

Urgh metallurgy might as well be magic as far as I'm concerned.