Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hank's turd house on fifth is probably not doing so hot because nobody wants to buy turds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dreezy posted:

macrumors.com or whatever. allegedly they're gonna use their poo poo rear end proprietary lighting port and bluetooth because gently caress everyone who owns the 1/8" jack headphones that have existed from the dawn of time.

Traditional ports are too big. Like your mom.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Facebook I hope

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doobies Dog's

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously malls. I can't think of anything that you can buy in a mall that isn't cheaper and more easily accessible somewhere else except maybe designer clothes and Brookstone wastes of money.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Pinguliten posted:

They've turned into an investment company. They bought a lot of stock in Alibaba, a Chinese online market (Aliexpress among others). To be honest though their old services are pretty big in some countries though, for example Japan.

Core Yahoo is worth approximately negative $8 billion.

If you read the article or do the math it's not actually quite so bad, but the gist is that their partial ownership of Alibaba and Yahoo Japan (a separate company) makes up a vast portion of their book value, such that core Yahoo functions are worthless or of negative value.

Yahoo tried to do a slick tax-avoidance spinoff of Alibaba in 2015 but the IRS sniffed it out and wouldn't give its blessing, so Yahoo backed off. Now it would be more of a value-add to spin Yahoo off from Yahoo and have the original corporation just hold Alibaba and maybe Yahoo Japan too.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

johnny sack posted:

Sears stores. The one closest to my house is two two gigantic floors. The first floor has tons of women's clothing, makeup, purses, shoes, accessories, etc. It has a very tiny men's clothing section. Then a medium sized craftsman tool section -way smaller than the women's clothing section.

The second floor is a whole bunch of kids clothing, a few random pieces of furniture, mattresses, random appliances, and overpriced televisions.

Nobody is ever in there shopping. Definitely more employees than customers at all times.

Jesus christ this sounds exactly like the Sears I work at and it's also in a mall and people use it for easy parking

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

In a very big toilet with a very slow flush but

NFL

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that is because the ceo is a hardcore libertarian and is all "this is a good way to run a company" despite all evidence to the contrary

That's a pretty solid summary. One of the weird things is that based on the accounting treatment, K-Mart technically bought Sears, despite K-Mart being the bigger turd (smaller turd?) at the time. K-Mart was the one closer to death.

Apparently there's a lot of value locked in the properties that Sears & K-Mart own outright (as opposed to other companies, who rent space), and the next big play is to re-lease those spaces. The actual businesses are worthless.

Fun Fact: I used to work at K-Mart in high school. At least once a month some shopper would ask if the store was closing. As far as I know the store is still open somehow, 10+ years later, despite only making meaningful sales around Christmas time and on Sundays after church.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie Sanders bullshit pipedream inc.

Can't wait to see all the millennials faces when he loses, owned.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a K Mart sorta near me.
I went in there 5 years ago just to grab something to drink and it looked larger and worse than some thrift stores that are not Goodwill (because Goodwill is a decent company).

A lot of the lights were broken, poo poo laying in the aisles, just random kids wandering around. I saw a total of three employees and they all looked like they were edging towards suicide.

Edit: I just checked and it is still in operation. It's like Radio Shack.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Every single taxi company in the world.

naem
May 29, 2011

Woden posted:

Good because I hate when they try to argue with me about a tip

Like oh you're mad at me i didn't give $5? How about no dollars how's that sound

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is yahoos obsession with having a woman as CEO? Political Correctness is killing their company.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

social vegan posted:

hank's turd house on fifth is probably not doing so hot because nobody wants to buy turds

loving LOLing at this.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

naem posted:

Good because I hate when they try to argue with me about a tip

Like oh you're mad at me i didn't give $5? How about no dollars how's that sound

There's something about the rise of Uber I don't understand.

1. Taxis but with ~smartphones~
2. ?
3. It's suddenly not necessary to tip your taxi driver, despite almost a century of tradition.

I mean, an Uber driver is still a taxi driver right? If somebody made a Waitr app would it not be necessary to tip them?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Quiznos.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a quiznos

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

shoophobo posted:

Quiznos.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a quiznos

Which is a shame because sometimes I want 2 lbs. of sandwich and and Subway is the pits.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Gay Bean posted:

2. ?
3. It's suddenly not necessary to tip your taxi driver, despite almost a century of tradition.

I mean, an Uber driver is still a taxi driver right? If somebody made a Waitr app would it not be necessary to tip them?

If you use smartphones you can ignore all tradition, also government regulation, fees, labor laws you name it because you see "apps"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Saudi Arabia.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

The Gay Bean posted:

2. ?

Disrupting the tip market

Woden
May 6, 2006
AMD: They're making worse and worse processors, have nothing left to sell off and only get money from console sales.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

dreezy posted:

i have an apple iphone cause even though I hate apple i really don't like android and they say they're gonna remove the loving headphone jack from the next one because wtf.

Use bluetooth noob.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Woden posted:

AMD: They're making worse and worse processors, have nothing left to sell off and only get money from console sales.

AMD being super hosed that if they get bought out / sold they lose the x86 license.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Woden posted:

iirc the hammer is dropping in some case in california and if uber loses said case, they're going to have to treat their drivers like actual employees. at the very second they have to treat their employees like, well, employees, the entire company is bust

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dreezy posted:

i have an apple iphone cause even though I hate apple i really don't like android and they say they're gonna remove the loving headphone jack from the next one because wtf.

so whats it like to be really loving dumb

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
no really im asking a completely serious, straight faced question right now OP

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

condoms. because the next generation is so hosed up on gender politics none of them will be able to have sex

This.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i'm going to do a special shout out to TIME magazine because they're in some sort of cool paradox where they know they're dying with the baby boomers so they're making a bunch of "gently caress these dumbass millenial" things, which makes sure that they don't have a new consumer base in the future

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just reported: Yahoo to cut it's workforce by 15%:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35479175

quote:

The focus on cutting costs and raising profits is being seen as the latest sign that the company is becoming more serious about selling its core internet business.

But some analysts are sceptical.

"They can slim down to improve profitability, but they are in an industry that is growing and they're not," said Martin Pyykkonen, managing director at Rosenblatt Securities.

"If the core business was really a valuable asset someone would have come and tried to buy it already," he added.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

You Are A Elf posted:

You just described my Sears store, except the tools are on the second floor.

It's nice if you go to the mall, though. Park at Sears (plenty of parking) and walk right through the store without crowds to get into the mall.

You just described my Sears after modifying the description of their Sears.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
malaysia airlines (it still gone guys - bad for business)

borders

contempo casuals

qdoba

sbarro

tower records

dick's sporting goods

fashion bug

tweeter

kroch's and bretano's

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

Cowman posted:

Jesus christ this sounds exactly like the Sears I work at and it's also in a mall and people use it for easy parking

sears is just a front operation and tax shelter for the mafia and/or the reptilians, nobody has actually bought anything from sears ever despite it being around for over a century.
source:i used to work at sears

otend
Jan 18, 2016

Woden posted:

if AI/Polaris doesn't pan out, they're kinda boned

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I'd say Nokia but they seem to be destined to constantly becoming more and more poo poo without ever going bankrupt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Gay Bean posted:

What I like about stuff like Uber/Lyft is that you can call a car and then you know where the car you've called is and you can instantly see it, on the map, making it's way towards you. Which is a vast improvement over the traditional taxi model of calling and hoping they might eventually show up.

also with Lyft you can tip them which I like.

Borders has already been gone for like 3-4 years now.

Earwicker has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Feb 3, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Pretty much every company based around oil is getting hosed right now. BP is losing more money this year than right after the Gulf spill. And small companies without a ton of capital are just going belly up.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Pawn 17 posted:

Pretty much every company based around oil is getting hosed right now. BP is losing more money this year than right after the Gulf spill. And small companies without a ton of capital are just going belly up.

I remember all those articles about the oil boom towns in North Dakota and whatnot a few years back

Maybe they'll make cool ghost towns

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Volume posted:

My dick circles your mothers drain, op

This is the best answer in the thread.

Business Gorillas posted:

iirc the hammer is dropping in some case in california and if uber loses said case, they're going to have to treat their drivers like actual employees. at the very second they have to treat their employees like, well, employees, the entire company is bust

Uber/Lyft drivers got the right to unionize in Seattle. Drivers have to have some kind of background checks in Austin. Lots of regulatory opposition in Europe. Uber can't switch to driverless cars fast enough.

- Gawker. They're one defamation suit away from bankruptcy.

- Lower and middle class labor markets. Everything is going to get automated. Journalists Lawyers. Bankers. All "disrupted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Prorat posted:

What is yahoos obsession with having a woman as CEO? Political Correctness is killing their company.