Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think CIG is being cagey about verifying anything because if things goes to court and it's proved that they publicly lied about stuff like that, it could be a problem for them. But if they told the truth and the truth was unpleasant, that's also a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Questions:

1. If I had an EVE account 11 years ago and only played for a month, has my character still been gaining experience?

2. Do you understand game development?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Easy. Do you like spaceships? Yes? Okay. Wait for the $20 Aurora/Mustang packages to go on sale. Enjoy.

I understand buying a jpeg but what does the game offer me? How do i get a better ship without buying one? What is the economy like in-game? Where can i fly to and what can i do? How many people can i expect to be fighting with? you need to convince me please

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

The most recent game this guy said star citizen beat was released in 2003. Thats 13 loving years. Its X2. He doesnt say the flight model is better than x3 though, which came out in 2005

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BeefThief posted:

Questions:

1. If I had an EVE account 11 years ago and only played for a month, has my character still been gaining experience?

1. No. But if you log in for 10 minutes now, you can set yourself up for the next 11 years. It's great.
2. Yes.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay, look at it this way:

Bootcha's suffered a lot at the hands of the SC fanbase because he was a private investor who was having doubts about the project and he had an even more on-site experience than you did. He can also confirm that Sandi was very friendly and accommodating to him personally. He was also there for a lot of the staff turnover, couldn't really avoid the rumors of malfeasance or mistreatment by management, and also personally knew people who for various reasons are no longer with CIG.

Beer's emails have had a lot of suspicion cast on them by people who have an emotional investment in the Star Citizen project, and have openly challenged their authenticity publicly, in writing. But when Beer offered to validate these emails to them, they suspiciously went silent.

You're asking me to believe you over them in spite of this, solely because you consider yourself to be a friend of Sandi's and were on TNGS.

I'm not asking you to believe anything. I'm saying I don't spend much time in this thread because it turns my stomach.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I can see everyone's work in progess, read developer comments and post my own.

Think Facebook for Star Citizen.

lol

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

BeefThief posted:

Questions:

1. Maybe

2. Two weeks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fuzzy Modem posted:

WC 3
Freespace
Freespace 2
Starlancer
Freelancer
Independence War 2
X2

Star Citizen's flight model is far superior, to say nothing of its quality in other areas.
Other areas such as "actually having a game", right?

Wait, this thing still hasn't come out?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I'm not asking you to believe anything. I'm saying I don't spend much time in this thread because it turns my stomach.

That's ok. It's a pretty natural reaction to the realisation that your entire belief system is crumbling down. Again, look at Bootcha's story of discovery.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Did Fuzzy show up only after the pic of the merman showed up? I'm sensing a direct link.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Elite: Dangerous is a space game that was funded after SC's original drive and released before any public demos. Why can't SC just rip this game off and be done with it?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

oh so sorry we have no idea if there are even milestones being worked toward or design documents or anything like you do because you have this shotgun and all we have is "open development"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

G0RF posted:

Or we are telling the truth about a person he's never met and it sounds like poo poo because...
I took that and meant it in the sense of saying negative things rather than falsehoods.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

myschef posted:

The most recent game this guy said star citizen beat was released in 2003. Thats 13 loving years. Its X2. He doesnt say the flight model is better than x3 though, which came out in 2005

I didn't play X3.

Nation posted:

I understand buying a jpeg but what does the game offer me? How do i get a better ship without buying one? What is the economy like in-game? Where can i fly to and what can i do? How many people can i expect to be fighting with? you need to convince me please

Well, don't stress it. Fly your $20 Aurora or Mustang around and shoot at other spaceships for now, and see what happens in the future. If you like spaceships as much as I do, that's already enough incentive. If not, spend that $20 on a movie and popcorn. Probably won't cover a drink though.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Ramadu posted:

Why would they need to cut features to get it out if the money dried up? People already paid them the money they budgeted for all of those goals and like 60 million more. That right there seems to call the management of the project and the budgeting into question doesn't it?

ask fuzzy modem they(Chris and him) seem to have a notion to change things if what they promise they do is not possible and remember it is not a lie,that is life.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Elite: Dangerous is a space game that was funded after SC's original drive and released before any public demos. Why can't SC just rip this game off and be done with it?

Because Chris' ego would self-destruct, possibly taking the rest of him with it.
I mean, imagine if 97% of your insides suddenly deflated or outright disappeared. What a mess it would be!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Then, with your level of access and close personal friendship, I expect you can definitively and beyond doubt prove all these assertions completely false, correct?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, also Beer, whose emails CIG refuses to help verify and who backers and CIG supporters cast aspersions on but who refuse to actually verify their suspicions lest they be proven wrong.

There are four possibilities here:
1. The emails are faked, CIG has had their legal team send Beer a letter to retract/apologise which he has so far either ignored or had a legal response sent to refusing to do this.
2. The emails are faked, CIG has ignored them and is doing nothing.
3. The emails are real, CIG has had their legal team send Beer a letter to retract/apologise which he has so far either ignored or had a legal response sent to refusing to do this.
4. The emails are real and CIG doesn't want to go near them in legal action because it would be a PR disaster.

2 is the least likely situation here, given Beer's previous visibility in the SC community and also their response to the Escapist. If 1 were true, I couldn't see Beer refusing a request that would avoid further legal action with the possibility of having to pay damages/legal fees, it would be financial suicide. Beer hasn't mentioned any legal request to remove the emails and/or apologise over the matter or any kind of response from CIG so then we're left with option 4. If Sandi did write those emails herself, going anywhere near them legally would be a minefield for CIG to navigate and would be throwing more fuel on to the flames of doubters and sceptics.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

fuzzy, is there anything you think that cig has done wrong or could have done differently?

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

You can't entirely blame Fuzzy for naming those games though. In CR's pitches he does paint a picture of a game that hearken back to those days and those games.

Except he then did everything wrong and then we are here today.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I didn't play X3.

Well, don't stress it. Fly your $20 Aurora or Mustang around and shoot at other spaceships for now, and see what happens in the future. If you like spaceships as much as I do, that's already enough incentive. If not, spend that $20 on a movie and popcorn.

You are terrible at convincing me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head and making them buy spaceships. Hell, you want to try an actually expensive hobby? Play hockey. Or go skiing.

Late, but I would just like to point this is about as dumb as an argument can be.

If they were buying actual in-game $2,500 spaceships it still would be taking advantage of fools, but at least they would have a spaceship.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I can see everyone's work in progess, read developer comments and post my own.

Think Facebook for Star Citizen.

Wait, wait, wait...So you're saying the "most open development ever" has a secret extra level of development only open to a few? What the gently caress?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay, look at it this way:

Bootcha's suffered a lot at the hands of the SC fanbase because he was a private investor who was having doubts about the project and he had an even more on-site experience than you did. He can also confirm that Sandi was very friendly and accommodating to him personally. He was also there for a lot of the staff turnover, couldn't really avoid the rumors of malfeasance or mistreatment by management, and also personally knew people who for various reasons are no longer with CIG.

Beer's emails have had a lot of suspicion cast on them by people who have an emotional investment in the Star Citizen project, and have openly challenged their authenticity publicly, in writing. But when Beer offered to validate these emails to them, they suspiciously went silent.

You're asking me to believe you over them in spite of this, solely because you consider yourself to be a friend of Sandi's and were on TNGS.
  1. Bootcha actually isn't confirmed as an investor with CIG
  2. He clearly doesn't have a shotgun account and lacks my level of insight and interaction with Sandi personally
  3. He clearly misrepresented her actions because of his personal issues/real life problems/disagreements about the project's direction
  4. Well her reaction was clearly provoked through the anonymous online hate campaign
  5. None of us were there, so I guess we'll never know for sure. I sure do like to presume innocence in these matters
It's exhausting trying to uphold a discussion with people who have no intention of ever conceding regardless of what argument or proof is presented.

Fuzzy, it's fine you're friends with Sandi, really. But you can't expect anyone to regard you as anything but a representative of CIG in these matters, seeing as how you're obviously personally invested it and seem inclined to regard statements about Sandi as if they were directed at you yourself.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

He's completely unable to give anything resembling a direct clear answer to anything.

Oh here's maybe an easy one for EightAce. Verify Fuzzy's Shotgun account.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

You are terrible at convincing me

Then you must not like spaceships, and this is definitely not the game for you, and that's okay. Not everything has to be for everyone.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Modem posted:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

And follow up - then why post here? You can't think you're going to turn anyone's mind here. Hell pretty sure its already been well established via the comments thrown your way that won't happen. So then why post? To troll? To ensure your side is represented (it already was mind you)? Seriously, what's the point if it "turns your stomach"?

Not saying get out, I just sincerely want to know what's your objective/end goal here.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

1. Bootcha actually isn't confirmed as an investor with CIG
  2. He clearly doesn't have a shotgun account and lacks my level of insight and interaction with Sandi personally
  3. He clearly misrepresented her actions because of his personal issues/real life problems/disagreements about the project's direction
  4. Well her reaction was clearly provoked through the anonymous online hate campaign
  5. None of us were there, so I guess we'll never know for sure. I sure do like to presume innocence in these matters
It's exhausting trying to uphold a discussion with people who have no intention of ever conceding regardless of what argument or proof is presented.

Fuzzy, it's fine you're friends with Sandi, really. But you can't expect anyone to regard you as anything but a representative of CIG in these matters, seeing as how you're obviously personally invested it and seem inclined to regard statements about Sandi as if they were directed at you yourself.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

And follow up - then why post here? You can't think you're going to turn anyone's mind here. Hell pretty sure its already been well established visa the comments thrown your way that won't happen. So any then posy? To troll? To ensure your side is represented (it already was mind you)? Seriously, what's the point if it "turns your stomach"?

Not saying get out, I just sincerely want to know what's your objective/end goal here.

I don't really care about any of this silly conspiracy theory bullshit. I really just wanted to talk about playing Star Citizen with my rad new mouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyXvApICPnE

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 3, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
An entirely reasonable point somehow survives first contact with /starcitizen...

quote:

"I don't see how they can keep up the ~$2-3,000,000 they need every month to keep the lights on & developing by selling new JPGs to old backers, especially given the subtle but pervasive change in tone amongst many of the backers since the goalposts got moved on Star Marine. The current Free-Fly Weekend is barely breaking even every day, so it doesn't look like it's drumming up a ton of sales either. I'd have waited until the tutorials & party system were in before showing it off to the public, but I can understand the need to get some hype after the 10FTC fiasco last week. (It also seems like there's always a promo on lately, it's been 6-7 weeks since there wasn't a "limited" ship up for sale.)

CIG has gone from a scrappy little dev studio to a sprawling multinational & has some pretty stiff upkeep & staff costs (even with a quarter of the positions unfilled) that constantly eat into the bottom line. The horribly inefficient patch system that costs them tens of thousands of dollars per (ludicrously large) patch doesn't help either (amazed that's not more of an engineering/dev priority, since it's literally burning money and goodwill to have such large & ungainly patch sizes). They've overhunted the whales, the not-fanatical are starting to get concerned & the PCMR is only so large. Consoles are a huge market & I don't think CIG can leave that money on the table & continue development on the scale required to turn the engine tech demo we have now into something that substantively resembles the game Chris pitched in 2012 (CIGs refund-refusing boilerplate notwithstanding)."
Is this somebody here? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the alts...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

avoiding any real discussion and regurgitating the standard citizen talking points is good

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It's like facebook but for game development.

Reading it is all I need to be assured that everything is actually going really well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I don't really care about any of this silly conspiracy theory bullshit. I really just wanted to talk about playing Star Citizen with my rad new mouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyXvApICPnE

Lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nice troll attempt you almost got me

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Then you must not like spaceships, and this is definitely not the game for you, and that's okay. Not everything has to be for everyone.

hahaha now you just convinced me that the Cult of Chris Roberts is worst than Scientology.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Honestly saying Star Citizen is a better game than Wing Commander 3 is a pretty sick burn.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ghostlight posted:

I took that and meant it in the sense of saying negative things rather than falsehoods.
No, I get you. I was just saying one man's "talking poo poo about my friends" could be another man's "telling the truth about my friends that I don't want to believe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dad game

• Locked thread