Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I hope all modern journalism dies, no more twitternews and bored interns posting blogs with no fact checking.
Bring back guys in smart coats and hats holding little notepads and looking for THE SCOOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I hope all modern journalism dies, no more twitternews and bored interns posting blogs with no fact checking.
Bring back guys in smart coats and hats holding little notepads and looking for THE SCOOP

gently caress yes.
Actually I'll be happy if they just bring back proper hat wearing.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
There's a Books-A-Million around where I live that is inexplicably still open. There used to be another one, but they closed it down back in the early 00s. Pretty sure the company meant to close the other store as well but just forgot. The employees still show up for work everyday despite having not been paid for 15 years.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Prorat posted:

What is yahoos obsession with having a woman as CEO? Political Correctness is killing their company.

Not just CEOs.

quote:

Anderson also says his supervisors, in particular Chief Marketing Officer Kathy Savitt, favored female workers. When Savitt began at Yahoo, top managers in the "Media Org" were less than 20 percent female, the complaint states. Three years later, they were more than 80 percent female.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
You know what I like you guys, so I'll let you in on a one of a kind, on time only secret. Buy Low, Sell High.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Chinatown posted:

so whats it like to be really loving dumb

highly underrated.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Vastarien posted:

There's a Books-A-Million around where I live that is inexplicably still open. There used to be another one, but they closed it down back in the early 00s. Pretty sure the company meant to close the other store as well but just forgot. The employees still show up for work everyday despite having not been paid for 15 years.

The last time I as in a Books-A-Million it had more Duck Dynasty paraphernalia than actual books.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I work in the semiconductor manufacturing field. Am I hosed?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
capitalism in general

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dreezy posted:

Yahoo: don't know anyone who seriously uses yahoo.com anymore except me to check the email address i use to sign up for poo poo i never want to hear from.

Chipotle: apparently all it takes is one freak couple dozen cases of severe e. coli outbreak to take a fairly decent chain to its knees. guess we're all going to moe's.

K-mart: might have been flushed already.

Yahoo and Kmart are pro tier drain circlers theyve been at it for multiple decades and are now firmly held in the loop by centrifugal force. Yea death to chipotle though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

apple

iphone sales have been flat for years now, the smartphone market is saturated everywhere with the infrastructure for people to use smartphones, the iwatch is such a flop that apple had to change their accounting practices to avoid disclosing sales numbers to their shareholders, and apple is innovating on the ipad now by stealing MS suirface features that steve jobs swore they would never ever adopt (stylus and physical keyboard)

the apple bubble is going to pop any day now

Youre dumb and/or possibly do not understand the saying "circling the drain"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

didn't a bunch of chain restaurants already have a bunch of severe e. coli problems that killed a bunch of people but are still around? I feel like the whole Chipotle thing is just a repeat of something that happened in the 90's with like jack in the box and some kind of salad place

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Earwicker posted:

didn't a bunch of chain restaurants already have a bunch of severe e. coli problems that killed a bunch of people but are still around? I feel like the whole Chipotle thing is just a repeat of something that happened in the 90's with like jack in the box and some kind of salad place

what sort of chain of fast food restaurants are you unless you've had a mild-to-significant e coli incident

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Chipotle finally made it out here a few years ago so I went to check it out. Triple the price and 1/3 the portions compared to my local hole in the wall Mexican place. Plus the food was bland as gently caress. I don't get it. Real Mexican restaurants and fake-Americanized Mexican restaurants are both better and cheaper than that shithole.

The Dregs has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Feb 3, 2016

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Woden posted:

AMD: They're making worse and worse processors, have nothing left to sell off and only get money from console sales.

AMD hasn't been competitive in processors in years, they need to drop out of that market anyway, because even their graphics cards are falling further and further behind Nvidia.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
once you, the average fellow, knows a company is struggling, me, the educated investor has already shorted, replaced board members, hacked the computers, etc

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

how is radio shack still alive

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Microsoft
The American South
Puerto Rico

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One day some actually smart people in the stock market will look at Facebook, rally together, and just collectively go "nah... a company that continually loses money, buys things, and loses more money is not worth a hundred dollars per user for information these people are giving away for free elsewhere too".

Not sure it's a drain circler, but it's a credulence-circler.

Otoh it is somewhat cool that its CEO completely understands this and opted to give away a lot of money based on their current share price while the going was good.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Propane and propane accessories.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

Pretty much every company based around oil is getting hosed right now. BP is losing more money this year than right after the Gulf spill. And small companies without a ton of capital are just going belly up.

Coal companies are making GBS threads themselves to death as well, since the writing is very clearly on the wall for coal.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
microsoft

google

lockheed martin

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
berkshire hathaway

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly can't wait for the tech bubble to pop because real estate that's not in Sacramento should become affordable, plus maybe I can get a sweet deal on a slightly used 2015 BMW that's been leased 20 times to retards

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyway I seriously have no idea how companies like Twitter that have no non-VC/stock revenue last this long

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

dstyle posted:

sears is just a front operation and tax shelter for the mafia and/or the reptilians, nobody has actually bought anything from sears ever despite it being around for over a century.
source:i used to work at sears

I have purchased a refrigerator and a lawnmower from Sears in the last few months. Probably still true.

McDonald's
http://www.eater.com/2016/2/2/10898588/mcdonalds-mozzarella-sticks-lawsuit-class-action

Don't think they have the resources to fight off this legitimate lawsuit. Who would have thought their cheese sticks didn't contain the highest quality fresh mozzarella?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bob James posted:

Propane and propane accessories.

Now this is just a lie propane and propane accessories will continue to be the most efficient and clean burning fuel for a wide variety of purposes not the least of which is the good old fashioned American barbecue grill

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
How in the hell is Eddie Lampert still CEO of Sears?

Is Blimpie still around? There was one where I grew up and it was pretty drat good, a LOT better than Subway.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shoophobo posted:

Quiznos.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a quiznos

There used to be a quiznos around here that I would go to. I never met the owner but the employees were constantly complaining about what a cheapskate he was. Apparently one day he just up and hosed off. The employees eventually stopped coming in, probably due to not getting paid anymore, and there was this weird notice of abandonment thing on the door.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I have bought one (1) item from Sears, ever

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

counterfeitsaint posted:

There used to be a quiznos around here that I would go to. I never met the owner but the employees were constantly complaining about what a cheapskate he was. Apparently one day he just up and hosed off. The employees eventually stopped coming in, probably due to not getting paid anymore, and there was this weird notice of abandonment thing on the door.

Ghost Quiznos.

If you listen at night on a full moon you can hear this playing ever so quietly in the distance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Humboldt Squid posted:

Coal companies are making GBS threads themselves to death as well, since the writing is very clearly on the wall for coal.
There's hundreds of years of coal left, they should chill out. It's still a lot of energy in a tight little package.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Vastarien posted:

i worked for BAM from about 2001 - 2004, and you would not believe how cheaply they run everything.

i got fired for stealing :10bux: that i didnt steal - corporate set up LP sting operations and some random guy handed me a $10 dollar bill while i was away from the register doing stock for a book light he had in his hand and left. i put the bill in my apron intending to ring it up after i got done stocking. the bill sat in my apron for the next 2 months until i got called into the office and fired by that random guy.

thats my books a million story

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Krustic posted:

McDonald's
http://www.eater.com/2016/2/2/10898588/mcdonalds-mozzarella-sticks-lawsuit-class-action

Don't think they have the resources to fight off this legitimate lawsuit. Who would have thought their cheese sticks didn't contain the highest quality fresh mozzarella?

Of course not, anyone would figure that it's probably fake poo poo, but this doesn't matter if McD's actually said it was "100 percent cheese" and "real mozzarella."

e: also I figured this would be about the thing where they've been overfrying the sticks leading to sticks with no cheese in them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

AMD being super hosed that if they get bought out / sold they lose the x86 license.

intel licenses x86-64 back from AMD though because they beat them to market so this could easily get really retarded

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Broenheim posted:

circuit city? i think thats a thing.

Good news!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Happy Bear Suit posted:

how is radio shack still alive

it aint :rip:

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

I work in the semiconductor manufacturing field. Am I hosed?

The end of Moore's law means you aren't so high up the R&D ladder now, so yes since all that work will go to China/Vietnam in a couple of years.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
at least one of the plethora of video game accessory companies is going to go out of business this year

razer

roccat

thermaltake

coolermaster

etc.

markets a bit crowded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Dregs posted:

Chipotle finally made it out here a few years ago so I went to check it out. Triple the price and 1/3 the portions compared to my local hole in the wall Mexican place. Plus the food was bland as gently caress. I don't get it. Real Mexican restaurants and fake-Americanized Mexican restaurants are both better and cheaper than that shithole.

By saying the words "Fresh" 5 billion times Chipotle convinced fat and stupid people that they where healthy.