Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How many female generals are there in the world's military today, compared to men? How many were there in the German Reich? LoGH isn't Star Trek, it doesn't have any aspirations to portray a post-feminist future where all social ills have been worked out and equality, liberty, and fraternity are the order of the day. (Trek is also something of a sausage fest but you get what I mean.) In fact a major part of the theme of LoGH is that the liberal-democratic concept of moral progress is at best subject to arbitrary will of the people -- in the right context, the public's ideas of moral progress can be harnessed to excuse military coups d'etat, rise of fascist dictatorship, enactment of eugenic massacres -- and at worst, self-serving bullshit wielded by opportunist magnates to justify their ambition. "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same." There are female characters in the military and political spheres the show portrays, and they are the exception rather than the rule, as they are today, and they have to contend with varying degrees of sexism in those spheres, as they do today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

skasion posted:

How many female generals are there in the world's military today, compared to men? How many were there in the German Reich? LoGH isn't Star Trek, it doesn't have any aspirations to portray a post-feminist future where all social ills have been worked out and equality, liberty, and fraternity are the order of the day. (Trek is also something of a sausage fest but you get what I mean.) In fact a major part of the theme of LoGH is that the liberal-democratic concept of moral progress is at best subject to arbitrary will of the people -- in the right context, the public's ideas of moral progress can be harnessed to excuse military coups d'etat, rise of fascist dictatorship, enactment of eugenic massacres -- and at worst, self-serving bullshit wielded by opportunist magnates to justify their ambition. "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same." There are female characters in the military and political spheres the show portrays, and they are the exception rather than the rule, as they are today, and they have to contend with varying degrees of sexism in those spheres, as they do today.

I don't think sexism is something that LOGH ever addresses though.

There are definitely women in positions of authority in civilian and military positions as well as in the Kaiser's court but a lot of the characters could easily have been women without any change to the story or the underlying themes it addresses.

I think it was just a case of :japan: rather than any deliberate attempt to highlight the inequality between the sexes throughout history.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Whether it was deliberate or not pretty much doesn't matter at all. Unintentional or tacit commentary on the role of women is still commentary on the role of women. The empire doesn't promote women to positions of military and political power because it's explicitly a patriarchal aristocracy where women are, if not exactly chattels, definitely at the mercy of a male guardian, and a liberal democratic audience watching the show can understand that because it fits with our historically informed preconceptions of what patriarchal aristocracies are like.

However, while in the alliance women seem to be much more emancipated and legally responsible, the alliance also doesn't really have many women in positions of military and political power. And that some people in the audience find uncomfortable and troubling because it doesn't suit their preconceptions of what a liberal democratic society should be like, despite the fact that in the actual liberal democratic societies in which they live (and Japanese society in particular), women aren't really found in positions of military and political power in any great number. To change this fact would have been in a certain sense untrue to the world in which we actually live. It would have been a significant change to one of the big themes of the show, that liberal democratic societies are fond of talking the talk, but not so fond of actually doing any of the idealistic things it claims to be based in. The most powerful woman in the show doesn't attain power by being elected to office by the ostensibly sympathetic democratic-republican social system, she gets it by being the right arm of an enlightened despot. It's not presented as a negative thing that neither side has gender equality in the admiralty because it's not seriously considered a negative thing in our society today, of which the FPA is a critique, and it sure wasn't considered a negative thing in the premodern societies the empire is riffing off of.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

However, while in the alliance women seem to be much more emancipated and legally responsible, the alliance also doesn't really have many women in positions of military and political power.

Just poking in to remind you of Jessica Edwards, her campaign, and the fact that she was winning up until the thing.

Also that 1 of the 6? people that made up the Alliance's cabinet was a woman. Though I'll readily admit that while she was probably inconsequential, she did have the loudest voice in continuing the war efforts against the empire.

e: Dominique is an interesting woman in the show, though it's not clear how much power/influence she actually holds throughout.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 2, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Just poking in to remind you of Jessica Edwards, her campaign, and the fact that she was winning up until the thing.

Also that 1 of the 6? people that made up the Alliance's cabinet was a woman. Though I'll readily admit that while she was probably inconsequential, she did have the loudest voice in continuing the war efforts against the empire.

e: Dominique is an interesting woman in the show, though it's not clear how much power/influence she actually holds throughout.

All the women not named Annerose are interesting characters, and it's a drat shame one of them misses out on being trained by the most dangerous hand-to-hand combatant in the series.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I thought Annerose was a pretty interesting character. We just didn't get to see more of her.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Jessica is a great example of what I mean: a committed, fearless, pretty much indisputably righteous social activist who gets a "guards, this woman has lost her composure" and a jackboot to the head. I'm not saying that there's no strong female characters in LoGH, or even that none of them try to exert large-scale influence, but rather that they're shown to represent a small proportion of those in the corridors of power and on the front lines.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Jessica is a great example of what I mean: a committed, fearless, pretty much indisputably righteous social activist who gets a "guards, this woman has lost her composure" and a jackboot to the head. I'm not saying that there's no strong female characters in LoGH, or even that none of them try to exert large-scale influence, but rather that they're shown to represent a small proportion of those in the corridors of power and on the front lines.

THe FPA and Empire share this fault, and is representative of both of them sucking massive balls.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

I won't disagree with your general message, but as far as Truniht's quote goes - he is clearly not supposed to be the person that the viewer or the characters in the show were supposed to empathize with in that scenario. Drawing attention to the idea that there are people in this show (who are baddies) who infantilize women is not the same as the show promoting sexism.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sarcophallus posted:

I won't disagree with your general message, but as far as Truniht's quote goes - he is clearly not supposed to be the person that the viewer or the characters in the show were supposed to empathize with in that scenario. Drawing attention to the idea that there are people in this show (who are baddies) who infantilize women is not the same as the show promoting sexism.

Many of the good guys don't have healthy attitudes towards women, either. Most notably Reuenthal. He actually gets called out on it, but there's also Schenkopp and Poplan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
LOGH isn't really a show I think of in terms of good guys and bad guys. There are good and bad people on both sides, and the good people aren't always consistently good. There's also the whole theme of war making saints out of sinners, the difference between a war hero and a war criminal being who won and who lost. Yang at one point even comments he ranks among the greatest mass murders in human history, millions of soldiers having lost their lives on his orders, because of his maneuvers and mistakes.

I'm not fond of the way Schenkopp and Poplan treat women, but I don't consider the narrative's indifference to this a "Failure" or a "Problem." There are also several characters with more positive views on women and healthier relationships just in general. They're all human beings and they've all been thrown together to risk their lives in the giant melting pot of war; some are like this, some are like that; some are good, some are bad, but most are somewhere in between. It'd be weirder to me to pretend people like that doesn't exist, especially since they will likely continue to exist well into the future.

In any case, Schenkopp's dalliances at least aren't shown to be without consequence considering he's got a daughter who's old enough to serve in the military and she hates him for being a deadbeat dad.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
so what's the deal with Yang being all weird about Mashengo in that one episode? Did we ever figure that out? is Yang racist?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I interpreted that as Yang whining about the loss of his command authority, he wasn't supposed to be on board his ship, and his kid went and bought his friend/bodyguard along anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I remember being annoyed about that as well. I probably posted about it. iirc Yang says something like "What is this?" while looking at Mashengo, who is a true hero btw.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Chas McGill posted:

Mashengo, who is a true hero btw.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
maybe it just goes with what bad seaford says about characters being complex. like yang is a galactic hero, but hates blacks?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't that the only time in the series he says something like that?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

thunderchief posted:

maybe it just goes with what bad seaford says about characters being complex. like yang is a galactic hero, but hates blacks?

He doesn't seem to have any issue with Sitolet...?
Actually, does the diverse alliance side really only have 2 black people total, and one of them a big guy body-guard, or am I forgetting something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC that image is taking that scene waaaay out of context.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yang is just confused about black kirchies walking around.

There also the black alliance guy during yang's escape from the alliance around ep60

Seriously though if you think that was supposed to be yang portrayed as racist and not a silly joke i dont know how you get through day to day life.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Actually, does the diverse alliance side really only have 2 black people total, and one of them a big guy body-guard, or am I forgetting something?

The alliance is made up of refugees from the empire, a state literally founded on ethnic nationalism and organized mass murder. I don't think it's stretching things too far to assume there's a bit of genocide at fault for everyone in the future being white.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It seemed pretty clear to me when I was doing my watch through that Yang was freaking because people were going over his head in imposing a bodyguard on him even in the command deck of his Flagship where he felt safe and didn't feel the need to be guarded 24/7. Or am I missing :thejoke:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I had read previously - don't recall where - that that was a transliteration, and that in context he's not literally dehumanizing a cool dude.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DMM game's out.

Looks Kantai as gently caress. Music's good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sarcophallus posted:

I had read previously - don't recall where - that that was a transliteration, and that in context he's not literally dehumanizing a cool dude.

Yeah, its a translation thing. Even in that situation an English speaker would never say that unless they were trying to be rude, but it's hard to think of another phrase CA could have used instead.

e: I mean if you're watching fansubs you have to expect that some things are going to be phrased awkwardly. Maybe they should have just put a *this is not racist* note in.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 4, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wasn't Mashengo introduced as Yang's rescue party at Heinessen? Yang doesnt like to be babied on the lines.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think Mashengo is in the background a little and then is first Frederica's bodyguard when she goes to heinessen, and then is picked for julian's when he goes to phezzan since he was so good at it.

Mashengo is the best at punching out earth church guys too

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

IIRC that image is taking that scene waaaay out of context.

Oh of course, that's what makes it funny.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

OddObserver posted:

It could just be the animators being lazy.

Aside from Yang, how many Chinese dudes are there in the series?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Kegslayer posted:

First one that comes to mind is Chung Wu-Cheng (aka Sandwich Admiral), who is a boss.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

It could just be the animators being lazy.

Bewcock's buddy Cheng Wu-Cheng is pretty prominent. Lin Pao was an Alliance hero during its first war.

OddObserver posted:

There's always this guy

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

Episode 3 of Anime Kiwi is live. It covers episodes 5-8.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Just listened to this. Another Person gets so much poo poo from you two. Hang in there, AP!

You guys have a great show going. It's a shame you talk rather softly because I usually listen to podcasts when I'm driving and I cannot make you guys out when I'm on the highway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Patter Song posted:

Just listened to this. Another Person gets so much poo poo from you two. Hang in there, AP!

You guys have a great show going. It's a shame you talk rather softly because I usually listen to podcasts when I'm driving and I cannot make you guys out when I'm on the highway.

Please don't encourage him. The final product doesn't properly represent what it's like to deal with this.

As for the volume, sorry about that. I tend to mix on the quieter side because it's easier to turn up quiet audio and retain sound quality than it is to do the reverse. I'll nudge Ep 4 up a little bit to see if that fixes things.

ugly
Jul 22, 2003
No clue
Pillbug
I watched this show for the first time by ADTRW's recommendation more than a couple years ago and loved every minute of it. I am currently rewatching it and just got to episode 39. Julian says goodbye to everyone before leaving Iserlohn for Phezzan. Knowing how the series unfolds, this was such a great episode. The interaction between Julian and everyone else just sets the stage for every philosophical position posited by the rest of the series.

Thank you Something Awful for introducing me to this show.

Also

KoldPT posted:

Uuuuhhhhhh I mean,

ugly fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 4, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked the 2 movies and RIP Jean Robert. I called it once I realized he wanted to make a major life decisions.

Here we go again in a new rabbit hole for the next few weeks.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Thanks for the support, the struggle for the truth is hard against Mikey and RB but I think I will pull through and prove them wrong. I got some big guns coming, I think I will win this endless war against me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
As for the question of how familiar the characters are with Earth history of our time or before (discussed above), remember throughout the series that it's supposed to be as chronologically removed from us as we are from Constantine. Someone like Yang Wenli knows about this, but he's a colossal history nerd.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
when do reinhard and siegfried kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In ur dreams 2nite