Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Agrajag posted:

You're buying an actual finished product of good quality with Games Workshop so it really isn't a good replacement for CIG's Star Citizen aka SQ 42 aka PU 2.0 aka Star Marine.

granted unless you're trying to play Tyranids or until GW pulls an Age of Sigmar on it or Squats whatever thousand dollar army you've been playing because of poor sales or a thematic shift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

It's intended to give the illusion of open development. What it really constitutes is a form of public brainstorming - not the same thing. Open development would be showing systems in development; you know, something like a PLAYER INVENTORY which we still do not have any details on, spreadsheets about how the economy is planned, showing completed game maps etc. Open development would say what the backer money paid for (this is NOT the stretch goals page - that is just a bunch of bullshit they made up as a way to show incoming cash "unlocking" content - most of those systems have not been fleshed out or designed beyond the words on that page). Open development would have made it obvious over the course of 2015 that Star Marine was not coming out. They didn't just suddenly know that two weeks ago. That might have been when they made the call, but with open development, the backers would have been there right alongside them, seeing the increasing difficulty. They could have said things like "Star Marine as originally pitched might have to be rethought" and so on, taking months to show the direction it was going and why it was probably going away.

Open development would have follow-ups on earlier stuff. "Remember that thing we showed you last week? These 2 parts didn't work, so we took them out. Here's what it looks like today. Here's what we're hoping to show you next week." And then show it.

Instead of all that, it's just people sitting around talking about what might be cool, just casually shooting the poo poo. Nothing talked about is necessarily related to the game, and nothing in the game is necessarily talked about. In the same way they tossed out the PTU and said "gently caress you, no more refunds, and here's Star Marine btw", they toss out these videos and say "here's your open development, fuckers."

I'd probably say the way Rope Kid managed Pillars of Eternity was/is probably the best example of open development in terms of engaging a large community. Aside from being able to regularly present project status reports that did not constantly generate confusion and unmet expectations, they had a very solid plan to present setting, gameplay and engine details throughout the process to show you where they were going.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

I've taken to just skipping massive portions and trying to guess what happened based on context clues. In this way I will never really know if anything said in this thread is true or not. I call it Reddit Simulator 2016.

What I did when I was 40 pages behind was read only replies. If something is not replied to by anyone then it was probably background noise and by reading the replies you manage to get a general feeling for what issues are being discussed.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

welcome commando o7

were you hooked on the platinum-only content?

That would be a no. I found this thread reading D-Smarts blog and message board. Im a no refund refugee...lol But I am fighting them. FTC complaint and BBB case opened. Just glad to find a place to vent and not get attacked for it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Golden Goat posted:

Lol, reddit's getting super paranoid.

Also:

This is the guy that accused SA of conducting psyops because goons in EVE made him sad and mad. Maybe he should stop inhaling space?!?!

MeLKoR posted:

Nope, that was a solid Dolvak if I ever saw one. "I'm not sure the mails are true but also I don't like care if they're true or anything, you know?"

Well yeah, since when did a journalist ever try to confirm something?

Dumb gently caress-knuckle wouldn't know how to determine newsworthiness even with an editor to hold his nubbly man-baby hand through the process.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't know if there's a word for when a dog is running on a exercise wheel super fast but then it trips and falls and now it's just spinning around and howling.

Maybe there's something in German I don't know.

After fremdschamen I have faith German will deliver.

(Quoting from way back because I do sleep sometimes)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woo. Page Charles XII — only 12 more until Poltava. :sweden:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

100 posts an hour since I went to bed.

illnevercatchupwiththethread.gif

Coffee and lot's of it. :sludgepal:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Post this

Print job proposal from 2013

change it to SQ42

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Lol, reddit's getting super paranoid.

Also:

Denouncing a forum as terrorist sympathisers because they said mean things about a videogame. Definitely a well reasoned and balanced response.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/694883549749583872

lol, this guy

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Christ goons, one sperg pops in with undying support for Sandi and this bullshit project that everyone except for zealots knows to be complete poo poo and you add 900 posts overnight.

Above all else, we should know, don't feed the trolls.

Also, this didn't get enough love:

Scruffpuff posted:

I've heard the phrase "those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it", but less often you hear the related phrase "those who DO study history are doomed to watch others repeat it" and I feel that's the heart and soul of this thread.

Nothing here is new. Chris Roberts has a history of failure and excess both in games and in movies. Now he's trying to make a movie game with backer money and nobody to answer to. We already know how this story ends.

We've seen it literally thousands of times over the years. It's not just Chris Roberts, Peter Molyneux, etc. - no matter the promises made during development, once you buy the game and load it up, within minutes you're seeing the "gamification" of the promised systems. You can see how they worked around limits, you can figure out the metagame, etc. It has always been like this, and it's not changing any time soon. Even if this comes out, within hours there will be wikis online telling people all the shortcuts through everything.

For every player who thinks he's gonna hide in a crate to be a space stowaway, there will be 100 players who are bunny-hopping all over the server rushing the shotgun respawns. For every player who wants to mine an asteroid, there are 100 who have memorized the most profitable run through the system and have been strip-mining it mercilessly. These fantasies won't just be destroyed by the game itself, but by its players. It simply can't work.

That should be in the OP.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

Post this

Print job proposal from 2013

what, any part of this is real?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DigitalMocking posted:

Christ goons, one sperg pops in with undying support for Sandi and this bullshit project that everyone except for zealots knows to be complete poo poo and you add 900 posts overnight.

I know I shouldn't I can read the signs and all but they're just soooo hungry

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Here in ireland we only drink for drunk not for drink, also anything that isn't amaretto and milk is gross thanks

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3RHzcgrbV8

:yarg:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EminusSleepus posted:

change it to SQ42

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Can you do version with the most important cast member's face from SQ42 instead of the ship?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if the guy who made this back in Jan 2014 regrets his decision.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:eyepop:

AP posted:

Can you do version with the most important cast member's face from SQ42 instead of the ship?
Nayara "Pusher" Fell?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tippis posted:

…and on an unrelated note, EVE gets an FPS tie-in on PC as Dust514 development seems to be winding down.

Between that and Valkyrie, it looks like CCP is taking more and more of a module approach to their PC gaming experience. :haw:

I was loving baffled when Dust 514 was released on PS3 only. I can't think of a more PC only game than EVE. I played it a bit and was really underwhelmed. A new shooter based on UE4 should be great along with Valkyrie.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43z9ge/squadron_42_release_date/

This thread is just surreal. I'm not going to quote all of it.

I think you are being a little harsh, some people just think consumer protection is important.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Don't you think the whole thing is weird enough without that kind of touch? Or are you suggesting that only he could possibly capture and convey the insanity of the whole thing?
Werner is clearly the only one who could do this justice.

quote:

I discovered a videogame film
of human ecstasies

and darkest inner turmoil.

As if there was
a desire in him

to leave the confinments
of his humanness

and bond with the 'verse

Roberts reached out,
seeking a Hollywood encounter

But in doing so, he crossed
an invisible borderline

and produced not game
nor a film

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Reading this thread makes me feel better for buying Starbound.

Also:

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Chalks posted:

I wonder if the guy who made this back in Jan 2014 regrets his decision.

imagine being his parents and hearing that "song" over and over again as he was making it on their family computer in the living room for days and wondering where you went wrong

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chin posted:

It's a spaceship holding a shield like medieval fantasy video game paladins. The concept is silly and stupid.

The game has a spaceship with a giant sword on its side. It is silly. It's a video game.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DigitalMocking posted:

what the gently caress thread have you been reading for the past 1,697 pages?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

40-Degree Day posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel better for buying Starbound.

I'm so sorry :ohdear:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Will there be dinosaurs in the game? Apart from Chris Roberts, I mean.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

The game has a spaceship with a giant sword on its side. It is silly. It's a video game.

Being silly and being "realistic" is contradictory though. But Cobblers tries to be as realistic as possible (thruster locations, power, …). It doesn't help the ships have no mass and inertia though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Will there be dinosaurs in the game? Apart from Chris Roberts, I mean.

Where have you been? Procedural bird tech was announced months ago!

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

darkarchon posted:

I'm so sorry :ohdear:

It gets easier as time goes on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DOMDOM posted:

Werner is clearly the only one who could do this justice.

quote:

I discovered a videogame film
of human ecstasies

and darkest inner turmoil.

As if there was
a desire in him

to leave the confinments
of his humanness

and bond with the 'verse

Roberts reached out,
seeking a Hollywood encounter

But in doing so, he crossed
an invisible borderline

and produced not game
nor a film

:golfclap:

TTerrible posted:

I was loving baffled when Dust 514 was released on PS3 only. I can't think of a more PC only game than EVE. I played it a bit and was really underwhelmed. A new shooter based on UE4 should be great along with Valkyrie.

Yeah, the story of how it came to be is a bit confusing to this day. On a conceptual level, I can understand the idea of making it for consoles to capture a different market and not “compete” with EVE. This was back in the day when they were chasing new customers with Incarna and WoD and other expansions of their IP library, after all, so while it perhaps wasn't the best of plans, at least there was some sense to it. The PS3-only bit was if anything a setback, as I understand it, after Microsoft refused to let them connect to anything outside of XBox Live, so the exclusive PS3 launch happened more by default than by choice.

It rather raises the question of how long it actually took before they started looking at PC again, since the first iteration of this game (Legion) was presented back in 2014, just a year after Dust properly went live.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That Works posted:

We've conquered this person.

Been going through this guy's history

practically encouraged? :dawkins101:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 3, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

StarbloodKiss posted:

Sorry, nonono. I didn't get banned from the Discord, I got banned from the RSI chat. The discord chat has actually been super nice, everyone there is really talkative. A real good bunch of people.

Hey! Are you that piece of sh *t whale who reported me to the CIG mods and got me banned for messaging you Lowtax's offer? Huh? ARE YOU!?!?!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nayara "Pusher" Fell?

That's it I believe.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

WebDog posted:

Is whisky chat still on? I don't have cats, but I have a whisky hangar shelf.

Also this is Australia, so on average each bottle is around $30USD.

Is that a bottle of Woodford hiding in the back?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Even if this is all Star Citizen ever is, I would play it all the time

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Troll paranoia pervades the 'Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Wafflz posted:

Even if this is all Star Citizen ever is, I would play it all the time

Meh ultraimg is blocked at work. Can anyone rehost that image?

• Locked thread