Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Let's do our daily Massclaim Poll.

The current stakes:
The Cop role is gone. The Doc role is inherited. Five Versatile Backups remain. There has been one night of Tracking data, but presumably nobody was tracked visiting AnonNarc. There is one night of Jailing data, which may or may not have stopped a kill by either jailing the Scum nightkiller or the Scum target.

I say the time is not yet right. &&Massclaim: no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

abruptly changing tack on a player is a pretty good scum tell imo

I wouldn't call it abruptly. We had three major events happen in between me suspecting Cog and me accusing Lumpen. We had the lynch on Gulag 1.0, we had him flip as cop, and we had ANarc get nightkilled and revealed as doctor. The last one doesn't enter in, but I'd say the first two are sufficient grounds to reanalyze who I think is scum. Like, am I supposed to not take new information into account? Hell, like I said in another post, Gulag1 being town gives credence to Cog being town in my mind: my suspicion of Cog hinged on "no town would support a plan this crazy" and then it turned out that a town, and a valuable town, was supporting a plan that crazy, so clearly my assumption is flawed. Compared to "hey let's lynch the last minute claim cop and be around after he claims and encourage that then get on someone's case for doing just that" I'd be stupid to think Cog was the bigger scum.

We've got a small group of people accusing me of abruptly changing my mind. One of them is Lumpen, who's been on me since day 1. why? Because of supposed scum tells? Every single thing I seem to do is scummy...except that wouldn't you expect that the rest of my scum team would then reign me in? Unless they're all a bunch of incompetents, all I'd be doing at this point is sabotaging my own team. Like, is there some 9th dimensional chess where throwing a scum power role this early is worth it? Hell, my biggest supporter replaced out so I'm literally thrown to the wolves here, and for what gain?

The case against me boils down to: I made some iffy contentless posts on day 1 (was still feeling my way around), a joke post about how Podima, noted BSG fan, made a bureaucrat a ninja and an awful ASOIAF pun, and that I voted someone who I'd said I suspected as scum because I was afraid he was going to get off on a last minute claim when most players weren't around anyway to counterclaim, and that I changed my mind on who I thought was scum based on new information we'd received.

Seriously, that's the case against me. My question I pose to the other townies is this: what do you think about this? Am I scum who's dropping handwritten notes with return addresses here running around looking like an idiot for no gain? Am I town who's making plays that look bad to more experienced players but at least I can explain? Something else?

Here's my theory: Lumpen is scum, and he's trying to get an easy lynch going by going after someone who made a similar play as him but he can make a better case for why they look bad, and he's got his friends in the scumdoc to back him up with "oh yeah he definitely looks scummy based on these posts". I can see the result now:. "Oh no, Trasson was actually town! He totally looked scummy though, am I right? Even if the result wasn't what we wanted, we definitely went about things the right way. Oh, and by the way, this player also looks kind of scummy..."

If you think that sounds like an awful defense, sure, vote me dead. Just remember who initiated this little vote parade after the flip.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

*Went out of your way to make sure the town cop got cuddled
*Trying to seem extra helpful to town to raise your town cred
*Going after low hanging fruit rather than actually scum hunting. (expanding on this one, but your meta case on me and Trasson's super lovely posting are both SUPER easy to chase.)

----

I think Trasson is likely town, for the reasons Asiina posted before you trolled her out of the game.

This is a good post.

Lumpen bringing up the mass claim again trying to act like its a topic that should come back up trying to sway the newbies into making the move but keeping himself off it

##vote lumpen

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

This is a good post.

Lumpen bringing up the mass claim again trying to act like its a topic that should come back up trying to sway the newbies into making the move but keeping himself off it

##vote lumpen
A massclaim will come, it is practically a necessity of the setup. I said D1 that it should be weighed in on each day. By doing a poll on it we can help get the timing right and it allows a more subtle way for people with vital info to reaveal to get the most value out of it. I expect that most people will continue to oppose it today.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
guys metos literally called a guy scum because the guy claimed vanilla town

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

Let's do our daily Massclaim Poll.

The current stakes:
The Cop role is gone. The Doc role is inherited. Five Versatile Backups remain. There has been one night of Tracking data, but presumably nobody was tracked visiting AnonNarc. There is one night of Jailing data, which may or may not have stopped a kill by either jailing the Scum nightkiller or the Scum target.

I say the time is not yet right. &&Massclaim: no

I can see the argument for waiting. Chance at more data before reveal. Plus now doc will be wiped out for good with no backup if killed.

The flip side is we've had a couple people already claim backup and miller and narrow the pool of targets for scum and SK, so the damage is partially already done and waiting, could just as easily lose the tracker and jailer tonight before they get to share anything since the target list is smaller.

I think I'm still leaning slightly favorable to mass claim. Yes. But fine with either outcome.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Another guy is scum because he made a joke about role/flavor when the mod posted the role/flavor doc, because he says its a good cover

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

The flip side is we've had a couple people already claim backup and miller and narrow the pool of targets for scum and SK, so the damage is partially already done and waiting, could just as easily lose the tracker and jailer tonight before they get to share anything since the target list is smaller.

lol how does claiming backup narrow the pool of targets? Claiming backup as scum or SK is the only safe claim to make early game and means nothing because they can just change their claim later when a power role dies.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
oh god nm i see what you are saying

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How is anyone at all thinking of even talking about a claim right now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

JakeP posted:

lol how does claiming backup narrow the pool of targets? Claiming backup as scum or SK is the only safe claim to make early game and means nothing because they can just change their claim later when a power role dies.

If I were SK or scum, I'd be focused on the town power roles for the first few days. That list has narrowed.

I mean, if scum is prioritizing the SK kill or vice versa, then I guess maybe they could target those backup claimers if they think they are faking, but I dunno. Doesn't seem like something I'd personally do.

What would you do?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'd say not claim because it just narrows a list of targets for our enemies more than it makes hunting easier for us.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting perspective

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Updated, here I go again contributing and being helpful, how Scummy of me.

If it doesn't say what you mean, post an explicit list and I will update.

Things to notice: Flying Leatherman still has not posted a single post in D2.
Also imgay is still voting this vote:

imgay posted:

##vote punt what a slip
why

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puntification posted:

Well I'm three pages in and asiina's defo scum...

Who am I meant to be replacing btw?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

If I were SK or scum, I'd be focused on the town power roles for the first few days. That list has narrowed.

I mean, if scum is prioritizing the SK kill or vice versa, then I guess maybe they could target those backup claimers if they think they are faking, but I dunno. Doesn't seem like something I'd personally do.

What would you do?

yeah i get it, at first I read it as if we could narrow who to lynch based on those claims, rather than narrowing the SK and scums kill targets

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

Updated, here I go again contributing and being helpful, how Scummy of me.

If it doesn't say what you mean, post an explicit list and I will update.

Things to notice: Flying Leatherman still has not posted a single post in D2.
Also imgay is still voting this vote:

why

You can add Friction as my third. If I had a fourth I'd probably make it FL at this point as a lurker cuddle.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
we should lynch gulag again so he can replace thecog

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
FL would be a good lynch. Hes scummy and a lurker

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
D2 LumpenList

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
then gulag be like claiming at like -1 im the doctor and jake waking up from a nap would hammer without reading it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

then gulag be like claiming at like -1 im the doctor and jake waking up from a nap would hammer without reading it

i am feeling a bit drowsy....

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

imgay posted:

Puntification posted:

Well I'm three pages in and asiina's defo scum...

Who am I meant to be replacing btw?
Are you contending that your authentic belief is that you don't read that as a joke but as a slip?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Puntification posted:

Having caught up I'd be most happy voting friction and foo (largely for his self-professed policy vote on imgay but also for being wilfully dense about jokes, for those of you who find formatting based cases persuasive the bolding was particularly egregious), I've got question marks scribbled next to about 8 other players on a scrap of paper and I'll expand on them further when I'm not working, but ...

This I find really unbelievable, it is both playing it safe with targets that are lazy/safe - springboarding off someone else's accusations on KB, lurker-scum implications on a ragequitter and encouraging us to :siren: READ THE POST HISTORY :siren: of a notorious shitposter.

When his comments aren't purely descriptive they seem pretty contrived - like it's groping about for stuff to make it look like he's got more to say than he has, the bit about KB's voting someone he thinks is town and the smoke screen stuff for example.

The Honorable Mentions are just filler too that say practically nothing about the people he's mentioning, so I'll drop a vote on this bozo ##vote friction

same

"Playing it safe" with two targets no one else is going after anymore (or at all in your case). Apparently making accusations about someone who replaces out is scum in which God help us if I'm right since no one can safely accuse you. Nice cop out/deflection I guess though. For your last point I've been asking all thread (because guess what I've never played with you gently caress ups before) about imgay's... unique posting style before and no one has bothered to say anything, until I accuse you and suddenly you deign to respond?

This entire posts says a lot of words to discredit me by doesn't actually refute what I said. LOL EZ is not a response. And I don't get your smoke screen comment at all, like am I making a smoke screen or am I pointing out someone else who is? If the latter (I guess with my comment about tv show derails) then how is that not a valid scum hunting tactic?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Cpt. Foo has been posting more like imgay than imgay has in this game. Which I think is kind of unusual for Cpt Foo, compared to how he played in the Mad Max game (where he was Town).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to say that even though metos is scum, all these new players in this game are great, except the cog for asking to replace out

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Oh you think I'm great? You must be scum.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Hello!

Kashuno posted:

How is anyone at all thinking of even talking about a claim right now.

I agree with this post.

I didn't like Lumpen pushing so hard last night even after GulagDolls claimed. Lumpen, other than my not posting until right now, what do you find scummy about my play, or are you still operating off the same assumptions as last game day?

Trasson posted:

I wouldn't call it abruptly. We had three major events happen in between me suspecting Cog and me accusing Lumpen. We had the lynch on Gulag 1.0, we had him flip as cop, and we had ANarc get nightkilled and revealed as doctor. The last one doesn't enter in, but I'd say the first two are sufficient grounds to reanalyze who I think is scum. Like, am I supposed to not take new information into account? Hell, like I said in another post, Gulag1 being town gives credence to Cog being town in my mind: my suspicion of Cog hinged on "no town would support a plan this crazy" and then it turned out that a town, and a valuable town, was supporting a plan that crazy, so clearly my assumption is flawed. Compared to "hey let's lynch the last minute claim cop and be around after he claims and encourage that then get on someone's case for doing just that" I'd be stupid to think Cog was the bigger scum.

We've got a small group of people accusing me of abruptly changing my mind. One of them is Lumpen, who's been on me since day 1. why? Because of supposed scum tells? Every single thing I seem to do is scummy...except that wouldn't you expect that the rest of my scum team would then reign me in? Unless they're all a bunch of incompetents, all I'd be doing at this point is sabotaging my own team. Like, is there some 9th dimensional chess where throwing a scum power role this early is worth it? Hell, my biggest supporter replaced out so I'm literally thrown to the wolves here, and for what gain?

The case against me boils down to: I made some iffy contentless posts on day 1 (was still feeling my way around), a joke post about how Podima, noted BSG fan, made a bureaucrat a ninja and an awful ASOIAF pun, and that I voted someone who I'd said I suspected as scum because I was afraid he was going to get off on a last minute claim when most players weren't around anyway to counterclaim, and that I changed my mind on who I thought was scum based on new information we'd received.

Seriously, that's the case against me. My question I pose to the other townies is this: what do you think about this? Am I scum who's dropping handwritten notes with return addresses here running around looking like an idiot for no gain? Am I town who's making plays that look bad to more experienced players but at least I can explain? Something else?

Here's my theory: Lumpen is scum, and he's trying to get an easy lynch going by going after someone who made a similar play as him but he can make a better case for why they look bad, and he's got his friends in the scumdoc to back him up with "oh yeah he definitely looks scummy based on these posts". I can see the result now:. "Oh no, Trasson was actually town! He totally looked scummy though, am I right? Even if the result wasn't what we wanted, we definitely went about things the right way. Oh, and by the way, this player also looks kind of scummy..."

If you think that sounds like an awful defense, sure, vote me dead. Just remember who initiated this little vote parade after the flip.

The tone of this post sounds genuine to me.

Jake brought up some good points on the stuff Metos has said and I agree that they're super sketchy cases. I'd vote him.

Lumpen if you want to update my chart you can put down yourself, Metos, and Foo

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
That was a joke.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Dammit FL you ruined the flow of me trying to hit 10 in case deal goes down while I'm at work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JakeP posted:

guys metos literally called a guy scum because the guy claimed vanilla town

fuckin lmao, lemme double check on this

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

Dammit FL you ruined the flow of me trying to hit 10 in case deal goes down while I'm at work.

sorry bud!

oh, ##vote metos, money where mouth is

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Deal? Whatever you say autocorrect. See you all in five hours.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Updates appreciated.

~8.5 hours remain in the day.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
When I asked him to explain his 3 scum reads

Metos posted:

Trasson's Billy chat that got brought up seems very much like he's laughing about it being his own role and bringing it out into the spotlight while under complete cover of 'oh they're all public now'. If he's believed to have only seen it recently and is thus not scum its a pretty drat good cover, keeping him out of suspicion while being a murderous scumbag. His scumminess ties into friction's too, see next point

Friction's versatile backup claim is just plain bad for us, either its true and he's useless and won't even soak up bullets for us as the town now, or its a great cover for being scum as there's no way for us to press for more information. Similarly he's gunning for KB who in my mind is totally clean so looks to me like he's trying to shift blame off of other scum (Trasson, who only Friction says is clean and just new) by pushing it onto someone else. Scummy as hell.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Metos posted:

Friction's versatile backup claim is just plain bad for us, either its true and he's useless and won't even soak up bullets for us as the town now, or its a great cover for being scum as there's no way for us to press for more information. Similarly he's gunning for KB who in my mind is totally clean so looks to me like he's trying to shift blame off of other scum (Trasson, who only Friction says is clean and just new) by pushing it onto someone else. Scummy as hell.

ayy lmao

i re-read the claim post and it's basically the equivalent of saying "i'm town so i don't care about dying, especially if it helps get scum"
now the context of that in and of itself is a little weird, i.e. there's no real way friction dying implicates lumpen, which was the thrust of the claim post, but i see where friction was coming from when he said that.

here's the funny thing about a townie being alive, metos - they are useful by virtue of being alive

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whoops ##vote metos

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

JakeP posted:

When I asked him to explain his 3 scum reads

The first point is nonsense, but I agree with the second one. Mass claim is good, but individual claims muck things up for us unless there is a good reason for it. Even though Kash is pretty much confirmed at this point, his claim was bad for us. If Friction was telling the truth, his claim was bad for us.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

King Burgundy posted:

The first point is nonsense, but I agree with the second one. Mass claim is good, but individual claims muck things up for us unless there is a good reason for it. Even though Kash is pretty much confirmed at this point, his claim was bad for us. If Friction was telling the truth, his claim was bad for us.

bad town != scummy, and i think claiming miller right off the bat is always good play, but ymmv on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

What the gently caress does that matter? He was asked why they are scum, not why they are bad mafia players

• Locked thread