Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

the kilrathi look so hilarious awful in this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

drat Dirty Ape posted:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I want to grief this guy so bad, and I'm not really the type of person who griefs in games.

Captain B'tak doesn't seem to be very popular in the RSI forums. I also remember seeing complaints about them on /r/starcitizen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like how he types like this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enchanted Hat posted:

"I sure hope, that Design will force all Citizens (...) to learn Economy 101 and Accounting 101"

I thought the carebears didn't want Star Citizen to turn into EVE 2.0. Also lol at having to learn double entry to play a loving video game, get this guy a game designing contract.

Today's lesson; Sunk cost fallacy. What is it, how to avoid it, and how much does it cost.

Next up; Ponzi schemes; getting rich quick with CiG.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I am amused and slightly worried that you believed it to be a kickstarter campaign with fixed funding.

Cripes. I hope they managed to get some of that sweet Alaskan film industry money. You know, the same poo poo that gives us alien planets that always looked like rural Canada.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Daztek posted:

Obviously, the more effort you put into making it look fancy, the more thought you actually put behind your words.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

Captain B'tak doesn't seem to be very popular in the RSI forums. I also remember seeing complaints about them on /r/starcitizen.

He'll be happy to know that CIG has hard coded in "checks and balances" which will much contain players' attempts at dominance of the Universe environment, in the form of a 16 player limit.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Daztek posted:

It's part of his Design and if you weren't such a Stupid Goon maybe you'd loving realise it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Enchanted Hat posted:

It's part of his Design and if you weren't such a Stupid Goon maybe you'd loving realise it.

Hi zecumbe

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

the ship explosions from this masterpiece cinema are identical to star citizen, amazing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

the kilrathi kill with Wrath...
they're not Meant to look Cute...

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

i imagine croberts hands out a dvd of wing commander to all new employees. Employee then finds a mysterious $20 deduction from first pay check.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did good stuff happen today

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

the kilrathi kill with Wrath...
they're not Meant to look Cute...

i like how croberts basically went "take a klingon and make it cat like"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hanales posted:

Catte has an injury that can't be licked. Old dog sweater to the rescue.

She is not impressed.

Thanks for this pictionary-level explanation of "adding insult to injury"

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

fuzzknot posted:

Obviously, the more effort you put into making it look fancy, the more thought you actually put behind your words.

Capital Letters are the main Ingredients in a Capital Post. Look at this poo poo. One Capital Letter? It's like you're not even trying.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43wx9b/cig_pulling_account_funds_from_backers_to_pay_for/

this is pretty good

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

there is always more and it is always worse

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

also, Derek Smart has to read 30 pages, that's always fun too

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Eonwe posted:

CIG trying to make some dude pay for another dudes chargeback. It's pretty amazing.

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

finished wing commando - rated 5 parps out of 5

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Oh, so I am NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. It took 3 days... 3 freaking days to cut this together...

:siren: https://sendvid.com/yucw76yl :siren:

Just to make someone possibly laugh on the internet. I need help.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy youtube comment batman

:eyepop:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have a feeling they don't actually read these somehow. :ssh:

Have fun. Remind them...

1. There is no 14 day policy indicated anywhere on RSI.com.
2. You have numerous examples of individuals receiving refunds after the 14 days.
3. Chris Roberts is quoted as saying he doesn't want the money of anyone who isn't happy with the project.
4. There is at least one example of an individual being refunded after the 14 day period without even asking for a refund.
5. No product was ever delivered.

Plus all your weird Aussie stuff.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ZenMaster posted:

Oh, so I am NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. It took 3 days... 3 freaking days to cut this together...

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

my favourite thing about b'tak is how he posts authoritatively about how boring lovely minutiae will work in the imaginary game in his head that will never exist

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Good whisky chat earlier, I think I will treat myself to ordering something like highland park 12 yrs old later

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ZenMaster posted:

welp just got chrisrolled

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6320107/#Comment_6320107

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

These are some prime candidate questions for the next reverse the verse. More importantly, can I play this farming gene-splicing mini-game while hiding in a crate for hours while my prey puts me aboard their ship? Will the corn be fully grown by the time I pop out of my crate in order to take over my opponent's ship? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Someone point him at this thread

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

Commandos, question...is this pilgrim poo poo basically croberts ripping off jedis?

Well, it would be, if the signature (and only) power of jedis' would be to be good at "doing maths real good without a calculator!".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

there is always more and it is always worse

holy gently caress, that is some desperation

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

blueberrysmith posted:

These are some prime candidate questions for the next reverse the verse. More importantly, can I play this farming gene-splicing mini-game while hiding in a crate for hours while my prey puts me aboard their ship? Will the corn be fully grown by the time I pop out of my crate in order to take over my opponent's ship? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

I'm going to hide for five hours in a big bag of soil on some guys ship and then jump out and steal all the unsuspecting 'commandos crops when they are busy mixing drinks for each other

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Jason Sextro posted:

What if Fuzzy Modem is Chris Roberts

Fuzzy Modem is SANDI.

Look, Sandi is old enough to know what a modem is, and to use the word "RAD" in passing conversation? She's the only one that out of touch to use that term.
Chris is supposedly busy doing ... whatever it is he does on this project... SANDI is the only one that really has a lot of time to kill on her hands. Between auditions and event planning.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

peter gabriel posted:

Someone took the redpill and they are pissed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

FrankieGoes posted:

Enabling other people's bad behavior is fairly universally considered to be Not A Good Thing. I mean, if you've got a kid with a severe weight problem and you keep bowls of Snickers all over the house and cook a pound of bacon every morning and serve cheeseburgers and french fries and ice cream for every dinner, you're a pretty horrible loving person. "I didn't make him eat all those french fries and candy bars, he chose to do it himself" is not a good defense.

But with SC it isn't just a matter of enabling, their entire business model is based on promoting the bad behavior (these ships are limited, better get one now, this ships are cheap, they're gonna be more after launch, better get that LTI, it's not going to be around forever, etc, etc, etc). Of course most of those claims ended being total bullshit, but that's a separate problem. So SC goes beyond enabling (which is bad), to promoting and encouraging (which is worse).

Yes, we're all adults and are ultimately responsible for our own decisions, but that doesn't mean it isn't morally reprehensible to go to a recovering alcoholics house and leave bottles of vodka all over the place with notes saying "Just have one, it won't hurt, then you go right back on the wagon."

And on top of that, it's horrible for the loving game. The game doesn't even have an economy yet and the economy is already totally borked. Chris' ideas of a reasonable time per $ value in an MMO is so far off the mark that it's insane. Either the ships purchased are a TOTAL rip off in terms of in game value (in which case Chris is a liar and an idiot), or this game will be the grindiest game in the history of the planet by several orders of magnitude (in which case Chris is a liar and an idiot).

As far as accountability, it really depends. "We gave it our best shot and just couldn't do it, sorry, nothing we can do about it" is on one end of the spectrum. "We tried but we constantly made stupid decisions, wasted massive amounts of money on nonsense, spent years hiding massive problems and mistakes so we could keep the money rolling in, made millions of dollars in questionable purchases and deals, paid ourselves exorbitant salaries the entire time, etc" is on the other. At the moment I'd say it looks like we're probably a lot closer to the latter.

Chris told the backers he would treat them like a publisher. That also ended up being total bullshit. Publishers would know how much money he has pissed away on mocap and big name actors and would know precisely WTF happened with Illfonic and SM.

And that's the problem with crowd funding, especially on this massive of a scale. Chris is beholden to absolutely no one. Shitizens even constantly defend the idea, saying it's a private company and he doesn't have to tell us anything and can do whatever he wants with the money. Yeah, a private company funded almost entirely with public money. If this was Chris' 100m dollars it'd be fine if he hired his loving goldfish to be the VP of marketing and spent 75m of the dough on having 100 hours of cutscenes featuring Will Smith and Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp.

But it isn't. I think at the end of this there's going to be a lot of people saying poo poo like "Thank god we've publishers and VCs that will hold these assholes feet to the fire, otherwise we'd never get any decent games at all."

This is a good post, I'm not sure I'd have mentioned the game at all but otherwise I agree.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have a feeling they don't actually read these somehow. :ssh:

BTDT...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

My reply...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Greetings from page 1678. I haven't seen Fuzzy Modem post anywhere in any forum I frequent since he failed to win the Enterprise-F contest for Star Trek Online.

I hope it gets better from here. If Richardson shows up in here to defend him to the death (again), I will be giddy with glee.

• Locked thread