Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Best way of transferring files from my PC to my phone/tablet? WiFi only please.

I like AirDroid. It's overkill for just sending files, but it has a great feature set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Portal is also pretty nice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Dropbox for files, OneDrive for documents and photos, and BitTorrent Sync for videos and comics. :unsmith:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Best way of transferring files from my PC to my phone/tablet? WiFi only please.

Portal from PushBullet can do that well. Air Droid too, and I think there are quite a few FTP Servers on the play store

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok so I'm trying to break free from the garbage facebook app and going to their mobile site only. I'm using Chrome (Beta) and I have notifications enabled but I still can't manage to see any notifications for facebook in the shade or notification bar. Am I missing a step here? m.facebook.com shows up in chrome settings as allowed for notifications.

Do i need to go back to just the non-beta version of Chrome?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

Ok so I'm trying to break free from the garbage facebook app and going to their mobile site only. I'm using Chrome (Beta) and I have notifications enabled but I still can't manage to see any notifications for facebook in the shade or notification bar. Am I missing a step here? m.facebook.com shows up in chrome settings as allowed for notifications.

Do i need to go back to just the non-beta version of Chrome?

I've recently done the same and its amazing how much better my 5x is running

As for notifications, try clearing all the default site settings for all versions of Facebook saved in chrome and then revisit the mobile site. Its still a bit hit and miss, and it doesn't seem to notify you for everything.

Its still worth the trade off though, I just wish I could customise the chrome notification

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Folio is a cool app for wrapping around Facebook web

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I really recommend metal for your Facebook app sucks needs.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Can anyone recommend me a budgeting app that lets you overflow unspent money in a budget to the next month? Like if my initial budget is $150 a month and I don't spend $50 of it, the next month's budget will show I have $200 to spend. I find this much more intuitive for leisure spending.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gyre posted:

Can anyone recommend me a budgeting app that lets you overflow unspent money in a budget to the next month? Like if my initial budget is $150 a month and I don't spend $50 of it, the next month's budget will show I have $200 to spend. I find this much more intuitive for leisure spending.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SpookyLizard posted:

I really recommend metal for your Facebook app sucks needs.

It's just a wrapper for the website that still won't let me choose the notification sound or whatever.

Unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing the point when it basically just opens the mobile site within an app

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's somewhat annoying for notifications, but then that's notifications for you in the first place. But I find it beats using the mobile site in firefox or chrome.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Would it be annoying if I plugged my own apps here? They're free and I'm mostly looking for feedback on them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Would it be annoying if I plugged my own apps here? They're free and I'm mostly looking for feedback on them.
Nope, we like a nice goon app round these parts.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Since hating on the FB app seems to be the sentiment of the day, how are you guys sharing photos/links/etc to Facebook after you have the app uninstalled? Are you also uninstalling Messenger?

edit: Ok, Metal is cool as hell

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if Metal will permanently remember to show the news feed in chronological order? That's my biggest gripe about the Facebook app or the mobile website.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tunga posted:

Nope, we like a nice goon app round these parts.

Cool, I've got a couple I'd like people to try out. I'm self-taught, so any feedback positive or negative is appreciated. They're all free and none of them have advertisements.

City Compass

Compass with the added feature of showing surrounding cities. Made because my dad wanted to aim his TV antenna at specific cities. Should work anywhere on earth with an internet connection and location services.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.joe.citycompass&hl=en

Space Lord 2

Arcade shooter. Shoot waves of enemies until a boss shows up. Repeat as long as you can. Has a google play leaderboard and features multiple enemies, bosses, and weapons.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrg.joe.spacelord2.android&hl=en
(Space Lord 1 is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.joe.android&hl=en)

Monty Says

You've probably played Simon before. This version has cats and multiple difficulty levels.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.joe.montysays&hl=en

If anyone is interested, please download them and give em a try. I'd be more than happy to entertain questions and comments.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Are there any SwiftKey users here?

Today's news is that Microsoft are buying the company:

https://blog.swiftkey.com/microsoft-acquires-swiftkey/

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/02/microsoft-is-acquiring-londons-ai-driven-swiftkey-for-250m/

My first thought, as an open source enthusiast, is "oh, no!".

I'm interested in what peoples thoughts are regarding potential data mining and if those of us with the paid version of SwiftKey will suddenly get hassled with (more) adverts. Any thoughts?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm not sure that you can call SwiftKey open source so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

DeaconBlues posted:

Today's news is that Microsoft are buying the company:

https://blog.swiftkey.com/microsoft-acquires-swiftkey/

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/02/microsoft-is-acquiring-londons-ai-driven-swiftkey-for-250m/

I'm interested in what peoples thoughts are regarding potential data mining and if those of us with the paid version of SwiftKey will suddenly get hassled with (more) adverts. Any thoughts?

I doubt it will change anything in the short term and I'd imagine the worst case scenario is that it simply stops getting updated. I'd have to guess that Microsoft is far more interested in the underlying technology than the app itself. Also it's not like Microsoft has an vested interest in Android advertising revenue like the independent company had before so if anything I'd expect it to go free and ad-free rather than move in the other direction. Think about something like Timely which went from a (good) IAP paid system to totally free when Google bought them only to then just get abandoned. That's pretty much what I'd expect to happen here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not worried that Microsoft will kill SwiftKey, though maybe incorporate the technology in a new Microsoft branded app. My only real concern for the app is that functionality/customization options will get stripped out.

I hope they use the technology to build in some system wide autocorrect into Windows. I've often wished that I had SwiftKey when typing on my PC since I'm so used to it on my phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe microsoft will unfuck Swiftkey flow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd love to have SwiftKey be the basis of Microsoft's text prediction stuff in Windows products. It works so well.

DeaconBlues posted:

SwiftKey was closed source as gently caress though, and it was even paid only for most of the time it was around? The about page int he app mentions open-source licenses, but that's for things they were using, the product itself was closed source.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Oh, I didn't mean that SwiftKey was open source. I'm more the type that uses open source wherever possible and use proprietary stuff if the product is good. It was a bit of a misleading statement.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

vyst posted:

This would be the best possible outcome

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So it was an entirely irrelevant statement that had nothing at all to do with what was being discussed?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Syrinxx posted:

Since hating on the FB app seems to be the sentiment of the day, how are you guys sharing photos/links/etc to Facebook after you have the app uninstalled? Are you also uninstalling Messenger?

I'm gonna give metal a shot. Will report back in a few days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fishmech posted:

I'd love to have SwiftKey be the basis of Microsoft's text prediction stuff in Windows products. It works so well

For real. The soft keyboard on my surface pro 3 blows massively to the point that I basically never write text with it without the keyboard. If I didn't have terrible goonlord handwriting I might use the handwriting recognition instead, but here we are.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The keyboard on windows phone is actually pretty nice.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vyst posted:

If only dreams could come true

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft apps on Android are actually pretty drat fantastic so this should probably be viewed as a positive.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Since hating on the FB app seems to be the sentiment of the day, how are you guys sharing photos/links/etc to Facebook after you have the app uninstalled?
I am not doing that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

I just use the mobile version of their website in chrome.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm after some minimal and simple ringtones and alert tones that can get me past the full-orchestra-concert-length stuff that comes with any particular phone. Now, Googling this produces either overpriced or otherwise suspicious "free ringtones that will remind you of Crazy Frog, just accept our app's permissions" links.

I'll be honest, I'm turning to you all since I think the App thread will know where to get them. Thoughts?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

vyst posted:

I just use the mobile version of their website in chrome.

This is what I've been doing for the last month and I haven't missed the app at all. What's especially nice is that I can actually use the messaging part of the site rather than being told to download/install another of their apps to respond to the random 3 people I know that use fb messenger.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Heners_UK posted:

I'm after some minimal and simple ringtones and alert tones that can get me past the full-orchestra-concert-length stuff that comes with any particular phone. Now, Googling this produces either overpriced or otherwise suspicious "free ringtones that will remind you of Crazy Frog, just accept our app's permissions" links.

I'll be honest, I'm turning to you all since I think the App thread will know where to get them. Thoughts?

I use Zedge. It has banner ads but that's it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Google Latitude was phased out and the location sharing feature was rolled in to Google+. Is there any way to have that integrated with the regular Maps app and not require going through G+ to view?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Teeter posted:

Google Latitude was phased out and the location sharing feature was rolled in to Google+. Is there any way to have that integrated with the regular Maps app and not require going through G+ to view?

What are you trying to do? I can share my current location through both Google Messenger and Google Hangouts. I can also share whatever location from the share menu within Google Maps.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Heners_UK posted:

You could go old school and download MP3's of the sounds you want and apply them manually. That's what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

You could go old school and download MP3's of the sounds you want and apply them manually. That's what I do.

Well I did consider, and in many ways prefer that, but sorting through the mess of eye-offensive or suspicious sites out there would cause me to loose hope