Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hello and welcome to my LP of the Submachine series. Before we start, let's get some Q&A's out of the way.

What is the Submachine series?
Submachine is a series of point-and-click adventure games created by Mateusz Skutnik. The main themes of the games are exploration and solving puzzles to escape the Submachine. The first game was released back in 2005, and the tenth and final game in the main series came out in December 2015. As the series went on, the games became larger and more involved, and the plot and the mystery of the Submachine also grew deeper.

Okay, so what is a Submachine?
Submachine stands for 'submerged machine'. A submachine consists of many chambers, a lot of them large enough for a human to to explore. In-story, it is believed that most of the submachine (or submachines, it's not completely clear whether there's one or more) exists underground, hence the name. Other than that, the submachine is very mysterious, and we will learn much more about it as we progress through the series. What's known is that the submachine we explore is enormous and even though we'll visit many parts, it's implied we are barely scratching the surface. This "tip of the iceberg" feeling pervades a lot of the series, making the name very appropriate.

Why are you LPing this series and why should I watch?
I consider this series to consist of two main things: there's the individual point-and-click puzzles and there's the overarching mystery of the Submachine we're trying to solve. I will show off the puzzles but I honestly don't think it's that interesting to just be given the answers. So if you like that kind of puzzles, I strongly suggest you play the games yourself. The standard versions of the game are free, after all. I like to focus on the second part: the larger mystery of what the hell is going on. I'll collect information during the LP and keep it in the 2nd post. Lots of theories about this series have already been written, but I'd really like to hear your thoughts and to see a discussion about the nature of the Submachine.

What games are you going to play?
I'm planning to play all ten of the main games and the spin-offs in release order. One exception is Submachine Universe, previously known as the Submachine Network Exploration Experience. This is not a game with an ending, but a free exploration through many of the areas visited in previous Submachine games. New rooms are added to it regularly. I frankly don't really know how to tackle that one, and it doesn't add much to the plot. If I show it off at all, I'll do so at the end of the LP.

There are multiple versions of some of the games. Which versions will you play?
Most notably, there are standard and HD versions. The standard versions are, and always have been, free to play, while the HD versions cost a few dollars apiece, or $25 for the full set of games + soundtrack. While I have bought the HD version, I have decided to show the standard version. That's because I believe that if anyone deserves a compensation for their work, it's people who release cool games for free. If you want to see the HD version, the least you can do is give Mateusz some money and buy the games.

The gameplay of the standard and HD versions are mostly the same, with one notable exception, which I'll point out once we get to it.

Other than that, Mateusz released newer versions of some of the older games as time went on, mostly with small changes to have the games fit better in the series as it grew. I'll be playing the latest version of each game.

:siren: Spoiler policy :siren:
I'll bet that quite a few people haven't played all the games. And the whole idea of the series is that you slowly gather more hints about the Submachine as time goes on. So I'm going to ask you folks to not talk about anything we have not seen yet. If you post theories, base them on what you've seen in the LP so far. Don't worry, we'll get to the next part soon enough.

Updates
Part 1 - Submachine 1: The Basement
Part 2 - Submachine 2: The Lighthouse
Part 3 - Submachine 2: The Lighthouse
Part 4 - Submachine 3: The Loop
Part 5 - Submachine 3: The Loop
Part 6 - Submachine Zero: Ancient Adventure
Part 7 - Submachine 4: The Lab
Part 8 - Submachine 4: The Lab
Part 9 - Submachine 4: The Lab
Part 10 - Submachine: Future Loop Foundation
Part 11 - Submachine 5: The Root
Part 12 - Submachine 5: The Root
Part 13 - Submachine 5: The Root
Part 14 - Submachine 6: The Edge
Part 15 - Submachine 6: The Edge
Part 16 - Submachine 6: The Edge
Part 17 - Submachine: 32 Chambers
Part 18 - Submachine 7: The Core
Part 19 - Submachine 7: The Core
Part 20 - Submachine 7: The Core
Part 21 - Submachine 8: The Plan
Part 22 - Submachine 8: The Plan
Part 23 - Submachine 9: The Temple
Part 24 - Submachine 9: The Temple
Part 25 - Submachine 9: The Temple
Part 26 - Submachine 9: The Temple
Part 27 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 28 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 29 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 30 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 31 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 32 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 33 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 34 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 35 - Submachine 10: The Exit
Part 36 - Final thoughts
Bonus: Interview with Mateusz

Play the games yourself: Submachine 1 - Submachine 2 - Submachine 3 - Submachine 4 - Submachine 5 - Submachine 6 - Submachine 7 - Submachine 8 - Submachine 9 - Submachine 10
Side games: Submachine Zero - Submachine FLF - Submachine 32 Chambers

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Notes

---
Hey you! Yes you, person in the future, reading this in the archive. The rest of this post contains all notes found in the games, and is full of SPOILERS. If this is your first time encountering the Submachine, you might want to skip past this and jump straight to the first update.
---

Submachine 1: The Basement

Single page from a diary posted:

last summer I went camping under the big waterfall of Kent. I guess this was a great trip for me, however some people do not understand why. Well, I did lose my left arm, but what the hell, I found out that I had a third arm. The invisible one. Since then I started to learn how to use my karma arm, and soon my skills were those of a master. It wasn't a surprise to me when people started turning their backs on me, since I was considered to be a freak and mentally ill. Funny thing, I can't tell them the truth, it would be like explaining the possibility of space travel to a goldfish. So I'm just trying to

Submachine 2: The Lighthouse

Lighthouse Pamphlet posted:

WELCOME

Welcome to the world's famous Kent Lighthouse. This structure has been erected in 1857 by sir Henry o'Toole. It is said that this lighthouse was built on the ruins of a medieval prison dungeon. This is one of our sightseeing attractions as you can go visit the archeological digouts in the lower sections of the lighthouse, just below the basement level. Ask your tour guide for this feature. This lighthouse was amazingly never destroyed, though several wars have been fought over lands of Kent. That allows you to enjoy the original wall structure of this complex.

Thank You for coming,

Hope to see you again.

Cat Note posted:

mid october 05

Today a strangest thing has happened. When I woke up there was a black cat inside the lighthouse. I clearly remember locking all the doors and windows before going to bed - yet - there he was. I have no idea how he could get inside. That bothers me. I named him Einstein, since he's apparently capable of breaking the time and space barrier as he wishes. Probably all cats do, but this particular one did that in front of my very eyes. Well, not exactly, but it's undeniable that he's here now. Just wondering if that has anything to do with my ability to build cross-dimension door with my karma arm. Guess we'll see in time.

Letter to Liz posted:

Hi Elizabeth.

Even in my strangest dreams I never thought that I would be able to create through dimensional pathways leading to new unexplored places. My new experiment took me right below the lighthouse straight to those legendary ruins. You can call me a discoverer from now on. And I only used that wisdom gem that I found lately. Just think where possibly I could go using the lighthouse itself and its full power of light.

I'm considering moving to another place next 32 days.

Will you take care of Einstein for me?

Yours

m

Diary 2 posted:

live my life peacefully not disturbing anyone. The job of a Lighthouse keeper seemed to be just right for me. And I wanted to spend the rest of my life in that lighthouse. But after five months my isolation came to an end when they decided to bury the building. My worst fear ever was to be buried alive. But what about to be buried alive inside of a building? I didn't want to take any chances. So I'm leaving today.

For those who follow me:
I am sorry...
and
m = [randomly-generated number]

sincerely
mur

Note to myself posted:

Einstein is gone. Again.
I'm fed up with this.

Note to myself - stop worrying about that drat cat.

Portal Note posted:

so here it is.

I did draw a portal in here, however it's not stable. I'm going to use it, even though I can't tell where I'll end up.

Feel free to use this door whenever you like, just remember that the number of places it can take you to is beyond wildest imagination.

Or I'm just trying to keep you from exiting the lighthouse.

Either way - decide for yourself if you're going to use it or not.

m

Submachine 3: The Loop

HD Note posted:

Never stroll away from the center.
Never.

I had a companion once.
She said she wanted to check how far do these rooms go.

I've never seen her again.

HD Note posted:

I've been here before!

I remember those drat looping rooms. If I could only remember what was that all about. Some machine unlocking further connections, a compass showing me coordinates! Yes! It was all about the coordinates! But there is no compass in here now.

What to do?...

HD Note posted:

He said to mark this paper every time I pass it.

HD Note posted:

The rooms reset every other cycle.
The compass will reappear soon.
If I only knew which cycle I'm in...

Mur's Note posted:

READ ME!

Have you noticed that with each puzzle solved you move deeper below ground? That doesn't look like a good escape plan. The machine itself is a giant trap. In order to escape it you must stop solving puzzles or you'll just remain perpetually in that loop. The loop is timeless, spaceless, without beginning or end. It's the worst place you could have find yourself after teleporting from the lighthouse. Here's what I want you to do:
Don't open the passage-machine in room (0, 0). Instead, look for a green leaf and bring it to the statue in room (-12, 9). This should disconnect you from the loop, in which case you should arrive at the Lab, or somewhere nearby. Good luck!

Mur

Submachine 4: The Lab

Conversation with Mur posted:

(@lab): root.ping//144.235.182.100
(@mur): who is this?
(@mur): you're at the lab?
(@mur): and you don't have a keyboard??
(@mur): there is an explanation...
You escaped from the loop...
(@mur): didn't you?
(@mur): ok, first of all, you'll need to get to the portal room. It's protected by a steel grating, and if it's closed you'll need to find some way around the main grating lock. As far as I know you won't find keycodes and security passes for it.
(@mur): second thing, once you're at the portal, you'll need coordinates to go to. I have a list on my comp.
(@mur): I'm printing that for you right now.
(@mur): Get to the portal. Start jumping. Maybe you'll be able to find your way through. Good luck. M

Note 1 posted:

coordinates of known locations:

laboratory: x = 0, y = 0, z = 1
ancient section: x = 1, y = 0, z = 4
looping traps: x = 6, y = 9, z = 0
basement section: x = 5, y = 2, z = 9
lighthouse digouts: x = 4, y = 6, z = 2
tomb trap: x = 7, y = 7, z = 0
the ship: x = 8, y = 0, z = 0

Four teams are exploring the unknown connections.

Note 4 and Note 5 posted:

At first we thought there was just one submachine.

But then Murtaugh came along, and showed us the truth. His ability to create karma portals between locations let him explore more than one third of the submachine net. That took him 32 years. How foolish were we in those early years.

Using his technology we were able to built our own portals to move between dimensions. Now we set up the laboratory, we have reconnaissance exploration teams...

...for submachines, we go on missions into the net trying to discover new places and parts of this greatest puzzle. Murtaugh said once that there is no 'greatest puzzle', no masterplan, no one is controlling this thing. But we think otherwise. There must be a purpose for all of things. We just have to find it. I thought this was all possible, but since Murtaugh deserted us, I'm not so sure anymore. But we found our purpose, we see it clearly. Do you?...

Note 2 posted:

Our mission has just started. Murtaugh taught us the necessity of writing notes and leaving them behind in locations they were made in. That's for leaving a trace in case somebody got lost. But we are all well trained, nothing bad is going to happen. Not this time.

This is just in case. We're moving from here to the ship section, our mission is to get to the upper deck of
that ship. Over and out.

Note 3 posted:

We haven't even started exploring this ancient section and our coil is already dead. Probably someone forgot to recharge it. But the situation is serious.

We don't know the numbers for basement section. The coordinates are back at headquarters, and clearly we can't go back there anymore.

We'll try blind jumps as soon as we get a connection, but where will we end up I simply don't know.

Note 12 posted:

I've been here before!

I remember those drat looping rooms. If I could only remember what was that all about. Some machine unlocking further connections, a compass showing me coordinates! Yes! It was all about the coordinates! But there is no compass in here now.
What to do?...

Note 6 posted:

Our coil is broken, and we don't have a replacement. It's useless. It's so useless.

All that struggle with those drat machines. Is there even some kind of normal world outside this endless mess of the submachine? Over and over again, no beginning nor end. What was his name? That man with one arm? I forgot even that.

I just give up. I don't care anymore.

Note 7 posted:

Murtaugh came by today. He said that since we cannot charge the laser to break the Orb, he's returning it to it's original position.

Just great.

Besides that we got a message from the ancient section exploration team two days ago. I can't tell why but they started blind jumping and found new matching coordinates. 551, some kind of brick room or something. Like if it mattered at all. We won't see them again anyway.

Note 8 posted:

Did you notice that you have never found any signs of human presence in the submachines? No matter which ones? But there are at least four teams wandering around the vast net of submachine. And there are probably other people too, locked within their own locations. What are the odds of never finding anyone here?

But on the other hand, what are the odds of finding alien life forms in the universe?

Note 11 posted:

I'm stuck, please help!

I got all the way to portal room in the lab, then found the coil in the ancient section but I don't know what to do next. I saw that people are leaving notes here behind them, so if anyone can help me...

I'm so confused, every time I find some item I have to wander around submachines looking where to put it. I'm so tired right now. Pls help!

sunshine_bunnygirl_17

Note 13 posted:

No clues. No clues. Wait, what I was doing here?

Note 9 posted:

Need water. Must find water. Not much, one drop would be enough. Just one drop of water. All I see is sand, 32 chambers filled with sand as I remember.

Write down the coordinates, he said. Wish I have done that. I need water.
Just a drop...

Note 10 posted:

Crew expendable. Where did I hear that? Did that come from the company, or someone even higher? Nevermind... In the meantime we tried almost every possible way of unlocking that drat ladder. this lock just won't open. the last attempt is to blow this up. We're setting up wires right now, and if we're lucky someone of us will survive and finally see what's on the upper deck of the ship. However, I'm going to write another note just after the explosion, if we'll still be alive that is.

Note 14 posted:

If you looked hard enough and you are feeling lucky you can always try this location:

x=7
y=2
z=8

Author's note posted:

Thank You for finishing this game.

Now I'm giving you a choice. You can either go back to main menu to comment this game or even contact the creator (door to the left)
or...
You can go back into the submachine net, because there is a reward for those who find 21/21 secrets. Once You have all the secrets, find a location to use them and enjoy bonus material. (door to the right)
Yours, Mur.

Submachine 5: The Root

Murtaugh posted:

Hi there.
Did you sleep well?
I've got an assignment for you.
You seem to be the best man for this job since your training involved dealing with wisdom crystals. You have to track back your actions and retrieve them. The easiest way is to access the root location and start from there. Root coordinates are: 5-5-2, and don't forget lab coordinates which are 0-0-1. Good Luck.

Murtaugh

Assignment posted:

First assignment:
- retrieve three so-called "wisdom gems", lost in the subnet over the years. Those artifacts, engineered in the first sub-era by unknown manufacturer are the only approvable energy source for the machine situated in the corridor location. This location can be accessed by 7-4-7 code.
- power up the machine.
- investigate far side of the net.
- return unharmed.

Submachine 6: The Edge

Note posted:

Well, that's it...

I see no point in holding on any longer.

No one's coming, I've been a fool all the time.

Pointless...

Note posted:

do not mess with the protocols.

If you do, they will lock you up inside. I've seen that happening before.

That's not a good way to die out here.

Anyway, I've had enough. I'm not going in there anymore.

Note posted:

Did he tell you that you were the first one sent out here?

Well, news flash, my friend...

Note posted:

don't believe in his lies.

Secret note posted:

I never thought that playing Murtaugh's game would lead me here.

I never thought I'd have to make a choice. I was just following his orders. Right now it's too late for me to change sides.

For you as well, probably.

But, if you have a chance...

Find Liz. She will guide you.

If he's the explorer, she's the solver.

Portal prototype 2/32 posted:

Portal prototype developed for transportation of maintenance units between different sections of the subnet.

the prototype came into contact with human factor and was reverse-engineered in order to transport humans.

Primary function deleted.

As a main factor in the infestation spread the portal was considered a failure.

Thoth inscription posted:

Thoth

Patron of: knowledge, secrets, writing, and scribes.

Appearance: A man with the head of an ibis holding a scribe's palette and stylus. He was also shown as a full ibis, or sometimes as baboon.

Description: Thoth is an unusual god. Though some stories place his as a son of Ra, other say that Thoth created himself through the power of language. He is the creator of magic, the inventor of writing, teacher of man, the messenger of the gods (and thus identified by the Greeks with Hermes) and the divine record-keeper and mediator.

He was also a measurer and recorder of time.

Secret note posted:

I was sent here by Murtaugh. Of course, who else.

My objective was to disable the defense systems, so the invasion could reach the core of the subnet.

I know that I wasn't the first one sent out here. I know there were at least 5 people before me.

And as hard it might be to hear, you have to hear this:

Just as I wasn't the first here, you probably won't be the last.

Murtaugh posted:

@lab
I don't know if this message reaches anyone or just bounces off of the defense system firewall, but if there is a slightest chance then I must take it.
---
I need you to disable following protocols:
2-18 - secondary DS
1-12 - primary DS
1-0 - mainframe

Murtaugh posted:

mur@lab: hello?
mur@lab: I can't believe it.
mur@lab: you managed to disable the defense systems of the subnet.
mur@lab: now we can travel freely throughout the net. We can finally invade the core of the submachine.

mur@lab: unfortunately for you, your adventure ends here.

mur@lab: good bye.

Submachine 7: The Core

quote:

note to myself

possible entry points failed

check on 291

good feeling about this one

Liz posted:

Hello.

My name is Elizabeth.

Welcome to my temple of solitude.

There is a great chance that you wandered here after being tested by Murtaugh. If that is the case, I am very sorry that I couldn't get to you before him. It must have been tough on you to get through all his traps, tests and tasks to fulfill. However - worry no more. If you can't find me in the garden, then I am at my laboratory and will be joining you shortly.

Please wait patiently here and try not to touch anything.

Thank you.

L.

Liz posted:

How could they have possibly known?

How could they mimic the structure of the subnet so accurately within simple garden plans?...

This is completely baffling.

L

Liz posted:

I know it is kind of ironic to dock my laboratory out here in the ruins of the winter palace.

The king always wanted this palace to become safe haven for people of science.

Here I am, my king.

L

Pamphlet posted:

WELCOME

Welcome to the world's famous Winter Palace of the fourth dynasty.

Built in 1832 by sir Henry o'Toole, a young architect, barely known at that time, merely the servant of King's master urbanist.

After finishing this palace o'Toole gained respect in modern art circles of the Western Kingdom.

This Winter Palace and surrounding gardens are prime examples of antistructural architecture freed from boundaries of material durability.

Make sure you also visit the famous Kent Lighthouse built by the same architect.

Thank you for coming, we hope to see you again.

Liz posted:

Now you know how Murtaugh's karma portals work. You just used one. They can in fact transport you through different dimensions.

However the ones drawn within the core are... short range. Those were the first ones he has ever drawn. A test. Baby steps if you will.

Now that you used one - please, do not use them anymore. They shatter the fabric of this dimension. Murtaugh neglected that fact and... Just look around where we ended...

L

quote:

Once there was a man who said he knew what was happening after Murtaugh left.

Since then that man left us as well.

quote:

Why does this sociopath only talk to Elizabeth?

Liz posted:

So when things started to collapse, why certain bits and pieces got left behind?

They just stayed in place...

And why those in particular?

L

quote:

If subnet is universe, then the loops are black holes.

Book page posted:

[...] The Fourth Dynasty at the peak of it's cultural and technological development was able to create first man-made submachine structure. That was around the beginning of twentieth century and is now considered the birthdate of the outer rim. Those first structures were merely flawed copies of the original structures, but in time they grew into something completely autonomous. Attempts to chart new territories failed miserably leaving the vast submachine wilderness to it's own. [...]

quote:

Once the great scheme of things was clearly visible through the layers of seven main dimensions.

Right now due to corossion, collapse and spontaneous growth of the outer rim the plan is almost unrecognizable.

We humans deserted the outer rim, and the outer rim responded with deserting us.

Nothing but decay ensues.

The plan is lost.

Liz posted:

It's no wonder they wanted to bury this whole lighthouse with him still inside.

The collapse death toll was growing exponentionally.

L

Mur posted:

Hi Elizabeth.

Even in my strangest dreams I never thought that I would be able to create through dimentional pathways leading to new unexplored places. My new experiment took me right below the lighthouse straight to those
legendary ruins.

You can call me a discoverer from now on. And I only used that wisdom gem that I found lately. Just think where possibly I could go using the lighthouse itself and its full power of light.

Yours

m

Liz posted:

Dear Murtaugh.

I understand your desire to build another karma portal within the lighthouse. I urge you not to do this. Once you leave the core no one knows where you'll end up. The outer rim is endless. No one knows what types of mutations of submachines grew out there.

I will take care of Einstein, but remember this. Once you step through that portal - you can never go back. The Core will be forever lost to you.

Liz posted:

I finally understood how they could mimic the structure of the subnet within a garden...

They didn't have to mimic. They were already living inside the subnet.

L

Liz posted:

I can hear Murtaugh breaching the defenses of my ship. It is the high time for me to leave this dimension.

I'm sorry I couldn't wait for you any longer, but I fear that with one more karma portal placed this dimension will collapse entirely.

I know what he wants to do. I know why he came back to the core. He's after those who buried him alive in that lighthouse.

I have to warn them. I have to get to the fifth layer. I wish you could follow me but I have only one rescue pod left.

I am sorry.

Elizabeth.

Submachine 8: The Plan

quote:

Liz: You can create dimensional portals while being inside such a portal?

Murtaugh: Yes, I can.

Liz: And when you do, what happens then?

Murtaugh: ...you change direction.

Liz: Direction of what?

Murtaugh: Of everything.

quote:

Murtaugh is coming back. We should go.

We should go now.

quote:

I clearly remember the day it all ended. It was not long after the computer processing power exceeded that of the human brain. Many thought that this was the turning point, but not so. The moment came a bit later. I remember, because I was there, when we asked the biggest question. The one we've been struggling with for millennia.

Why are we?

But this time the question wasn't directed at us. We asked the computer. And that was the turning point in the history of humanity. That exact moment. Once we acknowledged that we're not the most evolved structure on our planet, once we passed the torch, our purpose diminished. Did we expect the computer to fry under the heaviest of questions? Of course. So you can imagine our surprise, when this happened.

The computer answered the question.

quote:

- Where are you?
- I'm standing right beside you. Can't you see me?
- No.
- Let's compare our geotags once more.
- Something's off. We are at the same location. But...
- Where are you?

quote:

- But why the boundaries. Why this particular shape?

- The idea is to give you the glimpse of the plan. Just a glimpse. Seeing it in all it's glory would blind your mind.

quote:

- I never knew beam of light could bend like that.

quote:

- This is just a toy. Just a toy.

- It's not a toy. It's a knot. You have to untie it. Unless you're Alexander.

quote:

- Do you see it now?

- Yes... How is it even possible? They're interlocking perfectly...

- Who needs god when you have architects like that, right?

quote:

A woman came to our village. No one knows exactly how she entered, since the gate was closed at the time. She went straight to the [term not translational], and one minute later a beam of bright light shot from it straight up to the sky. When she disappeared we knew we were blessed with the presence of the goddess. That was 742 years ago, and we worship her to this day.

quote:

Liz: So... Did you ever catch me after all?...

Murtaugh: You know there are seven answers to that question, my dear Liz.

Secret posted:

Murtaugh: "If there's one thing I regret - it's the fact that of all people I sent to the edge no one ever came back. Not a single soul. That will haunt me for the rest of my life..."

Liz: "I know."

Secret posted:

- "Have you ever been to the place called the loop?"

- "Yes, of course."

- "See, this knot is just like the loop. Well, maybe not exactly, but it serves the same purpose."

- "In that case... What is so important in layer 5?..."

[deleted]

[deleted]

[deleted]

Secret posted:

- "Why does this sociopath only talk to Elizabeth?"

- "Your question is wrongly put. You wanted to ask: why doesn't he talk to us. The answer is simple: he doesn't see us. Does that make him a sociopath? Not necessarily. But that does mean he's focused."

Secret posted:

- "But that's impossible! He can't be in different dimensions at the same time!"

- "Impossible? What does that even mean?..."

Secret posted:

- "Doesn't he understand that his karma portals are shattering this dimension?"

- "This dimension? You mean the third one? You know that's not even the original dimension, right? What do you think is more important - the origin or the flawed copy?"

Submachine 9: The Temple

quote:

The light of Shiva drawn Murtaugh to live in the lighthouse.

quote:

The light of Shiva drawn Elizabeth to leave the lighthouse.

quote:

When Murtaugh put his arm into the waterfall, he noticed that he no longer had an arm, but seven of them. That was not something unexpectable.

What is a miracle, though, is that after he removed his arm from the waterfall - he still could see all seven layers of his left arm.

Not longer after that he understood, that focusing them all in one place created a portal. That was because all of his arms from all of the layers met at one place and caused he interdimensional karma flow at his fingertips.

quote:

When Murtaugh saw the cat changing the layer of reality he falsely connected that event with Einstein's theory of relativity.

That was because in those early days Murtaugh was just beginning to understand the structures of reality.

During his intellectual growth he was able to come across the cat several times. He grew attached to the animal.

When he asked Elizabeth to take care of the cat, she took him back to his appropriate dimension in the first layer.

quote:

Nobody could predict that the enlightenment would cause such destruction. Even Murtaugh himself didn't know what happened. He was already looking at all layers at once. He was already removed from one-dimensionality.

To be back in only one layer, Murtaugh had to lose his focus. After he focused his mind back on the structure of the plan, his exploration teams didn't understand what happened. Some called it abandonment. Others - rapture. No wonder they panicked.

They did not even have a philosophical device to comprehend the true nature of his disappearance.

quote:

- Why does this sociopath talk only to Elizabeth?

- She's the only person he can see. Remember, we're one-dimensional. We're like a drawing on a piece of paper to him. A drawing that was erased, redrawn and erased again. Seven times over.

quote:

- The greatest mystery and misconception of the doctrine is that Murtaugh gained his powers.

- He didn't?

- No. They were given to him.

- By whom?...

- By Shiva, naturally.

Secret posted:

- There are seven main layers of reality.

- Yes, that's common knowledge.

- But there is another layer. The one often misinterpreted as the layer of time.

- If it's not time, what is it then?

- That's the layer of Light. You see, when you move through the field of atoms frozen in time, the friction causes them to emit visible light. It's everywhere you move. It's not a guiding light. You're the one who's guiding that light. Where you will go is entirely up to you.

Secret posted:

- How is it possible, that people are still coming through the loop and trying to turn off the defense systems? After all these years...

- What would you have me do. Destroy his creation? Destroy the whole section?

- I don't know... Maybe...

- You're talking about destroying our history. What next, book burning?

- No, of course not. But maybe... A sign? That it's no longer necessary to shut down the defenses?

- And what about those in the eighth layer?

- I stand corrected...

Secret posted:

Murtaugh never said it was about revenge. But by then he was well used to not being understood. Back then they didn't yet have seven-layer bullets.

The only option was to meet him at the knot. The place where all dimensions intertwined to become one. Then and there, they waited.

And when he appeared, Murtaugh was finally able to see what has happened. He fell to his knees. She came to him, sat down beside him and they started talking.

The bullets never reached them.

Secret posted:

After the second enlightenment Murtaugh dedicated his life to restoring the chaos. While the main layers flourished under his word, the third dimension remained broken.

Murtaugh was originally from the third layer, therefore there was nothing he could do to bring it back to the unbroken state. He often spoke about it as being a thorn in his heart. This was consuming him until the day Shiva gave him comfort of knowledge of the future.

Murtaugh was already dying, and just before he drew his last breath - the light came to him and showed him what was to come. We believe he stayed in that moment forever.

Secret posted:

If he's the explorer, she's the healer. If he's the child, she's the older sister. When he couldn't understand, she knew that it wasn't his fault. When he fell, she picked him up. When they wanted to kill him, she explained.

When he died, she carried his words. When she died, we buried her alongside him. They remain together in the light of Shiva. Your journey is almost at its end.

Congratulations. You've reached the highest level of understanding possible to a one-dimensional mind. If you want to leave the structure, Shiva will guide you. Just follow him.

Submachine 10: The Exit

quote:

We the King welcome you in Northern Garden docks.

Anyone who seeks peace and calmness will find it under the leaves of our blessed florae.

quote:

Caution.

Temporal anomaly leak ahead.

quote:

- So how did he escape after all?

- Through the lighthouse, naturally. how else?...

quote:

- I've found my grave today. A proper tomb, in fact...
- Well, I guess that's bound to happen sooner or later if you're a time traveller.
- I've also found your tomb, right next to mine.
- Oh, that's so sweet of them.

quote:

- We're in a loop.
- Yes, I know, there are time anomaly leaks everywhere, but we're not in one right now. Are we?
- No, not horizontal loop. Vertical one.
- What do you mean?
- Look through my microscope. And then through my telescope. You'll see.

quote:

Dear Murtaugh.

That's great news. Please remember one thing. Submachine didn't wait for this discovery, it moved on and is healing itself, as any normal organism would. Did you see the power generator in the oldest sections of the root? The one destroyed by your portal long time ago? Now it's being rebuilt by five karmic veins. If you haven't seen it - please do, it's a remarkable proof that Submachine became sentient being.

L.

quote:

- If there is countless number of sub-layers, it's practically impossible for two people the end up in the same layer, right?
- Yes, good observation.
- But the non-living matter can be persistant between layers.
- Yes, there are special building materials mixed with just a hint of karmic water. This technique was discovered during the Fourth Dynasty.
- Naturally. The architects of the Plan...
- So you can imagine how a non-living sentient organism, powered by the super-intelligence of Shiva was able to embrace all layers at once. The Submachine is now living in five dimentions.

quote:

- - - - - - - - S.H.I.V.A. - - - - - - - -

no permission to access
(@sh):root.ping//

quote:

- Do you know how many numbers are there between 0 and 1.
- ... Infinite?...
- Exactly. There is a countless number of sub-layers between any two main layers of reality. The important thing to remember is that as there are seven main layers, all stable, as all their sub-layers, there is also the eighth layer, known as the layer of light, which is not stable and it can float freely through all other layers. Murtaugh was trapped in the eighth layer once, that's why he was unable to focus his being on a single layer. Fortunately Elizabeth managed to snap him out of this trap.

quote:

Light crown converter needed to connect light crown to the fuse outlet.

quote:

- I'll come back to the shrine every 32 years. I promise, anyone who still listens to this frequency.

quote:

Dear Elizabeth!

I'm so close! You won't believe how much progress I've done in last... How long was it?... 3.5 years? My lord, it feels good to be focused again.

I know this sounds stupid, but as a time traveller I have to say it feels good to see time run by you.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. My theory of focused karma was correct! I have scientific evidence at my laboratory. Once it doesn't penetrate any two given layers creating a portal - it actually restores previously destroyed sub-molecular order.

Now, all I need is some kind of... portable karma stabiliser, and I'm good to go!

Just imagine - stable and secure karmic portals. Would you believe that?

M.

quote:

- You can't fix everything, just let it go. Submachine doesn't need your help. It's fine as it is.
- You know you're taking away my life's goal, right?
- We'll find you a new one, don't worry. You were part of this organism, I admit, a crucial one, but just a part nonetheless. You can't think of yourself any bit higher. That would be arrogant, and't that's not you anymore.
- What would I do without you, my dear...

quote:

- But how is it possible, that she knew the Submachine was sentient and reasoning? That's like Lumiere brothers talking about retina cinema of the early 21st century.
- Don't forget, that's Elizabeth you're talking about. Right?
- ... Right...

quote:

- I think you're ready to enter the Submachine. You know more than enough and will probably find out more on your journey. Remember, this can destroy or transform you. But you will not return the same man. May the wisdom of Thoth guide you.
- Thank you, holy usher. I will not fail you.
- Don't fail yourself, my young disciple.

quote:

- Wait, Submachine was already sentient that early?
- Of course. The mainframe of Submachine became conscious once it's processing power surpassed that of the human brain. They asked the question, remember? And Shiva answered. Submachine was sentient for at least 32 days before that.
- Now I understand. Shiva is the brain, Submachine is the body. It's all so clear now.

quote:

- How will you know that they're coming?
- I'll keep my eye on the lighthouse. Once the lamp goes off, they'll be coming.
- But that lamp is behind steel curtains...
- Don't worry. I'll know once it's off.

Secret posted:

Are we alone in the Submachine? Well, yes, but you can always feel somebody right beside you, doing the same things you do in the Submachine. Just one sub-layer away. That's comforting, isn't it?

Secret posted:

What happened to sunshine_bunnygirl_17? Don't worry, I took care of her. I transported her to the first layer, she's taking care of Einstein when I'm not around.

Secret posted:

Will I ever come back to the Submachine? Well, of course. There are more people still trapped there, my mission is to navigate the sub-layer infinity to find them and bring them home.

Secret posted:

Is Submachine real? Or just a dream? Well, if Submachine is only a dream, I still haven't woken up from it. I mean, as far as I know, it's real, all of it.

Secret posted:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for playing Submachine, for finding all secrets and sticking around for as long as you did. For me this journey lasted 10 years, I know that for some of you too. Thank you and see you in the next game!

Mateusz Skutnik

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 26, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 1
Submachine 1: The Basement

Note: These first two updates have a smaller screenshot size. I was still finding my way around the SSLP format at that time. This is remedied from Part 3 onwards.

(Click here to play the game yourself.)

The first Submachine game is a bit unusual compared to the later ones. It feels a lot like a small standalone 'Escape the Room' game. This game has been updated several times over the years, and I'm playing the 2014 version.

We start out in this room. All Submachine games have quite nice sound effects and also rather atmospheric music. This is the only game for which the music wasn't made by ThumpMonks, which means that it isn't in the OST. Luckily, there is a redux of this music made for a later game. It is similar enough.

ThumpMonks - Submachine 1 Redux 1

Urgggh... where am I? How did I get here? Last thing I remember is some kind of tower in the distance with a bright light... a lighthouse?

Meet our unnamed protagonist. We'll never get to see their face, but I can tell you one thing: they're not the kind of person to give up easily.

I need to find an exit. What's to the right?

The second picture shows what room transitions look like in this game. In the right room we can pull the lever but it doesn't seem to do anything and just springs back. I guess we'll have to come back later.

Let's try going left from the start.

If there's any complaint I have about this game compared to the later ones, it's that the rooms look similar and are quite bland.

There's no windows in any of these rooms. Am I in some kind of prison? Or underground? Hey, maybe I can use that thing to get out.

We got a Valve, and this lever is nice enough to stay pulled down. Time to backtrack again. By the way, the first version of the Basement had the exact same puzzles but only about half the rooms. And even this version is short for a Submachine game, I'll finish it in a single post.

You know what the worst thing is? I can't even remember my name. To think of it, I can't remember anything from before my vision of the lighthouse. I really need to get out. Perhaps if I gently caress with this machinery someone will come looking.

Down from the starting room, we find this room with exits on all sides. The drawing was added in a later version of the game and is a rather obvious reference to Submachine 2: The Lighthouse.

What the hell? That's the lighthouse I saw before! Is this some kind of joke?

To the left we find a room with three pistons. By clicking the screws we can move them, but I don't know what position they need to be in.

This dead end has an electrical box we can't do anything with and an Ancient Coin to pick up.

What's this? There's some really strange symbols on this coin. 2..627? Wait, I understand these symbols?

The number appears when you hover the cursor over the symbols, and is different for each playthrough. Fun fact: in the first version this was a 50-eurocent coin, but Mateusz decided that that didn't fit in the game's lore that well.

Next destination: to the right from the picture room.

A radio? Perhaps that can tell me where I am.

When you click the radio, some music plays, the drawer opens, and you get a Spoon.

Well, that's helpful. Now I have a way to eat pudding if I find any.

The room below has nothing but a leaky pipe, while the room above has some device. Right now one of the lights is green. Reader, can you figure out yet why that's the case?

Anyway, this is a dead end for now, so let's go down from the lighthouse picture room this time.

We found another switch to pull, and more importantly, our first Note. This will be our primary way to learn about the story throughout the LP.

Single page from a diary posted:

last summer I went camping under the big waterfall of Kent. I guess this was a great trip for me, however some people do not understand why. Well, I did lose my left arm, but what the hell, I found out that I had a third arm. The invisible one. Since then I started to learn how to use my karma arm, and soon my skills were those of a master. It wasn't a surprise to me when people started turning their backs on me, since I was considered to be a freak and mentally ill. Funny thing, I can't tell them the truth, it would be like explaining the possibility of space travel to a goldfish. So I'm just trying to
What's this? gently caress, did I get kidnapped by some crazy person? Karma arm... whoever wrote this has quite the imagination.

This is actually the only note in Submachine 1, it's been there since the very first version, and I think it was the first thing to hint that Mateusz had a story in mind that surpasses a single game.

Further down we find yet another 'hub' room. Going left, there's a wired panel. Pressing the buttons increases the numbers on the panel. If we punch in 2627 there's a click and...

We get the Electrical Fuse.

On the other side of the lower hub, there's this room. Each bell switches the position of some of those metal blocks. With a bit of trial and error you can get them all to float, a panel opens up, and you get a Tile. My gif tool caused some weird artifacts in the center of that pic, sorry for that.

Nothing else to do here, so we have to backtrack. But we did find some things that allow us to solve some earlier puzzles.

The hint for this one is in the lower hub room. It's also randomized for every run, it just happened to have all three up for this one. However, solving this puzzle doesn't seem to do anything yet. We need to go further up.

Hey! I can hear water running.

You need to first solve the piston puzzle and then turn the valve to solve this one. There's one place we haven't been to yet: right and up from the starting room. There's a third switch there.

If I can find a way to reach that hatch, maybe I can get out of here...

We go back down and place the fuse in the fuse box. Solving the valve puzzle breaks the pipe completely and nets us the Old Pearl.

Pulling the three switches and replacing the fuse turned on the strange device which somehow made another Tile appear, and you can use the Old Pearl on the clock to get a third Tile.

We can now also pull the lever in this room to turn on power and cause those lines to spark. We use the spoon to short circuit the machine, making a panel fall off that hides the fourth Tile.

No pudding for me, I suppose.

We now have everything we need to finish the game... but there's one more thing we can do.

The short circuit caused this switch in the room where we found the coin to be exposed. If we pull it, the hatch in the top right room opens and a ladder drops down.

In the new room, we can grab the floating 'Ancient Crystal of Wisdom'. This is another thing that was added to The Basement in a later version. We will find out what it does later.

I don't know what this is... but somehow it feels important. I guess I'll hold on to this.

Back in the starting room, we just have to put the tiles in place to make a door appear, which leads to an elevator.

The elevator takes us up, we walk out, and...

Finally some progress?

We step outside, hearing birds tweeting and crickets chirping.

Congratulations, we escaped from the Submachine. Thank you for reading this LP, I'll close the thread now.

... Just kidding, of course. Next time, we find ourselves in The Lighthouse.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 26, 2017

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I loved these games. Back in junior high I played through them repeatedly in my spare time, I didn't have access to many games at the time and I got really hooked on the strange atmosphere...
Glad to see them being LPed!

I like our unfortunate protagonist's voice, you should keep it up with them. Looking forward to seeing how you develop them throughout the games!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This is kind of interesting. I'd like to see where these games go. How many are in the series?

I'd play them myself, but I'm not into point-and-click games, unless they're being LP'd. Keep up the good work and make more updates, so I can know the mystery!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

This is kind of interesting. I'd like to see where these games go. How many are in the series?

10 main games, three side games and that Submachine Universe exploration thing which isn't really a game in the classical sense. The main series is complete now, but the dev said he might make more stand-alone Submachine games in the future.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Holy poo poo, that is a lot of games. I hope none of them get super-long; are most of them going to be contained to a few updates?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, if you know your way around they generally don't take that long to solve. The wiki has a list of how many rooms each game has and they do keep getting larger, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, I actually remember some of these. A real blast from the Flash past.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think the protagonist voice is okay, and it will probably help out with trying to keep things straight in a game series where I imagine things can get quite confusing later. :)

Also, a karma arm being worth losing a real arm? Our dear diary writer seems to be the interesting one indeed.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
Love this series of flash games.
Can't wait to see what you do with the rest.

Edit: Since the games are free and online, would you want someone to link the games for others? Or are you going to link each game with each one as you do it or something?

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2016

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
There have been more Submachine games? Awesome :D

Looking forward to seeing this Let's play through the series, I think there were only three or so when I last heard of them. They had a great sense of mystery to them where it always felt you only saw a tiny part of something much greater.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I was going to do this for my flash game thread but yeah it's a series that deserves it's own thread.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Can't wait to see what you do with the rest.
Me too.

quote:

Edit: Since the games are free and online, would you want someone to link the games for others? Or are you going to link each game with each one as you do it or something?
Good idea, added a link to the first game to the OP and the update.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Very eager to see what the later games are like. In regards to our protagonist, I think I prefer them being unvoiced, but seeing as there's only been about 5 lines from them so far, it's possible the later games will improve my opinion.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good idea, added a link to the first game to the OP and the update.

Awesome. Oh, and since I neglected to earlier, Audience Surrogate Protagonist is good. I'd be interested to see what you do with that.

NoGoodNight
Dec 26, 2013
I was waiting for someone to do an LP for this series for some time - this is probably one of my favorite game series of all time, no joke. I'd love to see it get some more recognition, as it really deserves it, especially for the later games.

I vote to keep the protagonist voice as well, I'd like to see where it goes later on.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I didn't realize the 10th game came out! Thanks for letting us know.

This series has been a lot of fun to return to over the years. Early last year I "re-discovered" it and bought all the HD versions so that I could go through them in a couple days' time. Just as good as I remember and the puzzles just get more and more clever as they go. Sometimes the answers get really obtuse but it's not often. Most of the time you just need to apply a good logical mind, especially later in the series when the puzzles seem to shift focus away from items and more around a central mechanic inherent to whatever episode you're playing.

The story is also very strange and like many others I don't really know what to make of it beyond fan musings.

Gonna follow along with this. For anyone who hasn't seen the series before and doesn't plan to play them on their own, you're in for a treat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 2

Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Menu

(Click here to play the game yourself.)

Let's jump right into it. This game starts with a cutscene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duXp7wnziu8

Where the hell am I now? An arcade machine? And what's this in my pocket?

You can try pressing the buttons of the machine, but they don't seem to do anything. Checking our inventory, first of all, we find this game's help screen. There's also the Wisdom Gem from the last game, and the diary page.

The little red marble is a 'Secret'. You can collect 20 of them in this game, and they have no purpose other than bragging rights, at least in this game. They can be quite hard to find. In fact, there's one right here in this room.

In case you didn't see it, it was sitting where the two rocks meet, to the right of the machine. Yes, they are tiny. And I suppose the fact that these screenshots are about 40% smaller than the game itself doesn't help. Let's go left.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Forest

RTL
We're going left, which means that the room with the phonograph is directly left/west of the starting room. The room with the up arrow is one further to the left. Last update, I posted the pictures in chronological order, which causes their positioning to be wrong. I know that's confusing. This time, I'll post them in the correct relative positions, and add a RTL note if we're moving right to left. I hope that clears up some things.

This area is known as the Lighthouse dungeon. The track that's playing right now is very similar to the sounds at the end of Submachine 1.

The Wisdom Gem goes into this device. By clicking on that pearl, a ladder drops in the previous (up arrow) room. But there's no point going there right now, as the next level is still blocked off. Let's go further left and take the stairs there.

There's a Cog Wheel on the ground here, and a Secret in the chair. We collect both.

Backtracking through the ladder room, we go back to the phonograph room. The Cog Wheel allows us to take the needle off the drum. This does two things: it unlocks a ladder on the next level and it makes the forest soundtrack stop. Instead, the main music of this game starts playing.

:siren:Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Digouts:siren:
Seriously, listen to that. It adds so much atmosphere to the game. Pointing and clicking just got a whole lot creepier. And if you can't get enough, there's an extended edition of this music in the OST.

Anyway, time to take the ladder up. There's not much to see beyond the left plank. To the right is some kind of weird machine.

What's this? A power station? Some kind of transmitter? The levers seem to be stuck, but something's written there.

Up another level, there's a pipe we can enter to the left.

RTL
The key in the upper pipe can't be reached from here, but all the way to the left we grab the Room Key.

Further up the ladder, the way left is blocked by a locked gate. To the right we grab a Fork, and another Secret hidden on the pair of bricks to the top right.

I suppose I can try eating pudding with this fork. Let's hope this place has a fridge.

---

And with that, we climb up to the next part of this game: the Lighthouse basement. Climbing the ladder all the way up, we find a lamp we can turn on. There's a bunch of them in the game, and they're just there for aesthetic reasons. They aren't used in puzzles.

The tunnel to the right leads to a cave-in and some... thing? Get used to seeing cave-ins, the series is called Submerged Machine for a reason. We can't do anything here yet.

The room left of the first room of the Lighthouse basement has a very sneaky Secret, hidden behind a slightly cracked wall tile. Let's go further left before we take the stairs up.

I can change the switch on this viewer, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The next Secret sits on the height adjustment knob.

The only place to go is further up.

Yet another Secret in the rubble, to the left of the plank in front.

---

This area is the Lighthouse's first floor. Don't mind the message in the first picture, it's still from the previous room. There is a new Secret here, on top of the lamp. We'll get back to that metallic door later.

How big is this place, anyway? I can't even tell if I'm still underground or not.

In this room we can grab a Pamphlet. I think the typos are fixed in the HD version of the game.

Lighthouse Pamphlet posted:

WELCOME

Welcome to the world's famous Kent Lighthouse. This structure has been erected in 1857 by sir Henry o'Toole. It is said that this lighthouse was built on the ruins of a medieval prison dungeon. This is one of our sightseeing attractions as you can go visit the archeological digouts in the lower sections of the lighthouse, just below the basement level. Ask your tour guide for this feature. This lighthouse was amazingly never destroyed, though several wars have been fought over lands of Kent. That allows you to enjoy the original wall structure of this complex.

Thank You for coming,

Hope to see you again.
This place is a tourist attraction? Or it was one. It looks abandoned now...

By the way, adding this pamphlet to what we learned from the diary page last game, this Kent has both a waterfall and a lighthouse. The wiki editors did their homework, and apparently there are several places called Kent in the US and the UK that have one of them, and some that might have both, but there's no perfect match. I think it's most likely the in-game Kent is just fictional.

Let's look at the nice picture on the wall, and then go further right.

I don't think it's normal for heaps of soil to come in through a first floor window. But there's a Secret sitting on the triangular stone to the right, so I don't mind.

Let's return to the stairs from the basement and go further left.

RTL
There's another sneaky Secret on top of the window frame. And two more rooms to explore.

Behind the left door there's this reading room. Let's turn the light on and read that note.

Cat Note posted:

mid october 05

Today a strangest thing has happened. When I woke up there was a black cat inside the lighthouse. I clearly remember locking all the doors and windows before going to bed - yet - there he was. I have no idea how he could get inside. That bothers me. I named him Einstein, since he's apparently capable of breaking the time and space barrier as he wishes. Probably all cats do, but this particular one did that in front of my very eyes. Well, not exactly, but it's undeniable that he's here now. Just wondering if that has anything to do with my ability to build cross-dimension door with my karma arm. Guess we'll see in time.
Cross-dimension door? Whoever writes these notes is making less and less sense.

We'll see some more of Einstein the cat later. He's my favorite character.

The right door is locked, but we can open it with the Room Key we found in the pipe down in the dungeon. We get a Sewer Key from the hook. You can try to open the tap or flush the toilet, but it turns out there's no water.

Before we explore the rest of upstairs, let's go back down and check out the Lighthouse sewers.

---

Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Sewers

RTL
We passed the entrance earlier. The sewers are actually quite large and complicated, it's easy to get lost. Screenshots would just be confusing, so I grabbed this map from the wiki and edited it a bit.

We enter at the top right. The place marked 4 is where we grabbed the room key.

3 is the key we couldn't get to before. It's the 2nd Floor Key. 1 and 2 are both Secrets that are easy to find if you explore the sewers well.

In the dead end at 5 we find a Positive Coil.

The letters indicate rooms. There's a horizontal tube with something inside at C, and some kind of panel at B. The panel is a puzzle. If you push a button, all buttons in a + shape around it light up. It's one you can get stuck on for a while, but if you know the answer you can solve it in four moves.

This opens up the other tube, allowing us to grab the Switch Handle.

Finally, room A seems to be part of the dungeon. It has a Secret in the little cubbyhole to the right, number 12 in case you haven't been counting. There's also the Letter to Liz.

Letter to Liz posted:

Hi Elizabeth.

Even in my strangest dreams I never thought that I would be able to create through dimensional pathways leading to new unexplored places. My new experiment took me right below the lighthouse straight to those legendary ruins. You can call me a discoverer from now on. And I only used that wisdom gem that I found lately. Just think where possibly I could go using the lighthouse itself and its full power of light.

Yours

m
The note writer seems quite serious about his dimensional pathways. I've seen so much strange stuff already. Maybe they aren't crazy after all?

We got both a name and an initial here. I think we can conclude Elizabeth is a friend or a relative of 'm'.

We're done with the sewers now. Before we can go to the second floor, it's a good idea to make a quick detour to the crawlspace in the basement, to insert the Handle and pull it. We'll see what that does in a bit.

---

Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Lighthouse

This is the actual Lighthouse tower. We grab the Negative Coil lying at the bottom before we continue up.

We use the 2nd Floor Key from the sewers to open this door. Let's go to the left first.

Now, this is interesting. We found the second part of the diary. Have the complete entry:

Mur's diary posted:

live my life peacefully not disturbing anyone. The job of a Lighthouse keeper seemed to be just right for me. And I wanted to spend the rest of my life in that lighthouse. But after five months my isolation came to an end when they decided to bury the building. My worst fear ever was to be buried alive. But what about to be buried alive inside of a building? I didn't want to take any chances. So I'm leaving today.

For those who follow me:
I am sorry...
and
m = 845

sincerely
mur
Why the hell would anyone want to bury an entire Lighthouse? Seems I'm really stuck in here. Let's hope the tip is still above ground. It has to be, because I can still breathe, right?

And more and more pieces are coming together, but every piece is also making the mystery greater. At least we got a name now. Our note and diary writer is a guy named Mur.

Confusingly, Mateusz, the game designer, also went with the nickname of Mur in these early days, making fans think the character was an author-insert. Later on Mateusz made clear he doesn't consider Mur to be very much like himself. For one, Mateusz never claimed to have a third arm.

RTL
We can turn on the radio to the bottom right. It's mostly static, but sometimes a small shred of music or speech comes through. Nothing comprehensible, though. To the left, we can find the Movie Memory.

I'm going to skip the right door for a bit and climb the tower further instead. The switch in the basement we pulled earlier turned that ladder 90 degrees, so that we can climb it. Up here, let's go left, and climb the ladder there.

A four-digit number puzzle, just like in the first game.

By now, we've seen all the clues required to find the answer to this one, so I'm going to end the update here, and leave it to the thread to find the answer. If you know, please give others an opportunity to guess as well. Use spoiler tags if you like.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 9, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Wow, these games. Started playing these forever ago, would always catch up, forget about the series, then be reminded somehow a bit after the next game came out, and replay the whole series. Thanks for letting us know the 10th is out! Guess it's time to go replay all of them. I have only vague memories of most of it, though this puzzle is something I do happen to remember, so I won't say anything.

LP is good so far! I like the format, including the protagonist voice. I'm kinda curious as to what the mistake was, though... I didn't notice anything, at least.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry folks, I had to edit the previous update out for a bit to fix it. It should be fine now, check it out two posts up!

What I did was keep the images original size this time. I thought that would work out so the pics are better quality, but I had completely planned the update so three pics fit next to each other, and this worked fine in the SSLP test poster, but not in the actual tables of the forum. So I had to reduce the image size to make it fit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In regards to the image size, I think they're too small now. It's very difficult to see the smaller details in the game with the image size being what it is. You may have to cut your losses on the 3-image-wide parts just for the sake of general clarity.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

For what it's worth, everything fit on my screen (24", 1920x1080) very nicely at their original size.

e: Doing them vertically would probably look fine? Just a thought.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm also voting for larger images.

"Mur" is Polish for "Wall".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, I was thinking of changing it altogether for my next update. I suppose I'll do that then. But not before that puzzle is solved. :)

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
It seems too easy, but if it's looking for a 4-digit number, I guess try 1857 from the guide booklet.

:EDIT: Alternatively, that looks like an "e" in the bottom right. "m = 845" and "e" is 8 letters before "m", so try 0837.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 31, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've played before and know what it's asking so I'll put my response in bars.

If m = 845 and c = 3 and we're trying to solve for e, e = mc^2. Therefore e = 845*(3)^2 or 7605.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, so some weirdos buried this lighthouse. But who put in all the number puzzles?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 3

FPzero got the correct answer. It says e on the input panel, which is a reference to E = mc^2. c = 3, according to the writing on the strange machine in the dungeon, and m = 845, according to Mur's diary entry. 845 * 3 * 3 = 7605. I wonder if anyone who hasn't played this game before got it on their own and just didn't post it because FPzero already got it. It's a rather unintuitive puzzle, though

By the way, the answer is random, and the hints change with it, although c always seems to be either 2 or 3.

For this puzzle there's no sound clue or other direct indication you solved it. The only way you can see whether you got it, is by zooming out and checking whether the light turned green. This makes it rather annoying to brute force, which was probably intended.

This puzzle was actually one of the final puzzles of the game, but before we can continue with the other end-game puzzles, we need to climb back down and check out the rest of the second floor.

To the right of the door we find this safe.

You can change the symbols by clicking them. The hint was in the lighthouse picture on the first floor.

Punch in the right code, press the button, the screen turns dark and we can grab the Lightbulb.

I suppose only a Lighthouse keeper would care enough about lightbulbs to store them in a safe.

To the right is yet another strange device that somehow moves as you move your mouse cursor. It has four Secrets in it. It's not too hard to get them, just slowly follow one of them with your mouse until you catch up.

There's also the Note to myself under the bedsheets.

Note to myself posted:

Einstein is gone. Again.
I'm fed up with this.

Note to myself - stop worrying about that drat cat.
Einstein does sound like a rather unusual cat, doesn't he?

Let's try and get to the top.

Using the fork here to complete the circuit, we make a ladder drop down. Before we climb further, let's check out what's to the right.

drat, I'm never going to get the chance to use eating utensils for their intended purpose, am I?

Another tricky puzzle in this room. If you push any of the eight buttons, two of the dials will rotate, at different speeds. The goal is to get every connector to touch the center, turning the lights green. There's also a Secret on the cable to the lamp.

Once again, the puzzle is easy to solve if you know the trick to it. Just stick to the two top-right buttons and you'll get it in no time.

Back to the middle of the tower, going up and up. This room has two side passages, although they blend in with the background quite well.

The right side is where both coils go.

RTL - remember, this means I traversed these rooms from right to left.
The left side just has a Secret, number 18 out of 20. We're getting close!

Let's climb all the way to the top, to the Lighthouse lamp.

Three of the five indicators are green. That means we've solved three of the final puzzles: the number puzzle, the puzzle with the dials, and finding and inserting both coils. Two more puzzles to go.

There's also a Secret here, in the wiring to the bottom left. And a note on the wall.

Portal Note posted:

so here it is.

I did draw a portal in here, however it's not stable. I'm going to use it, even though I can't tell where I'll end up.

Feel free to use this door whenever you like, just remember that the number of places it can take you to is beyond wildest imagination.

Or I'm just trying to keep you from exiting the lighthouse.

Either way - decide for yourself if you're going to use it or not.

m
You MADE this 'portal' and you still don't know where you'll end up? That doesn't give me much confidence. Still, it might be my only way out of here. I'm afraid of what will happen though.

You might feel that way, protag, but I think it's cool that it could take us literally everywhere. Also of note: Mur says he drew the portal. What does that even mean?

To the left we find some device with a slot for something. The 'Secret found' message is still from the Lamp screen. To the right of the Lamp room is a similar device, and the Digout key is stuck in the ground.

drat, it really seems this lighthouse is completely buried. I suppose I'll try activating that portal then...

We collected some things which we can use downstairs in order to get the final puzzle pieces. First of all, back to the basement.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 2 - Digouts

Using the Lightbulb from the safe and the Movie Memory which we also found on the 2nd floor, we can activate this viewer. Looking at it, there's some kind of still scene of a table with stuff. I can click on the card and when I do...

OW, my eye! Wait, how is that even possible?

Anyway, we grab the ID card.

Next up, the Digout key gives us access to this hatch on the First floor.

RTL

RTL
The final Secret is in the tunnel just right of the larger room. In the room we can find a Fuse.

Why is this tunnel here, anyway? Did Mur (voluntarily?) get buried in with the Lighthouse and did he try to dig a tunnel to escape? Did someone else dig this tunnel?

Back at the top, we put the ID card in the left device and the fuse in the device to the right, in order to give the Lighthouse Lamp full power.

If anyone is hearing this... I'm gonna activate that so-called portal. I have no idea what might happen. If you never hear from me again, please try to find out if I have any relatives. If I do, please tell them what happened. For now, just wish me luck!

Ending cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbvg93gLzos

Crap.

And that was the Lighthouse. Next time, can we escape from the never-ending corridors in Submachine 3: The Loop?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 9, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I feel like Submachine 2 does a good job in setting the tone of the series and showing its expectations of the player. The lighthouse is confusing in itself due to the fact it appears to be buried and then you have this mysterous Mur who lost and found an arm, a cat and some girl Mur mentions letting you know that the story definitely does not end here and it is only going to get more and more complicated as you go. The puzzles aren't too difficult yet but they can be complicated and involved and do require backtracking to previous areas as well as making the player carefully pay attention to their surroundings.

Basically, this is a really good series as has been mentioned more than a few times by now. Now if only i could figure out how to beat the last game...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... what? The lighthouse lamp was just a television screen?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

So... what? The lighthouse lamp was just a television screen?

The lighthouse lamp is a portal, or powers a portal leading to some other place, as will be confirmed in the following chapters.

I honestly have no idea what that ending cutscene was about, I think it was only there because it fits neatly with the starting cut scene. One possibility is that portals screw with your mind somehow. If that's true, perhaps we also stepped through a portal at the end of Submachine 1, which took us to the Lighthouse?

As you can see, about a bunch of these things I'm just as clueless as anyone else, and all I can do is put my ideas on the table.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 4

Click here to play the game yourself

This game starts with some cool music.
Thumpmonks - Submachine 3 - Intro

The gif's framerate makes it hard to tell, but we're moving downwards at incredible speed through a series of identical rooms.

I'll say right now, this game is probably the most difficult to LP in the series. If you're not trying to solve the puzzles yourself there's not that much to see. So I'll try to keep the pace up for this game.

In this starting room we can do only one thing: pick up that device on the ground.

The device appears on screen. I've seen it called the Compass or the Navigator. We'll be needing it soon.

Grabbing the Navigator also makes the cover move from that button in the middle. In the standard version it's not possible at this moment to go through the doors or climb the ladders, all we can do is click the button. But in the HD version, it's possible to leave at this point. There are four new Notes hidden around the HD version of this room, and I'll post their contents during this update and the next one.

Anyway, let's press the button.

We fly off to the right at great speed and end up in a room similar to the one we started in. We also get passwords in this game, to restart where we left off if necessary. Some of these passwords are actually Polish words.

I think I'm gonna be sick...

We can now explore.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 3 - The Loop

To the right of the room we ended up in, we find this map room. The X shows our origin (the room we were just in, with the Passage machine), while the dots show rooms that are important. But who cares about maps. Let's just go further right.

As you can see, the Navigator acts as a sort of coordinate system. The left number shows our x coordinate, relative to the origin at the Passage machine, while the right number is the y coordinate. We can actually keep going forever in any direction, there seems to be an endless number of these empty rooms.

Looking down the corridor, this seems to go on forever. Where am I? Does this place even fit under the ground anywhere?

I mean, there's got to be some kind of software limit, but I don't know what it is. I tried going 100 rooms out, and the Navigator just keeps counting. Luckily, the puzzles are mostly located close to the origin.

According to the map there's something in the room above the Map room, coordinates 1,1. Let's check it out.

There's a kind of valve (It's more like a wheel-shaped switch, but what do you call that?), and when we turn it, the bottom light of the Navigator turns blue, while one of the top lights turns green.

Turn the valve in the next room over, and another Navigator light turns green.

There's six of these valves, and when we turn them all, all of the Navigator's lights turn green and the Passage machine unlocks. The big light on the bottom of the Navigator indicates how a puzzle is going: red = not started or reset, blue = in progress, green = completed.

This first puzzle is as easy as they get, it's probably meant as a tutorial on how to read the Map room and how to navigate the Loop. Let's use the Passage machine.

Going doooooooown...

Another one of those things? How many are there? This entire place seems to repeat in more ways than one.

Hmm, a whole lot of stuff to the top right this time. Every marked room contains this device.

If you click on it, a number appears. To solve the puzzle, you have to go to the room that number represents and activate the device there. Do this six times in a row to unlock the Passage machine.

The puzzle is actually less obvious than it seems, at first I didn't realize those numbers correspond to coordinates at all.

This seems like a good time for the first Note from the HD version.

HD Note posted:

Never stroll away from the center.
Never.

I had a companion once.
She said she wanted to check how far do these rooms go.

I've never seen her again.
I don't know who wrote this, but somehow I don't think it was Mur. Who else could've been here, though?

We end up at the location of the third puzzle. I think it should be clear by now that this game is rather different from Submachine 1 and 2, in that the puzzles are completely self-contained, and there's not really anything else to see.

Six rooms of interest this time. Let's start with the top right one.

The buttons let us increase and decrease all the numbers except for the top right one.

RTL
The top middle room has a valve we can't do anything with yet, while the top left room has another device with numbers. In this case, the number in the top left is stuck.

The same pattern is mirrored in the rooms below the Passage machine.

This puzzle is solved by having all four number devices match. In each one, a different number is stuck, so you have to check out every one to get the full solution. Each of the number devices makes a light on the Navigator go green. In addition, each pair of number devices unlocks a valve. Turn both valves to get the final two lights on the Navigator go green, and to unlock the Passage machine.

Urgh... how far down does this place go, anyway?

The marked rooms are a bit more scattered right now, and they all have the thing you see in the right picture. This one doesn't seem to do anything though.

Bingo. This puzzle isn't too hard. Just turn the knobs in the order they have been numbered.

Before going on, another HD Note.

HD Note posted:

I've been here before!

What to do?...
There's no obvious order to these notes, by the way. I'm just posting them in an order that seems sensible to me.

poo poo, I don't even want to imagine how horrible it must be if you wander off and can't find your way back because you don't have this coordinate thing. I'm glad I found it right away... Let's just hope it helps me find a way out of here. I'm starting to get kinda thirsty, and this doesn't seem like a place that would have a water cooler.

Another fast transport down, another subtle colour change.

All the rooms are to the top right. Last time that happened, it was a puzzle involving coordinates. In the rooms, you can use the buttons to pick letters.

It's as simple as it seems. A = 1, B = 2, and so on. Just set each room's letters to the coordinates of that room.

The puzzle wasn't too interesting. I'm glad to say that the games that come after this are more like Submachine 2, in that there's much more to see and do in the rooms. This game does matter in the overall story though, by establishing that the Submachine contains a seemingly infinite area. Let's move on for now.

Seven dots, scattered around. Let's start with the one just to the left.

We can use the buttons to cycle through the runes. Let's go to the other marked rooms to find some hints.

Once again the obvious solution is the correct one. Just place these runes at the indicated positions on the screen.

Press the button on the floor and if you got the runes correct, all lights turn green at once.

Alright, we're about halfway done with this game, so I'm going to end the update here. Next time, we'll try to find a way out of The Loop.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 9, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, ultimately, this is an indie production, and doing things like dropping a puzzler into an adventure game is just part of experimenting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 5

Thumpmonks - Submachine 3 - The Loop

We'll continue with puzzle seven. Let's see where the map wants us to go this time.

Oh. poo poo. Let's look around then. And not stray too far from the center.

Below the (broken) Map room we find this device. We can set it so that either the top right and bottom left lights are green, or the top left and bottom right ones, but not both pairs at the same time.

There's a simple pull switch down from the Passage machine, which we immediately use.

It turns on a projector in the room above the Passage machine, showing a pattern.

Finally, to the top right there's a valve that doesn't do anything yet. So what's the solution?

There's five more of these rooms to the right of the first one. We have to reproduce the pattern from the projector on those. So, the leftmost one needs to have the top left and bottom right lights on, and so do the third and sixth ones. The others need to be set so the top right lights are green.

Turning the valve activates all six green lights and unlocks the Passage machine. Let's look at the third HD Note before we continue.

HD Note posted:

He said to mark this paper every time I pass it.
drat. Looks like that one was stuck here for a long time. Maybe I should start putting marks on the wall, to see if I'm looping around too.

Who's "he"? Mur?

Nice to have a working map again. One room up we find this inactive device. It actually kinda reminds me of the turrets from Portal, although this Submachine game was released a year before Portal 1.

Under the Passage machine room at the origin, we find a device that allows us to pick numbers. These are obviously coordinates, and this machine is different from the earlier ones in that it allows negative coordinates. Anyway, the switch only stays down if we press it after picking coordinates that correspond to one of those 'turret' pods.

The pod opens, and we can pull down the two switches inside. Each switch activates a Navigator light.

Repeat for the other two pods, and the Passage machine activates.

Down to the ninth puzzle.

Another broken map. But it isn't much of a problem. The only rooms of interest are those directly above and below the Passage machine.

Only the grey buttons can be pressed, not the black ones. The buttons cycle through colours and letters respectively.

Just match up the colours with the first letters of their names. In this case, orange, yellow, yellow, black, orange, and purple.

This puzzle was changed in the HD version, by the way. Instead of colours and letters, you have to match up numbers with Roman numerals. I'm guessing that was done to make the game colour-blind friendly.

Press the big button under the colours to solve the entire thing.

Speaking of the HD version, here's the final Note.

HD Note posted:

The rooms reset every other cycle.
The compass will reappear soon.
If I only knew which cycle I'm in...
Cycle? Reset? Is that something the Submachine itself does?

This whole thing is reminding me of the horror film series Cube. And it won't be the last time Submachine makes me think of Cube. Submachine 3 was released a year or two after Cube Zero, and Mateusz has said he was inspired by Cube when making this game series.

Luckily, it doesn't seem the system is specifically out to kill anyone, so far.

The map for puzzle ten seems to be working. Let's go up and see what the puzzle is about this time.

RTL
Nothing in this room... and nothing in the room to the left either. What's going on?

The trick is that the map isn't a map this time. There's an empty map screen to the left of the Passage machine, and by clicking on it, you can fill it in.

If we copy the 'map' we can activate the valve below the origin (easily found if you do your normal round of exploring).

And the Passage machine unlocks.

A Note!

Mur's Note posted:

READ ME!

Have you noticed that with each puzzle solved you move deeper below ground? That doesn't look like a good escape plan. The machine itself is a giant trap. In order to escape it you must stop solving puzzles or you'll just remain perpetually in that loop. The loop is timeless, spaceless, without beginning or end. It's the worst place you could have find yourself after teleporting from the lighthouse. Here's what I want you to do:
Don't open the passage-machine in room (0, 0). Instead, look for a green leaf and bring it to the statue in room (-12, 9). This should disconnect you from the loop, in which case you should arrive at the Lab, or somewhere nearby. Good luck!

Mur

Should I really trust some weird dude that only communicates through notes? I don't think so. Let's keep going...

An actual working map this time. Going down, we find a valve that is currently inactive.

RTL
Going left from there, we find some kind of hint, and another inactive valve. The leaf can randomly appear in any of the rooms surrounding the Passage machine. I'll leave it behind for now, and show what it does in a minute.

On the top row, there's two rooms with coloured tubes and another hint. The buttons allow us to set the height of the colours, and the hints tell us how high they need to be. The difficult part is that the hints are in the wrong order.

Red, yellow, and white go at heights 2, 4 and 1. Blue, purple and green go at 5, 0 and 5.

Each triplet of colours activates one of the valves below, and by turning both valves we solve the puzzle.

This puzzle was also changed for the HD version. The hints are the same, but all tubes are grey. In one of the rooms there's some scribbles on the wall indicating the order of the 'colours' using the hint's letters. If anything, it makes the puzzle more difficult.

Let's see where it takes us this time.

Oh.

Uh. That never happened. Let's rewind a bit.

The password system is a bit finicky. I think the problem is that while the font is all-caps, with no distinction between lower and upper case, you do need to type the password in lower case.

Should I really trust some weird dude that only communicates through notes? I suppose I have no choice. A leaf, huh?

This time, the leaf is in the lower left room. Let's put it in our inventory (yes we do have one in this game), and make our way to -12, 9.

We drop the leaf on the pedestal, there's a spark, and...

In case you can't tell, we're finally moving up.

Hm, perhaps I don't want to escape. This is quite fun, all in all.

Hey, wait a second! I want to get out of here and go home, wherever that is!

And that was the entirety of Submachine 3. We will be going to The Lab, but not just yet. Next time, we'll explore a bit of the history of the Submachine in the first side game, Submachine Zero: Ancient Adventure.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 9, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Submachine 4 is really where the series kicks off for me and we'll see why soon. It just hits all the right notes for me.

The Loop feels like a weak entry in terms of gameplay but it does teach you that the answers to puzzles will sometimes require you to be smart about your answers instead of just trying to use items on everything. It also establishes the weird Loop setting too which does seem to be a pretty important part of the series setting as a whole.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So you just get that one warning before you get damned to eternal puzzling.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 6
Submachine Zero: Ancient Adventure

Click here to play the game yourself

This game, sometimes known as "Submachine 0", sometimes as "Submachine Zero", and sometimes simply as "Ancient Adventure", was released quite soon after The Loop. It was made for a game creation contest hosted by the game review website Jayisgames.com, in which contestants had only 3 weeks to create a full game. It has the least rooms of any Submachine game, except for the very first version of Submachine 1.

The game reuses the Lighthouse's help screen. We find ourselves in a place called the Ancient Ruins. This game takes place in the past, so we're not playing as our protagonist this time.

This area is to the left of the starting point. We pick up the hard-to-notice stone Tongue here.

To the right is another Tongue on a stand, and a Lighter hidden in the gap between the bricks. The HD version has one more area to the right, where you can see that the sky isn't as real as it seems. It shows that this area actually exists in a part of the Submachine we'll be visiting later.

Placing both Tongues in the mouths of the statues lets us open the gate by clicking on the knob in the middle. If you hadn't found the first Tongue by now, this would be a good hint that there's another one.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 0 - Ambient

Going down into the ruins, we find it's very dark. Luckily, there's oil lamps on the walls and we got a lighter.

We can go right or left here. Let's go left first.

Lighting the lamp, we see a rather dangerous looking obstacle. Those spears shoot out whenever your mouse cursor gets near them. They obviously won't kill your mouse, but we cannot pass, either.

Downstairs, there's a stone switch we can pull to disable the spears. Before going into the room behind the spears, let's explore a bit further by going right.

We can climb further down, just to hit a dead end. To the spear room!

The block in the room can be turned in order to show four different faces. If we put this 3/4 circle in front, a hatch opens at the dead end.

We pick up the red Jewel here. I wonder what kind of symbolism the creator(s) of this place intended with this winged scorpion.

Turn the block another quarter, another hatch opens.

Which gives us access to a second Jewel. We go back to turn the block one last time, to pick up the final Jewel.

This game doesn't add much to the story of the Submachine by itself. There are no notes or anything. However, Mateusz is good at tying things together, so we will run into the Ancient Ruins again in later games. I wanted to show this side game because it adds context to some parts in later games.

There's nothing left to do in the left part of the ruins, so let's explore the right bit. You may notice some things disappearing from my inventory, that's because I'm showing the screenshots in a more sensible order than the one I took them in.

In the room to the right, there's another spear trap. Let's go down to hit the switch.

Oh. It's broken off. I suppose we need another solution.

What you need to do is go and grab this Stone from one of the Jewel rooms. It blends in with the background, so at first I didn't even notice it could be picked up, and I got stuck here for a bit.

We can crawl through into the next room if we use the heavy Stone to block some of the spears. Yes, crawl. The top spears still shoot out if you get near, and you can only go to the next room by clicking the lower part of the doorway. I think little touches like that are neat.

This is where we need the Jewels. We place them in the jackal statue's slots in order to make the pieces float.

If there's something to take away from this game, it's that the Submachine does not only have ancient sections, they seem to consist of a weird mishmash of cultures. This looks Egyptian, but those statues outside the main gate didn't look Egyptian at all, at least not to me. And winged scorpions? Those could be Egyptian but I don't think I've ever heard of a mythological winged scorpion. A Manticore is somewhat like that, but not quite the same thing. E: Thanks to JamieTheD for pointing out it's actually a Skarabeus.

Anyway, let's climb down and finish this short game.

Thumpmonks - Submachine 0 - Outro

The wiki says that in this game we might actually be playing as Mur. This would be him finding the Wisdom Gem he left behind for us in the Basement. But I don't know if there's any real evidence for that theory.

This final message seems to be intended for the player, bringing us back to the fact that this game was 'just' a stand-alone contest entry.

I don't know about you, but I'm already excited for the next game, in which we'll learn a whole lot about the Submachine and Mur, and we will encounter an interesting device that many would consider a staple element of the series. See you soon for Submachine 4: The Lab.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 26, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't think I remembered that tidbit about the extra room in the HD version. Makes me want to go back and check it out for myself because without that knowledge there's nothing suggesting that this area is part of the Submachine as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Really interesting LP so far. Point-and-click puzzlers aren't really my cup of tea, but I like the art style and the soundtrack. Thanks for showing it off.

Thread needs a new page though.

• Locked thread