Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I was hoping the Star Citizen branded joystick would have a touchpad in place of a hat. I think it does have a trackball though, but that's just not the same. I still don't have a good solution for firing gimbaled weapons while orienting with a different axis.

The G600 is what I upgraded from. I love the thumb buttons, as you can tell which one your finger is on just from the angle, but I never ended using them for anything other than awsd when running from place to place in Skyrim and Fallout 4 while eating with my left hand.

Really, really good mouse though. Sure comfortable, and you can map the far right alt to a real actual third mouse button.

I love the configurability of Logitech Set Point. It's great to be able to map buttons on per-application basis, like mapping forward/back buttons to shift/control for light 3d work and such

If I could stick a few extra buttons and maybe another trackball on my M570 I'd be set for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chalks posted:

Open development is defined as not telling anyone what you're working on or when you're releasing it.

Correct. Hopefully someone takes the time to update Wikipedia.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you mentioned that CIG was putting their dev resources into something completely stupid and pointless, even for them

its the ps4 version isnt it?

It's going to be crates with physics. So I can hide in a crate on the launch pad and :pgabz: can jettison me into space.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

EVE has a couple of different tiers of “capability” in ships. Tech 1 (stuff anyone can build), Tech 2 (advanced versions of T1 ships), Tech 3 (alien-tech gimmick ships), and Faction ships (special hard-hitting pirate and empire ships).

Back in the day, T3 didn't exist and T2 ships were the thing to have for advanced fleet setups. Ships are built from blueprints — either originals (BPOs) of infinite production capacity or copies (BPCs) with a limited number of builds on them. While anyone can buy a T1 BPO and start building, T2 BPOs had only been available through a convoluted and rather silly lottery system that had been phased out a year before the incident in favour of a process called “invention” that instead produced T2 BPCs of varying quality.

This had two effects: one was that T2 BPOs were rare and would only become more so as no new ones would ever be created; another was that they were always better than the invented BPCs. The BPOs could also be improved beyond their initial state, whereas the BPCs could not. Having a couple of T2 BPOs was a license to print money, and some industrialists had practically cornered the market on certain items by buying up all BPOs from other players. While they're not as important as they once were because the economy has outgrown them, the BPOs remain to this day and are still being traded at fantastical (to the point of irrational) sums because of how handy they are.

The so-called “T20 incident” was when the largest and 1337est alliance — BoB, the quintessential enemy of the goons —was discovered to have received BPOs from one of their members, who also happened to be a developer at CCP (the eponymous T20). The way it was discovered was some classic EVE-style meta-gaming and (game-)corporate espionage, which initially allowed the perpetrators to hind behind a narrative of “omg, they hacked our forums!” This, combined with the fact that a developer was involved, allowed the GMs and moderators to go hog-wild in their censorship: the guy who discovered the donation was banned and his name was added to the EVE forum word filter so it could never be uttered again. Any thread discussing the topic was closed, nuked, burned, and kicked in the groin.

Enter the goon posting machine. No amount of heavy-handed moderation could actually keep the scandal contained with that kind of :justpost: warband on the loose, and it didn't help that everyone else actually agreed with the goons on this — and only this — one thing. It soon became clear that this was plain old developer malfeasance and outright cheating, so CCP had to actually do something to fix it all. Among other things, they instituted a player-populated oversight body called the Council of Stellar Management (which is own unending source of drama and political slapfighting, but that's for another time) and to slap a few wrists to at least regain some customer trust. Rules were also enacted that restricted exactly how devs could play the game privately.

The entire episode had severely damaged CCP's reputation; the trust in “the system”; and made old jabs of “Band of Developers” have a very nasty new sting to them.

Wow, they actually put a persons game name in the word filter? That's some next level stuff there.

Thanks for the write up.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you mentioned that CIG was putting their dev resources into something completely stupid and pointless, even for them

its the ps4 version isnt it?

I don't know, it's stupid and pointless, but not completely so. It looks like a hail mary at some untapped funds, so there is some logic behind it, however skewed. With Chris Roberts involved, it's likely to be something really, almost unpredictably stupid.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Fuzzy Modem posted:

You are totally right. They aren't actually there in her close-up and she is just pretending to see them, as her lighting was terrible the first time we shot (it's only slightly better now) so I had to get her close-up in a pickup shot later with neither of the other actors present. It's too bad you can tell, but as that location cost $100 and hour, even when we were still doing reshoots it wouldn't have been feasible.

Huh?

Thanks! :D It was fun to develop the concept. It's based on a graphic novel I self published in 2007, but I ran the premise through a local writing workshop and distilled it down quite a bit.

I never posted my own work here. I just referenced it in regard to my sympathy for those over schedule on their crowd funded projects. Doesn't mean they will never happen.

how is his sister two months older?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

EightAce posted:

There is a special surprise coming alright......

Two Weeks?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

blueberrysmith posted:

Hahaha. So it's basically a confirmed free-for-all with no actual development plan or milestones in place?

I still find amazing how the cult keeps finding ways to defend this crap?
I mean serously, basically he's telling you

" we don't have a list where you can follow our progress, hell I have no clue what the developers are working on. We might re-do the EVA system.. you know just for the LULZ and because seemingly its the only thing we can fiddle with without breaking the whole drat engine
Also, we have this special way of development where the content that is finished we send to PU, and the content that isn't finished will be patched in later when its done.... .... "
WELLL DUUUUUUHHHH

"except the Starmarine features tho completely finnished and need to be switched on"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

darkarchon posted:

I disagree. Spitting out versions just for the sake of spitting out a version without any relevant updates is not really how real development should be done.

Also none of what he said prevents them from posting a roadmap or feature list. For having such tiny arms he sure is pro at hand waving.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Strategic Tea posted:

badass psychopath spotted don't mess :allears:

A real psychopath doesn't give a gently caress, so we need to wait for negative confirmation.

I say we, I mean you because I don't give a gently caress.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

something something laundering funds something something nepotism and putting SC in maintenance modus.

See this is how real development should be done.

One of the many things I really don't get about their operation is the commitment to pushing lots of little patches (especially when they often have to undo changes that break stuff). With the huge downloads their crappy patcher requires, can the illusion of progress that frequent patching provides really offset the annoyance it elicits among their dwindling playerbase?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMaster posted:

how can his sister be two months older?

They weren't born. They were grown (at an accelerated rate.)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AugmentedVision posted:

Hey Citizens, come to SA and have a civilized discussion, we aren't a hugbox and welcome dissenting opinions!

*10 pages of personal attacks about poor guy's lovely indie film*

Dissenting opinions are welcomed more if they're not both retarded and insulting. Look at that loioioish guy. I don't think he got called a oval office one single time.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Wafflz posted:

That is truly the best mouse ever made, too bad they discontinued it and replaced it with a lesser mouse.

That isn't a Microsoft Intellimouse.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

This guy gets it.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Tell us again how you paid for platinum because you fell for the spoiler trick (and then made 100 spoiler posts to run that joke into the ground)

for real this guys posts are terrible and annoyingly consistent

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wise Learned Man posted:

One of the many things I really don't get about their operation is the commitment to pushing lots of little patches (especially when they often have to undo changes that break stuff). With the huge downloads their crappy patcher requires, can the illusion of progress that frequent patching provides really offset the annoyance it elicits among their dwindling playerbase?

I have to imagine there are several backers that now have to hide their cable bills from the SO since they go over a cap. But my god, they sent in their testing reports.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Previously they waited until features were available to release. Then the FPS module was delayed over and over again and it was several months before they posted any kind of substantial update.

Be happy Citizen!

I own this and it loving rocks. Of course I have giant hands so I needed a correspondingly large mouse.

I bought one of those a couple years ago back when I played WoW a lot. It's the best mouse I've ever had and I use it for everything. My friends think I'm insane but it's so nice to have things like sprint and crouch bound to thumb buttons like that. I almost never use anything but the WASD keys on my keyboard for games anymore.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

for real this guys posts are terrible and annoyingly consistent

Jokes get funnier the more you repeat them you see

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Hey spacetoaster you seem cool. I'm looking for a couple people to test screen the basically finished version of my indie film. Interested?

Don't really feel like doing research on Alabama or a stimpire. Sorry. Here are the drivers though:

http://x24.fr/lexip32.exe
http://x24.fr/lexip64.exe

The description of Sandi I hear from DS and other corners is so at odds with the person I know as to be extremely suspect.

That being said, I'm sure I have known terrible people without realizing they were terrible, but no, I do not believe Sandi- look, she would have to have, like, a split personality, which is possible, but pretty unlikely. I'm very done talking about it now. The Sandi bashing is the reason I DONT like this thread. I have nothing further to say on the matter.

How many hours have you spent talking to Sandi, on phone or in person. How many emails have you exchanged?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

The thing I find so incomprehensible is Chris' belief that after launching his game(s) (parts) that his company's entire business model will be able to shift from revenue generated from space ship sales to revenue generated from sales of limited amounts of credits and sales of Game Packages. He has said multiple times that he doesn't want the game to be pay-to-win but if what Derek and others say about their money is true

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Here in ireland we only drink for drunk not for drink, also anything that isn't amaretto and milk is gross thanks

perfect avatar post combo. amaretto and milk ewwwww.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Honestly, show me a game with better ship-buying mechanics. This game has been revolutionary on the ways in which you can spend real dollars on imaginary computer spaceships.
World of Warships? Never played it but they had a pretty good thing going with World of Tanks before they started shelling ships so maybe thats not a good comparison.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Say what you will about this guy

but "Meta Gaming Whack Jobs" is probably the single best description of goons I've heard
when you're right you're right. :golfclap: Space_Addict

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

That being said, I'm sure I have known terrible people without realizing they were terrible, but no, I do not believe Sandi- look, she would have to have, like, a split personality, which is possible, but pretty unlikely. I'm very done talking about it now. The Sandi bashing is the reason I DONT like this thread. I have nothing further to say on the matter.

It's like a 2001 prequel where an ape looks at the Obelisk, furrows its brow, shrugs and then walks away.

The rest of the movie is the ape flinging poo at any other ape that points out that there's a big ol obelisk over there.

It runs for 300 minutes to a stunning musical score with some jaw dropping cinematography.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

That illusion of progress isn't cheap. The 2.0.x patching to PTU & then live was almost half a million bucks worth of bandwidth.

You'd think fixing & optimizing a crucial game infrastructure problem like patches that burn money & goodwill in equal measure would be a tip top engineering dev concern, but evidently the brain trust they have in Frankfurt is too busy extending the CryEngine to make planets rather than fixing basic problems that should have been fixed day 1.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

How many hours have you spent talking to Sandi, on phone or in person. How many emails have you exchanged?

If this retarded says he's only had email correspondence with Sandi I'm gonna laugh my rear end off.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mrking posted:

The thing I find so incomprehensible is Chris' belief that after launching his game(s) (parts) that his company's entire business model will be able to shift from revenue generated from space ship sales to revenue generated from sales of limited amounts of credits and sales of Game Packages. He has said multiple times that he doesn't want the game to be pay-to-win but if what Derek and others say about their money is true
once it's released they'll move on to the kickstarter for Star Citizen 2 obv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

stinch posted:

He might work on it, or he might just not bother. Depends how he feels really.

Well either way it has put all my fears to rest

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Next will be "Star Citizen: The Movie"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wyoak posted:

Starcitizen 2: Stimpire Boogaloo

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Previously they waited until features were available to release. Then the FPS module was delayed over and over again and it was several months before they posted any kind of substantial update.

It'll be a nice change of pace, from getting one major feature patch annually to being drip fed monthly bugfix/quality of life improvements. Sounds like deck chair arrangement to me though. I fully believe these patches will be so empty of actual changes that not even the reality distortion field will be able to deceive anyone except for most entrenched.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

EightAce posted:

There is a special surprise coming alright......

What shade of blue should my balls attain before I contact a physician.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Natron posted:

Another goon might be making a parody star citizen game that'll use those two ships and some other goon assets. I don't want to steal his (her?) thunder by saying too much or anything though.

Look for something in... Two weeks.

thanks!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

They're going to announce Star Citizen 2 very soon and say both are being developed at the same time cause that's how they film sequels back to back and give us your money you stupid whales.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

blueberrysmith posted:

Hahaha. So it's basically a confirmed free-for-all with no actual development plan or milestones in place?

It's been that way for years. Why would they change now?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Romes128 posted:

If this retarded says he's only had email correspondence with Sandi I'm gonna laugh my rear end off.

The type of guy who refers to any female they've corresponded with as a "friend" is not an uncommon find. Usually it's the same types who will also defend them to the death, even if the woman they're defending would gladly step over their body to pick up a nickel they saw on the other side. It's "I think that stripper really liked me" syndrome.

Edit: The Onion apparently beat me to it by 18 years. http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-think-that-stripper-really-liked-me-10883

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

The type of guy who refers to any female they've corresponded with as a "friend" is not an uncommon find. Usually it's the same types who will also defend them to the death, even if the woman they're defending would gladly step over their body to pick up a nickel they saw on the other side. It's "I think that stripper really liked me" syndrome.

Yeah his white knight game on point.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

come on man

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Fuzzy Modem posted:

They weren't born. They were grown (at an accelerated rate.)

thank you, it was eating at me

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

it wasn't weird until you made it weird

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

:lol: That was my second draft. It was a thoughtful edit, too - my initial post said "human female."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Prop Wash posted:

it wasn't weird until you made it weird

sorry

fixed?

• Locked thread