Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

The Goatfather posted:

not really though anymore

really? I thought it was still really difficult to cash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Goatfather posted:

:aaaaa:

also no matter what you think of bitcoin it's still better and faster and cheaper for sending money internationally than western union and moneygram, as long as the recipient can turn it back into money or drugs or something usable at the other end (this is because moneygram and western union are terrible, not because bitcoin is good)

if you live in a country with an actual banking system (i.e.: basically every first world country that isn't the US, and a decent chunk of the rest of the planet) sending money internationally is ridiculously fast and doesn't usually cost anything.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Germstore posted:

really? I thought it was still really difficult to cash out.

as long as you're not cashing out tens of thousands of dollars there are a lot of companies operating more-or-less above the board that will instantly turn bitcoins into money for you. Also, in many shitholes around the world it's well worth the hassle for receiving remittances from abroad since the government taxes western union and the mailman steals all the cash in the mail

Quote-Unquote posted:

if you live in a country with an actual banking system (i.e.: basically every first world country that isn't the US, and a decent chunk of the rest of the planet) sending money internationally is ridiculously fast and doesn't usually cost anything.

yeah but I'm talking about former iron curtain shitholes and african countries and poo poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

as long as you're not cashing out tens of thousands of dollars there are a lot of companies operating more-or-less above the board that will instantly turn bitcoins into money for you. Also, in many shitholes around the world it's well worth the hassle for receiving remittances from abroad since the government taxes western union and the mailman steals all the cash in the mail

yeah but I'm talking about former iron curtain shitholes and african countries and poo poo

How do those companies get the money into your hands in estonia? Doesn't it just move the problem?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Germstore posted:

How do those companies get the money into your hands in estonia? Doesn't it just move the problem?

:iiam:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not a bitcoiner or anything I'm just saying that there are some frings uses of bitcoin that are fairly legit and represent an improvement over existing services for some people (at least, in their minds)`

It's still a drug-and-idiocy-backed currency that nobody should actually keep any amount of money in for any length of time and I can't imagine how any business can make sense of buying large quantities of bitcoin from people with real money

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If the point is avoiding western union then it wouldn't really help if the bitcoin company had to send you your money through western union or a similar service.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Germstore posted:

If the point is avoiding western union then it wouldn't really help if the bitcoin company had to send you your money through western union or a similar service.

well for the guy receiving bitcoin in estonia his best bet is probably to sell the bitcoins to a friend of a friend who's laundering money for the mob

with bitcoin you've got options, you see

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Goatfather posted:

so what you're saying is bitcoin is really good for transferring money so long as you live somewhere where you're unlikely to have an actual banking system but have access to a computer with internet access and can miraculously find a bitcoin exchange that is happy to convert your monopoly money into the currency and put it into the banking system you don't have.

and this is all after going through several steps of setting up a wallet, buying some bitcoins from an exchange that will more likely than not just steal your card details and laugh at you, contacting the person in the third world country to tell them how to set up a wallet on their end and then you can send them some bitcoins which will almost certainly require a significant fee on top of the transaction size for it to ever go through.

this is better than going to the nearest western union and handing over some cash + fee, then the recipient being able to get it back in their local currency at the other end because reasons.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

so what you're saying is bitcoin is really good for transferring money so long as you live somewhere where you're unlikely to have an actual banking system but have access to a computer with internet access and can miraculously find a bitcoin exchange that is happy to convert your monopoly money into the currency and put it into the banking system you don't have.

and this is all after going through several steps of setting up a wallet, buying some bitcoins from an exchange that will more likely than not just steal your card details and laugh at you, contacting the person in the third world country to tell them how to set up a wallet on their end and then you can send them some bitcoins which will almost certainly require a significant fee on top of the transaction size for it to ever go through.

this is better than going to the nearest western union and handing over some cash + fee, then the recipient being able to get it back in their local currency at the other end because reasons.

you should maybe buy something small in bitcoin sometime it'll dispel a lot of the goony myths about how complicated it is

you can instantly buy bitcoins on coinbase as easily as funding a paypal account and use it to pay for things on amazon for example via bitpay without having to do any of the nonsense you just outlined

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Goatfather posted:

you should maybe buy something small in bitcoin sometime it'll dispel a lot of the goony myths about how complicated it is

it's not that complicated, sure, but it's far more complicated than literally any other form of money exchange

The Goatfather posted:

you can instantly buy bitcoins on coinbase as easily as funding a paypal account and use it to pay for things on amazon for example via bitpay without having to do any of the nonsense you just outlined

i can also just type in my credit or debit card number. or i can walk to the shops and pay in cash. either of these things is less retarded than paying with bitcoins and is less likely to get me robbed lol.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

I'm starting to doubt:

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not a bitcoiner...

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Remember when someone was sending out "notices of extortion" demanding one Bitcoin? That was hilarious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Germstore posted:

I'm starting to doubt:

SA bitcoin threads are echo chambers of imaginary nonsense just as much as any bitcoin forum

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

SA bitcoin threads are echo chambers of imaginary nonsense just as much as any bitcoin forum

Since your answer to basically every question so far has been jibba-jabba I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the thread is right and you are wrong.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

oh no people are making fun of my pogs, i'd best call them goons in an echo chamber!

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

Nah, Goons saying bitcoin is totally useless is not equal to bit-coiners going "it's going to replace all fiat! It's going UP UP UP !"

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
As long as you don't care about your bank account, it's really not that hard to cash in/out small amounts of bitcoin these days.

However your bank may see you as a risk if you do this a few times and might tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Totally worth it though to send $10.00 $9.58 to some guy in estonia for ~*reasons*~.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

oh no people are making fun of my pogs, i'd best call them goons in an echo chamber!

just to reiterate, this post of yours is iamginary nonsense, a hyperbolized parody of something that might have happened years ago when mtgox was the only bitcoin exchange

Quote-Unquote posted:

the vast majority of people using bitcoin to buy drugs or whatever have no clue what a wallet is, or what their keys are, and have never bought or sold bitcoin from private citizens on an exchange. they are far too dumb to participate in your imaginary bitcoin world

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Bitcoin has tried the remittance case and nobody's managed to make a workable business of it. It seems the hard part is, ta-daah! converting the bitcoins to the local currency at the other end when there isn't a local market for bitcoins in that currency already. This was rebit.ph's big problem: that if you try to do the remittance thing with Bitcoins, you eventually have to turn into a Bitcoin exchange.

Transmitting money costs nearly nothing: the thing you're paying Western Union for is that last mile. And having people even trust you to do this thing in the first place. The trouble with a trustless currency is when it turns out nobody involved can be loving trusted.

You're talking to more than a few people who do actually know this poo poo and its terrible and hilarious history, y'know.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not saying it's a good idea man just that the existing avenues aren't great either and some people are absolutely using bitcoin in that manner

also, whenever an economy crashes bitcoin skyrockets as everyone tries to convert their soon-to-be-worthless currency into something they can freely move abroad and turn into dollars (and let's not forget that dollars spend pretty well almost everywhere, and it's generally pretty easy to turn bitcoins back into those)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Or you could just turn your money in for goats or dildos or whatever and they would spend and transfer more easily than bitcoins, and also convert into dollars more easily.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not saying it's a good idea man just that the existing avenues aren't great either and some people are absolutely using bitcoin in that manner

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tricky D posted:

When I worked for a insurance recovery company, I had the pleasure of helping strip down a really nice law office who's server room had mysteriously caught fire. I didn't think anything of it until the owner, who loved to talk about how his son was a genius with a full ride scholarship to MIT but turned it down to be in the family business, mentioned off hand that that same son was mining bitcoins in the office.

Amazing

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
People also use BitTorrent for legally transferring files.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wait, so the claim is that Bitcoin is good to get money into failed states with no infrastructure. But then to refute the argument that it's too convoluted and complicated to get the money out, an example was given of using Coinbase to pay for Amazon purchases?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Goatfather posted:

How many bitcoins do you own op?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Man accused of massive Dogecoin scams charged with raping 5 women
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/dogecoin-moolah-alex-green-ryan-kennedy-rape-accusation/?tw=dd

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Quote-Unquote posted:

I live in Argentina, which is not a terrible shithole by any means, but has had lovely protectionist governments. We have a banking system. But sending money to another countries is extremely difficult, and is completely impossible through the normal banking system. I know this because I'm moving to England in a couple months and I'm struggling to find a reasonable way to get my savings there (because I can't bring more than 10 thousand USD on my person). There's a roundabout system with bonds or some poo poo but I'll need to be settled there first, then come back and do it personally from here.

Western Union has a 500 USD daily limit, heavy fees, and a monthly limit I don't know yet but should probably be low.

I still wouldn't use bitcoin. I'd rather just spend the 2k USD for each roundtrip on a plane and bring 10k on me every time.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Pochoclo posted:

I live in Argentina, which is not a terrible shithole by any means, but has had lovely protectionist governments. We have a banking system. But sending money to another countries is extremely difficult, and is completely impossible through the normal banking system. I know this because I'm moving to England in a couple months and I'm struggling to find a reasonable way to get my savings there (because I can't bring more than 10 thousand USD on my person). There's a roundabout system with bonds or some poo poo but I'll need to be settled there first, then come back and do it personally from here.

Western Union has a 500 USD daily limit, heavy fees, and a monthly limit I don't know yet but should probably be low.

I still wouldn't use bitcoin. I'd rather just spend the 2k USD for each roundtrip on a plane and bring 10k on me every time.

is coinbase not reliable for cashouts or something? i bought a fraction of a bitcoin on there once and it worked pretty well. i mean a 20% fee plus the risk of carrying 10k in cash on you seems pretty silly

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

Pochoclo posted:

This may no longer apply but:

Step 1: Take the Buquebus from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento with your bag oīcash.
Step 2: Step into the local branch of the ScotiaBank.
Step 3: Open an account there and deposit your moolah.
Step 4: Take a plane to London. See the sights. Donīt forget to visit madame tussaudsīs. Itīs nice.
Step 5: Leisurely stroll into any local branch of the ScotiaBank. Check your account.
Step 6: Surprise!

Source: I used to live in Punta del Este and work in London(Marylebone!). I traveled back and forth every semester.

And i agree, i donīt know if the loving corralito is still active in Argentina but that was the worst thing, i remember 2002.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Gehenomm posted:

This may no longer apply but:

Step 1: Take the Buquebus from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento with your bag oīcash.
Step 2: Step into the local branch of the ScotiaBank.
Step 3: Open an account there and deposit your moolah.
Step 4: Take a plane to London. See the sights. Donīt forget to visit madame tussaudsīs. Itīs nice.
Step 5: Leisurely stroll into any local branch of the ScotiaBank. Check your account.
Step 6: Surprise!

Source: I used to live in Punta del Este and work in London(Marylebone!). I traveled back and forth every semester.

And i agree, i donīt know if the loving corralito is still active in Argentina but that was the worst thing, i remember 2002.

Thanks Uruguayan buddy. I will have to check if this still works, I think you'd still be smuggling the bag of cash through the buquebus because the law is basically "you can't take more than 10k usd out of the country (arg) physically in any way" but maybe with several visits, buquebus ticket would be much cheaper obviously. The Corralito hasn't been active for a long time, but there's still heavy restrictions on foreign currency and poo poo. Macri liberated dollar purchasing, and it seems like he'll be rewriting some laws about all this poo poo, but not yet. I'm consulting with an accountant next week anyway, still, thanks. I'm moving close to Hyde Park too.

Also re: coinbase, we're not talking a fraction of a bitcoin, we're talking my life's savings. I'd rather take the fees, or the risk of carrying cash, rather than giving buttcoiners my money.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin instead of this hilarious retarded scheme you've got going on. it's not the hilarious wild west libertarian wasteland it used to be now that the justice department has been cracking down on shady bitcoin operations for a few years

the goon buttcoin strawman desperately needs an update

jre posted:

How many bitcoins do you own op?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There's more sound ways of doing it than buying BTC, like buying an actual trading commodity. He could buy, like, stock or gold bullion or really any other thing that could be converted to liquid cash with a low loss of funds and just get it shipped to his residence in the UK or held by a international broker and then re-sell it at a slight loss once he got to the UK and have the funds be transferred to his new bank. But yeah, an accountant with experience in this field should have connections in telling you how to go about this, it's often inconvenient but not terribly difficult. My old boss was a very sketchy guy who used to do a lot of stuff for this yoga sex cult thing he was a part of and that often involved figuring out how to move large amounts of cash out of developing nations with heavily controlled banking. I think at one point they literally did the thing you do in MMO's where you transfer money by having one person list some random item for 50x what it's supposed to be worth on eBay and then have the other guy buy the worlds most expensive lamp or whatever.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Totally not a buttcoin shill honest posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin instead of this hilarious retarded scheme you've got going on. it's not the hilarious wild west libertarian wasteland it used to be now that the justice department has been cracking down on shady bitcoin operations for a few years

the goon buttcoin strawman desperately needs an update

Who is he supposed to buy the bitcoins off of in Argentina ?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jre posted:

Who is he supposed to buy the bitcoins off of in Argentina ?

Evita Ponzi

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tell me more about this yoga sex cult tia

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The Goatfather posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin instead

He absolutely shouldn't.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There's more sound ways of doing it than buying BTC, like buying an actual trading commodity. He could buy, like, stock or gold bullion or really any other thing that could be converted to liquid cash with a low loss of funds and just get it shipped to his residence in the UK or held by a international broker and then re-sell it at a slight loss once he got to the UK and have the funds be transferred to his new bank. But yeah, an accountant with experience in this field should have connections in telling you how to go about this, it's often inconvenient but not terribly difficult. My old boss was a very sketchy guy who used to do a lot of stuff for this yoga sex cult thing he was a part of and that often involved figuring out how to move large amounts of cash out of developing nations with heavily controlled banking. I think at one point they literally did the thing you do in MMO's where you transfer money by having one person list some random item for 50x what it's supposed to be worth on eBay and then have the other guy buy the worlds most expensive lamp or whatever.

I'm not saying it's a good idea man just that it would make at least as much sense than the hilarious scheme he outlined and cost him less

also once he's got bitcoins he can immediately send them abroad and cash them out, whereas with your plan he's still stuck with gold bullion in argentina. idiot

bitcoin is literally the only thing we've discussed that could move all of his money abroad in a few hours without government interference

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

goatfather still claiming he isn't a 'bitcoiner'?

• Locked thread