Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

…but…

If they were melted, how are they still in the “game ecosystem”? I mean, what form are they in and why is it impossible for CIG to remove them? What is the chain of transactions and ownership and how is it nor reversible?

I can't even get my head around what the actual problem is, much less why CIG has to go after this guy. :psyboom:

It's bullshit. It is intangible goods and they since they have no way of answering ANY of the questions above to the bank (in order to dispute the chargeback), that's why they're going after the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

:jerky:

Person A buys something, uses a method CIG approved, knew about and encouraged for marketing reasons to bypass a restriction on LTI that CIG put in, also for marketing reasons, to gift the item to Person B, Person B melts the item, buys a LTI version and gifts it back to person A.

Years pass.

Person A tries to get a refund as there's no sodding game as promised, gets told he can't as only has gifted ships. Person A does a chargeback, account gets closed, Person B gets hit with the bill for the chargeback despite not having the item (might have received a few credits tip from person A at most due to the lower cost some LTI items due to CIG marketing reasons).

:lesnick: says it's person B's fault, obviously.

Person A, having gifted the item to Person B, is no longer the rightful owner of the item. So Person A doing the chargeback, thus leaving Person B holding the bag, is the real issue here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

hakimashou posted:

Ooooh!

I was cleaning up port olisar in the Satellite of Love and some sperg was going on about how he was recording me to get CIG to bann me

I was reading a thread on the RSI forum and noticed I had a new notification, he posted the video on my 'wall' !

I've never gotten to see/hear the carnage that happens down there from that perspective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP9YbTZCqmQ

Everything about this is amazing but fuckin :lol: at how that chair pops out of the ship to greet him, it's like they sat at CIG going 'OK guys, we need more variation, we've used ladders with great success, has anyone got any other ideas though? - Yes, Chris?'

*hands wave wildly*

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Barnsy posted:

Wait, they're AWARE that he was defrauded, and they're STILL trying to get the cash out of him? What a bunch of complete and utter wankers.

Yes - that's the real story here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

fuzzknot posted:

The Friendzoner vs. The Nice Guy. It explains everything.

http://imgur.com/gallery/RmAjE

posting from 5 pages ago, but my favorite way anyone has described the problem with "being friendzoned" is that women aren't vagina vending machines that take currency in the form of being nice to them.

edit: and then I see you said that like 3 posts later, but gently caress it

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

posting from 5 pages ago, but my favorite way anyone has described the problem with "being friendzoned" is that women aren't vagina vending machines that take currency in the form of being nice to them.

Exactly. The correct currency is jpegs.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

I loving lost it at "thank you thank you you are too kind"

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Yes - that's the real story here.

I really hope you reach out to this guy and help him sue the poo poo out of cig.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

AP posted:
CIG Pulling Account Funds from Backers to Pay for 2013 Scams

https://redd.it/43wx9b

The LTI laundering marketing gimmick (let's face it, it was a marketing gimmick), that brought in a lot of money to CIG rumbles on.
This sounds like a wonderful justification for a lawsuit.

The lawsuit would be if in fact CIG takes the money from Person B's account. Because even if they were justified in doing so, that's going to do one thing: open up the ENTIRE project's financial underpinnings to legal scrutiny.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

…and on an unrelated note, EVE gets an FPS tie-in on PC as Dust514 development seems to be winding down.

Between that and Valkyrie, it looks like CCP is taking more and more of a module approach to their PC gaming experience. :haw:

Dust 514 is not winding down. It's been shut down in May: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-03-dust-514-getting-shut-down-in-may

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

Back when I played FFXI there was a big thing about a woman proudly announcing that she literally prostituted herself to another player for in-game currency.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zero VGS posted:

Back when I played FFXI there was a big thing about a woman proudly announcing that she literally prostituted herself to another player for in-game currency.

Truly the oldest final fantasy profession/job.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
Yes, buy her an "alpha" PC game when she has no PC. This is only a good idea.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zero VGS posted:

then there was the lady who hosed some guy to pay for her epic mount in wow

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

:pgabz: Reminder :pgabz:

It went as expected. And I can't talk about it :(

ps: Some serious news breaking soon. Two weeks.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

then there was the lady who hosed some guy to pay for her epic mount in wow

The ever infamous Mintfrog of EVE.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just finished reading this old article from last year about peter molyneux

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

fantastic stuff, really. interesting as all get-out, especially when they push him regarding some kickstarter promises.

(compared to the roberts, though, i think molyneux is just a dreamer and an idiot with a huge mouth. he's the snake oil salesman who genuinely believes the snake oil is medicine. i suspect he'd happily be penniless so long as he was working on some crappy game that he believed in.)

anyways it's interesting thinking of coder gods from videogames past. i hope there's at least a few interviews with chris roberts in the near future that go as intensely as this one.

edit: derek your serious breaking news better be a god drat goon de yadda

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

infamous brony citizen target acquired

mission success

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wafflz posted:

mission success

Yesss well played commando o9

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wafflz posted:

mission success

Imagine I am giving you a standing ovation

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

fantastic stuff, really. interesting as all get-out, especially when they push him regarding some kickstarter promises.

(compared to the roberts, though, i think molyneux is just a dreamer and an idiot with a huge mouth. he's the snake oil salesman who genuinely believes the snake oil is medicine. i suspect he'd happily be penniless so long as he was working on some crappy game that he believed in.)

anyways it's interesting thinking of coder gods from videogames past. i hope there's at least a few interviews with chris roberts in the near future that go as intensely as this one.

I always get shat on for this but I've enjoyed pretty much every Molyneux game I've played (DK1-2, B&W1-2, Fable 1-3). I didn't follow the pre-release hype so I didn't give a poo poo if the games didn't live up to his promises, I liked them on their own.

Of course now that kickstarter is a thing and people are paying for the promises, it's a different story.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Wafflz posted:

mission success

Thank you for your service, commando o7

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AugmentedVision posted:

I always get shat on for this but I've enjoyed pretty much every Molyneux game I've played (DK1-2, B&W1-2, Fable 1-3). I didn't follow the pre-release hype so I didn't give a poo poo if the games didn't live up to his promises, I liked them on their own.

Of course now that kickstarter is a thing and people are paying for the promises, it's a different story.

I've always thought it strange to poo poo on someone for liking a game, like HAHA YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF, OWNED!!!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Wafflz posted:

mission success

Curse you, Buge Honer. I really hope at least one person didn't understand your name in-game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

i also like most of his games! the fable series has some severe problems but part of me really likes them. they are a weird time-sink guilty pleasure.

yeah kickstarter was really the change, i think; a lot of people would have more time for Molyneux and his big mouth if he didn't get involved in it.

it's also the main reason why Star Citizen is going to have a fantastic public reckoning

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

peter gabriel posted:

I've always thought it strange to poo poo on someone for liking a game, like HAHA YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF, OWNED!!!

Pretty much. Some people though get really bent out of shape about stuff. If there is actual criticism but not actual flatout making GBS threads on someone's game/music/whatever, then I think thats legit. But at the same time, if its criticism it also falls on the fan to not get upset at said criticisms. Like I love Mass Effect but I'm not going to flip my poo poo if people diss it only because I know its not perfect.

But you're right, I get what you mean. In the end, if you like something then good for you.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

alf_pogs posted:

I'm not a big fan of Molyneux at all because i've been on the wrong side of too many promises of his, but holy gently caress this interview can eat poo poo. Straight up leads off with a "have you stopped beating your wife" question and somehow gets even worse from there.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

aleksendr posted:

:thumbsup:

Always loved Ravel's Bolero

I used to but then I found out it was probably the product of a degenerative brain disease :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D_Smart posted:

No; because, I'm sorry to say, they're sorta right in this regard. This is similar to buying Grey market accounts, ships etc. As long as you didn't buy directly from CIG, all bets are off.

And if someone sells you an account, then does a chargeback, thus taking the money out of CIG; yes, that's actually fraud.

HOWEVER, if CIG wanted to do the right thing, they would dispute the chargeback from the bank and they'd have to prove that the digital asset in question was in fact gifted to someone else. I suspect that they simply have no way of proving this. Hence the reason that they're after this person (who now owns the item) in order to claim that loss.

Also, if this was in the EU, they'd have a problem because the EU courts have ruled that people must be allowed to sell digital goods.

This is also similar to eBay/PayPal scams; which is why buying/selling with verified accounts offers the most protection.

The real crime here is that CIG is bothering to go after someone for this small (all things considered) amount of money. They must be desperate.
At the very least they should be able to rollback the guy's gift from the chargebacked account and then confiscate that to pay the 'debt'. Their argument is that he needs to pay because they "can't take those resources out of the game economy" due to being melted, except of course they actually already have by closing that account.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

drat thats a good read haha

i found myself struggling to get through molyneux's dialogue at times tho. like he twists around so many times it's difficult to follow what on earth he's trying to say, or he contradicts himself multiple times in one paragraph, etc. he rambles.

love that cold opener though holy poo poo. savage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Of the free to try ships the mustang is definitely the best ram and plow, i can sometimes survive up to 4 pad clearings before i have to get immersed in the getting out of bed animation again, it also has pretty good guns if you fly out to other places people can land and blow up ships on the pad.

I rate it 5 parps

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

At the very least they should be able to rollback the guy's gift from the chargebacked account and then confiscate that to pay the 'debt'. Their argument is that he needs to pay because they "can't take those resources out of the game economy" due to being melted, except of course they actually already have by closing that account.

There is no game economy, and even if there was they could if they wanted to.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nation posted:

rice is hard

Not really.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I'm not a big fan of Molyneux at all because i've been on the wrong side of too many promises of his, but holy gently caress this interview can eat poo poo. Straight up leads off with a "have you stopped beating your wife" question and somehow gets even worse from there.

Jim Sterling and Laura Kate were talking about this interview when it happened on the Jimquisition Podcast. She interviewed Molyneux the day after he talked with RPS, and she was pretty annoyed about how douchey the interviewer was etc. despite the whole issue with Molyneux still being a hosed up thing to happen overall.

It has shades of that Nathan Grayson guy who has done the same poo poo, he did it on RPS with some Blizzard interview about skins for Heroes of the Storm, where they try and pull a gotcha question to then either get a big admittance out of the interview or, if the interviewee sidesteps the question, bang on about how "they (the interviewee) clearly doesn't care about this issue I brought up." It's a pretty skeezy thing to do.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/02/podquisition-episode-12-the-buckfast-problem/

Her interview with Molyneux that was done the day after that RPS interview was done - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/13/peter-molyneux-game-designer-interview-godus

Edit - Here's that Nathan Grayson piece that the dude was basically mimicking https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/blizzard-on-heroes-of-the-storm-female-designs-in-mobas/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 4, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I found this. It isn't the original one I don't think, but it's... something

I don't know about the rest of it, but the penectomy and razor into the old ovaries are a direct and accurate quote, because they're seared into my brain.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

FrankieGoes posted:

Not really.

Literally.

:argh:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Actually seeing Molyneux enter a dimension where the only activity that exists is being browbeaten by 'games journalism' is pretty hilarious

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FrankieGoes posted:

Not really.

Yes it is. I mean, look at all those steps and images that illustrate the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Just wait until you go try and cash this month's check. That'll teach you to bite the hand that feeds.

Too late, I work now for this lady called, er, Mandi. Yeah, Mandi Gardener. And she tells me she is going to pay me in two weeks and is super-friendly with me. That lady must be a saint because she treats me (and therefore everybody else) so well.

Two weeks, just you wait.

• Locked thread