Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Amgard posted:

I thought K2 was too lightly traveled to have significant bottlenecks, and the main reason for its lethality was the steep inclines resulting in increased avalanche risk and greater exposure to high winds.

This is a genuine prod, I don't know why K2/Annapurna are more lethal, but I'm skeptical of bottlenecks.

If you want to know more about K2 and how dangerous it can be, I highly recommend watching the documentary The Summit. It's on Netflix (UK at least) and it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Oh welcome back! One of my favorite threads of all time. Here's crossing my hand nubs that we get some people on the mountain before wild avalanches destroy the entire season. It's always relatively refreshing to see such excitement.

ps my count is 31 for this year

Also, this is unrelated to everest but since we are talking about crazy sports(?) here, I always like to bring up mountain free running/climbing.

It's one thing to want to climb a mountain with cables/safety equipment, but wouldn't you rather run up it instead for time records :captainpop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Y0CmWze9I

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yessss
Alyssa Azar - the young Australian girl from Everest threads past - is making her third (3rd) attempt at having her corpse permanently adorn great Chomolungma

http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/blog/

Because while YOU may be under the impression that Mt Everest is an immensely challenging treking/climbing challenge beset with unpredictably hazardous weather and unstable terrain into an atmosphere in while human life cannot survive, in fact,

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Man people talk about getting away with murder saying there's no perfect murder but getting someone a trip to everest and trying to kill them on it? THat sounds like the perfect murder to me. 1 the mountain my kill them. 2 any attempt to screw them will probably result in their murder.

E:
Cruises also seem like a good place to kill people.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 4, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Man people talk about getting away with murder saying there's no perfect murder but getting someone a trip to everest and trying to kill them on it? THat sounds like the perfect murder to me. 1 the mountain my kill them. 2 any attempt to screw them will probably result in their murder.

Check out the book or movie The Eiger Sanction.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Microwaves Mom posted:

E:

Also my attic. There are days getting up there feels like climbing Everest with this drat arthritis

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Microwaves Mom posted:

E:

Cruises are definitely the best. International waters, no body to find, no one notices for ages since it's so easy to lose track of someone on a giant ship and there's no cell phones... Even when there's absolute proof of a murder, it never gets taken to court.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that climbing 8000‐m peaks without supplemental oxygen is dumb.

I can respect taking harder routes, climbing in the winter, and things like that.

Declining to use bottled oxygen, though, doesn’t make the thing you’re doing more challenging, it just makes you suck more at doing it.

I’m sure it would be harder to climb Everest if you put on fifty kilograms beforehand or if you brought nothing to drink but brandy, but those handicaps aren’t laudable, they’re foolhardy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

personally i do all my mountain-climbing with a helicopter

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I think that climbing 8000‐m peaks without supplemental oxygen is dumb.

I can respect taking harder routes, climbing in the winter, and things like that.

Declining to use bottled oxygen, though, doesn’t make the thing you’re doing more challenging, it just makes you suck more at doing it.

I’m sure it would be harder to climb Everest if you put on fifty kilograms beforehand or if you brought nothing to drink but brandy, but those handicaps aren’t laudable, they’re foolhardy.

Also, it's a complete crap-shoot as to whether you are able to handle high-altitudes. You can be the fittest Ussain Bolt athlete out there but your body just might not be able to handle high altitudes. It's totally arbitrary. Interestingly, women tend to do better at high altitudes.

http://www.bodyresults.com/e2r_fuelusage.asp

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

SteveVizsla posted:

Cruises are definitely the best. International waters, no body to find, no one notices for ages since it's so easy to lose track of someone on a giant ship and there's no cell phones... Even when there's absolute proof of a murder, it never gets taken to court.

and everyone is piss drunk.

Still I like the idea of murdering people on Everest as this is the everest thread.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Easiest way as I see it would be to replace one of their oxygen tanks with a tank of nitrous oxide. They wouldn't even notice they were suffocating. Bonus - take a spare for yourself and do whip-its at base camp to pass the time while acclimatizing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Serak posted:

Yessss
Alyssa Azar - the young Australian girl from Everest threads past - is making her third (3rd) attempt at having her corpse permanently adorn great Chomolungma

http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/blog/

Because while YOU may be under the impression that Mt Everest is an immensely challenging treking/climbing challenge beset with unpredictably hazardous weather and unstable terrain into an atmosphere in while human life cannot survive, in fact,

As much as we laugh at her because she goes for the I wanna be the first/youngest whatever to climb Everest and posts stupid 'inspirational' bullshit she's probably a lot more cut out for it than a lot of people and seems to recognise the challenges and dangers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Xibanya posted:

Easiest way as I see it would be to replace one of their oxygen tanks with a tank of nitrous oxide. They wouldn't even notice they were suffocating. Bonus - take a spare for yourself and do whip-its at base camp to pass the time while acclimatizing.

"Hey, uh, the bottle you just handed me says whip-its on it written in sharpie."

"Don't worry about it, I replaced it with oxygen."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StoneOfShame posted:

As much as we laugh at her because she goes for the I wanna be the first/youngest whatever to climb Everest and posts stupid 'inspirational' bullshit she's probably a lot more cut out for it than a lot of people and seems to recognise the challenges and dangers.
The inspirational stuff about mind over matter gets brought out because it seems backwards when a possible outcome is getting to a camp and the guide or medic is telling you to go home because your body just didn't win the genetic lottery and has poor response to altitude.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
how did you people become like this?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

the internet made me stupid

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

6 years of Everest threads man.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

33 people will die on Everest this season. It is known.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright well I guess if we're doubling up on numbers I'll go with 13. If we're not, then nevermind because all the plausible numbers are taken.

Have you heard of the Titanic? You know how the ship has become the most well-known standard for human hubris? Like, you just have to say "the Titanic" and everyone who you say it to understands immediately that you're referring to a historic disaster that was completely avoidable and that happened because of supreme overconfidence collided with incompetence, and the whole affair was salted with a hefty dose of lingering Victorian-values class injustice, what with the rich people getting lifeboats and the poor people getting to drown?

Well, Everest is like if, after the Titanic disaster, thousands of people just kept on making more Titanics and blithely sailing them into a bunch of iceburgs, over and over and over, never adding lifeboats, never changing the design, never learning from the experience, and meanwhile most of their families and friends and co-workers and the media just praised them for their bravery and perseverance and ignored the enormous waste of money, resources, the litter of sunk Titanics accumulating in the north Atlantic, made movies about it, and the governing body, I dunno let's pretend it's NATO, kept charging an exhorbitant fee for Titanic sailing permits because the impoverished people of Greenland need that money pretty badly due to the ongoing injustice of enormous disparities of resources between the rich and poor countries of the world.

And in this extended analogy, the people posting in this threads are the ones standing around at the docs going "hey you stupid fuckers, stop building Titanics, no you idiots don't get on that boat! It's gonna crash into an iceburg maybe, you might die, there's not enough lifeboats!" But people just won't listen, and eventually the crowds just settle down and start making bets on which Titanics are gonna crash and sink and hoping that it's mostly the rich idiots paying for passage that die and not the poor cockney-speaking ignorant bastards manning the engine rooms because the pay from one round trip voyage will feed their extended families for a year.

And you, Faux-rear end Nonsense, are I guess just wandering up to the docks and seeing the jeering crowds and shaking your head in disgust at us, because I guess you're just completely missing the context and thinking that we're the ones with the problem, what with the death pools and the schadenfraude etc.

But no man, it's not us, we're just posting on a forum. Kindly reserve your disdain for the profitable, established industry of "tour guide" companies who take rich people's money in exchange for hoisting them up a deathtrap mountain in order that they can experience a few days of oxygen-deprived delierium and tedious walking through snow at night strapped to a safety line while two or three locals whose economic situation is so dire that $20 a day is worth maybe dying for. Direct your scorn, goon sir, at the conga-line of starry-eyed Westerners who have convinced themselves that walking to the top of this mountain, for $60k to $100k, will add meaning to their lives, give them a sense of accomplishment they can achieve in no other way, earn them the accolades and admiration of their families and peers, and present them with a worthy challenge, none of which they can achieve in their otherwise apparently meaningless lives by doing much less stupid and normal things.

Marvel at the incredible lack of imagination it must take, to come to the conclusion that standing at the top of a big hunk of rock is worth a ~10% chance of death and a small fortune, when instead they could dedicate their efforts and financial resources to accomplishing something perhaps less immediately spectacular to the casual observer, but in the long run far more worthwhile to all of humanity: like, say, joining a NGO and traveling to an impoverished third world country as a volunteer to help build clean sustainable water supplies, or going to school, getting some medical training, and joining Doctors Without Borders to travel to a war zone and save the lives of kids who got their limbs blown off by land mines. You know, the sort of personal challenge that takes years of training and dedication, selflessness, and raw human grit to face, the kind of achievement truly worthy of respect and admiration, an undertaking involving some degree of personal danger, a facing of internal demons, genuine human bravery.

Redirect your sneer, please, for the people who actually deserve it, for needlessly wasting their lives and resources on a completely pointless and meaningless journey that directly endangers not only their own lives, but the lives of the people who they must hire to enable them to accomplish something that, if they actually tried to do on their own, would require decades of accumulated experience that they're simply not willing to go to the trouble of acquiring. Why, after all, should they obtain actual mountain-climbing skills, when they can just pay some very poor foreigners to do all the heavy lifting for them?

Check yourself, oh goon. It is you, and not we, who appears the fool now.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No, it's you who's the sperg. jfc

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

don't sign your posts

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

IKillForPie posted:

Also, this is unrelated to everest but since we are talking about crazy sports(?) here, I always like to bring up mountain free running/climbing.

It's one thing to want to climb a mountain with cables/safety equipment, but wouldn't you rather run up it instead for time records :captainpop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Y0CmWze9I
Oh my god, I have trouble imagining someone moving so fast with some of those drops, but those views are breathtaking.

Does anyone know any decent documentaries about the Matterhorn I should watch?

The First Ascent of The Matterhorn

The First Descent of The Matterhorn

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm going to be the first jobless, neckbearded, bald, white, American veteran to crash a titanic into an iceberg.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Leperflesh posted:

Alright well I guess if we're doubling up on numbers I'll go with 13. If we're not, then nevermind because all the plausible numbers are taken.

Have you heard of the Titanic? You know how the ship has become the most well-known standard for human hubris? Like, you just have to say "the Titanic" and everyone who you say it to understands immediately that you're referring to a historic disaster that was completely avoidable and that happened because of supreme overconfidence collided with incompetence, and the whole affair was salted with a hefty dose of lingering Victorian-values class injustice, what with the rich people getting lifeboats and the poor people getting to drown?

Well, Everest is like if, after the Titanic disaster, thousands of people just kept on making more Titanics and blithely sailing them into a bunch of iceburgs, over and over and over, never adding lifeboats, never changing the design, never learning from the experience, and meanwhile most of their families and friends and co-workers and the media just praised them for their bravery and perseverance and ignored the enormous waste of money, resources, the litter of sunk Titanics accumulating in the north Atlantic, made movies about it, and the governing body, I dunno let's pretend it's NATO, kept charging an exhorbitant fee for Titanic sailing permits because the impoverished people of Greenland need that money pretty badly due to the ongoing injustice of enormous disparities of resources between the rich and poor countries of the world.

And in this extended analogy, the people posting in this threads are the ones standing around at the docs going "hey you stupid fuckers, stop building Titanics, no you idiots don't get on that boat! It's gonna crash into an iceburg maybe, you might die, there's not enough lifeboats!" But people just won't listen, and eventually the crowds just settle down and start making bets on which Titanics are gonna crash and sink and hoping that it's mostly the rich idiots paying for passage that die and not the poor cockney-speaking ignorant bastards manning the engine rooms because the pay from one round trip voyage will feed their extended families for a year.

And you, Faux-rear end Nonsense, are I guess just wandering up to the docks and seeing the jeering crowds and shaking your head in disgust at us, because I guess you're just completely missing the context and thinking that we're the ones with the problem, what with the death pools and the schadenfraude etc.

But no man, it's not us, we're just posting on a forum. Kindly reserve your disdain for the profitable, established industry of "tour guide" companies who take rich people's money in exchange for hoisting them up a deathtrap mountain in order that they can experience a few days of oxygen-deprived delierium and tedious walking through snow at night strapped to a safety line while two or three locals whose economic situation is so dire that $20 a day is worth maybe dying for. Direct your scorn, goon sir, at the conga-line of starry-eyed Westerners who have convinced themselves that walking to the top of this mountain, for $60k to $100k, will add meaning to their lives, give them a sense of accomplishment they can achieve in no other way, earn them the accolades and admiration of their families and peers, and present them with a worthy challenge, none of which they can achieve in their otherwise apparently meaningless lives by doing much less stupid and normal things.

Marvel at the incredible lack of imagination it must take, to come to the conclusion that standing at the top of a big hunk of rock is worth a ~10% chance of death and a small fortune, when instead they could dedicate their efforts and financial resources to accomplishing something perhaps less immediately spectacular to the casual observer, but in the long run far more worthwhile to all of humanity: like, say, joining a NGO and traveling to an impoverished third world country as a volunteer to help build clean sustainable water supplies, or going to school, getting some medical training, and joining Doctors Without Borders to travel to a war zone and save the lives of kids who got their limbs blown off by land mines. You know, the sort of personal challenge that takes years of training and dedication, selflessness, and raw human grit to face, the kind of achievement truly worthy of respect and admiration, an undertaking involving some degree of personal danger, a facing of internal demons, genuine human bravery.

Redirect your sneer, please, for the people who actually deserve it, for needlessly wasting their lives and resources on a completely pointless and meaningless journey that directly endangers not only their own lives, but the lives of the people who they must hire to enable them to accomplish something that, if they actually tried to do on their own, would require decades of accumulated experience that they're simply not willing to go to the trouble of acquiring. Why, after all, should they obtain actual mountain-climbing skills, when they can just pay some very poor foreigners to do all the heavy lifting for them?

Good poo poo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

tentative8e8op posted:

Oh my god, I have trouble imagining someone moving so fast with some of those drops, but those views are breathtaking.

Does anyone know any decent documentaries about the Matterhorn I should watch?

The First Ascent of The Matterhorn

The First Descent of The Matterhorn

Is the Matterhorn even technically difficult? I thought it's super-popular, but maybe not just all the way to the top.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
That Effort post possibly won't be topped entire season.
/me golf claps

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah maybe that should just be the OP now.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

mike12345 posted:

Is the Matterhorn even technically difficult? I thought it's super-popular, but maybe not just all the way to the top.

It's not K2, but it's far from trivial

quote:

Today, all ridges and faces of the Matterhorn have been ascended in all seasons, and mountain guides take a large number of people up the northeast Hörnli route each summer. In total, up to 150 climbers attempt the Matterhorn each day during summer. By modern standards, the climb is fairly difficult (AD Difficulty rating), but not hard for skilled mountaineers according to French climbing grades. There are fixed ropes on parts of the route to help. Still, several climbers die each year due to a number of factors including the scale of the climb and its inherent dangers, inexperience, falling rocks, and overcrowded routes. The Matterhorn is thus amongst the deadliest mountains in the world. By the late 1980s, it was estimated that over 500 people have died whilst attempting its summit since the 1865 ascent, with an average of about 12 deaths each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn#Climbing_history

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

you are loving insane

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Last Chance posted:

you are loving correct

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
have any everest corpsicles gotten a darwin award by the way

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

You could prolly just delete the really lovely line at the end and this'd be a pretty good post

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah, without the self-aware pretention someone might think I was 100% serious. You can't use florid language unless you deliberately make it over the top.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

elwood posted:

As posted in the last thread:

First goon to die from mt dew and cheetos withdrawal at everest base camp 2016 here I come...if no one else beats me to that before november.

how will your corpse be known

yellow fingers?

neckbeard?

also, OP add me to the deathpool with 10 dead

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

how will your corpse be known

yellow fingers?

neckbeard?

He'll have a sign around his neck that says "DO YOU HAVE SERACS IN YOUR HOUSE?"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm gonna release a patch for the game probably on Friday. I'm gonna put the death pool as it is by midnight CST tonight in the game as something accessible from the pause menu, so make your bets in the next six hours or you'll have to wait a few weeks for your prediction to end up in the next public build.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xibanya posted:

I'm gonna release a patch for the game probably on Friday. I'm gonna put the death pool as it is by midnight CST tonight in the game as something accessible from the pause menu, so make your bets in the next six hours or you'll have to wait a few weeks for your prediction to end up in the next public build.

What is this game?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had altitude sickness and smashed my skull on rocks. I am not well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The gods having had their fill the last two years will only require the sacrifice of 6 brave souls this season.