Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 9: REFINING OUR STRATEGY

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Hahahaha, I see you met the high powered version of Andy (my own name for him because he somehow looks exactly like a guy I knew in school), aka the Stamina Monster.

The guy you beat up right before him is Ford for similar reasons.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 29, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I assume this is what you did to the pizza delivery man to get your free 'za.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Niggurath posted:

If he doesn't die in 30 minutes or less, it's free!

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I'm back from a long holiday weekend, whoo! Dvid is doing mad finals at school so unfortunately we'll have to put this series on hold for a few months. This Saturday's episode (as well as our Duke Nukem 3D LP's) will be the last one this year; hopefully we can get back on schedule by the end of January. Until then I'll hopefully have a few series with a guest host or two, and we have a few stupid one-offs we recorded in our last session with Dvid. Make sure you subscribe to the channel on YouTube if you want to keep up (Thanks! It also helps a lot with our search rankings), but I'll most likely be posting stuff in the subforum as well. Thanks to everyone for sticking around, you're all great!!

armoredgorilla posted:

Hahahaha, I see you met the high powered version of Andy (my own name for him because he somehow looks exactly like a guy I knew in school), aka the Stamina Monster.

The guy you beat up right before him is Ford for similar reasons.
Ever since you mentioned this phenomenon it has become painfully apparent. THEY JUST WON'T FRICKIN DIE

Niggurath posted:

Lizard Wizard posted:

If he doesn't die in 30 minutes or less, it's free!
:cenobite::respek::twisted: I love you, you beautiful monsters.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 10: A NEW LOW

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I know you're feeling discouraged, but these videos are super cathartic for me because every single mistake you guys talk through was made many times by Kid Choco and friends. I sometimes think I've died from more walls than baddies.

You got Stone Hands! I think you can figure out what Dragon Feet does based on that. There's several other special move modifiers in the bookstores though. In case you didn't realize it, yes your throw stat is low, that's why you aren't killing any of these top tier gangs (the squids in the dark red shirts are the very top level random gang) when you pick them up and throw them.

I'm hoping next episode you have enough for the sauna. It's the best, and needs to happen on screen. Fun fact there, if you've beaten all the bosses up to that point, a pair of them should start spawning outside the sauna. They even made the effort of having their silhouettes in the window when you're in the sauna.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you guys are really hurting for money, it might be a good idea to go and farm Moose, the first boss at that construction site. Should be able to chump him pretty hard with Stone Hands!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

You got Stone Hands! I think you can figure out what Dragon Feet does based on that. There's several other special move modifiers in the bookstores though. In case you didn't realize it, yes your throw stat is low, that's why you aren't killing any of these top tier gangs (the squids in the dark red shirts are the very top level random gang) when you pick them up and throw them.

Dragon Feet is pretty much the first thing I try and get. It's so useful.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I know you're feeling discouraged, but these videos are super cathartic for me because every single mistake you guys talk through was made many times by Kid Choco and friends. I sometimes think I've died from more walls than baddies.

I'm hoping next episode you have enough for the sauna. It's the best, and needs to happen on screen. Fun fact there, if you've beaten all the bosses up to that point, a pair of them should start spawning outside the sauna. They even made the effort of having their silhouettes in the window when you're in the sauna.

There's an item in the secret shop that boosts throwing by 20, and all told is not terribly expensive. And a little late but that gap in the factory can be jumped, it requires a running start and pretty good timing though.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Choco1980 posted:

This means a lot to us, man. On top of all the fun (and pain) we're having by recording these videos, if even one person has a little jolt of nostalgia going through them, that's all we need to keep going. <3

Choco1980 posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, no sauna in the next episode (last one this year) but we'll make sure to visit it in a later video. Also that little detail with the silhouettes is really loving cool. Technos really went all in with the design and direction of this game for its time, as innocent as it looks.

Sloober posted:

There's an item in the secret shop that boosts throwing by 20, and all told is not terribly expensive. And a little late but that gap in the factory can be jumped, it requires a running start and pretty good timing though.
Considering our incompetence, when Choco mentioned a point of no return referring to that spot in the factory, I was a bit scared. We prefer our method of travel though, which is dying every loving corner so the game puts you back in the previous town. :tipshat: :smithicide:

Next time we're recording we want to do some more off camera grinding for the Dragon Feet for sure, and that Throw boost sounds pretty good as well. One more episode this Saturday before the series goes on break!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The throw boosting item in the secret shop (you haven't found the shop yet, and I'm not telling) definitely is "cheaper" than a lot of alternatives at twenty bucks. There IS a throwing ability book however, called Javelin Man.

Regarding the point of no return, people keep saying they've made it themselves but I'm not buying it. I'm talking about that big jump down in the factory. The only way as a kid I ever managed to get back up there would involve standing on top of the other player who would be holding a crate first. So, shenanigans.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

The throw boosting item in the secret shop (you haven't found the shop yet, and I'm not telling) definitely is "cheaper" than a lot of alternatives at twenty bucks. There IS a throwing ability book however, called Javelin Man.

Regarding the point of no return, people keep saying they've made it themselves but I'm not buying it. I'm talking about that big jump down in the factory. The only way as a kid I ever managed to get back up there would involve standing on top of the other player who would be holding a crate first. So, shenanigans.

I played through the game over the weekend and made the jump a few times. If you run and jump + hold jump, you get a second version of the jump which is much higher than the standard jump. You have to do it from the very top edge, and you have to time it so you jump at the last minute, but it is most assuredly possible.

E. it sounds like you mean jumping straight up from the bottom, of which yes, you are correct you cannot jump up that way. You have to jump the horizontal gap.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 4, 2015

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I don't know about anyone else, but I personally wouldn't mind if you wanted to include a little more of the grinding/equipment buying, as long as it doesn't increase your editing times too much. 15 minutes episodes feel a bit on the short side.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Episode 11 was supposed to go up two days ago but I'm having internet troubles so I'm still struggling with the uploads, so stay tuned.

Choco1980 posted:

The bubblegum quote is from THEY LIVE you poltroons.
Hah, just noticed this post. We need to brush up on our movie trivia, I guess! No bigs, we've only misattributed that quote in about four of our videos so far. Also I'd totally watch your playthrough if you made one after we're done, it'd be cool to see how someone who actually knows how to play the game would complete it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you guys are really hurting for money, it might be a good idea to go and farm Moose, the first boss at that construction site. Should be able to chump him pretty hard with Stone Hands!
Good tip! We'll have to start trying to tackle some more bosses next year when we get another chance to record, we're 10 episodes in and we beat like two of them.

Son Ryo posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally wouldn't mind if you wanted to include a little more of the grinding/equipment buying, as long as it doesn't increase your editing times too much. 15 minutes episodes feel a bit on the short side.
We hear ya. Thanks a lot for the feedback! Next time we're recording we're gonna aim for a bit longer episodes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The most dangerous mosh pits occur in the warehouse:

Also I'm always constantly amazed at some of the high skill deaths you guys are able to suffer under:

And it's good to know that the punch upgrading is a murdering jackhammer to both enemies and yourself. Still it seems pretty easy to make an unbalanced glass cannon in this game cause it seems randomly that your characters will just get completely annihilated.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Niggurath posted:

The most dangerous mosh pits occur in the warehouse:

Also I'm always constantly amazed at some of the high skill deaths you guys are able to suffer under:

And it's good to know that the punch upgrading is a murdering jackhammer to both enemies and yourself. Still it seems pretty easy to make an unbalanced glass cannon in this game cause it seems randomly that your characters will just get completely annihilated.
CARVE THESE GIFS INTO GRANITE, I'M DYING

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Haha, honestly, a skilled playthrough (and I'm hardly skilled, just knowledgeable) doesn't look much different from your rookie playthrough, just with you know, less getting punched.

A couple of tips I remembered from recently starting up the eatman challenge:

Use the vertical plane to your advantage. The AI isn't nearly as quick to adopt to serpentines as you are.

Also, standing on things like fences and walls totally confuses them. If they're already coming at you they'll continue that attack, and if the wall is low enough (a few are) they can still attack you, but most of the time they'll just stop dead in their tracks or maybe walk up to the top of the screen first. This makes it easy to jump down and clobber them before they have a chance to block.

The other AI pattern I noticed is that enemies LOVE to bee-line straight to weapons when they first get on screen. You can easily use this to bait them into your attack.

The chain has the longest reach, and the tire seems to have the largest blocking hitbox when it comes to timing your swing to deflect a thrown weapon.

Unless you grind the weapon or throw stats, stone hands already has overpowered any weapon you pick up. Other Book Spoilers: Dragon feet is obviously the same technique only with kicks. The more expensive Grand Slam book is the same with swinging a weapon. Acro Circus turns your jump into a flying somersault that damages enemies on contact, but it does limit your jumping ability ironically. Javelin Man greatly increases your throw distance (while not affecting damage), you can now throw enemies across the room, and they will hurt people they collide with quite a bit. Finally Fatal Steps makes it so you damage fallen enemies if you step or jump on top of them. I'm like 95% sure that the super expensive Texas Boots from the shoestore does the same. Everything else is stat related you can purchase, though the stuff in the secret shop we'll let you look for have crazy good properties, and costs reflect that.

Also, I was wrong last post, the Internationals are tougher than The Squids. The Internationals give the most money of any gang too, but there are two gangs that are tougher (The Cowboys and The Plague) They only appear in the last couple screens of the game though.

Regarding boss order: First there's Moose at the construction site early in, before the second town. You've already defeated him. Benny & Clyde are in under the long bridge, where there's the up exit on the left side to get to them. Then there's the guy in the two story box factory, Rocko. After you fight him, the Zombies are available to fight. Blade is back at the little park with the bathrooms in it. As long as you are patient and defeat every gang fully after that you come across, you should run into each boss naturally. Turk is just after the tunnel, and Mojo is in the area with the big horizontal pipes and stone wall. Beat those last three and Thor will show up at the end of the long factory. Also Benny & Clyde now start showing up in front of the sauna. After that the final set of bosses now appear each to a screen starting with the gates to River City High, you have to beat each one to unlock fighting the last boss.

A good tip for boss fights is to set the message speed to slow, you can usually get in some sucker punches while they're gabbing.

Wow, I typed a lot of stuff here.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Great tips Choco, we'll have to keep those in mind next time we record. That said...

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
THIS SERIES IS NOW ON BREAK while my co-host Dvid is doing his exams at school! Subscribe to our YouTube channel and follow us on Twitter to keep up with our guest series in the meantime. We can hopefully continue with this some time in January or early February at the latest.

And here's the last episode we had time to record this year:

Part 11: DEATH BY TRASHCAN

Thank you so much for everyone for following so far! You've been a great audience. We'll be back with a vengeance in 2016, hot sauna action included.

PS: we've just started playing Blackthorne with a guest host while Dvid's away!! :c00lbutt:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I can absolutely confirm your theory that the sprite issues are hardware limitations and totally did those errors on the physical NES.

I still say it's next to impossible to cross right to left through that orangeish room in the factory, especially with Acro Circus, but at least dying appears to take you to the previous mall instead of the last one you were in, so at least there's that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've never really understood why emulators that are on decidedly better hardware than what they're emulating still have the same issues with hardware limitations.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

armoredgorilla posted:

I've never really understood why emulators that are on decidedly better hardware than what they're emulating still have the same issues with hardware limitations.
1) Purism :engleft:
2) I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of games relied on these limitations to do a lot of clever stuff

That said a lot of modern emulators do have overrides for these things to make games prettier at the cost of Nostalgia Points.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
If you stand on the north edge of the orange factory room, you can dash jump over to the other side easily.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mkwong98 posted:

If you stand on the north edge of the orange factory room, you can dash jump over to the other side easily.

It's possible you just can't do it with Acro Circus, which does change your jump arc. However, my many years as a frustrated child says you're a filthy liar, and I will fight you bare knuckled in the ring for 20 rounds to prove it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Go ahead and get Dragon Kick, but please, for the love of God, one of you learn acro circus and figure out how to use it so we can see the ensuing shenanigans.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

armoredgorilla posted:

Go ahead and get Dragon Kick, but please, for the love of God, one of you learn acro circus and figure out how to use it so we can see the ensuing shenanigans.
Please nobody tell me what that ability does exactly. Can't wait to fail miserably at using it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Holy crap, I just saw today that a couple days ago on Steam a new Kunio-Kun game came out, River City Super Sports Challenge!

For those who don't know, there's two types of Kunio-kun games--the beat em ups, that started with the prototype "Renegade" and River City Ransom is part of, and the sports games. The NES actually ported a few of the sports ones like Super Dodge Ball and Crash 'N The Boys Street Challenge to the US. Like in the latter case this appears to be some rough and tumble street sports with four teams.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Holy crap, I just saw today that a couple days ago on Steam a new Kunio-Kun game came out, River City Super Sports Challenge!

For those who don't know, there's two types of Kunio-kun games--the beat em ups, that started with the prototype "Renegade" and River City Ransom is part of, and the sports games. The NES actually ported a few of the sports ones like Super Dodge Ball and Crash 'N The Boys Street Challenge to the US. Like in the latter case this appears to be some rough and tumble street sports with four teams.

It's actually a remake of "Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai". The cross country event is so silly, especially when they're running through someone's house. Some footage is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeLnGWg8VE4

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Oh my God you guys! We're recording again-- now around 20 minutes per episode, no less. It's good to be back. :allears:

If you're subscribed to the YouTube channel you might have already seen the latest episode that went up not long ago. We'll be putting out new vids on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Part 12: NOT EVEN ASHAMED ANYMORE

:siren: :synthy: Playlist :siren:

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Exquisite gameplay as usual. Top notch stuff. You will not be disappointed.

Part 13: MONEY WELL SPENT

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Not sure if you've figured it out, but if one player runs off the side of the screen without the second player, there is an unseen wall a few feet past the end of the screen. When you ran through towns and suddenly lost your weapon before the next screen, it's because you technically ran into the wall after the end of the screen.

Also I don't think all of the bosses respawn but I could be wrong. And I recommend getting Grand Slam for your next book, although it is about 57.60 or so. Worth every penny.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fatal Steps is a very niche maneuver but it can be useful. With it, when a baddie is lying on the ground but not dead, if you run over them you'll do more damage. I want to say that the Texas Boots (which are obscenely expensive) do this as well, but I'm not positive.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's good to see you guys back and doing what I would expect in this game.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/IndolentPerkyHeterodontosaurus.webm
See you later, shitlords!

And just because you asked:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/WelcomeDifficultBillygoat.webm

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Hahaha it's always so funny to watch these after playing. I miss a lot of great details when I'm focused on the game. "Take that, space formerly occupied by an opponent!"

DrHolmesPhD posted:

Not sure if you've figured it out, but if one player runs off the side of the screen without the second player, there is an unseen wall a few feet past the end of the screen. When you ran through towns and suddenly lost your weapon before the next screen, it's because you technically ran into the wall after the end of the screen.

Also I don't think all of the bosses respawn but I could be wrong. And I recommend getting Grand Slam for your next book, although it is about 57.60 or so. Worth every penny.
Pretty sure all bosses respawn, at least the ones before the school. As pointed out in a YouTube comment by Lizard Wizard, we've been grinding at the wrong spot waiting for that one boss to appear. Turns out we forgot there was more than one area with trees in the background. I'M SURE WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN *foreshadowing*

Choco1980 posted:

Fatal Steps is a very niche maneuver but it can be useful. With it, when a baddie is lying on the ground but not dead, if you run over them you'll do more damage. I want to say that the Texas Boots (which are obscenely expensive) do this as well, but I'm not positive.
Grand Slam & and Fatal Steps will have to wait a bit, as far as I remember we're getting Human Javelin next.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
None of these things are Acro Circus

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Grand Slam is pretty nice. If you're familiar with the sports term, you can probably imagine what it does.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 14: LOOK AT THE PIXEL BUTT

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

YEEESSSSS, I've been waiting for pixel-butt for SO long.

Also, I think you missed bosses WAAAY back early in the game. I KNOW you haven't fought the twins yet behind the bridge. Remember where you had that long talk with the girl that didn't really matter but took forever on like, the second screen after the first town? There's a little exit upward on the left hand side, where a double boss sits. You probably have to beat them before starting the rest of the chain of bosses. There IS a boss that spawns partway through the game in that park early on in the game (where the toilet rooms are) but that's the only true backtracking needed.

Also, yeah, the gangs change semi-randomly from location to location.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I explained it already, but: basically, when you do anything that restores stamina beyond full, you get some max power. Mystery solved, I hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I don't know if you'll ever want to after playing this one so much, but if you ever get the chance maybe give the GBA version of this game a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHTIjY-MoI. It looks like it might be good moddable fun for you two.

• Locked thread