Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really like how substantial urban areas are now. Driving through Los Angeles or San Francisco actually takes a while now, and there's cool scenery to see. It's not just a loop of warehouses and repair shops with some landmarks looming over the horizon, like Paris or London or wherever were in Euro Truck Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Empress Theonora posted:

I really like how substantial urban areas are now. Driving through Los Angeles or San Francisco actually takes a while now, and there's cool scenery to see. It's not just a loop of warehouses and repair shops with some landmarks looming over the horizon, like Paris or London or wherever were in Euro Truck Simulator.

"Oh, neat! I'm going to go visit the Eiffel Tower!"

*ten minutes later*

"Why are no roads leading to where I want to go?!"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Euro Truck Simulator 2: No roads lead to Rome Eiffel tower.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Game runs beautifully for me, so that's good. It's also weird as gently caress to see my town in a game.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I need to file an insurance claim.

My truck is stuck, how do I get unstuck? :(

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

nerox posted:

I need to file an insurance claim.

My truck is stuck, how do I get unstuck? :(

On your gps one of the selectable tabs allows you to ask to get towed.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
How i play the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ8WKscGo8I

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6kPpgQ_4w

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Lmao they really gotta allow you to make like a U-turn up the road, or have a more obvious warning.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

shortspecialbus posted:

The thing that's annoying me right now is the utter lack of breaks in traffic when trying to get back on Highway 6 just outside of Tonopah from a delivery. I'm going to be stuck here forever.
In case people forgot/don't know, if you really really get stuck with this changing any graphics option (anything that makes you click the Apply button) will clear out all traffic on the screen. Loading a save will too, but that takes more time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Came to t-junction this evening behind a mustang and was waiting to turn left. THE TRAFFIC WAS NEVER ENDING! I eventually had to back up (hitting a car and incurring a hefty fine) before going around the mustang and slowly attempting to make traffic stop so I could go. It worked for the first lane and the second lane was clear so I started going. The third and fourth saw what was up and let me but JUST as I'm about to clear the oncoming lanes some busted old rear end convertible SLAMS into the trailer (of explosives) doing about 18% damage to it.

I can't wait for Arizona.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It's pretty funny how much I gently caress up simple things like missing the gate to the warehouse and I have to jack knife back - while a shitload of traffic backs up behind me.

Also, being pinged for being 4mph over the limit because I forgot to keep an eye on the speed limit by cops. Or super enemies, as I now think of them.

I guess I've would lived a bigger area to start off with, but on the other hand, what there is is great, the variety and the detail of stuff is definitely a step up from the base ETS2 - although the Scandinavian DLC is a pretty good indicator of their more detailed approach. I hadn't actually played much of ETS2 since I got my ultra-wide monitor so it's even better.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In case people forgot/don't know, if you really really get stuck with this changing any graphics option (anything that makes you click the Apply button) will clear out all traffic on the screen. Loading a save will too, but that takes more time.

I know this, but MY IMMERSION :saddowns:

I ended up just nosing my way in which I hate doing but really what were that many cars doing there? Going to Burning Man?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
They really nailed the feel of california highway driving, but after playing a few hours there's some inaccuracies, for sure

the 5 near San Diego looks pretty accurate, but after you leave san diego the 5 starts running along the coast and you get some nice beach views past the nuclear power plant and into orange county. i feel like they missed a real opportunity to put some big stone titties in the game

and there's no tunnel through a mountain after LA lol

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

This is what you get for driving in third person.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quadrophrenic posted:

i feel like they missed a real opportunity to put some big stone titties in the game
"Everywhere I look, something reminds me of her."

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
There are already a couple of mods that relax the police a bit. It does not look like there's any way for modders to extend a 5-10 MPH leeway, but you can adjust the probability and "check_delay" of each offense type. I'm hoping that increasing the police car speed check delay from its default of two seconds to something longer will make those sudden drops in speed less painful.

Here is the full police config file that is moddable.

edit: I also discovered that you can adjust the point at which the turn signal resets. It's always bugged me how close to center the steering wheel has to go before canceling the turn signal.

edit2: It's also very easy to reduce the police frequency. I'm definitely turning that waaaaay down.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I haven't tried it yet, but presumably it has the same console and console commands as ETS2, which means that, if you want to be really adventurous, you can just turn the fines off completely.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
You can disable cops entirely with one line in the cfg. The point is that I like having some kind of fines/punishment in game, but the current implementation is totally broken and overboard.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well that didn't quite work like I'd hoped.

If you want traffic jams, you have to create them.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What's the criteria for needing to pull into a weigh station? I had one load (of cars?) that let me drive straight past.

Roflex posted:

Well that didn't quite work like I'd hoped.

If you want traffic jams, you have to create them.

I like how the truck gets more and more damage as you scroll down.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ManicJason posted:

You can disable cops entirely with one line in the cfg. The point is that I like having some kind of fines/punishment in game, but the current implementation is totally broken and overboard.

How? I can't seem to find any setting that seem to correspond to this in the config.cfg file.
I got double ticketed for passing a red light, $1,400 instead of $700, must have got ticketed by a nearby police and the omnipotent gangster computer god at the same time or something.
Edit: Found it, looked in the wrong config.cfg file.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
There's a charming little motel outside Bakersfield on Route 58. The manager's a little weird, though. Really into taxidermy and keeps arguing with his mom.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Largepotato posted:

What's the criteria for needing to pull into a weigh station? I had one load (of cars?) that let me drive straight past.

I like how the truck gets more and more damage as you scroll down.

I was repeatedly disconnecting/reconnecting the trailer in hopes of getting out of it. Every time I did that the whole thing would jump 5 feet vertically in the air (as in the 4th screenshot). This caused a lot of damage.

e: Not pictured: After taking a detour to rest and refuel, I ended up delivering it with 8 minutes to spare.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Whoops

Another time I veered off the left of a cloverleaf loop and got stuck with no traction and ended up having to F7 it.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 4, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TjyvTompa posted:

How? I can't seem to find any setting that seem to correspond to this in the config.cfg file.
I got double ticketed for passing a red light, $1,400 instead of $700, must have got ticketed by a nearby police and the omnipotent gangster computer god at the same time or something.
Edit: Found it, looked in the wrong config.cfg file.

You can set a bunch of stuff in the config file directly, but it's often easier and more handy to just enable the console and change settings during play instead — (usually) no need to quit and reload all the time.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

ManicJason posted:

There are already a couple of mods that relax the police a bit. It does not look like there's any way for modders to extend a 5-10 MPH leeway, but you can adjust the probability and "check_delay" of each offense type. I'm hoping that increasing the police car speed check delay from its default of two seconds to something longer will make those sudden drops in speed less painful.

Here is the full police config file that is moddable.

edit: I also discovered that you can adjust the point at which the turn signal resets. It's always bugged me how close to center the steering wheel has to go before canceling the turn signal.

edit2: It's also very easy to reduce the police frequency. I'm definitely turning that waaaaay down.

THANK YOU. I was really "regretting" my purchase because I was really enjoying the game but gently caress off for ticketing me $700 for 1 over the limit. I don't mind having cops around often but yeah the omnipotent traffic light god is awful.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Maybe I skipped through where this was explained, but you can definitely turn right on red lights, so long as you're indicating and have stopped before you make your turn. The AI drivers do it too.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
You don't need to stop.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If the cops would actually be something that wait around buildings and bends and poo poo, it'd be fun to avoid speeding in the view of a police cruiser. Even pulling over and such. But hand-of-God? Eh...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Confirming that you can completely ignore the truck speed limit in California, and only worry about the car speed limit.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

This game owns

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Came to t-junction this evening behind a mustang and was waiting to turn left. THE TRAFFIC WAS NEVER ENDING! I eventually had to back up (hitting a car and incurring a hefty fine) before going around the mustang and slowly attempting to make traffic stop so I could go. It worked for the first lane and the second lane was clear so I started going. The third and fourth saw what was up and let me but JUST as I'm about to clear the oncoming lanes some busted old rear end convertible SLAMS into the trailer (of explosives) doing about 18% damage to it.

I can't wait for Arizona.

I t-boned a cop car on the junction outside Tonopah (30% damage $1800 fine), the traffic there at 9am is a goddamn obscenity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

gullah jack posted:

This game owns
He's a little far from home :ohdear:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

How easy is it to import a mod from ETS2 onto ATS? There's a mod I like that reduces the HUD mirrors size and want that on ATS.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Man, my empire was so profitable in ETS2 that I could just drive at full speed everywhere and not give a poo poo how many tickets I got. ATS has been something of a rude awakening, especially when I finish a job and realize that over half the profit went to pay the fines I incurred on the way there.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

halokiller posted:

How easy is it to import a mod from ETS2 onto ATS? There's a mod I like that reduces the HUD mirrors size and want that on ATS.

Everything I've read suggests it is relatively easy

And speaking of converted mods, Swedish Horsepower is back

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=200469

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=200391

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 4, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So for those of you who have been digging around in the guts of the game, have you guys found anything that dictates how many cars a train will be hauling? I as because it is really awesome pacing a train while flying down the highway, but it feels off when it only has 5 cars behind it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Someone else asked and went unanswered: Do I need to worry about weigh stations after buying my own truck or are they always optional immersion things? I haven't used one yet and I haven't gotten in trouble for it either, but I still don't own my own truck yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Someone else asked and went unanswered: Do I need to worry about weigh stations after buying my own truck or are they always optional immersion things? I haven't used one yet and I haven't gotten in trouble for it either, but I still don't own my own truck yet.

Clearly they don't work right because every truck regardless of owner is weighed on the road.