Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coupedeville posted:

its better than it was before but i still have bad internets :smithicide:

Nice dial-up, scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Punching is faster than golf but both are painfully slow :smith:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Cause everyone asked:

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Gonna need more pictures before I can properly determine if that is, as suspected, a cool bird.

:parrot:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
So I just got kicked from a heist because I didn't know what "heist armor" is. Is this some specific armor that's new, or just some kids being idiots? (They were calling me a noob when I had a higher level than anyone in the lobby lol)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

GOD IS BED posted:

So I just got kicked from a heist because I didn't know what "heist armor" is. Is this some specific armor that's new, or just some kids being idiots? (They were calling me a noob when I had a higher level than anyone in the lobby lol)

They are pretty much just morons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Heist armor is an actual thing though. Go to a store, go to the desk and pick Outfits, then look at Heist Heavy Armor or Heist Combat Armor or whatever the poo poo it's called and buy one of the outfits.

during heists it doesn't let you sprint but it gives you a big pile of DR. It is not "required" but it is pretty drat nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does it actually say anywhere in game that it does those things? I never noticed.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Ciaphas posted:

Does it actually say anywhere in game that it does those things? I never noticed.

umm no I don't think it does lmao

the trick is to go talk to the store clerk to buy an outfit, then under the section 'heist - heavy combat' you purchase one of the armor outfits then save it to one of your custom outfit slots.

then when you run a heist you can change the heist outfit selection to 'player saved outfits' and you'll be able to pick the heavy armor outfit which provides additional damage resistance during heist setups and finales

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lmao indeed. Unexplained stuff like that in games is a pet peeve of mine nowadays. Didn't think training Strength (I totally forgot avatar RPG-like stats were a thing) would give DR, either. I'm learning things today!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

There's probably a tooltip that pops up the first time you launch the game after the heists update for 2 seconds before the popup about pressing X to duck in cars and after the 2 phone calls

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Psion posted:

Heist armor is an actual thing though. Go to a store, go to the desk and pick Outfits, then look at Heist Heavy Armor or Heist Combat Armor or whatever the poo poo it's called and buy one of the outfits.

during heists it doesn't let you sprint but it gives you a big pile of DR. It is not "required" but it is pretty drat nice.

And here I thought people kept wearing it because they were dumb nerds who loved looking "badass" in the goofy black marshmallow suits.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Angry Walrus posted:

And here I thought people kept wearing it because they were dumb nerds who loved looking "badass" in the goofy black marshmallow suits.

Who's the dumb nerd now?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Lmao indeed. Unexplained stuff like that in games is a pet peeve of mine nowadays. Didn't think training Strength (I totally forgot avatar RPG-like stats were a thing) would give DR, either. I'm learning things today!

Training Strength also makes you go up ladders faster. Because reasons.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

just a hunch but the reason is probably that being athletic helps you move. not entirely sure but i have a strong feeling this may be the case

strong bird
May 12, 2009

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the Driving skill has an influence on controlling ground vehicles, and the Flying skill on controlling air vehicles.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BitBasher posted:

I can kick some random people I don't recognize....

[EDIT]Like maybe:
xjohnson21
xmnn11
VeggieSmuggler
von_nass

They don't even have social club avatars.

Demote this guy :evilbuddy:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the standard heist cut for pubbies? I feel my skills are worth more than 15%.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's the standard heist cut for pubbies? I feel my skills are worth more than 15%.

Pubbies usually leave it at the default 15%. A lot of us split it 40/20/20/20. Since muscle is going to make about $100k from setup missions it more-or-less evens out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aight what's the best first apartment for heisting.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Psion posted:

I used it once and thought it was total poo poo. It lets you take marginally more damage in exchange for making you slow as gently caress. It's like a crutch for the really horribly players that have problems surviving otherwise because they are too stupid to just stay in cover and eat a snack or not pop out of cover if they have less than half life.

Ciaphas posted:

I still think strength giving damage resistance is a myth. You gain life as you level up from 1 to 100 which is effectively DR, but all I can see strength do it increase your melee damage and make you climb ladders faster. I can take a friend who is also over level 100 with half a strength bar and shoot them with a heavy sniper and they have the same sliver of health remaining that I do when shot with the same gun and a full strength bar. Zero difference.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

del perro heights is the cheapest high end apartment for heisting

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like Integrity Way. It's on the East Side of town next to a couple highways and really cuts down on travel time, and right next to a subway entrance that's good for losing a wanted level in. Also usually a lot fewer players in the immediate area so if there is a modder about you're a lot less likely to get hosed with.

Stiroc
Apr 24, 2010
One thing that higher strength definitely helps with is fall damage, if you are the money carrier in the bank heist and do the shortcut in the alley you will take fall damage and lose cash if you don't have ~2 bars of strength.
That said doing this weird Chinese custom mission is the best way to grind strength: http://rsg.ms/7012266 (bookmark it)
It is.. special

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think there's one near Vespucci/Pacific Bluffs just before the road turns onto the highway that is the 'only' apartment that lets you ace the Fleeca heist, though I could be wrong. I do know the new mansions are pretty bad for it due to the roads up in the hills.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Conker is the single best apartment for heisting from. It's the closest to everything and the hills are actually interesting to drive through. "due to the roads in the hills" lol me a break

GOD IS BED posted:

They were calling me a noob when I had a higher level than anyone in the lobby lol

Your level means poo poo and gently caress all in this game and they were correct.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Your level means poo poo and gently caress all in this game

b-b-but zigmidge....

:(

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

coupedeville posted:

b-b-but zigmidge....

Muhahahah

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

BitBasher posted:

I used it once and thought it was total poo poo. It lets you take marginally more damage in exchange for making you slow as gently caress. It's like a crutch for the really horribly players that have problems surviving otherwise because they are too stupid to just stay in cover and eat a snack or not pop out of cover if they have less than half life.

yeah okay grandpa I get it, someone put some heist armor on your lawn once

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

coupedeville posted:

b-b-but zigmidge....

*hugs closely* It's ok, rest your head on my shoulder. We'll get to 500 together. Together.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

BitBasher posted:

actually you can counter the reduction in speed by driving a vehicle, vehicles were added to grand theft auto five in a recent update. to drive a vehicle approach it and press the enter vehicle button. hth

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

BTW doing a deathmatch set to fists only is stupid and hilarious. I think we should do that instead of "Psion's minigun MVP, Psion worst player, gently caress him, he sucks" if we're going to do DMs at all

I would also accept something like golf clubs only, nightsticks only, that kinda thing. Not knives though, it's funnier with blunt impact weapons.

Zigmidge posted:

*hugs closely* It's ok, rest your head on my shoulder. We'll get to 500 together. Together.

more like coupe will get to 500 and dump you for his true love, the Dukes

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Psion posted:

more like coupe will get to 500 and dump you for his true love, the Dukes

My love for the dukes is explosive, like the space shuttle challenger :v:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

actually you can counter the reduction in speed by driving a vehicle, vehicles were added to grand theft auto five in a recent update. to drive a vehicle approach it and press the enter vehicle button. hth

LOLWUT, the armour is mainly used for the Pac Standard finale where you are forced to spend a decent amount of time on foot.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

lmao

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

coupedeville posted:

My love for the dukes is explosive, like the space shuttle challenger :v:

You blew mine up in under 73 seconds, not 73 seconds. I know because I didn't have enough time to get in it and park it on top of you.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

You blew mine up in under 73 seconds, not 73 seconds. I know because I didn't have enough time to get in it and park it on top of you.

hehehehehe :classiclol:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

if you want 20 percent and theyre being too greedy to bump it up just wait til they start the heist and then quit

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think it's nice that so many people can have their own way to play this game and its many adventures

with which to lord over others as the one true truth of truths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I remember doing the math for pac and 40/20/20/20 is the closest possible cut if you want it to be even for everyone accounting for heist setup cost and the money the crew gets for each setup. This assumes hard difficulty because of course it does.

I think it's basically the same for every other heist, but :effort:

e: 25/25/25/25 is for when you make someone suffer through Series A because you need that achievement

• Locked thread