Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Uthor posted:

What are you trying to do? I can share my current location through both Google Messenger and Google Hangouts. I can also share whatever location from the share menu within Google Maps.

I just want a map that has icons for where people are, with the option to toggle sharing on/off instead of a one-off thing like sending coordinates. Ideally built in to Google because it used to be a feature and wouldn't require that many extra resources. Facebook does this but only through the app and won't work if you're using the mobile site like I am. It's not a big deal because I'll hardly ever need the feature, I was just curious if there's a way to get Latitude functionality within Maps again.

The only practical reason I can think of for it would be to be able to find friends when we're all lost wandering around Vegas or go to other large spread out events like pub crawls together. Checking a map and heading that way is a lot easier than texting updates or getting drunken directions over the phone in a loud environment.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ah, okay. Sounds like iOS's Find My Friends, then. I hadn't actually used Latitude, so I wasn't aware that it could do that.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

It used to be built in to Maps, where you could just flip the Latitude thing on and select people would see your location on their map. I suppose the Facebook app is the best option because it's cross-platform and nearly everyone has it, I'm mostly just upset that it's another feature that Google appears to have switched around and abandoned altogether.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Teeter posted:

It used to be built in to Maps, where you could just flip the Latitude thing on and select people would see your location on their map. I suppose the Facebook app is the best option because it's cross-platform and nearly everyone has it, I'm mostly just upset that it's another feature that Google appears to have switched around and abandoned altogether.

Google has been doing that for over a decade. And I can't really fault them for this specific change. Friend location is a very social thing. Why did they have a social thing in a utility app to begin with?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah I know. Oh well, not a big deal. Only asking because roughly 100% of people use Maps and nearly the opposite use G+. It's such an infrequent use case that going with the Facebook app or another alternative is no big deal when it comes down to it.

Unrelated: best pedometer app? My work is beginning a fitness challenge thing with a lot of prizes awarded for logging activity. I'd like to track steps without killing my battery too hard if possible.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2016

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Teeter posted:

Unrelated: best pedometer app? My work is beginning a fitness challenge thing with a lot of prizes awarded for logging activity. I'd like to track steps without killing my battery too hard if possible.

Google Fit but I've not used it as a pedometer alone

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gyre posted:

Can anyone recommend me a budgeting app that lets you overflow unspent money in a budget to the next month? Like if my initial budget is $150 a month and I don't spend $50 of it, the next month's budget will show I have $200 to spend. I find this much more intuitive for leisure spending.

A couple pages back but mint.com

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

AnimalChin posted:

A couple pages back but mint.com

Gonna second mint

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I second YNAB, Mint seemed too hands off for me. I think the budgeting thread in BFC breaks the differences down well.

Is there a preferred Gameboy/GBA emulator? Paid is fine.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Deeters posted:

I second YNAB, Mint seemed too hands off for me. I think the budgeting thread in BFC breaks the differences down well.

Never used YNAB, but I'm interested. Does it do account integration? That's my main draw for mint.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stop the presses people!!!!! Listed for the latest update for Google music! I'd like to think the daily feedback I've been giving over the issue prompted them to action (yeah, yeah, I know better.)

quote:

After listening to Code Your Face Off radio (https://goo.gl/VHnzN0), our engineers fixed a bunch of bugs including one related to resuming songs over Bluetooth

Hopefully it fixes it once and for all.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
YNAB just rolled out their new version/philosophy which I believe does not let you roll over overspent categories into the new month. At least I'm pretty sure this is the case as I'm still using the older version. The new version does allow you to input usernames and passwords so transactions can be automatically inputted.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Heners_UK posted:

Google Fit but I've not used it as a pedometer alone

I've had the opposite experience, Fit burns a crapload of my battery and causes system-wide lag. After I removed it via open gapps, my battery life has more than doubled and my phone is actually usable.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whenever that question comes up the general consensus is don't bother cos all phone pedometers are poo poo

I don't know if that has changed with the current crop of phones but I'd guess not

You're better off getting a proper one

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Stop the presses people!!!!! Listed for the latest update for Google music! I'd like to think the daily feedback I've been giving over the issue prompted them to action (yeah, yeah, I know better.)

Hopefully it fixes it once and for all.

Haha, I saw that earlier and thought of the people in this thread.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Whenever that question comes up the general consensus is don't bother cos all phone pedometers are poo poo
It's this. I wrote a pedometer proof-of-concept once and the sensor data is just worthless. Android Wear does a better job, or just get a Fitbit or whatever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

It's this. I wrote a pedometer proof-of-concept once and the sensor data is just worthless. Android Wear does a better job, or just get a Fitbit or whatever.

Have you tried it with your new phone? It was on an n5 you did it before wasn't it?

Curious more than anything else

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deeters posted:

Robert Broglia's emulators are the gold standard for older systems.

The SNES one is free (due to licencing issues with snes9x) if you want to try out his UI first.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Have you tried it with your new phone? It was on an n5 you did it before wasn't it?

Curious more than anything else
I've not run it on my 6P but I can't imagine it's any better. Source is here if anyone wants to try it.

(Also wow two-years ago me was bad at gradle.)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

bull3964 posted:

After listening to Code Your Face Off radio (https://goo.gl/VHnzN0), our engineers fixed a bunch of bugs including one related to resuming songs over Bluetooth

I have to be an all access subscriber to listen to that?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nexus6 posted:

I have to be an all access subscriber to listen to that?

Its a playlist/radio station on google play music, of course you do

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the real question is, why are you NOT a Play Music subscriber? All you can eat music and zero YouTube ads? A bargain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I think the real question is, why are you NOT a Play Music subscriber? All you can eat music and zero YouTube ads? A bargain.

I paid a penny for three months back in December. The YouTube Red stuff is super useful and I love it. I have used Google Play Music I think once to play an album I don't own. I'm mostly annoyed that it makes it harder to search my personal albums by mixing in streaming results.

Probably won't be continuing the subscription.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

YouTube Red made it 1000% worth it. I used it plenty for my commute before, but now it's even better.

My kids watch a metric fuckton of YouTube and always want to do it on the XBox, because of the big TV. Now that Red is included, I don't have to deal with a pre-roll ad every time they change to a new video (I know it's not EVERY time, but it's enough to be annoying as gently caress).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

I paid a penny for three months back in December. The YouTube Red stuff is super useful and I love it. I have used Google Play Music I think once to play an album I don't own. I'm mostly annoyed that it makes it harder to search my personal albums by mixing in streaming results.

Probably won't be continuing the subscription.

I find the radio stations are the best thing about it, either the preset ones already on there, or when I point it at a band and tell it to play stuff like it

I really can't wait till Red makes it over to the uk though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Trip report, the Play Music update did nothing to solve the auto-launching of the app with a new queue for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I find the radio stations are the best thing about it, either the preset ones already on there, or when I point it at a band and tell it to play stuff like it

I'm an album listener, so listening to random tracks in a radio style doesn't do much for me. It seems like a good idea to hear new stuff, but the ratio of new things I like to old things I already own and new things I dislike is way too low to be worth my time.

I'm just too set in my ways to switch over to streaming. Kids these days. Get off my lawn.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Putting my family on a Music/Red plan was easily the most successful Christmas gift I gave out this year. Kid watches a ton of YouTube, fiance listens to a ton of music at school and at the odd times a fire up a YouTube link it's super nice to never have to see an ad.

Beyond worth it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

I'm an album listener, so listening to random tracks in a radio style doesn't do much for me.

I was exactly the same till I got a trial subscription (I am old). You should try it, you might be surprised.

It's great with a huge existing collection as you'll hear stuff you haven't listened to in ages pop up

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Am I the only person on the planet who has never seen an ad on YouTube ever?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any recommendations for apps that will read texts while you're driving, but that doesn't get thrown off by a few texts in quick succession? Moto's Voice Assist is pretty good if you don't get any message while it's dealing with the first, but my wife tends to send batches of a few texts in a minute, and it really confuses Voice Assist.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

LastInLine posted:

Yep, congrats!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

I'm ... pretty sure uncontacted peoples haven't seen YouTube ads?

Still, those sound like some interesting YouTube habits.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

I have never seen YouTube ads either until a year or so ago when I got my first Chromecast. Jesus those ads are annoying. And there is no YouTube red in Germany yet.
I have tested the play music all access trial twice now but although it's pretty cool I can't bring myself to pay 10€ a month. Getting rid of YouTube ads would push me over for sure though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's not even the lack of ads that I like, but the ability to have the video playing in the background whole you do other stuff on your phone. So convenient!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

I never see them in my browser because uBlock+noscript pretty effectively blocks all the cdns they get served from, but they're unavoidable in the android app. Judging from the surveys I've been getting recently I'm pretty demographically valuable to them, so I end up with ads before nearly every video I watch on my phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So is the Android Pay Tap 10 promotion just some sort of weird beta thing? We heard about it at least a week ago, but I at least haven't seen anything in my app about it. They're running out of time to give me my free poo poo :argh:!

evilemu
Sep 26, 2005

Slywalker13 posted:

YNAB just rolled out their new version/philosophy which I believe does not let you roll over overspent categories into the new month. At least I'm pretty sure this is the case as I'm still using the older version. The new version does allow you to input usernames and passwords so transactions can be automatically inputted.

This is completely wrong about no longer being able to roll over. I never used the old version but the new app allows you to over/underspend in one category and have it roll over into the next month. Or you can just assign excess from another budget to cover it as well. It really gives you much more flexibility and control than mint.com. It does have a learning curve, however it has a great guide and videos to go along with it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Rooted phones can have background playback and no adverts, granted I stopped using background playback, because it can be a fuzz glitchy nowadays and I messed up not grandfathering in my unlimited data plan by 5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Of course with Red the content creators get paid, unlike with AdAway. And it's a fairly trivial cost for the benefits. If it's available for your country. And there's (a tiny bit of) Red exclusive content, which is likely to become more and more of a thing unless they face intense backlash which is unlikely. At least if they expand the markets it's available in sooner rather than later.