Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

"Sir, there's a Mr. Stimpire here to see you... he doesn't have an appointment."

"DO NOT LET HIM IN."

50 Shades of Stimpire

Definitely not the same ballpark but they get off at the same exit from Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Well me, for one. But I'm not going to say too much on here when we know its being monitored

Imagine the worst pain imaginable doubling every second.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
If someone is able to adjust their voice so it sounds like they are sitting und a huge butt plug, they should do a reading of the Stimpire. Otherwise it just wouldn't sound right.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah they're kind of more about mp's but the scandal of this might get them to look, If I was to email them and point them in a direction where would be a good start?

Derek's blog, the post breaking down the funding per day as nearly impossible through basic math, the fact that neopotism is clearly heavily ibnvolved and the articles showing Erin's involvement with laundering in the last few years. Then sprinkle in a little of his star-fucker-esque hiring process for a videogame supposedly funded by backers.

Also, the laundering angle also does explain why they care so little for what the backers are saying because thats not the real ox pulling the wagon we once thought it to be

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baller Time posted:

If someone is able to adjust their voice so it sounds like they are sitting und a huge butt plug, they should do a reading of the Stimpire. Otherwise it just wouldn't sound right.

Get Charles Dance to do it. His rendition of 50 Shades of Grey in the Big Fat Quiz of the Year was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3POYx6IeeI

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Imagine the worst pain imaginable doubling every second.

being sat on by ben?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

You can watch them down at your favorite local pub while you enjoy a nice bisque made out of your former friends and relatives!

Even if Star Citizen will never be made into a game, at least we'll always have the fourth stimpire that came out of the project!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

Seems to be okay in the US, however other countries have much stronger consumer laws. I'm confused about why they were going to challenge that one dude's small claims action in the UK, they have not got a leg to stand on.

I was looking into small claims for a different thing a while ago. He kind of half assed it I think so they probably think they can bluff him into not bothering. You're supposed to write to the company first saying "gently caress you pay me in 30 days or c u in the space court commados o8". It's not required but if you don't show you made every effort to negotiate first before bringing it to court you might not get awarded your costs on top of any refund. It's not particularly expensive to bring a case to court but when you're talking about sub whale sums it would definitely eat into any payout. OTOH he did already try to negotiate a refund with them so it's not like he went to court as the first option. I've only researched it as a layman so I don't know how these things shake out.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
One wonders how the 5th stimpire will look like.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

One wonders how the 5th stimpire will look like.

I think they're all pretty normal apart from this one

there are ten of them going at the same time

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

smellmycheese posted:

Well me, for one. But I'm not going to say too much on here when we know its being monitored

calling bullshit first

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

Even if Star Citizen will never be made into a game, at least we'll always have the fourth stimpire that came out of the project!

It's like four testicles on the edge of a chopping block.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

darkarchon posted:

So after everything I wanted to share my StarCitizen story. Or timeline. Or whatever, this will be a low effort post really.

---
(:words: detailing a journey from skepticism to gullibility and back again...)

Substantial part of the game, my rear end.
How have your coworkers responded-- both to your defection from the ranks and to the floundering of the project? Are you alone in your skepticism, as you were before you briefly lost your mind? Or have some followed you? How far gone are they? And how closely are they paying attention to the state of the game? Just curious for a random sampling-- even if anecdotally...

quote:

January '16. Discovered SA by accident. Started following this mess. Am now here. gently caress this poo poo.
Go Platinum!

quote:

So, long story short, didn't believe in the project at the start, got weak at some point, stopped being weak and started being pissed. End of story. :argh:
The journey isn't over. Save your friends if you can!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

G0RF posted:

Are we now the anticult?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

darkarchon posted:

StarCitizen - the backers won't know

If that's a low effort post I'd love to see your effort posting. Welcome goon friend.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Ledenko posted:

Are we now the anticult?

wouldn't be the first time

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

darkarchon posted:

January '16. Discovered SA by accident. Started following this mess. Am now here. gently caress this poo poo.

Now you can play Star Citizen the way it's meant to be played

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Ledenko posted:

Are we now the anticult?

We're the hecklers in the opera box, wasting our time laughing at people wasting their time and money.

Worth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In his latest statement Chris Roberts has announced that the game is going to be restyled as a mobile F2P sci-fi idle city builder called Star City Zen scheduled to be released in 2018. The promise of new exciting features has attracted over $300,000 worth of pledges in mere three hours.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

G0RF posted:

How have your coworkers responded-- both to your defection from the ranks and to the floundering of the project? Are you alone in your skepticism, as you were before you briefly lost your mind? Or have some followed you? How far gone are they? And how closely are they paying attention to the state of the game? Just curious for a random sampling-- even if anecdotally...

My co-workers are like "Well what's your problem man? It's a win-win situation for you. Either the game gets made and you profit from that or the game crashes and burns and you can stand there and tell 'I told you so!'". One colleague was converted to playing Elite:Dangerous, which he considers, right now, the vastly superior product to SC. Especially since it's a game and he can actually play it. He's still a backer of SC, although he starts to get skeptic to the project and Cobblers' decisions as well. Please note that I live in Germany and German SC fanboys are the biggest SC fanboys. Anyhow, the other colleague stopped following the game intensely, just random scraps here or there.

I can't really say I have converted anyone really, but I sew some healthy skepticism into their ranks.

G0RF posted:

Go Platinum!

No. Gibe platinum. :smuggo:

G0RF posted:

It'll be over for me when I get my refund :argh:

But not this thread. This will always stay in my heart.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ledenko posted:

Are we now the anticult?
Friends don't let friends get chumpatized.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ledenko posted:

Are we now the anticult?

We're the resistance.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know it's fun to josh around and engage in some light japery but all joking aside I don't think the fourth stimpire would be a very efficient form of governing for a space empire.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Polish Avenger posted:

We're the hecklers in the opera box, wasting our time laughing at people wasting their time and money.

Worth.

So who's Statler and who's Waldorf?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah they're kind of more about mp's but the scandal of this might get them to look, If I was to email them and point them in a direction where would be a good start?

Start with the world record for crowdfunding (as a result of selling very expensive ships that haven't been coded for a game that isn't complete) then point them at missed release dates, refused refunds, scope increase then feature cutting, followed by beers e-mails. The escapist story and CR's response are also relevant. I'd send something in bite-sized bullet points with links as this whole soap opera is a right mess.

You could recommend RSI forum and reddit as places to ask questions of dev's and backers guaranteeing that any reporter will experience the bad end of mob rule by group-thinking cultists and biased mods firsthand.

I've had a subscription to private eye for years but I've never seen a gaming or even a very technical story, they are all over missed deadlines and cost over-runs for defense contracts but to be brutal a PC game isn't in the same league as a broken aircraft carrier.

Someone wrote a nifty overview in chronological order (Gorf I think) that might do on it's own.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
In tangentially related news, prestigious developer Peter Molyneux is back in the news after breaking his self imposed press ban in order to announce his new early access game - GODUS WARS!

No, he never finished Godus. But now he's out of money you see, so he cut 1/2 the features out of Godus and repackaged it for early access cash grab.

Molyneux has always been a pie in the sky idiot dreamer, but I never thought he was slimey. This is some Crobbers level poo poo.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

In his latest statement Chris Roberts has announced that the game is going to be restyled as a mobile F2P sci-fi idle city builder called Star City Zen scheduled to be released in 2018. The promise of new exciting features has attracted over $300,000 worth of pledges in mere three hours.

Minecraft module confirmed, players will collaboratively create the cities and landing sites in the 'Verse.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

darkarchon posted:

My co-workers are like "Well what's your problem man? It's a win-win situation for you. Either the game gets made and you profit from that or the game crashes and burns and you can stand there and tell 'I told you so!'". One colleague was converted to playing Elite:Dangerous, which he considers, right now, the vastly superior product to SC. Especially since it's a game and he can actually play it. He's still a backer of SC, although he starts to get skeptic to the project and Cobblers' decisions as well. Please note that I live in Germany and German SC fanboys are the biggest SC fanboys. Anyhow, the other colleague stopped following the game intensely, just random scraps here or there.

Show up at work with a BC3000AD t-shirt.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Derek's blog, the post breaking down the funding per day as nearly impossible through basic math, the fact that neopotism is clearly heavily ibnvolved and the articles showing Erin's involvement with laundering in the last few years. Then sprinkle in a little of his star-fucker-esque hiring process for a videogame supposedly funded by backers.

Also, the laundering angle also does explain why they care so little for what the backers are saying because thats not the real ox pulling the wagon we once thought it to be

Ok I've sent an email asking if it's something they'd report in, now we just have to wait for a reply.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It really is an amazing thing. I'm been tempted to post it in GBS without comment.

Same but D&D

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DOMDOM posted:

In tangentially related news, prestigious developer Peter Molyneux is back in the news after breaking his self imposed press ban in order to announce his new early access game - GODUS WARS!

No, he never finished Godus. But now he's out of money you see, so he cut 1/2 the features out of Godus and repackaged it for early access cash grab.

Molyneux has always been a pie in the sky idiot dreamer, but I never thought he was slimey. This is some Crobbers level poo poo.

Was he not very heavily involved in fable 2 or something? That game loving ruled but everything before (since 2000 or so) and after has been super dissapointing.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah he's the fable guy. And he had a good run in the 90s.

He's notorious though for over-promising features, particularly when talking to fans/press, and then failing to deliver. Much like a certain somebody we all know.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It really is an amazing thing. I'm been tempted to post it in GBS without comment.

Someone needs to give the author an account with a promise of no trolling just so we can ask him questions about the stimpire like it's an ask/tell thread. I need to know everything about the fourth stimpire

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DOMDOM posted:

I never pay attention to poo poo on kickstarter but after looking at a couple of videos I must ask "how do you gently caress Populous 3D"?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Rhubarb94 posted:

Start with the world record for crowdfunding (as a result of selling very expensive ships that haven't been coded for a game that isn't complete) then point them at missed release dates, refused refunds, scope increase then feature cutting, followed by beers e-mails. The escapist story and CR's response are also relevant. I'd send something in bite-sized bullet points with links as this whole soap opera is a right mess.

You could recommend RSI forum and reddit as places to ask questions of dev's and backers guaranteeing that any reporter will experience the bad end of mob rule by group-thinking cultists and biased mods firsthand.

I've had a subscription to private eye for years but I've never seen a gaming or even a very technical story, they are all over missed deadlines and cost over-runs for defense contracts but to be brutal a PC game isn't in the same league as a broken aircraft carrier.

Someone wrote a nifty overview in chronological order (Gorf I think) that might do on it's own.

Ok, if it is something that they'll report on i'll try and get any links and articles into a readable state, but I've not done this so i'll probably be asking for help haha.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Polish Avenger posted:

Worth.

Just look at our entry in Encyclopædia Stimperica:

Goon
noun \ˈgün\

1. One who disbelieves in the great work

2. A person who hangs out at SomethingAwful.com

3. (Slang) A horrible trashperson who hates good things

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

I never pay attention to poo poo on kickstarter but after looking at a couple of videos I must ask "how do you gently caress Populous 3D"?
by trying to develop 1 game that would run on both PC and mobile

I think Crobbers and Molyneux have a lot in common. Legends from the 90s, but now dinosaurs in the world of tech & dev dangerously out of touch with what's actually possible. They are dreamers who did best when there were others to reign them in and keep them grounded in reality. Give them complete control and, well, here we are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ledenko posted:

Well, my foray into the world of star citizen is over. My notes on this mediocricity of nothing actually there:

Sounds like you had a better experience than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
What happened to that race horse named "Star Citizen" -- did we ever get an update?

• Locked thread