Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I was seriously considering getting a 2017 in Guard to go with my '67.
Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

frozenphil posted:

I was seriously considering getting a 2017 in Guard to go with my '67.
Welp
So order a '16 on the last day its available?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I think he wants the 17 because it's 50 years after his 67.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Starkk posted:

I think he wants the 17 because it's 50 years after his 67.
Ah. Right.

Welp. Pick a different color I guess. :(

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe
Had they offered Grabber in 2015 it may have kept me from driving around in an obnoxiously bright yellow Mustang. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What is this cruel world where grabber and DIB can't live side by side.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone have experience replacing a head unit on a 2001 with MACH 460 sound? I have a head unit and all the trimmings from Crutchfield, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the amp wiring and the more I read about this the more I think I just want to eat return shipping and live with AM/FM radio.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did they give you the special amp harness too, along with the regular radio harness?

edit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120AFDI5V/Axxess-AFDI-5V.html?tp=2977 - Amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705521/Metra-70-5521-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977 - Radio

Crutchfield tossed me both of those for free.

As far as what exactly I did with the wires I really don't remember, as it was 3 years ago. Sorry.

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 4, 2016

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Cage, I never knew those things existed.

when I got my car new in 01, I never turned on the stock radio. A few months later I had the new radio installed. The guy who installed it told me it sounded terrible. I thought he was being a punk because I bought a cheap head unit.
I always thought it sounded fine.

A few years later, After I got married, my wife got in the car and she told me it sounded awful. I went to another shop and they said it sounded terrible too. So I ripped out the mach 460 and installed all custom parts to replace it.
it was night and day difference in terms of audio quality. I can only liken it to when someone tries glasses for the 1st time and they realize that their eyes have been terrible and they never noticed.

your radio may work but the audio may be out of phase so you get a little sound distortion. I dont know about the wires cage is talking about. If that fixes the problem great! if not you can replace every audio component in your car for under a grand.
just replace the parts the suck a little bit at a time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I kinda liked the stock radio, the 6 cd changer worked well. I really just wanted bluetooth for my phone in case I get a call. 90% of the time I have the radio off and the windows down.

edit: You bought yours new 15 years ago? Thats awesome, it still looks fresh off the lot. How long you planning on keeping it?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The stock radio and Shaker system in the s550 is garbage also so I guess Ford is just keeping up with tradition.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I think the Shaker system in my 2016 sounds pretty good to my non-audiophile ears, which is probably what their goal is. Make something that sounds good enough to most people. People really into that poo poo won't ever be happy with stock.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Cage posted:

Did they give you the special amp harness too, along with the regular radio harness?

edit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120AFDI5V/Axxess-AFDI-5V.html?tp=2977 - Amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705521/Metra-70-5521-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977 - Radio

Crutchfield tossed me both of those for free.

As far as what exactly I did with the wires I really don't remember, as it was 3 years ago. Sorry.

Got both. From what I've read the head unit powers the tweeters only, the rest comes from the amps in the trunk. There are a whole bunch of things on the internet including an old article on Crutchfield saying you're best off just ripping the whole thing out. My new head unit has high and low cut off settings so I should be able to configure it fine. I'm probably getting worked up over nothing.

The stock six disc changer scratches discs and I didn't find anything loose inside it, looking forward to not using my new cd player and running everything from my phone.

edit: agree with having the stereo off and windows down 99% of the time. I've made a lot of winter road trips and FM radio is getting old.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 4, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Had the water pump on my 2012 replaced under warranty after it failed in literally the most convenient place possible, and after a week in a rented F-150, I gotta say it's good to be back in the saddle.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

The stock radio and Shaker system in the s550 is garbage also so I guess Ford is just keeping up with tradition.
Sounds fine to my ears, but again I'm not an audiophile.

They could do a good/better/best thing with audio, but the people who want the best are still going to rip it out and put in the components they prefer. And the rest won't care to spend $2k on audio.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 4, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah, the stock setup has really muddy mids and too much bass but they prob figure most people wont care and half the guys with GTs wont even use their radios in the first place.
When it gets warmer out Im going to finish replacing the speakers. I think the main offenders are the 3.5s in the doors and of course that was the last thing I left to get replaced.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

I kinda liked the stock radio, the 6 cd changer worked well. I really just wanted bluetooth for my phone in case I get a call. 90% of the time I have the radio off and the windows down.

edit: You bought yours new 15 years ago? Thats awesome, it still looks fresh off the lot. How long you planning on keeping it?

Forever!!!! hahahahahhah.... Actually i bought it in August of 2000.
Actually that reminds me of a story, last year some strangers came knocking on my door and asked if I would be interested in selling my "Abandoned" car that was sitting in my driveway.
I said no, but in hind sight, I wish I asked how much they would offer.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
People offering money for "abandoned" cars probably never make a fair offer. Keep that thing looking mint forever!

In other news, I have created what I call an "el mustango".

(Getting the spoiler taken off and filling holes/repainting)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It should be a mustanchero unless you wisely have swapped in a LS7.

I had a guy offer me $700 for my abandoned in my garage miata. He was all surprised when I told him to get lost.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

How crazy is the idea of getting a 08 and dropping in a coyote engine? I love the poo poo out of the 4 eye look, and it sounds like a coyote engine would be the way to go for keeping it 'pure mustang'

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Cage,
El Mustango, that is surprisingly cool idea. A Mustang pickup truck with 1' long beds. hahah

RFC2324
the engine swap is going to cost like 20 to 30k after all is said and done.
I want so see how much it will cost to get the new GT350 Crate engine with its flat plane crank. It will prolly cost like 20 grand just for the engine :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324 posted:

How crazy is the idea of getting a 08 and dropping in a coyote engine? I love the poo poo out of the 4 eye look, and it sounds like a coyote engine would be the way to go for keeping it 'pure mustang'

It would be best just to get a Mustang with the Coyote motor. They (the motors) are NOT cheap.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

RFC2324
the engine swap is going to cost like 20 to 30k after all is said and done.
I want so see how much it will cost to get the new GT350 Crate engine with its flat plane crank. It will prolly cost like 20 grand just for the engine :(
I dont need you to go into a lot of detail, but if the engine costs 7k new where does the rest of that 13k-23k go? Does it really cost that much to get everything hooked up to the engine?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

I dont need you to go into a lot of detail, but if the engine costs 7k new where does the rest of that 13k-23k go? Does it really cost that much to get everything hooked up to the engine?

Its a guesstimate. The top of the line current ford crate engines are about 15k (Ford Racing aluminator series). 3rd party made racing engines are that or more! You are paying for research & development and rights to be an owner of an extremely limited number of possibly hand built engines made of the best parts Ford has to offer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kalvick posted:

Its a guesstimate. The top of the line current ford crate engines are about 15k (Ford Racing aluminator series). 3rd party made racing engines are that or more! You are paying for research & development and rights to be an owner of an extremely limited number of possibly hand built engines made of the best parts Ford has to offer.

These statements aren't true of just a coyote engine tho...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

Yeah, but he was asking about the engine that I linked that costs 7k.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...p4xoaAouU8P8HAQ

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Cage posted:

A pullout low mileage coyote and MT-82 is 7-9k. Computer/harness is $1600. Driveshaft, mounts, exhaust random hammering, 1500-3000. Add more if you want the AC to work, and can't do your own welding and cutting.

Get started.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
New head unit is in and works except for not sounding good. The harness Crutchfield sent had an extra connector that plugs into I don't know what.

I'm going to fiddle with settings until FM radio sounds like I remember, then start messing with Bluetooth.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

PT6A posted:

Why would they kill Guard? It's beautiful.

So they could bring Dark Highland Green back in '18 with another Bullitt package would be my guess.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

jhcain posted:

A pullout low mileage coyote and MT-82 is 7-9k. Computer/harness is $1600. Driveshaft, mounts, exhaust random hammering, 1500-3000. Add more if you want the AC to work, and can't do your own welding and cutting.

Get started.

dont you need a kmember (600 to 700), new headers (up to a grand depending on what you get) ,
Also this isnt a job for just a basic garage mechanic? your gonna need tools too. if its something you cant do, add about 2 or 3 grand for labor.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

kalvick posted:

dont you need a kmember (600 to 700), new headers (up to a grand depending on what you get) ,
Also this isnt a job for just a basic garage mechanic? your gonna need tools too. if its something you cant do, add about 2 or 3 grand for labor.

The motor will bolt into an 08- take out the 4.6, bolt in coyote. There's no ps pump, so add one for power steering. It's really not that daunting, it's just kind of expensive LEGO blocks. If it's something you can't do, don't. But if you had a pre-coyote mustang with the 4.6, swapping in a coyote might make sense. And fun, too!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It is my fervent hope that once I'm in a place to potentially buy a Mustang it'll be available in Lava Red. That was the sickest paint color I've ever seen on a factory car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just sitting here not driving my car buying parts that I cant use because I dont have a trunk and thats where the license plate goes.

Aw yeah. I hate the stock leather shift knob. Been using some universal momo one which is cool but keeps getting loose on me. Now I won't forget where to shift next or what kind of car I drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jhcain posted:

The motor will bolt into an 08- take out the 4.6, bolt in coyote. There's no ps pump, so add one for power steering. It's really not that daunting, it's just kind of expensive LEGO blocks. If it's something you can't do, don't. But if you had a pre-coyote mustang with the 4.6, swapping in a coyote might make sense. And fun, too!

Is the new ECU swappable for the old one?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cage posted:

Just sitting here not driving my car buying parts that I cant use because I dont have a trunk and thats where the license plate goes.

Aw yeah. I hate the stock leather shift knob. Been using some universal momo one which is cool but keeps getting loose on me. Now I won't forget where to shift next or what kind of car I drive.

It's cool, I'm buying wheels I can't put on my car till it gets warm out. They are just going to sit in the garage and look at me with sad eyes for a month.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Is the new ECU swappable for the old one?

Oh, of course not. Variable cam timing, different sensors... You'll need the Ford Racing Coyote Control Pack to run it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Buhbuhj posted:

It's cool, I'm buying wheels I can't put on my car till it gets warm out. They are just going to sit in the garage and look at me with sad eyes for a month.
What did you get?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cage posted:

What did you get?

Avante Garde M580s in bronze. I'm getting them wrapped in super sports, 275 all around.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

Avante Garde M580s in bronze. I'm getting them wrapped in super sports, 275 all around.

Nice, love my Super Sports. My worries about having them for the Miami winter have been for nothing, they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:h: bronze wheels.

My stupid future plan is to paint the chrome parts on my bullitt wheels bronze.

Then this will be me:

Black. Gooold.

Virtually no options.