Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
And then there's this :allears:

I am excited about A LOT of queens this season. Kim Chi got some amazing looks and concepts (although I'm not sure how well she can do with the time limitations on the show), Robbie Turner completes the Seattle Trifecta, Acid Betty blows my mind, Naomi Smalls is Raven's honorary drag daughter, Dax! is Violet's drag mother, Bob is Bob... I could go on for a while :D

Come on Season 8! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I wonder what the new format will be like. I seriously can't wait! This group is super entertaining and full of promise!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Not Today Satan posted:

I wonder what the new format will be like. I seriously can't wait! This group is super entertaining and full of promise!

What's this about a new format?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Ignore me, I took an Instagram caption completely out of context. Looks like I mistook "new look" for "new format".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBGc4sdq2cS/?taken-by=rupaulsdragrace

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
I think I may be in love with Bob. It takes a lot to hold your own against Bianca Del Rio.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Illuen posted:

I think I may be in love with Bob. It takes a lot to hold your own against Bianca Del Rio.

Holy poo poo, she really does! I loved her interview, so NOW she's my front-runner. I just hope they don't pull a "we can't have TWO funny queens win the show" bullshit.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, she really does! I loved her interview, so NOW she's my front-runner. I just hope they don't pull a "we can't have TWO funny queens win the show" bullshit.

At least they had Violet in between the two winners so it went Funny Queen........uh, Queen(?)........then another Funny Queen after that!

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

At least they had Violet in between the two winners so it went Funny Queen........uh, Queen(?)........then another Funny Queen after that!

If they had no problem with crowning Violet when Tyra Sanchez cornered the market on bland boring pretty queens I don't know why they can't have two funny queens.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

uh oh guys I think Phi Phi might be a brony: http://www.newnownext.com/phi-phi-ohara-presents-flaw-free-drag-in-my-little-pony-looks/02/2016/

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Gross. I was starting to like her again, but eww.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

She actually didn't know what a Brony was till she saw the reactions to it on Reddit (at least according to her facebook). It's kind of a shame she chose this theme considering how the internet reacts to it. Her January looks were AMAZING.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

CHiRAL posted:

She actually didn't know what a Brony was till she saw the reactions to it on Reddit (at least according to her facebook). It's kind of a shame she chose this theme considering how the internet reacts to it. Her January looks were AMAZING.

Jesus Christ. You weren't kidding. Phi Phi has come a long loving way.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

If anyone is so inclined, even Michelle gets that season 7 was a wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4zaJ8lgGs&t=3385s

The conversation about the seasons is longish, but it's as close to a mea culpa as fans are getting. Also, Violet shade. And Lady Bunny is always a hoot God Bless That Mess. Michelle says season 8 will be off the chain. I choose to believe that is because of Bob.

CHiRAL posted:

Hot drat.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

This is so loving epic. Bob, please don't be one of tose drag queens that's awesome, but leaves episode 1 or 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L00sx82Nw8

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Just a heads up, Phiphi mentioned her next series of looks will be eeveelutions. I just hope she goes with inspiration instead of prosthetics this time...

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Shangela is on tonight's episode of the new-look X-Files, which has been a snooze so far but tonight was good. One Of The Funny Ones, predictably given Shangela.

spite house fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 6, 2016

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

CHiRAL posted:

Just a heads up, Phiphi mentioned her next series of looks will be eeveelutions. I just hope she goes with inspiration instead of prosthetics this time...

She did Daria today which was amazing.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Team Bob

So my husband bought me pre-show + after party tix for BOTS in Charlotte May 18th :swoon: any other queen city goons gonna be there?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

This is so loving epic. Bob, please don't be one of tose drag queens that's awesome, but leaves episode 1 or 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L00sx82Nw8

Yeah that's pretty amazing.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Bob is this season's ringer. It's going to be another season 6 repeat.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

Bob is this season's ringer. It's going to be another season 6 repeat.

Season 6 arguably had two ringers in Bianca and Courtney, with Courtney being the Villain Ringer and with Adore playing the unkempt underdog.

I would say they tried the same thing in Season 4 with Sharon and Chad, and maybe even Season 3 with Raja, but it's always hard to figure out what Reality TV magic is planned and what's sheer talent. (The answer is usually both.)

...were there any ringers or obvious plants in Season 7 (besides Pearl, maybe)? It's hard to tell, unfortunately.

EDIT: Also I am 100% fine with a repeat of Season 6 for the new season. High quality queens = high quality seasons, period.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
There's a handful of Queens that I am loving so far. Bob is definitely a front runner.

I like: Acid Betty, Bob, Dax Exclamationpoint, and Thorgy Thor. I hope some of the other queens surprise me, but from the Meet the Queens videos, they were boring.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I know Chad Michaels also does it with Cher, but I find something rather off-putting about Derrick Barry's Brittany schtick. With everyone else trying to cultivate their own personality it seems strange to just be dedicated to impersonating someone else. Then again maybe Derrick does more than that, but that was the main thrust of her 'Meet the Queens' presentation.

Also Dax strikes me as oddly passable without being excessively fishy. I feel like I know or have seen women who look and act and sound like her (and were actually women).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

graynull posted:

I know Chad Michaels also does it with Cher, but I find something rather off-putting about Derrick Barry's Brittany schtick. With everyone else trying to cultivate their own personality it seems strange to just be dedicated to impersonating someone else. Then again maybe Derrick does more than that, but that was the main thrust of her 'Meet the Queens' presentation.

Also Dax strikes me as oddly passable without being excessively fishy. I feel like I know or have seen women who look and act and sound like her (and were actually women).

It was always really obvious to me that Chad was so much more than Cher, but not sure for Derrick. Regardless Can Derrick Do More Than Britney!? is going to be his big plotline for an annoying amount of time. He's probably going to stick around to Snatch Game at the very least though for equally obvious reasons.

I really like Dax, so nerdy :3: Also rooting for Cyn-tia (who is adorable and has the business smarts to follow Katya's lead and start making her own weekly Youtube videos, which doesn't bode well for her longevity but at least shows she knows how to milk this opportunity for all it's worth) and Bob, but you knew that already.

Acid Betty and Kim Chi both have cool styles but I'm not sure how they'll perform? Wasn't impressed by their MTQ vids for some reason. :shrug:

...everyone else looks like (very fun) cannon fodder; we'll see, as always, and I'm sure I'll fall in love with every last one of them, but sorry girls!

And that's unfortunate, actually. I'm actually really tired of having token PR and Big Girl queens who never, ever take the crown. It's not a super big deal, but it's starting to come off as a little patronizing. Hence why I'm rooting for Cynthia in spite of it all, who seems to have a Katya-like personality that might catch on in a big way.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Cyn-tia is great. She has the telenovela thing absolutely dialed, she's funny and winsome, and that mug, Jesus.

I also like Laila McQueen's herd of lesbians and shy hilarity (it took me a couple of viewings to catch on, but bitch is a lowkey riot.) I hope she doesn't choke.

graynull posted:

THANK YOU, HOLY poo poo. THIS HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME SO MUCH.

I was trying so hard to figure out who she reminded me of, thinking of celebrities, like ya do, and drawing a blank. Turns out I fuckin know her. Not *her* her obviously, and a biological woman, and an ex-girlfriend of one of my best friends, but she's Dax down to the ground. Look, speech patterns, expressions, the whole nine. Crazy. I like her too. (Dax, and my friend's ex.)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Back when everything was speculation and Nancy Drew-work, I already had Bob, Dax, and Kim as favorites. Seeing the MtQs sealed the deal, but every queen so far has charmed me in some way. Even the "boring" pageant-y types have such cute MtQ/trailer outfits and sweet personalities I can't help but like them.

I agree about Dax. She is ultra pretty, and the nerdiness is automatic points in my book. Something about her toothy, slightly-open-mouth resting face just mesmerizes me. Her husband/boyfriend is ultra cute too...

I didn't know much about Laila before her MtQ, but I loved her dry humor. I really hope she isn't an early out. She needs to be there to balance out the pageant queens with her trashiness.

Ugh, this is gonna be a long month.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

finally had a chance to watch all the MTQ videos and daaaaamnit. Bob is :perfect: and I'm worried that I'll be just as bummed as I was when Katya didn't go all the way.

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, this is gonna be a long month.

...sigh. yep.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

...were there any ringers or obvious plants in Season 7 (besides Pearl, maybe)? It's hard to tell, unfortunately.

I know a lot of fans don't like her, but I'd say Ginger Minj. Didn't it come out that despite her protestations that she couldn't sew or dance she was a costume designer and choreographer? She was just about one of the most well rounded Queens we've had on the show, and I honestly believe that if it wasn't for the fact that a large portion of the fandom disliked her so heavily, she was meant to be the first "Big Girl" winner.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Illuen posted:

I know a lot of fans don't like her, but I'd say Ginger Minj. Didn't it come out that despite her protestations that she couldn't sew or dance she was a costume designer and choreographer? She was just about one of the most well rounded Queens we've had on the show, and I honestly believe that if it wasn't for the fact that a large portion of the fandom disliked her so heavily, she was meant to be the first "Big Girl" winner.
A little bird told me that this is absolutely, objectively, irl true. She would've had it in the bag if not for her disgraceful showing on Untucked.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Bob the Drag Queen did the readings at my wedding. She's a sweetheart and I hope she wins. :cheers:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjjwlC3osBc

Katya and Willam are magical together. And sticky. :allears:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Rupaul's going to be in the next episode of The Muppets this week! Not in drag it seems

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Holy poo poo this lineup: http://www.thedivasofdrag.com

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bob and Dax. I want them in top 2.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I'm really excited for Naomi Smalls. We're from the same town so I kinda have to root for her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Darkoni posted:

I'm really excited for Naomi Smalls. We're from the same town so I kinda have to root for her.

Yeah I thought that about Courtney but then there was Bianca and Adore.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I thought that about Courtney but then there was Bianca and Adore.

True, but our hometown is very religious and conservative so it's nice to see someone come from that and gain prominence in a field they would staunchly oppose.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just watched season 1 of Gravity Falls with my wife (she'd never seen it) and we cane to the conclusion that Lil Gideon is actually Ginger Minj.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

spite house posted:

A little bird told me that this is absolutely, objectively, irl true. She would've had it in the bag if not for her disgraceful showing on Untucked.

I liked Ginger until I watched Untucked. After that I couldn't stand her. A buddy of mine loves her, but hasn't watched Untucked. I wonder if his perception would change if he watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

her constant "well, I thought you were poo poo but today you were kiiiiinda cool" is obnoxious AF, especially as she only had one hairstyle throughout the competition...

• Locked thread