Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is Emma, I believe she's an Aussie mix:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mirificus posted:

I had been wondering where a lot of specific terms like that came from and then one day I read a Letter from the Chairman and it all clicked into place.

And therein lies why I have no respect for these backers whatsoever. Chris used the word fidelity, so it's everywhere now. He mentions publishers, so it gets repeated. Just repeat the words of your messiah - don't think, just repeat it all.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

And therein lies why I have no respect for these backers whatsoever. Chris used the word fidelity, so it's everywhere now. He mentions publishers, so it gets repeated. Just repeat the words of your messiah - don't think, just repeat it all.

I have no respect for backers for entirely unrelated reasons!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4457zh/star_citizen_too_good_to_be_true/cznklb7

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Booblord Zagats posted:

Honestly I do agree with this guy a bit. Elite is an amazingly engineered game and a wonderful proof of concept, but it suffers from the issues EVE did the first few years

Not enough ships, you always feel alone and there's not much to do if you can't make your own fun

I've become something of an Elite fanboy in the last month so I'm going to defend it here, but please understand that everything I say is from the heavily biased perspective of a person who likes truck-driving-sim games:

People are always saying that Elite is shallow and dull but it's really not. It's just paced differently than almost every other MMO, even EVE. There is actually a persistent background economy, and there are ways to have a meaningful impact on the world, but the actions you've got to take are measured in days and weeks of playtime, not hours. Players have actually mapped with precision exactly how factions interact economically and go to war with one another, and at some point player-based factions were put into the game alongside the major powers, so you've got all kinds of groups pushing their own little flags all over the map now. Idiots on Reddit are always getting up in arms about how Frontier has nerfed this or that station by adding or removing missions, and on closer inspection it is almost always player action- too many people rushing to donate, or some group sabotaging a station with alien artifacts, or pushing their chosen faction into control of the system and changing the balance of the economy. If you fly solo of course you'll never notice any of this, but it's there as soon as you dig.

And the game is vast. In the course of trying to grind up my empire rep over several weeks, I went from hauling rare goods to smuggling to driving around a planet to doing aerial ground attacks to combat in space. No one system was a perfect self-contained game, but nothing in Elite is really designed to be. It's a game that you have to fit yourself into, not the other way around- find the shape of the things you like to do, and just do them. I've never seen another game that did so much in support of the explorer type of MMO player- there is so much to see out there for astronomy fans. There's an interesting ongoing narrative that develops through the actions of players and actually impacts the game world, driven by community goals. There's regular content expansions, several times per year. The PvP combat is a pretty balanced affair right now- and if you don't want to do it in the main game, there's a separate dogfighting arena.

The controls are my favorite part. They're fantastically intuitive- I wish there were awards for things like UI design in games, because Elite deserves one. There's so much information for the player to go through and 90% of it is available through easily understood systems in-game; What's missing is aggregate data about multiple systems, and there are some very easy websites to sort that out. The game is a joy to fly with a HOTAS, and has obviously been built around that concept- even the fixed weapons can flex ever-so-slightly to hit your target. It already supports VR, and if it weren't for the poo poo resolution on the DK2 it'd be the only way I ever played; The sense of scale is fantastic. And the sound! It's almost perfect for nearly every action in the game- you can close your eyes and still have a good idea of what a pilot is doing just by the sound cues.

Is there a lot of grinding, and could there be more player engagement through owned stations? Yes, and yes. It's not a perfect game. Personally I feel like they need to do a lot of work to make missions more interesting and valuable, and the ability to jump between open and solo play really hurts the game- risk-averse players simply go to solo until they want a fight, depriving you of a lot of interesting interactions. I'd love to see missions give crafting resources as rewards, for those who don't want to go scoop them off planets. I'd love to see players build and maintain outposts outside of the bubble. They've already promised more crafting as their next content drop, as well as an increase in weapon types. Further out on the horizon, big ships will actually get to launch npc (or player) fighters, and have multiple crew stations. They've got a ton of systems and they need to start linking them all up- but the potential is there.

But it's crazy how much of a departure it is from every other MMO out there, and if you don't mind putting in a lot of hours for a few weeks, there are enough shortcuts in the game right now to enable you to bypass most of the grinding for your ship of choice. But at some point you really should just sit down and grind anyway, and try to let the game take you along at it's own pace. If you can, it is one of the most unique and rewarding games of the last decade.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 4, 2016

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

StarCitizen - It's like K-Pop

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

darkarchon posted:

Did you buy platinum because of the platinum spoilers? They did contain some serious poo poo, yo.

Yes, also I bought the kryptonite upgrade by pledging 25,000 to Star Citizen - still waiting for the confirmation email though. I think customer service is busy denying refund requests at the moment, so I'm just patiently waiting. It might be ready for me in 2017?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

beep_boop posted:

It might be ready for me in 2017?
Optimist. :smugdog:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

beep_boop posted:

It might be ready for me in 2017?

:gary:

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

The book of Croberts, chapter 2 verse 4 says that I should be blindly optimistic, because on the day of release we will finally have making GBS threads in space, and it will be good.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

darkarchon posted:

StarCitizen - It's like K-Pop

please do not insult K-Pop like that

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

revmoo posted:

This is Emma, I believe she's an Aussie mix:

This dog has really good ears.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43ab9w/i_have_a_problem/czlkx5p

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

beep_boop posted:

Yes, also I bought the kryptonite upgrade by pledging 25,000 to Star Citizen - still waiting for the confirmation email though. I think customer service is busy denying refund requests at the moment, so I'm just patiently waiting. It might be ready for me in 2017?

Welcome to SA. The thing you have to understand is that we are a hivemind which takes games (and Ron Paul, and anime) really, really seriously. We have collectively decided that star citizen must not be released (otherwise it will prove our claims of it sucking to be wrong) and work tirelessly towards achieving that.

Once you have spend enough time around here, either Derek Smart or David Braben (the big "D"s we call 'em) will contact you with your orders.

Have fun commando.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Other failed stimpires:

1st Stimpire: Insert guacamole in urethra for thinking about cartoon characters in a sexual way.
5th Stimpire: Hotdogs increase every second.
10th Stimpire: Rule violators are forced to pet kittens. Citizens must watch and if they stop looking even to blink nobody really notices because wtf dude.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Kakarot posted:

They're turning on her

Star Citizen: can we have a game before the wallpaper please

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kakarot posted:

They're turning on her

Please don't point that out. You'll make Fuzzy Modem vomit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen: Does the carpet match the drapes

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
To put a myth to bed, most of the grunts in the UK actually really like Sandi and think she's a nice person, I'm being serious, and I know different ,but just saying ....
As you can see 'Im catching up on the thread and last I was around I think Sandi hate was still raging?
Also bare in mind that UK residents are the most cynical bastards on the planet so she is clearly doing something right , she just doesn't seem to be able to transfer this likability over to the colonies.
Our Hun friend has not yet announced to the general populace that he is leaving but it will be out there soon enough.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen: can we have our $2,500 ships before the $25 wallpaper please

EightAce posted:

Also bare in mind that UK residents are the most cynical bastards on the planet so...

Visit a third-world country once in a while.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

trucutru posted:

Welcome to SA. The thing you have to understand is that we are a hivemind which takes games (and Ron Paul, and anime) really, really seriously. We have collectively decided that star citizen must not be released (otherwise it will prove our claims of it sucking to be wrong) and work tirelessly towards achieving that.

Once you have spend enough time around here, either Derek Smart or David Braben (the big "D"s we call 'em) will contact you with your orders.

Have fun commando.

Thank you! In the unlikely event that they release the game, I'm looking forward to finally being able to play the space plane toiler paper refill mini game. I wonder if they'll give bonus points for folding the sheets in intricate patterns like you see at fancy hotels?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

beep_boop posted:

Thank you! In the unlikely event that they release the game, I'm looking forward to finally being able to play the space plane toiler paper refill mini game. I wonder if they'll give bonus points for folding the sheets in intricate patterns like you see at fancy hotels?

Or you can just join goons in griefing the shitizens

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Colostomy Bag posted:

Star Citizen: Does the carpet match the drapes

No. NO. No. There can be no carpet.

Have you learned nothing?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

trucutru posted:

Have fun commando.

But i want it to be released. CIG is doing it rear end first in the most wastefull way possible and the Schandenfreude is so sweet i'm getting diabetus but i still hope for maybe 30% of what they promised get released at the end.

Just give me EVE 1.5 with ww2 spaceplanes and i will be happy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

EightAce posted:

To put a myth to bed, most of the grunts in the UK actually really like Sandi and think she's a nice person, I'm being serious, and I know different ,but just saying ....
As you can see 'Im catching up on the thread and last I was around I think Sandi hate was still raging?
Also bare in mind that UK residents are the most cynical bastards on the planet so she is clearly doing something right , she just doesn't seem to be able to transfer this likability over to the colonies.
Our Hun friend has not yet announced to the general populace that he is leaving but it will be out there soon enough.

It's like you went down to the track, and all the horses were lined up. All of them find breeds, excellent stock, with good odds, except that one mangled horse from Australia that didn't show up because she was spending backer money on vacations and wallpaper, and you bet all your money on that one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

EightAce posted:

You've just made Fuzzy Modem's day. People in the UK studios like Sandi. Therefore, Beer's email chain with her is clearly forged.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

Romes128 posted:

Or you can just join goons in griefing the shitizens

When I briefly played the PU or whatever they'll calling it I spent most of my time ramming ships off of landing pads as people walked up to them. It was an endless source of entertainment!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sarsapariller posted:

I've become something of an Elite fanboy in the last month so I'm going to defend it here, but please understand that everything I say is from the heavily biased perspective of a person who likes truck-driving-sim games:

People are always saying that Elite is shallow and dull but it's really not. It's just paced differently than almost every other MMO, even EVE.

I agree with you for the most part, my issue with Elite is also in combat. It feels like WoW with a joystick, you just keep the target in front and spam your attacks while keeping an eye on energy levels. It feels more like a gear-check test than a skill-check. You don't make tactical flying decisions, just tactical purchasing decisions when you're arming up at dock. I use a HOTAS myself when I play and it feels like I spend more time screwing around with my comm/cargo/etc menus than actually flying the ship to get to the target, where I'll just fly in circles to keep the enemy in front and spam lasers and missiles until you can tractor in some loot and make the long haul back to get paid.

Plus I just really loving hate hauling cargo with a passion, just don't get the point in playing a game doing something that I pay other human beings to do for me IRL so I don't have to.

E: My 66 year old dad loving loves E:D though and spends most of his time space truckin and listening to vinyl. I don;t think it's a bad game, just not one I want to play. I think the one thing SC/Arena Commander got right is how visceral it can feel when you're dogfighting, as well as just how much I enjoy the way the ships look in motion. The only reason I still hope SC gets released one day by a competent team

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

beep_boop posted:

When I briefly played the PU or whatever they'll calling it I spent most of my time ramming ships off of landing pads as people walked up to them. It was an endless source of entertainment!

It is the only source of entertainment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nothing to see here.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 4, 2016

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

I agree with you for the most part, my issue with Elite is also in combat. It feels like WoW with a joystick, you just keep the target in front and spam your attacks while keeping an eye on energy levels. It feels more like a gear-check test than a skill-check. You don't make tactical flying decisions, just tactical purchasing decisions when you're arming up at dock. I use a HOTAS myself when I play and it feels like I spend more time screwing around with my comm/cargo/etc menus than actually flying the ship to get to the target, where I'll just fly in circles to keep the enemy in front and spam lasers and missiles until you can tractor in some loot and make the long haul back to get paid.

Plus I just really loving hate hauling cargo with a passion, just don't get the point in playing a game doing something that I pay other human beings to do for me IRL so I don't have to.

I think the most enjoyment that I got out of Elite was when I was exploring. I've found that as I get older, I don't get the same enjoyment out of combat that I used to.. probably because I suck at video games now. I haven't had a chance to check out the most recent update with all the landing, but I got a real sense of contribution by being the first person to see stuff out in the black. I hope that they expand upon the landing features, because it would be pretty cool for Elite to turn into a fancy No Man's Sky, I think.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Who summoned this guy? lol

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Might want to edit that post Commando!

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wow dude OPSEC

edit that poo poo out

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

trucutru posted:

Star Citizen: can we have our $2,500 ships before the $25 wallpaper please

Visit a third-world country once in a while.

Have you been to the UK recently .........

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Mirificus posted:

You've just made Fuzzy Modem's day. People in the UK studios like Sandi. Therefore, Beer's email chain with her is clearly forged.

As I said most of the grunts dont know her like some others do

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

beep_boop posted:

Hello commando

Please share your Citizen story with us, and how you came to join us in our little Internet corner

It is a cathartic and wholesome experience o9

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

beep_boop posted:

I think the most enjoyment that I got out of Elite was when I was exploring. I've found that as I get older, I don't get the same enjoyment out of combat that I used to.. probably because I suck at video games now. I haven't had a chance to check out the most recent update with all the landing, but I got a real sense of contribution by being the first person to see stuff out in the black. I hope that they expand upon the landing features, because it would be pretty cool for Elite to turn into a fancy No Man's Sky, I think.

That's one thing I do like in Elite, oddly enough, landing is actually kinda fun.

As for getting older and enjoying different things, I'm in my mid 30s now and I'm still all about the ultra-violence. My brother and I played a lot of dogfighting games growing up so to this day both of us still challenge each other tot hem with no end in sight

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

eightace, serious question, is there any sense of general unease or like 'something is wrong here' as a mood with the devs? I have a friend who is a coder,, really loves his work and tends to do 6-months ish contracts. Prides himself on working on a project towards results. Recently he had a job where he could just tell something was weird, no money seemed to be made on this product, there were mysterious investors and the goalposts for the work they were doing were constantly being moved.

The whole feeling of it was like it was just make-work to give the appearance of a business and it was driving him mad because he likes to see tangible progress in his job. Weird things kept happening then it all suddenly liquidated before Christmas. It sounded like a big money laundering scheme, and a common feeling of people working there was that something was not quite right and a lot of them bailed before poo poo hit the fan. The whole thing reminded me of star citizen and I wondered if there is any sort of current of unease like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some people can be nice to others while actually thinking bad things about them. And sometimes, they later reveal what they really think.

Come on people it's not exactly a superpower.

• Locked thread