Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

fuzzknot posted:

No. NO. No. There can be no carpet.

Have you learned nothing?

:vince:

Mirificus posted:

You've just made Fuzzy Modem's day. People in the UK studios like Sandi. Therefore, Beer's email chain with her is clearly forged.

Just caught up on the Fuzzy Modem thing. Wow that dude is a shithead. What is it with Shitizens, that they even back down from confrontation on the internet, which is place that they are allowed to argue in without all that scary face-to-face real life stuff? Pretty much all their conversations consist of them doubting something and then when they are offered proof they claim that "they don't care anyways" and run off and hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tippis posted:

Even WW2 fighters had better visibility and control layout than said spaceships. You have to go to something like Spirit of St. Louis (a decade or two earlier) to get some properly poor visibility, and even then it was for an entirely utilitarian reason (sleeker body for longer range).

Hopefully no other airgoons have beaten me to the punch, but the whole no-forward-view thing is specific to Lindy and the Spirit of St Louis—now, granted, normal unmodified Ryan M-2s don't have the greatest visibility either, but only the SoStL has the whole space-between-pilot's-face-and-exterior-of-aircraft-otherwise-wasted-so-bolt-in-a-fuel-tank thing going on.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
[/quote]

Minor revisions have been made to reflect new data, which hopefully does not prove anomalous...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

Have you been to the UK recently .........

Nah, just what we read in totally Credible news source the Daily Mail.

Should we send food or something?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: Around the Verse!

One minute in and already annoyed. It's just so grating...

I was going to start a new drinking game-- drinking every time "retooling", "revamping", "redesign" and synonyms are stated.

1:45 in- they are panhandling for new subscribers.

3:15 Austin update...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Ever since people mentioned it I cannot unsee Sandi looking at her paper every few words

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

GAMEPLAY VIDEO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS30k6w-uM

haha I love that they sped up the lovely sitting animation

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EightAce posted:

Have you been to the UK recently .........

Fair point.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

cocaine dad show posted:

eightace, serious question, is there any sense of general unease or like 'something is wrong here' as a mood with the devs? I have a friend who is a coder,, really loves his work and tends to do 6-months ish contracts. Prides himself on working on a project towards results. Recently he had a job where he could just tell something was weird, no money seemed to be made on this product, there were mysterious investors and the goalposts for the work they were doing were constantly being moved.

The whole feeling of it was like it was just make-work to give the appearance of a business and it was driving him mad because he likes to see tangible progress in his job. Weird things kept happening then it all suddenly liquidated before Christmas. It sounded like a big money laundering scheme, and a common feeling of people working there was that something was not quite right and a lot of them bailed before poo poo hit the fan. The whole thing reminded me of star citizen and I wondered if there is any sort of current of unease like that

Anyone that has ever made an actual game before knows its totally , completely and irredeemably hosed . Beyond hosed , ....fisted even .
But there is a sense of terror and fear beyond words, that if they talk or speak up about concerns they will not only be jettisoned but will never work in the industry again.
Even when they do leave and get another gig they stay silent and haunted ....

True

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
what is a good antonym for persistent

perishable? temporary? transitory?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

EightAce posted:

Anyone that has ever made an actual game before knows its totally , completely and irredeemably hosed . Beyond hosed , ....fisted even .
But there is a sense of terror and fear beyond words, that if they talk or speak up about concerns they will not only be jettisoned but will never work in the industry again.

True
stay safe developer ghost

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what is a good antonym for persistent

perishable? temporary? transitory?

relentless

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

True
This doesn't check out with your claims of Sandi being well liked

DEREK

EightAce
May 10, 2015

This doesn't check out with your claims of Sandi being well liked

DEREK

I said grunts ...twice. I am not a grunt

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
devs in a game studio are the gruntiest grunts

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

I said grunts ...twice. I am not a grunt

:eyepop:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darkarchon posted:

StarCitizen - It's like K-Pop

gently caress I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM IT

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

GAMEPLAY VIDEO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS30k6w-uM

haha I love that they sped up the lovely sitting animation

Wow! This game looks cool what's it called?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

EightAce posted:

True

I'm kind of curious, I understand that it's not wise in this industry to talk badly about your employer because you are walking in small circles, but if Star Citizen crashes and burns, does it become OK to talk about everything that happened, or could it still negatively affect people's chances of finding another job?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

same.

I hope you guys will all have cool stuff to put in your portfolios or whatever when this all goes tits up

EightAce
May 10, 2015

I suspect that GORF knows the score from both a technical and 'Insider' view point. As in he doesn't work there but is both well connected and is no stranger to game development.
However I could well be wrong, like Mr Smart keeps reiterating the dev community is a small one , but also a bitter one..

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

imperialparadox posted:

I'm kind of curious, I understand that it's not wise in this industry to talk badly about your employer because you are walking in small circles, but if Star Citizen crashes and burns, does it become OK to talk about everything that happened, or could it still negatively affect people's chances of finding another job?

Have you heard the saying "Snitches get Cutlasses"?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champagne being served. WTF?!

:chanpop:

I honestly can't believe that. How this could be consuming ANYONE's time, given the state of the game, is mind-blowing to me!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 4, 2016

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It really is painful to watch isn't it? One big money hustle from the opening GFX all the way, with Jabba the hut flailing around making abysmal "funnies" while she sits there with a smile more fake than the game.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

EightAce posted:

True

That's horrible :( my friend at least felt able to talk about it, to feel like it's this crushing millstone around your neck is really not nice. One other thing he said is that some people had this horrid fascination where they wanted to stay just to see how it ended, like they should quit but just find the whole thing so surreal that they wanted to ride it out, but also didn't want to have a black mark on their cv.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Their moderation is so dumb, making the post pink and putting strikeout tags around it, rather than just deleting it completely, does nothing more than highlight it, which is exactly what they don't want to happen.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

G0RF posted:

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champaign being served. WTF?!

I honestly can't believe that. How this could be consuming ANYONE's time, given the state of the game, is mind-blowing to me!

Well, the entire game is pretty much about buying ships for real dollars, so it makes sense in a way...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Uhhh at 39:00 they have like 10 seconds of camera on Ben while Sandi's talking and it's irritating

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

wyoak posted:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Also about UK people liking Sandi; as an American living in the UK I can confirm that most British people are basically miserable as poo poo. I guess it's the weather or something, or just another British'ism, but that might put a twist on "EveryoneThe peons love Sandi here!" angle.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champagne being served. WTF?!

:lol: this is amazing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

Well it's Austin no big loss

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

That must be it, gently caress I thought my vending machine taking cash for poo poo was asinine.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Everything they do really does revolve around selling whales more jpegs. It's disgusting and fascinating at the same time.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

G0RF posted:

Hahahahahahahaha yessssss

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

That must be it, gently caress I thought my vending machine taking cash for poo poo was asinine.

I think they're monitoring the thread for suggestions

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

That Dev at about 17 minutes in pretty much admits that what they are trying to do is impossible in the engine

EightAce
May 10, 2015

cocaine dad show posted:

That's horrible :( my friend at least felt able to talk about it, to feel like it's this crushing millstone around your neck is really not nice. One other thing he said is that some people had this horrid fascination where they wanted to stay just to see how it ended, like they should quit but just find the whole thing so surreal that they wanted to ride it out, but also didn't want to have a black mark on their cv.

The games industry is a very different beast. There are not that many jobs and not that many secure companies so when you land a decent gig you eat all the poo poo they throw at you until someone a bit higher up in the firm puts their CV around.
Normally what happens is this 'rat leaving a sinking shi' will bypass all recruitment horse poo poo and contact some old pals directly at other studios. Then when the ship hits the iceberg everyone that has ever said good morning to the aforementioned rat will be on linked in with the fucker before you can say Ardvark swift. And so the gaming world turns

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

G0RF posted:

I was going to start a new drinking game-- drinking every time "retooling", "revamping", "redesign" and synonyms are stated.

1:45 in- they are panhandling for new subscribers.

3:15 Austin update...

This isn't shot live and then uploaded is it? Why do they leave in the outtakes? Why does Sandi have to look at the paper every 3 words? Lesnick doesn't have to do that.

Does Sandi think she's going to be an actress if she can't memorize two lines? Yeesh. This whole thing fiasco is a bottomless pit of pitiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

Star citizen : A digital used car dealership somewhere in new jersy.

• Locked thread