Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HIJK posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm November 2016 perhaps!!!

Fingats crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Just finished episode 8. Don't like Ritter or Jones as a character, think it was either miscast, badly written or badly acted. Don't read comics so don't know what that's like but Ritter looks like a teen girl going through a goth phase in that jacket, personality is one tiny step above angry drunk racist, and I don't give a poo poo about what she does or happens to her.

Kilgrave on the other hand had a coming out party in episode 8. Went immediately from Don't Care in episodes 1-7 to Guy Owns. Jones finally came out with "you raped me" (rightfully) to him "well how am I supposed to know if everyone does what I want teehee" and David Tennant sold it enough that my mind went "Good point..." Well played, Kilgrave, making me feel sympathizer for the rapist. Well played indeed.

Would've much rather had a Kilgrave based show based on what I've seen so far.

Also with Cage leaving this is the whitest show (not) on TV.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think it was any of those three. I like Ritter in other things but the character is kind of hard to like. I mean the Jessica Jones we meet is almost nothing but scar tissue. Most of the people I know that really her are women, maybe because they can empathize with the PTSD and fear she's suffering from. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think including the cop was a good choice. Between Jones, Malcolm, the sister and the cop we get a good spectrum of how people deal with this kind of violation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Botnit posted:

Malcolm and the guy who left his kid on the street, just off the top of my head.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rarity posted:

Malcolm and the guy who left his kid on the street, just off the top of my head.

To be fair, overwhelming whiteness is a Hollywood problem, Marvel is just another iteration of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, yeah. The majority of the still living primary cast is white. But that's a problem with TV and Jessica Jones actually had a bunch of black characters in S1, could bring in more in S2, and will presumably have Malcolm and maybe a returning Cage in S2. It seems like a weird show to single out.

I mean, Daredevil was way whiter.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, yeah. The majority of the still living primary cast is white. But that's a problem with TV and Jessica Jones actually had a bunch of black characters in S1, could bring in more in S2, and will presumably have Malcolm and maybe a returning Cage in S2. It seems like a weird show to single out.

Daredevil had Russian gangsters, a Japanese ninja and a wise Chinese lady.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't think it was any of those three. I like Ritter in other things but the character is kind of hard to like. I mean the Jessica Jones we meet is almost nothing but scar tissue. Most of the people I know that really her are women, maybe because they can empathize with the PTSD and fear she's suffering from. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think including the cop was a good choice. Between Jones, Malcolm, the sister and the cop we get a good spectrum of how people deal with this kind of violation.

But we got scenes of her being just as much an insufferable oval office (British oval office) as a kid before any of that took place. Taking her brother's game boy then smashing the thing when told to give it back then blaming it on him and she's still acting like that when she was 16(?). You could say kids will be kids, etc but that's really her entire character after she's grown up. She still resorts to usually violent over reactions to every minor annoyance.

I also didn't say I didn't like her because of how good/bad a person she is, I started liking Kilgrave who is a far worse person, because in his limited by comparison screen time he's actually interesting, possibly due to being better written or better acted, I don't know.

I was so disappointed by the end of episode 8, I thought we were going to get a whole other episode or two of her trying to teach Kilgrave to be less evil and it would've been great, instead she turns on him and I actually went "fuuuuuuuuck" out loud.

Killing my excitement was almost as bad as killing your parents, Jessica Jones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Daredevil doesn't see color though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ry_Too_D2/status/693839203415666688
https://twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/693865172641800193

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Whoa, episode 10. This poo poo escalated quickly.

Poor Lester.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Don't look too closely at our pacing problems...

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

"I'm gonna track this gumshoe down"

"She has a captive!"

Lines of dialogue that should've never made it into a show.txt

Botnit fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 3, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

STAC Goat posted:

They even whitewashed Kingpin!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Botnit posted:

But we got scenes of her being just as much an insufferable oval office (British oval office) as a kid before any of that took place. Taking her brother's game boy then smashing the thing when told to give it back then blaming it on him and she's still acting like that when she was 16(?). You could say kids will be kids, etc but that's really her entire character after she's grown up. She still resorts to usually violent over reactions to every minor annoyance.

I also didn't say I didn't like her because of how good/bad a person she is, I started liking Kilgrave who is a far worse person, because in his limited by comparison screen time he's actually interesting, possibly due to being better written or better acted, I don't know.

I was so disappointed by the end of episode 8, I thought we were going to get a whole other episode or two of her trying to teach Kilgrave to be less evil and it would've been great, instead she turns on him and I actually went "fuuuuuuuuck" out loud.

Killing my excitement was almost as bad as killing your parents, Jessica Jones.

She was abandoned as a kid and grew up in a foster home. The behaviors she exhibited are very common among foster-care children. They tend to be angry at the world around them, especially towards those who seemingly had "normal" lives. It's portrayed pretty much perfectly. Keep in mind she starts to become friends with Trish only after discovering that Trish isn't actually "perfect" and is in fact living a lovely life being used and abused by her mom.

In any case, Jessica isn't meant to be liked, only sympathized with. She's very much an antihero: mean, has a lot of bad habits (e.g. drinking, lying, etc.) and hates people in general. Deep down inside though she's driven by the desire to do the right thing and protect those who can't protect themselves. The final scene is basically her being annoyed by all the help calls she starts to receive, but begrudgingly letting Malcolm respond to the voicemails.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, not exactly abandoned.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

She was abandoned as a kid and grew up in a foster home. The behaviors she exhibited are very common among foster-care children.

Are we watching the same show? She wasn't abandoned, her family died in car crash. She was also never a foster kid, she was literally adopted by a family before she'd ever left the hospital after the car crash?

Am I going crazy or is that not what happened?!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Botnit posted:

Are we watching the same show? She wasn't abandoned, her family died in car crash. She was also never a foster kid, she was literally adopted by a family before she'd ever left the hospital after the car crash?

Sorry, I was thinking of the comics, where she was placed in an orphanage and spent several months there before being adopted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

enraged_camel posted:

The final scene is basically her being annoyed by all the help calls she starts to receive, but begrudgingly letting Malcolm respond to the voicemails.

I don't think Jessica was "annoyed" by the calls for help. I think it just goes back to the Jessica/Patsy thing where Jessica doesn't believe she's a hero. Killing Kilgrave wouldn't be enough to convince her of that since Hope died, Cage was hurt and left, Patsy went through all that poo poo, and so many others were hurt or killed in doing it. Jessica's going to feel those loses way more than she'll feel satisfied that she "won."

That's what Malcolm is there for because he sees the hero in Jessica the same way Patsy did before all this Kilgrave stuff began. It will take time for Jessica to heal and feel good about herself but it will be Patsy, Malcolm, and probably Cage who help her get there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This preview indicates that Luke Cage is going to have sticky issues of race and violence front and center, which I think is great. MCU gets a lot of criticism, deservedly, for its lack of both boldness and diversity and this is a great way to address that, as well as extremely timely.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Don't screw this up, Marvel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

Don't screw this up, Marvel.

Cheo Hodari Coker won an NAACP Image award for his writing on Southland so we should be in good hands. I thought they handled equally sticky gender issues in JJ pretty well, so I'm really excited to see what they do here.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

uPen posted:

Daredevil had Russian gangsters, a Japanese ninja and a wise Chinese lady.

Uh, not to slam on Daredevil (I liked it, except I still think that the Kingpin was horrible in the show), but aren't all those basically huge mostly negative stereotypes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Russian Gangsters and Japanese Ninjas yes. Not so sure about magic drug dealing Chinese grandmas. Then again, they did name drop the Triad.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Botnit posted:

Just finished episode 8. Don't like Ritter or Jones as a character, think it was either miscast, badly written or badly acted. Don't read comics so don't know what that's like but Ritter looks like a teen girl going through a goth phase in that jacket, personality is one tiny step above angry drunk racist, and I don't give a poo poo about what she does or happens to her.

Kilgrave on the other hand had a coming out party in episode 8. Went immediately from Don't Care in episodes 1-7 to Guy Owns. Jones finally came out with "you raped me" (rightfully) to him "well how am I supposed to know if everyone does what I want teehee" and David Tennant sold it enough that my mind went "Good point..." Well played, Kilgrave, making me feel sympathizer for the rapist. Well played indeed.

Would've much rather had a Kilgrave based show based on what I've seen so far.

ugh if ever a post made me want to see someone round up and shot for their opinion about a Netflix original

Gyges posted:

Daredevil doesn't see color though.

:chanpop:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Russian Gangsters and Japanese Ninjas yes. Not so sure about magic drug dealing Chinese grandmas. Then again, they did name drop the Triad.

Those are all stereotypes. The edgy twist is that the paper packets of powder being peddled by the mysterious old Asian woman are heroin.

I still can't wait for Iron Fist. It's gonna be so good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah Daredevil got called out for having ridiculous racial stereotypes in at least one academic essay a while back. Although the real fault still lies with the comics for having Real Life Ninjas Wearing Red Outfits. At least in the 90s stuff I'm reading.

Which still makes me wtf since that is not how actual ninjas would operate but I imagine this is another bullshit thing introduced by Frank Miller and no one at Marvel has the brains or creativity to think what an actual ninja clan would look like and follow up on it sans-cartoon outfits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What part of "comic book about a blind superhero" makes you think "how ninjas would actually operate" ever entered the equation?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gyges posted:

She literally used slaves to package and deliver drugs. Bllind slaves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Renoistic posted:

They were interns and frankly they should be grateful for the experience.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Snak posted:

What part of "comic book about a blind superhero" makes you think "how ninjas would actually operate" ever entered the equation?

I'm relating it to the "comical racist stereotype of Japanese ninjas as portrayed by white people" part of the equation. It's simplifying the issue, I admit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marvel is always going to have a problem balancing characters and casts that were created in the sixties with modern mores.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HIJK posted:

Yeah Daredevil got called out for having ridiculous racial stereotypes in at least one academic essay a while back. Although the real fault still lies with the comics for having Real Life Ninjas Wearing Red Outfits. At least in the 90s stuff I'm reading.

Which still makes me wtf since that is not how actual ninjas would operate but I imagine this is another bullshit thing introduced by Frank Miller and no one at Marvel has the brains or creativity to think what an actual ninja clan would look like and follow up on it sans-cartoon outfits.

A lot of the time, costume choices are made in accordance with the scenes in which the characters will appear. There are a lot of nuances, such as how characters look in a certain color of outfit under certain lighting conditions. It is also part of a larger equation that dictates what types of feelings the cinematographers want to convey in a scene. A red ninja outfit conveys aggressiveness and hostility, whereas a black one denotes stealth, for instance. Doesn't have to be realistic. This is a god drat superhero show, after all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Those are all stereotypes. The edgy twist is that the paper packets of powder being peddled by the mysterious old Asian woman are heroin.

I maintain that a magical, kung-fu, drug kingpin, Asian grandma is indeed not a common stereotype, though it does include a few. If it was an Asian grandpa it would be a full fusion of stereotypes, but as a grandma there are fewer mashed together.

Renoistic posted:

She uses religious fanatics. Fanatics literally blinded by their faith.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Botnit posted:

Well, to be fair, the very first thing she heard her new foster family say was that her real family was all dead and that they were just adopting her as a PR stunt to give themselves some publicity. It's not exactly a good start to the relationship. Her new mother wasn't exactly attentive or caring either, and one of the few interactions we see between her and kid Jessica is her denying Jessica the time to find a cherished item from her old home before she leaves forever because her new mom just wants to be gone and has no real interest in helping Jessica. She also has every reason to blame herself for the death of her family. It's entirely reasonable to suppose that she's going to have issues and put people at arm's length for a long, long time afterwards. It doesn't make her a likable character, but I think it's reasonable to empathize with why she ended up unlikable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Cheo Hodari Coker won an NAACP Image award for his writing on Southland so we should be in good hands. I thought they handled equally sticky gender issues in JJ pretty well, so I'm really excited to see what they do here.

My only exposure to Cheo Hodari Coker is as a talking head on various VH1 documentaries and listicle type shows, so the idea of him being the show runner of Luke Cage is a weird one to me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

I imagine Punisher in jail would be a lot like Rorschach in jail.

Some of the most famous Punisher comics had him going to jail and then murdering half the jail, so yep.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe we'll get the Punisher / Luke Cage crossover from the 90s!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Maybe we'll get the Punisher / Luke Cage crossover from the 90s!

Too bad Spidey isn't around yet because I want that scene where Punisher gives him a full punch to the face and Spider-Man shrugs it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Marvel is always going to have a problem balancing characters and casts that were created in the sixties with modern mores.

So's DC admittedly, but I guess a lot of their stuff is sci-fi enough that it's ok.

Except for the league of ninjas that live in the Himalayas.