Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:
Download the latest version here!

Last Read? Isn't that something the forums keep track of?

Duz covered this pretty well:

duz posted:

The brief history of SALR

Back in the old days, the forums didn't track what threads you read so biznatchio write a Firefox extension to do it for you. In time, biznatchio no longer had enough free time to keep the extension up to date with the forum changes so others took over. After some time, the extension was updated to use the Firefox 2.0 SQL engine for even better stability and thread tracking. Recently the forums have added read thread tracking rending much of what this extension does obsolete.

So what the heck does SALR do now?

Lots of stuff with lots of options. Here's a short, incomplete list of features:
  • Customizable user notes and colors - highlight your favorite and least favorite posters!

• Quick Reply/Quote/Edit/Post window with smilie/vb code menus, quick imgur upload button, live post preview, and more

• Shrink large custom titles

• Per-user 'Hide Avatar' toggle

• fetch titles of posted youtube video links and convert YouTube links into click-to-embed players with customizable sizes

• Handy thread search box

• can convert linked images to inline images
  • can convert images in read posts to links
  • can specify a maximum width and/or height for images (sometimes doesn't work)
  • ignoring threads - hides them from thread lists entirely
  • mouse gesture navigation
  • Corner navigator for multi-page forums/threads

• SA Menu in the menu bar and/or SA Menu toolbar button with dropdown forum menu + pinnable forums/threads:

• Adds individual post links to each post
  • Several little CSS tweaks, including shrinking ignored posts to not take up so much space, hiding the report button on your own posts, etc.

Keyboard Navigation:
  • N - Next Post
  • P/M - Previous Post
  • J - Next Page
  • K/H - Previous Page
  • O - Reanchor thread
  • Q - Quick Quote current post
  • E - Quick Edit current post
  • R - Quick Reply current thread

Required and/or recommended forum side options:

+ make sure to set this option to 'no' if you want to use SALR's customizable embedding:

astral fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have a cool idea for SALR! - or - I found a bug, you people are jerks!

The SALR project can be found on GitHub here. If your bug or idea isn't already on the list of issues feel free to post about it in the thread or submit a new issue for it on GitHub.

Who are you people anyway?
For the last few years it's just been me working on SALR, but it couldn't exist without the hard work of a lot of people!

I am a Javascript wizard and I'd like to help out!

Great! Feel free to contact me via PM

(here's a link to the last SALR thread)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Multiprocess-aware SALR Beta is over!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 3, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any plans to add an "open all threads with new posts in tabs" functionality? It'd be nice to be able to dump an extension.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Are there any plans to add an "open all threads with new posts in tabs" functionality? It'd be nice to be able to dump an extension.

That's definitely been a somewhat popular feature request (popular enough to have spawned that greasemonkey script many years ago). The historical answer has been 'no' to that request as-is, though. I could envision a more interesting version, maybe, where you could set up things like threads you always/never want the button to affect, max amount of tabs opened, min/max posts required to open, etc., but that will take some more consideration, probably require some discussion, and of course take some time.

I've filed an issue for it so the ideas won't be forgotten, but right now there are some much higher priority issues to work on - finishing optimizing the multi-process stuff, migrating SALR's database backend away from main-thread synchronous SQL (should be a nice speed up for Firefox and SALR start times), and I'm also looking into whether we can offer an option to support Firefox Sync for SALR's database (user notes/colors, hidden avatars, ignored threads, starred threads, etc).

edit: Firefox Sync support is feasible and will probably show up some time after our database backend changes are done.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 21, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks. I totally understand that the multi-process stuff and everything that might be related is a higher priority. What language are Firefox extensions written in? If it's still on the to-do by the time I graduate in May, I might give a crack at adding that myself.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Thanks. I totally understand that the multi-process stuff and everything that might be related is a higher priority. What language are Firefox extensions written in? If it's still on the to-do by the time I graduate in May, I might give a crack at adding that myself.

Mostly Javascript. Contributions are welcome - I still need to write up something about how to get all set up with Node.js and Grunt Gulp to be able to build the extension, but for now I'll handle explaining that (and anything else about working on SALR) on a case by case basis.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 5, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

edit: Beta's over.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 3, 2016

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
For anyone else who couldn't install from that link, you need to go through here: https://github.com/astral-sa/salr/releases
Firefox blocks the link for me without giving me the option to allow it if I go directly to the XPI.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

For anyone else who couldn't install from that link, you need to go through here: https://github.com/astral-sa/salr/releases
Firefox blocks the link for me without giving me the option to allow it if I go directly to the XPI.

Interesting; I wonder what's blocking it. Maybe it's a 'have you visited that site before?' check - after having visited a page on github, does it then let you install from the XPI link in the thread?

edit: I just tested with a completely fresh Firefox profile and I still had the option to install, so I guess that's not it.

I did notice one thing, though - if I middle-click the xpi link, the tab opens in the background and it doesn't give me an option to allow the addon install. However, if I left-click the xpi link, the tab opens in the foreground and it does offer the allow button. Might this be what you're running into?

astral fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 26, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tab Mix Plus opens the tab in the background for me when left clicking and the link still works properly for me, though I have to go to the tab manually for it to actually pop up the warning that something is trying to install and start downloading.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
3.0.2 just started throwing an error in the quick post window, with 45.0b1. It just says it got a response that it didn't expect, and to close the window and try again.

I'm going to try the test version and see what happens.

Edit: Firefox is crashing to desktop on startup now, so this may just be a symptom of something else being lovely. Fun!

Edit2: No idea what happened before, but FF is running again. The unexpected response error is still occurring under 3.1.0-beta-8.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 29, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

3.0.2 just started throwing an error in the quick post window, with 45.0b1. It just says it got a response that it didn't expect, and to close the window and try again.

I'm going to try the test version and see what happens.

Edit: Firefox is crashing to desktop on startup now, so this may just be a symptom of something else being lovely. Fun!

Edit2: No idea what happened before, but FF is running again. The unexpected response error is still occurring under 3.1.0-beta-8.

Looking into this - likeliest cause is a third-party cookie policy issue, in which case as a workaround you can either:
  • Add a cookie exception to always allow cookies from the SA forums, or
  • temporarily enable third party cookies from visited sites
and that should fix things for you.

A little info about that error: when you click a quick button, SALR makes a request for the full reply page to import any quoted text and also grab some information off the page so we can pass SA's forged-post and anti-double-posts check.

Getting that error means you're receiving a response from SA, but the message box is missing. In the past (Firefox ~3.0 era) this happened if someone had third-party cookies disabled, which made SALR's request not pass along the relevant cookies. We fixed that by setting a specific load flag with our request, but it looks like Firefox may not be respecting that.

edit: Fixed this for the next beta version.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 29, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That did it! Thanks. I went in and added an exception for cookies from the forums, and it looks like it's working again.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Is there any way to make a "live thread" reload button at the bottom to reload page then go to the last unread post?

Ie. for GDT threads in Sports forums, its kinda annoying going back forum then latest post. or just hitting F5 and trying to find out wtf you left off on... (especially when there's there like 5 pages in 1 second in some major play). I remember I had it before, I think I it was in the opera version :corsair:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 30, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hirez posted:

Is there any way to make a "live thread" reload button at the bottom to reload page then go to the last unread post?

Ie. for GDT threads in Sports forums, its kinda annoying going back forum then latest post. or just hitting F5 and trying to find out wtf you left off on... (especially when there's there like 5 pages in 1 second in some major play). I remember I had it before, I think I it was in the opera version :corsair:

If you enable the page navigator (SALR options -> Threads), the rightmost button acts the same as the 'jump to last read post' button from forums/bookmarks:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
ahh perfect. I hadn't been using the Page Navigator for years because it made everything choppy. Seems all right now though.

Speaking of which, is there a need for the pshrlisting snf not just be display: none/clear; or whatever.

Maybe throw in the 1-5 vote button in there and get rid of that whole line? Not that that matters even the tiniest bit :P

If the page nav. seems wonky again, I'll try to figure out how to just move that button after the last thread, can't be that hard, though I haven't worked in web.dev for 10+ years :P

Thanks a bunch for keeping it going

Hirez fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 30, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hirez posted:

ahh perfect. I hadn't been using the Page Navigator for years because it made everything choppy. Seems all right now though.

Speaking of which, is there a need for the pshrlisting snf not just be display: none/clear; or whatever.

Maybe throw in the 1-5 vote button in there and get rid of that whole line? Not that that matters even the tiniest bit :P

If the page nav. seems wonky again, I'll try to figure out how to just move that button after the last thread, can't be that hard, though I haven't worked in web.dev for 10+ years :P

Thanks a bunch for keeping it going

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Beta is over; thanks everyone who helped test!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 3, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren::toot:v4.0.0 - multi-process aware SALR is out!:toot:

(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New in v4.0:

• Significantly improved multi-process Firefox compatibility and performance.
  • Improved SALR start time.
  • Added support for https forum pages/links/forms.
  • Improved large custom title text shrinking (see this image for a comparison).
  • Fixed users sometimes showing up in the custom highlighting listbox when they had no custom highlighting set.
  • Fixed SALR Menu pin helper not auto-switching to the menus pane.
  • Removed click-to-embed gifv and webm support since the forums are auto-embedding them.
  • Fixed Quick Post window breaking when third-party cookies were disabled.

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or stop by the web chat.

Thanks again to everyone who helped beta test!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The little message after you update says "If an forum..."

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

FillInTheBlank posted:

The little message after you update says "If an forum..."

It says "If an SA forum ..." which is correct. :confused:

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Is keyboard navigation broken for anyone else while in the threadlist? I can't get j or k to change pages anymore since the last update.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Trump Card posted:

Is keyboard navigation broken for anyone else while in the threadlist? I can't get j or k to change pages anymore since the last update.

Yep, and I see why. Thanks for catching this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren::toot:v4.0.1 - multi-process aware SALR is out!:toot:

(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New in v4.0.1:

• Improved SALR's detection of page numbers in threads and forums.
  • Fixed an issue with keyboard navigation not working in forums.

New in v4.0:

• Significantly improved multi-process Firefox compatibility and performance.
  • Improved SALR start time.
  • Added support for https forum pages/links/forms.
  • Improved large custom title text shrinking (see this image for a comparison).
  • Fixed users sometimes showing up in the custom highlighting listbox when they had no custom highlighting set.
  • Fixed SALR Menu pin helper not auto-switching to the menus pane.
  • Removed click-to-embed gifv and webm support since the forums are auto-embedding them.
  • Fixed Quick Post window breaking when third-party cookies were disabled.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

astral posted:

[*]Removed click-to-embed gifv and webm support since the forums are auto-embedding them.

Can we have a feature that stops them from playing until they're clicked? Some of them have been destroying my browser.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CPColin posted:

Can we have a feature that stops them from playing until they're clicked? Some of them have been destroying my browser.

As far as I understand, after the forums are in the cloud, ZDR's going to work on proper BBCode support and/or forum options to handle the embeds better. Once that happens, SALR can properly interact with them and offer further customization options.

If I have a chunk of spare time and a good forum solution hasn't happened yet, I can look into whipping something up that watches for when the forums JS embeds the videos (using a MutationObserver, for the technically inclined) and either prevents the conversion to video or changes the videos' properties/attributes. This falls into the hacky solution category though.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 8, 2016

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Got it. Didn't realize it was JS doing the actual embedding. No wonder videos and tweets make the page jump after everything loads. Thanks for checking!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CPColin posted:

CPColin posted:

Got it. Didn't realize it was JS doing the actual embedding. No wonder videos and tweets make the page jump after everything loads. Thanks for checking!

I read up on MutationObservers and this turned out to be a lot easier than I thought so here's a dev build you can test. After you install it, you'll need to go to about :config and toggle preference extensions.salastread.dontAutoplayGifVideos to true to enable the feature.

It'll auto-update to the next release version (4.1.0) when it comes out for real.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Could use some testing/feedback for some upcoming features and changes, so here's a prerelease build:

:siren:v4.1.0-dev.2 is out

(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in v4.1.0-dev:

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
  • Added option to prevent forums JS from autoplaying gifv/gfys.
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or stop by the web chat.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

This doesn't affect webm's, is that right?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

This doesn't affect webm's, is that right?

Forum JS only sets the autoplay flag on mp4 and webm videos when they're gifv stuff from imgur or gfy stuff from gfycat; this option prevents those from automatically playing (and adds controls so you can click the videos to start playing them). It doesn't affect anything else, nor does it (at least in its current state) do anything to prevent the conversion from links to embedded video elements.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm having problems with "thread id not found in live forums" when posting to threads randomly, as well as 0 result searches, which can get fixed by refreshing, and bookmarking threads getting hung up on the little "loading" gif that appears when you click it.

Zen Robot Man's having none of this, saying it's on my end, the only thing I can think of is SALR. I can't really test it too much on a blank firefox profile because the bugs are intermittent, random, and sorta-rare enough to not really justify using a new profile for a while just for SA.

Is anyone else on SALR having the same or similar problems as me?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megaspel posted:

I'm having problems with "thread id not found in live forums" when posting to threads randomly, as well as 0 result searches, which can get fixed by refreshing, and bookmarking threads getting hung up on the little "loading" gif that appears when you click it.

Zen Robot Man's having none of this, saying it's on my end, the only thing I can think of is SALR. I can't really test it too much on a blank firefox profile because the bugs are intermittent, random, and sorta-rare enough to not really justify using a new profile for a while just for SA.

Is anyone else on SALR having the same or similar problems as me?

Zero result searches are a forum bug - I've seen it happen before when I clicked someone's "post history" link, and SALR certainly isn't interfering with fetching the results of those.

I haven't personally run into the thread ID/live forums thing, but I have seen one or two other posters mention it. The first said they were using an iPhone though, so I'm going to say that's also probably not SALR's doing but a weird intermittent forum bug.

SALR doesn't touch the bookmark stars at all. Although we do add one to the page navigator, the code that powers the bookmark stars is all handled by forum JS; any issues with it are likely going to be a network or server issue.

Edit: Clarified bookmarks a bit more.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 26, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

astral posted:

Zero result searches are a forum bug - I've seen it happen before when I clicked someone's "post history" link, and SALR certainly isn't interfering with fetching the results of those.

I haven't personally run into the thread ID/live forums thing, but I have seen one or two other posters mention it. The first said they were using an iPhone though, so I'm going to say that's also probably not SALR's doing but a weird intermittent forum bug.

SALR doesn't touch the bookmark stars at all. Although we do add one to the page navigator, the code that powers the bookmark stars is all handled by forum JS; any issues with it are likely going to be a network or server issue.

Edit: Clarified bookmarks a bit more.

Cheers, I figured as much, but it's nice to have a bit of clarification. The bookmark thing may have just been a weird Firefox bug or something, who knows.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

imgur API v2 was finally disabled, which means uploading images from the quick quote window, the workaround for the forum image link bug, and the experimental gif-to-video feature are temporarily broken

edit: I'll put out a new beta/dev version tonight to fix this, then hopefully a full release this weekend.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 1, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Could still use some testing/feedback for some upcoming features and changes, so here's another prerelease build:

:siren:v4.1.0-dev.3 is out

(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in v4.1.0-dev: (bolded = new in 4.1.0-dev.3)

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Accidentally middle-clicking 'Add Coloring/Note', 'Show/Hide Avatar', or 'Mark as unread' buttons will no longer open useless new tabs.
  • Post dates/times no longer wrap to a new line.
  • Reduced the amount of space between lines of user notes.
  • Fixed imgur API breakage (now using API version 3).
  • Imgur upload tool enhancements:
    • Added a progress bar for imgur uploads.
    • Imgur upload tool now outputs https image links.
    • The deletion link for an uploaded image is now printed to the browser console (usually ctrl+shift+j), just in case.
    • Improved the security of the imgur upload tool.

• Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

Also fixed in this build - SALR preferences weren't opening/displaying in Firefox 48 (Nightly).

astral fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Imgur upload tool enhancements:

Perfect timing. I just noticed the Imgur Firefox extension no longer works.

EDIT - it seems the option to highlight OP background isn't working. I can make anyone else's posts change colour, but not the OP of a thread.

Here's how I have it set up:

The backgrounds of posts by mods and admins still change colour, as do those of individual users I've marked. Just not the OP for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 2, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT - it seems the option to highlight OP background isn't working. I can make anyone else's posts change colour, but not the OP of a thread.

Good catch!

:siren:4.1.0-dev.4 is out

(just fixes the OP background highlighting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is there any way to change the size of the quick reply window to be friendlier to smaller desktops? On a 1280x720 display the title bar disappears above the top of the desktop. You'd think this wouldn't come up these days but for good or ill Firefox is almost a model HiDPI app and on Windows this is how ill appears.

Yeah I'd rather not turn off HiDPI on an 11.6" 1920x1080 screen.

• Locked thread