Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The cost of an iPhone 5c should be $269, a new 5S is $450?

3rd party parts would make it ineligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what is wrong with your phone?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
$269 is the cost after they refund the cover charge, but if I'm reading the page correctly they will put a $549 hold on my card until I send them my phone and they deem it eligible, at which point they'll refund me the $280 cover charge.

Does a screen protector count as a third-party component? I would peel it off before shipping but I'm afraid it would take part of the screen with it.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

noirstronaut posted:

what is wrong with your phone?

Cracked screen, old battery, power button's kinda hosed up

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I'm guessing the only way it wouldn't be eligible is if you had a 3rd party repair done in the past. Beyond that, the whole point is to fix anything that's not in the normal warranty so I can't imagine what else it would be.

edit: can't imagine anyone would care about a screen protector.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 4, 2016

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The rear end Stooge posted:

Cracked screen, old battery, power button's kinda hosed up

If you can live without it for a few days, I can arrange something to get it fixed for somewhere around $150. PM me if you wanna.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

noirstronaut posted:

If you can live without it for a few days, I can arrange something to get it fixed for somewhere around $150. PM me if you wanna.

I appreciate the offer, but I would rather find somewhere local that can do it while I wait, if possible. Thanks though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is there a Lightning adaptor that can attach both an external monitor and a HID? I'm trying to authorize a new computer so I can get data off a 5c with a broken screen/digitizer, and the only products I can find are for either a monitor or a keyboard, but not both.

Maybe I should just buy a replacement screen/digitizer and install it half-way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well on a Mac you can get the video feed with just the USB cable, although I'm thinking you might need the touchscreen to allow access in the first place.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there nothing I can download on an iPhone to have a user's Google Voice number injected as caller ID on the native dialer and text apps? Does he have to use the Google Voice app to send out texts every time if he wants his GV caller ID to show up?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Is there nothing I can download on an iPhone to have a user's Google Voice number injected as caller ID on the native dialer and text apps? Does he have to use the Google Voice app to send out texts every time if he wants his GV caller ID to show up?

Add the number to the person's contact entry.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Zero VGS posted:

You can always use the Hangouts app, which is infinitely better. :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

Add the number to the person's contact entry.

Bear in mind I'm an IT guy but I have almost no iPhone experience; could you explain how this works more in depth? The user adds his GV number to his own contact entry on his iPhone and then it'll send out the right caller ID to anyone he calls/texts with the stock iPhone apps?

Kazy posted:

You can always use the Hangouts app, which is infinitely better. :v:

Maybe it is better but it doesn't have the user's text history so he was instantly put off by that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a launch day 6 and noticed the battery seemed to run out super quickly when it go sorta low.

I plugged it into iBackupBot and I'm getting 74% full charge capacity after 449 cycles.

iPhones are supposed to be 80% at 500 cycles. :negative:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Bear in mind I'm an IT guy but I have almost no iPhone experience; could you explain how this works more in depth? The user adds his GV number to his own contact entry on his iPhone and then it'll send out the right caller ID to anyone he calls/texts with the stock iPhone apps?

Maybe it is better but it doesn't have the user's text history so he was instantly put off by that.

No, the other user's entries have no bearing on your phone's contact ID.

When you receive a text from someone, you can click Details next to the number.

Then the little get info icon.

Then create new or add to existing contact.

Which takes you to your contact screen which is very intuitive and familiar to most iPhone users nowadays.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty sure the guy is trying to change his outgoing caller ID which as far as I know isn't possible on iOS (at least without a jailbreak or whatever).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone's misunderstanding me. I found this article here:

http://lifehacker.com/5875247/how-to-improve-your-google-voice-experience-on-the-iphone

It says I can't make the iPhone have its Google Voice caller ID on the built-in dialer and text apps, unless the phone is jailbroken.

That article was written in 2012 though, and this seems like a more recent app that will do what I'm trying and doesn't mention jailbreaking as a requirement, anyone know if it'll work?: http://www.gvconnect.com/

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm sure that app does what it says, but it will still only do it within that app. It won't affect the stock phone/messages app.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why can't I block numbers on my iPhone? I have to add garbage numbers to my contact list as spam or do not answer instead.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

cowofwar posted:

Why can't I block numbers on my iPhone? I have to add garbage numbers to my contact list as spam or do not answer instead.

Um, Settings>Phone>Blocked?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

There is not. I know it's a user you're dealing with but it's time for him and everyone else on an iPhone to migrate away from GV.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mattavist posted:

There is not. I know it's a user you're dealing with but it's time for him and everyone else on an iPhone to migrate away from GV.

He's the only one in the company with it, I migrated him onto it because we issued him a corporate phone and I figured porting his number from Verizon to GV would be easier than Verizon to T-Mo. Welp..

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

eddiewalker posted:

Um, Settings>Phone>Blocked?

I swear to God this wasn't an option before but thanks. It's even on the info tab that you bring up from the recent call list. Weird.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a launch day 6 and noticed the battery seemed to run out super quickly when it go sorta low.

I plugged it into iBackupBot and I'm getting 74% full charge capacity after 449 cycles.

I'll have to check mine out. I have the same phone and it's been bad in the same way, with the power level jumping a lot at lower levels and occasionally shutting off at 20%. Recalibration by running it dead and charging it up didn't help either.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

2 years of discharging every day is pretty good for these batteries tbh. Battery technology just sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone heard if there's active malware out there for iOS?

My brilliant wife wasn't running the latest iOS 9 (the one with all the security updates) and a couple days ago "weird poo poo" started happening with her phone while on public wifi at her job.

So far a random photo has shown up in her photo roll, a selfie, the phone has been unlocked sitting at the springboard while it's in her pocket and she has it set to lock instantly, she started seeing a number of password reset requests showing up in her email, and this morning it started playing some random cartoon at max volume.

So it's pretty clear someone is loving with her, we'll be doing a factory reset tonight and see if it clears it up. What gets me is that there's apparently active remote exploits out there and I would have expected something like that to have made some headlines.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What version of a jail broken iOS is she running?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not jailbroken at all. Was running whatever iOS 9 was before 9.2.1, which we updated to two days ago.

Someone clearly broke in, I'm just super curious how they did it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

no, i don't think someone 'clearly broke in'. ios 0-days exist just like they do for any OS, but since JBing is so hard for people actively attacking it, i'm not sure root level access was achieved on an up to date OS without your knowledge. i'm guessing she was phished and someone is messing with her icloud backup or something to that effect. i highly doubt she ran in to an exploit in the wild that someone used just to mess with her, if you have something like that you use it to steal valuable information.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

See what her AirDrop settings are. Maybe she has it on "everyone" and someone was goofing around

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

See what her AirDrop settings are. Maybe she has it on "everyone" and someone was goofing around

Set to contacts only. AirDrop could explain the photo and maybe the video, but I'm not so convinced about unlocking the device and taking photos.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

To answer your question there's no malware for iOS that doesn't either require a jailbroken phone or physical access to the device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it all just sounds like her iCloud account was hacked. Have her change her password and turn on 2FA.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josh Lyman posted:

:spergin:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Josh Lyman posted:

A launch day 6 would be about a year and a half old at this point, right? I never ran any diagnostics on my 5c's battery, but I did notice that it started behaving like this when it got to be around that age. Seems normal, at least for iPhones.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

xzzy posted:

Set to contacts only. AirDrop could explain the photo and maybe the video, but I'm not so convinced about unlocking the device and taking photos.

If she has photo stream or ICPL turned on, sounds like someone's broken into her iCloud account if random photos are showing up that are not her pocket/purse. Change the password and trusted devices on icloud and probably set up 2FA as someone else said.

I don't think FMIP can unlock the screen remotely, but maybe if she downloaded some kind of weird app? Make sure there's nothing unexpected in Settings > General > profiles/device management. There's been a few enterprise app profiles that have been stolen and you can distribute malware that way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of unlocking, third party home button replacements could gently caress you up:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/05/error-53-home-button-iphone-brick/

quote:

“We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

She adds: “When an iPhone is serviced by an unauthorized repair provider, faulty screens or other invalid components that affect the touch ID sensor could cause the check to fail if the pairing cannot be validated. With a subsequent update or restore, additional security checks result in an ‘error 53’ being displayed … If a customer encounters an unrecoverable error 53, we recommend contacting Apple support.”

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Question for Apple folks from an android guy.
I just got some hearing aids from Costco that are "Smart Phone Compatible" but only Iphone. To connect these to and android phone you need a $200 dongle...gently caress that.
I am thinking about buying a used Iphone off CL/Ebay/Swappa just to run a single app so I can adjust these hearing aids on the fly. I don't need the phone for anything else, and will not use the camera/phone/games etc. Just need a not too nasty phone with a non-cracked screen so I can keep it at work/in my pocket to adjust the hearing aids. Carrier does not matter.
The compatible models are iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5. Also iPod Touch 5 and some iPads.

Question: If I buy a phone with a bad esn, can I still connect to the app store to download the app? Or can it be side-loaded or something? I have never had an iTunes account, and never owned an Apple product.
Looking at Ebay, looks like a 5c with a bad esn is around $60-120.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Bad ESN" usually means "stolen property" FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

withak posted:

"Bad ESN" usually means "stolen property" FYI.

Now now, it could mean "I thought it was lost so I used my insurance replacement, but then I found it in my couch cushions."