Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanted to beat him to death with both his dogs.

Hate those dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

computer parts posted:

The major twist was that those scenes were flashbacks without being readily apparent.

Yeah, that was slick. I didn't even realize that they were flashbacks until right after that last scene.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I STILL CANNOT loving BELIEVE TOM GAVE LIZ A DOG AFTER THEY HAD A loving DOG IN THE FIRST SEASON THAT EXISTED FOR ALL OF TWO SECONDS JAFLDJKSHDSJ

I haven't watched the last two episodes, does this new dog make an appearance again or has it been forgotten as well?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So..................... I'm the only one who actually got emotionally punched in the gut at the final scene, huh?
Also called it as a flashback at the start of the second scene because there is no way in hell even The Blacklist would try to explain Red traveling across the world back and forth that quickly.
Also gently caress that one guy who kept saying Comrade. He almost deserved that neck-shot more than Liz's assaulter.
And finally, dog with tongue permanently stuck out is best dog. gently caress the haters. It's just too bad that in order to keep the gravity of the situation in order to make the final scene impactful, there were no joke stories about Red giving the dogs to some poetically appropriate person.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
That might be one of my favorite episodes of this show yet. Cool heist adventures with Tom, Monk and his dogs were delightful, AND Mob violence leading into a RayRed brand nonsense monolog? drat, son.

Also Liz and the fbi did some stuff I guess.

DaveKap posted:

So..................... I'm the only one who actually got emotionally punched in the gut at the final scene, huh?
Also called it as a flashback at the start of the second scene because there is no way in hell even The Blacklist would try to explain Red traveling across the world back and forth that quickly.
Also gently caress that one guy who kept saying Comrade. He almost deserved that neck-shot more than Liz's assaulter.
And finally, dog with tongue permanently stuck out is best dog. gently caress the haters. It's just too bad that in order to keep the gravity of the situation in order to make the final scene impactful, there were no joke stories about Red giving the dogs to some poetically appropriate person.

No you weren't the only one, Red's scenes showing why Pitt had to die were really well done and dovetailed into the main plot nicely. That poor woman.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Started watching this the other day and I'm mid-way through Season 2 now. This show is terrible, just terrible. The worst of low-rent procedurals and spy dramas, rolled into one and headlined by a cast of passionless, banal idiots. That said, I will continue to watch this stupid show for James Spader and his loquacious, meandering grandpa monologues.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 10, 2016

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Skippy McPants posted:

Started watching this the other day and I'm mid-way through Season 2 now. This show is terrible, just terrible. The worst of low-rent procedurals and spy dramas, rolled into one and headlined by a cast of passionless, banal idiots. That said, I will continue to watch this stupid show for James Spader and his loquacious, meandering grandpa monologues.

Welcome to the club.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I feel like season 3 is easily the strongest season yet. Might not be saying a whole lot, but I feel like things have really been in a groove this year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

I feel like season 3 is easily the strongest season yet. Might not be saying a whole lot, but I feel like things have really been in a groove this year.

Yeah, I can't quite pinpoint why but I think it's because we've broken outside of the typical procedural model. That and everyone seems to realize that they're just helping Red and they've embraced the "help a demon to kill the Devil" aspect.

It might also be that there aren't any ~~ultra secrets~~ being thrown around, like Tom being a secret agent who was hired by Red and then turned by Berlin, or all the Cabal poo poo (they were still around this season obviously, but you saw their effects pretty clearly).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 10, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's either that or the Stockholm Syndrome is finally kicking in.

There hasn't been any ridiculous CGI or beyond stupid poo poo like a plane getting hit by a missle and just having one engine be on fire for a while. Also there aren't too many bad guys where I actively cheer for them and not the FBI like the Wilson episode in season 1.

edit: oh and of course no nuclear bombs have blown up in a city harbour making everything totally fine because it was under water.

Though the fact that they went for "Lizzie and Tom own a dog that's only seen in one scene and never explained or mentioned again" not once but twice now, and that the dog looked the same both times, is a very black mark against this season.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 10, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Though the fact that they went for "Lizzie and Tom own a dog that's only seen in one scene and never explained or mentioned again" not once but twice now, and that the dog looked the same both times, is a very black mark against this season.
I'm at the point where I actually think that's a joke by the producers. Just like her saying at the end of the previous episode "I'm giving up my child." to the adoption agency who obviously knows why she's calling and is probably wondering why she's saying it in such a stupidly dramatic way.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Liz's incompetence at making waffles is now my favorite thing that has happened on this show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I liked the Psycho reference.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Long hair guy!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Long hair guy!

Such a badass.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

When the paper towels caught fire all I could hear was yakkety sax. What a hilariously dumb episode. I wish I actually wrote out all my thoughts from the last one, considering the Tom betrayal was so telegraphed.
That said, DOGS!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't think even the writers have any clue from this point forward where they want to take this show. The Cabal poo poo wore thin, but at least it had a point, of sorts.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think even the writers have any clue from this point forward where they want to take this show. The Cabal poo poo wore thin, but at least it had a point, of sorts.

Honestly I think they moved through season 1 at a fairly breakneck speed and it made a lot of the goofiness less apparent. Season 2 felt FAR less focused and this season is only slightly less of a mess. After that the Cabal thing; FBI/Liz antics have been something of a unconvincing drag. I mean the show has her going back to her fake husband in this stupid will they won't they nonsense, now we have the same stupid poo poo with her pregnancy. You can almost feel the writers flailing around at this point, and they are pretty much coasting on the fact that Spader owns this character; still that only gets you so far. Personally I am looking forward to the eventual reveal of what Red's TRUE connection to Liz is, and I would laugh my rear end off if he really ends up being her father. Even though the show has bent itself backwards trying to dispel that idea, it feels like the idiotic twist we all deserve. The same way that I would put money on Liz's Russian spy mom being alive as the next big reveal.

I don't even hate watch this show, it just is.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Did Red set up the whole caper that resulted in Tom being double-crossed?

And, while it was funny as it played out with Leslie Jones in the waiting room I kept waiting for Red to lean it to her while she was yakking and give her one of those quiet, "I really miss going deep sea fishing in the waters off Bermuda and If you don't stop talking and leave I'm going to gut you like a blue marlin and leave you flopping on the floor gasping for air while you exsanguinate"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah the writers had to make changes and work Megan Boone's pregnancy into the storyline, but

quote:

The network has picked up The Blacklist for a fourth season, creator Jon Bokenkamp revealed Monday.

“We knew about that a while ago, it’s one of those things that’s hard to keep quiet. But yes, we’re renewed through the fourth season,” Bokenkamp said in “The Blacklist: Exposed,” a podcast interview. “Hopefully we don’t tank that out, we've got a lot of story to tell.”

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
'A lot of story to tell' should just be hours of Spader making up inane stories while he, Tom and beard guy in a season long montage of tearing down every criminal organization conviently leaving Red untouched and in control of everything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wish that the week to week plots of this show were about Dembe, Boz, and Reddington's other nameless mooks getting up to Ocean's Eleven style hijinks rather than the stupid FBI murder mystery schlock.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I said it before and I'll say it again: we need a show about reddington and dembe's entire criminal past leading up to the moment he turned himself in. Traversing the globe, telling stories, and making money. Put it on HBO, ramp up the writing, and call it the "concierge of crime." Instant gold with Spader leading the way and without Liz mucking up the fun stuff.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My favorite part of the show is despite the fact Red turned himself in and the FBI could burn him at any moment, instead they became his bitch. Along with half of the rest of the U.S. government.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Who doesn't work for Red's vast criminal organisation? It seemed a little bit too convenient to the plot that doctor guy should work for Red's mobile surgical unit, but then again, every plot point is a little too convenient in this show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm just glad that despite the fact that it looked like he was going to - that the episode didn't lapse into Red killing ~yet another guy~ in cold blood for retribution's sake. But it does really seem like the KGB mother being alive suggests an Irina Derevko clone. Too bad Candice Bergen's too old to play her - I'd love the Boston Legal crossover.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Octy posted:

Who doesn't work for Red's vast criminal organisation? It seemed a little bit too convenient to the plot that doctor guy should work for Red's mobile surgical unit, but then again, every plot point is a little too convenient in this show.

While I agree that Reddington has far too many plot convenient connections, in this one instance it does make sense. That guy was Liz's ex, the one she called to help out when Red got wounded back in season 2, and the original doctor took a bullet. If you recall, dude only agreed to help on the condition that he be paid an extravagant amount of monies. Mr. Kaplan was quite willing to oblige, but Liz warned him not to take it because taking Red's money would put him on the hook. He didn't listen to her.

But if you want to talk stupid plot conveniences; it sure was lucky that Tom just so happened to end up in the hospital where that guy worked, and while he was on shift no less!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 20, 2016

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

buddhanc posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again: we need a show about reddington and dembe's entire criminal past leading up to the moment he turned himself in. Traversing the globe, telling stories, and making money. Put it on HBO, ramp up the writing, and call it the "concierge of crime." Instant gold with Spader leading the way and without Liz mucking up the fun stuff.

Man this would be so great. They could take all his little stories from this show and actually play them out while allowing the Spaderman to Spaderman 'new' old stories about little hole in the wall places around the world with interesting features. Then shoot someone in the face while setting up storage lockers in red states with arsenals, cocaine stashes, and aging whiskeys.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm honestly baffled they even went with the "Reddington has his fingers in everything" route on that one other than the fact they needed Reddington to have something to say to Liz to make her keep the baby... which they could have done a zillion other ways.

See... what would have made a lot more sense (which I predicted but ended up being wrong about) was that the jewelry store guy got Tom off the hook because he would later come back and tell Tom that the only reason he's not in jail is because it's time to rat out his lovely thief friends so that he could get revenge... which he couldn't do if Tom was beholden to the cops or stuck in jail. You know, an interesting way to spin the plot about Tom, his ex, and the jewelry store security guard as a continuing B-story that gives Tom some great action scenes while Liz is brewing the baby.

Nope, simplify it cuz Megan Boone's preggers.

Also it's killing me how sexist they're making Ressler. He was actually getting to be more likable during the Cabal stuff but now he's saying, unsolicited at work, how he'd never give his baby up and now he's all "women always keep the baby, it's in their programming." Yeesh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Blacklist is crossing over with House of Cards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

computer parts posted:

Dembe: "Why don't you just give her that if she was intended to get it anyway?"

Red: "Because this way we can wrangle another season and a half out of her aimless search for Mommy." *burns the envelope*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

computer parts posted:

At this point every episode is just stealing major plot points from other TV shows and movies.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

computer parts posted:

I would totally watch a show that was just Spacey and Spader sitting in a fancy room, soliloquizing at each other for an hour.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Classic Bunny Lebowski kidnapping plot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HookShot posted:

At this point every TV show and movie is just stealing major plot points from other TV shows and movies.

ftfy

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Skippy McPants posted:

I would totally watch a show that was just Spacey and Spader sitting in a fancy room, soliloquizing at each other for an hour.

The upcoming Elvis v Nixion movie cast wrong

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Did they say anywhere why there is another break happening for the month of March?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Spader was on Fallon tonight, and told a very, very Reddington-esque story about things he and JFK Jr. did in the late 70's when they were young.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Gonz posted:

Spader was on Fallon tonight, and told a very, very Reddington-esque story about things he and JFK Jr. did in the late 70's when they were young.

I'm marginally convinced that the monologues he delivers as Red aren't scripted, and they just happened to film him talking off the cuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm marginally convinced that the monologues he delivers as Red aren't scripted, and they just happened to film him talking off the cuff.

Haha I told my friend the same thing. They just film Spader telling stories then create plots around them.

• Locked thread