Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Id love to creampie surprise marissa mayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Count Freebasie posted:

I miss Bennigan's and their disgustingly delicious Monte Cristo sandwich.

Worst food poisoning of my life. I was happy to see them close two months later.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

vyst posted:

Id love to creampie surprise marissa mayer

Nnnnhnhghuhyukhuykhyuk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Yahoo is bleeding money and she spent $1 million on a vanity book with pictures of her and some fluff text about how the yahoos will rise again. Meanwhile mass layoffs are becoming the norm there.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

It was across the street from a massive apartment complex filled with about 2,000 Indian people. I don't know if you've worked retail, but if you have then you already understand why that was problematic.

Also we didn't have a store manager for 7 months and they forced me to do all the managers tasks "temporarily" and didn't compensate my pay at all for doing poo poo that wasn't even technically my job. The entire company is run by a bunch of retards that did in fact make life miserable. It really is worth its own thread because of the sheer volume of bullshit I had to deal with. I ended up quitting after they reduced my hours to 3 hours a week every week until I quit (so they had no unemployment payment issues). Out of spite because i was too lazy to line up something else I came in for 3 months for 3 hours a week just as a "gently caress you". They also couldn't technically fire me due to their very specific policies and poo poo on how customer complaints were handled. Basically some guy called me a loving rear end in a top hat to my face and told me he was going to kill me unprovoked. So I told him to get out of the store or I would call the cops to remove him. That apparently warrants losing my income.

RadioShack crushes dreams

prejudiced: check
problem with authority: check
victim-complex: check

good luck, dreamer

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The_Franz posted:

Yahoo is bleeding money and she spent $1 million on a vanity book with pictures of her and some fluff text about how the yahoos will rise again. Meanwhile mass layoffs are becoming the norm there.

:aaaaa:
I could see doing some thing like that a couple of years ago might have been done to rally the troops, but that just happened? Way to broadcast your tone deafness to your employees and board members.

Interesting to note that no Yahoo! CEO has ever left on good terms.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

:aaaaa:
I could see doing some thing like that a couple of years ago might have been done to rally the troops, but that just happened? Way to broadcast your tone deafness to your employees and board members.

Interesting to note that no Yahoo! CEO has ever left on good terms.

Well really, what the hell are they supposed to do? There's no saving that company in the traditional way, the whole thing needs an overhaul from the ground up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
she just had to become an it company ceo to support her modelling career

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

evilmiera posted:

Well really, what the hell are they supposed to do?

i can tell you what you're not supposed to do and spending company making a book about yourself while you're firing your employees is about as bad as giving yourself a bonus while the company is crashing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

making a vanity book about yourself while your company is crashing is pretty much the equivalent to fiddling while rome burns in the business world

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Well really, what the hell are they supposed to do? There's no saving that company in the traditional way, the whole thing needs an overhaul from the ground up.

Well, has anyone ever just leveled with the staff of a company this size and come outright and said things are looking bleak? This brave face and lying bullshit fools no one, alienates the few smart ones that haven't left all ready.

Is it truly the hubris and bad judgement of Meyer or was Yahoo! always unsaveable. It's too late know now, but with all the talent at that company's disposal, somebody could've figured out how to turn things around.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

All I can see is someone cosplaying as a female Magneto. Just throw a cape and helmet on her and have some of those metal do-dads floating around and we've got ourselves a deviantart image that can get about 1000 hits an hour.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'm going to throw the company i work at into the mix. we've experienced a massive brain drain since the owner doesn't feel like coming into work anymore and he's filled all of the managerial positions with sycophants (including his literal mistress at the GM). he's gotten it in his head that we're switching systems and since he doesn't feel like coming into work, he's letting the managers go off into the wilderness to figure out how the system works.

nobody's been given any training, not even the managers. everything we've been taught has been derived from the managers hiding in their offices and stumbling around the system. the data department doesn't even know how to transfer our accounts from our old system yet, so their job is basically flipping a switch so the accounts automatically transfer over and praying to god that the accounts dont end up too hosed up from the transfer. meanwhile, the day to day maintenance of the office has gone to poo poo and the employees are probably 1-3 weeks away from open rebellion.

oh, by the way, the owner wants the entire system up and operational in the first week of march. we have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of accounts and he's adamantly refusing to okay any overtime for the data department to come in and work extra.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Roger Craig posted:

GoPro stock has dropped from $65 to about $10 in the last 5 months, so I would say they are probably in trouble.

GoPro's problem (like a lot of dumb tech companies) is that they have waaaaay too many employees for a relatively niche product. Their product is marketable and is actually quite good, but there's not a lot of reason to keep upgrading and buying new ones (especially once 4X is the norm and more affordable). I think they've tried to launch their own stupid youtube like service which of course is always a disaster. I don't see a lot of product lines where they can branch out either--and I don't think they should since it'll be a money sink disaster as well. Also being public was probably a super bad idea because ~expected returns~ or they'll have to start paying dividends.

If they could go back down to a small manageble size of a couple hundred employees or so they might stabilize and while price may not ever rise much again they'll start paying out dividends to keep em happy. I don't think they'll go down the drain though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

GoPro's problem (like a lot of dumb tech companies) is that they have waaaaay too many employees for a relatively niche product. Their product is marketable and is actually quite good, but there's not a lot of reason to keep upgrading and buying new ones (especially once 4X is the norm and more affordable). I think they've tried to launch their own stupid youtube like service which of course is always a disaster. I don't see a lot of product lines where they can branch out either--and I don't think they should since it'll be a money sink disaster as well. Also being public was probably a super bad idea because ~expected returns~ or they'll have to start paying dividends.

If they could go back down to a small manageble size of a couple hundred employees or so they might stabilize and while price may not ever rise much again they'll start paying out dividends to keep em happy. I don't think they'll go down the drain though.

They're a really great example of why the growth growth GROWTH!! style of silicon valley poo poo is retarded. Tech products by definition have an extremely limited market compared to like, coffee makers or sheet metal or lumber or something

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Larry Parrish posted:

They're a really great example of why the growth growth GROWTH!! style of silicon valley poo poo is retarded. Tech products by definition have an extremely limited market compared to like, coffee makers or sheet metal or lumber or something

Nah they just didn't find R&D and got undercut in their market by China. They stopped innovating which is death for a tech company. And to top it all off people carry a small easy to use camera around with them all the time now and the picture quality is almost as good as a cheap GoPro.

Idk why you think tech products have a limited market though when there are companies like Apple and Samsung selling hundreds of millions of baubles a year

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
All products are tech products.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Something Awful LLC

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Linkdin - How low can their stock go today - http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/LNKD

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Heh, get this, no one saw this coming: Something Awful LLC

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Microsoft

Every attempt to enter a consumer market has eked out low amounts of sales for huge amounts of advertising and investment - Zune, Xbox, Windows Phone 8, 10, Surface.

They have no market share of the growing bits of the industry, and are stuck with a shrinking desktop market, and the unprofitable low-end of the laptop market. They're unpopular with consumers and their only success is with business, and even all the new startups don't use them. Their current OS is only doing better than the disaster that was W8 because it's free, and it's still a bad product.

We've seen this exact situation before and it's Blackberry/RIM, except it'll take longer for them to fall because they're starting from a much higher place.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

RubberJohnny posted:

They're unpopular with consumers and their only success is with business

okay but counterpoint: that's been true since the early 90s

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Isn't a CEO being terrible an unspoken law of their job? To make high salaried employees resign/quit.

Like, Republican presidents are supposed to be awful so that Big government = Bad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The_Franz posted:

She's also gotten flack from acquiring failed startups that were run by some of her ex-Google co-workers and then shutting down the projects once they money has changed hands.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RubberJohnny posted:

Microsoft

Every attempt to enter a consumer market has eked out low amounts of sales for huge amounts of advertising and investment - Zune, Xbox, Windows Phone 8, 10, Surface.

They have no market share of the growing bits of the industry, and are stuck with a shrinking desktop market, and the unprofitable low-end of the laptop market. They're unpopular with consumers and their only success is with business, and even all the new startups don't use them. Their current OS is only doing better than the disaster that was W8 because it's free, and it's still a bad product.

We've seen this exact situation before and it's Blackberry/RIM, except it'll take longer for them to fall because they're starting from a much higher place.

That's the most retarded graph I've seen in ages.

Microsoft dominates the most stable segments of consumer as well as enterprise computing, and it's not losing them. It's not following the growth pattern of other companies, but that doesn't mean it's in crisis, it just means it's a mature company. If anything they may end up congratulating themselves for avoiding the worst of the tech bubble.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah I mean MS is a huge company pulling in billions across a wide spectrum of products, and Blackberry made blackberries and didn't innovate when the iPhone came out. Not really a fair comparison.

It's almost like comparing Sony to GoPro or something because hey both are tech companies and both make cameras.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

RubberJohnny posted:

Microsoft

This is almost certainly including phones which is really loving dumb.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Nnnnhnhghuhyukhuykhyuk

It wasn't a joke you baby back bitch poster

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fabricated posted:

tumblr makes money?

Only when you can sell it to yahoo

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

It wasn't a joke you baby back bitch poster

P sure he was just trying to turn you on by emulating the nughghheehyuhhuh laugh

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Irradiation posted:

This is almost certainly including phones which is really loving dumb.

Yeah their PC + laptop OS share is definitely more than 70-75% so that chart must be counting phones.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Nah they just didn't find R&D and got undercut in their market by China. They stopped innovating which is death for a tech company. And to top it all off people carry a small easy to use camera around with them all the time now and the picture quality is almost as good as a cheap GoPro.

Idk why you think tech products have a limited market though when there are companies like Apple and Samsung selling hundreds of millions of baubles a year
It's not that there's a limited market, but rather GoPro started off as a niche mountable camera for hikers/bikers/sports, and actually has very good optics and built well, but there isn't a lot of room in that sort of market to expand without spending a lot of money going way out of the way and out of their expertise with something that could just be an apple-watch esque flop. Apple and Samsung were almost always ginormous and have much more capital to go "hey we want to go start a harddrive line, or a phone line, or hell lets start building a theme park!" without it really mattering, and their whole branding wasn't specifically just niche ultra-durable sports mounted camera.

Also "innovating" is a really dumb "disruptive" buzzword in the industry. There are ton of companies doing well just updating and maintaining existing software or products, they just aren't ~special uber public unicorn companies~ that you hear about and they maintain a reasonable size workforce without overspending and overexpanding.

It's true though that everyone has smartphones, and GoPros were sort of the first selfie-stick but even then for what they do they're a lot superior to mounting a phone because they're suited for that and phones will probably never replace that. It's short sightedness on their part because it's obvious they'd have reached some saturation (especially with how durable and generally well made they are because... well that's the point of them) that needed to not overspend and overexpand and instead just entrench their position and keep competitive on price while slowly bringing out better/cheaper optics and editing software and such. And definitely don't go loving public on something like that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

That's more of a lovely CEO problem than it is Silicon Valley specific. A good CEO is going to push back against lovely investors/shareholders who are screaming that numbers on the annual report aren't bigger than last year and look at the bigger picture, a lovely CEO is going to cave. It just tends to thrive in Silicon Valley because you have a bunch of kids that need some fast cash and don't know any better so they jump in with venture capitalists who install exactly that kind of lovely CEO/advisor.

RubberJohnny posted:

Microsoft

This is exactly the kind of lovely lowest common denominator crap that has caused the retarded tech bubble we now have. Microsoft knows that they're able to make hand over fist on their products for business users which is why they don't gently caress around with that poo poo. Its all high margin low investment stuff that requires them to put out a new product that works every couple of years, it has steady sales and revenue attached to it.

The irony is that because they've got those core products for business users they're free to gently caress around with almost all their consumer segments and experiment way more than Apple does. They throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. Apple is now stuck to unveiling a slightly warmed over of the iphone each year or the shareholders are going to revolt, nobody gives a gently caress what Microsoft does with the consumer version of Windows anymore so they can gently caress around with it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Jailbrekr posted:

Blackberry Priv.

Check your Priv... YOUR BLACKBERRY PRIV I MEAN :newlol: :newlol: :newlol:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

P sure he was just trying to turn you on by emulating the nughghheehyuhhuh laugh

So do I need to keep this boner or not

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Saalkin posted:

Also I often drive by Blackberries empty rear end buildings. If other tech companies like google hadn't come here too, this city would be like every other southern Ontario shithole.

As if almost on queue they announced another round of layoffs and closures today. Only this time they're keeping the details to themselves.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Liquid Chicken posted:

Linkdin - How low can their stock go today - http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/LNKD

Sweet Jesus.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Playboy just released their first "new" non nude mag. They've got like a year, maybe 18 months left.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Roto-Rooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Paired-comparison (aka stack ranking) paralyzed that company. If you don't know what that is, watch Newsradio episode "Big Day".

Jimmy: Everybody gets an equal bonus of $400.
Dave: That sounds good, sir.
Jimmy: Except for one lucky person who gets a bonus of $3000, or as I like to call it, "The Big Bonus".
Dave: That's very generous of you, sir.
Jimmy: And also, one employee gets a bonus of $0, or as I like to call it "The Shaft".

Paired comparison in a nutshell.