Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'll check that out, thanks

I know one drive has only a few small things I want recovered that will fit on my NAS for now, so I'm going to grab those off, reformat that drive, and save the data from the other drive onto it.

e: So Recuva can't even select those drives because it pops up the Windows dialog "this drive needs to be formatted etc"

TestDisk might be able to restore the partitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Recently, due to a Variety Of Issues, it's become possible that I will lose some level of fine motor control. I'm generally fine with typing, but it's become increasingly difficult to use the mouse to click smaller objects, like the x to close a tab in a browser.

I got a Razer Taipan mouse a long time ago, and I've been generally happy with it. Since the fine motor control issues started, I've discovered the sensitivity clutch button, and it's been very helpful. As long as I press the mouse button set to sensitivity clutch, the sensitivity goes down to a (custom set) significantly lower level. So, general usage, I can use the mouse normally, but if I have to click something small, I can just hold the mouse button, boom, super easy to hit anything.

The problem is that, whenever I change the DPI in any way, an ugly green bar appears in the lower left hand of the screen. It's KINDA ANNOYING, and tech support says that there's no way to get rid of the DPI indicator.

Is there a SECRET way to do this? Or, barring that, is there another reasonably good mouse that can do something like sensitivity clutch, but doesn't have the large green ugly indicator? Or, barring that, is there something I can use on any given mouse to do the same thing?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Recently, due to a Variety Of Issues, it's become possible that I will lose some level of fine motor control. I'm generally fine with typing, but it's become increasingly difficult to use the mouse to click smaller objects, like the x to close a tab in a browser.

I got a Razer Taipan mouse a long time ago, and I've been generally happy with it. Since the fine motor control issues started, I've discovered the sensitivity clutch button, and it's been very helpful. As long as I press the mouse button set to sensitivity clutch, the sensitivity goes down to a (custom set) significantly lower level. So, general usage, I can use the mouse normally, but if I have to click something small, I can just hold the mouse button, boom, super easy to hit anything.

The problem is that, whenever I change the DPI in any way, an ugly green bar appears in the lower left hand of the screen. It's KINDA ANNOYING, and tech support says that there's no way to get rid of the DPI indicator.

Is there a SECRET way to do this? Or, barring that, is there another reasonably good mouse that can do something like sensitivity clutch, but doesn't have the large green ugly indicator? Or, barring that, is there something I can use on any given mouse to do the same thing?
What if you just uninstall the Razer drivers? See also the Mouse megathread.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

So I've got a 2010 MacBook and I'm started to get a lot of slowdown when using the newer MS Office apps that work has upgraded to. My hard drive is also almost full, about 80gig of the 250 is music and photos, if I transfer these to an external hard drive will I notice any improvement in the general running of the computer or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I'm asking here because theres plenty of guides about how to do it but nothing on actually why I should bother with all this.

Any advice?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

An alternative approach could be a foot pedal to simulate mouse clicks.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, the issue isn't clicking, it's the small, precise movement to bring the cursor to smaller objects on screen.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It is pretty common for a 'gaming' mouse to have those DPI buttons for getting those sick 360noscope headshots. Any of them with a DPI toggle option should work for you. I've got a Logitech 518 at work that has them next to the wheel, and they seem to work fine without popping up any obnoxious UI overlays.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Well, the issue isn't clicking, it's the small, precise movement to bring the cursor to smaller objects on screen.

I know absolutely nothing about your situation, but if it's precise movement maybe you would benefit from a full trackball set to a low sensitivity?

I just bought one of these and I feel like it's easier to be more precise then the mouth with my Arthritis.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Turtlicious posted:

I know absolutely nothing about your situation, but if it's precise movement maybe you would benefit from a full trackball set to a low sensitivity?

I just bought one of these and I feel like it's easier to be more precise then the mouth with my Arthritis.

Do they have anything for that lisp?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weavered posted:

So I've got a 2010 MacBook and I'm started to get a lot of slowdown when using the newer MS Office apps that work has upgraded to. My hard drive is also almost full, about 80gig of the 250 is music and photos, if I transfer these to an external hard drive will I notice any improvement in the general running of the computer or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I'm asking here because theres plenty of guides about how to do it but nothing on actually why I should bother with all this.

Any advice?

Moving contents off your hard drive will have zero impact on the performance of the machine.

If you have a mechanical drive, replacing it with a new SSD will make a world of difference however.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I don't want to pay to rent a modem/router from Comcast anymore. The Networking thread seems to be about stuff that's about six levels above that. What's by best price/performance option for both a combined modem and router and separate ones?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Schiavona posted:

I don't want to pay to rent a modem/router from Comcast anymore. The Networking thread seems to be about stuff that's about six levels above that. What's by best price/performance option for both a combined modem and router and separate ones?

IMO, you'll always be better off getting a modem and a separate consumer router. Most of it depends on your speed and what you want. The Motorola SB6141 is a popular choice and will handle all but the fastest speeds. I'm using an Arris CM820A and have had 0 issues from it. Arris bought Motorola so the new stuff is basically the same now. If you're doing higher level speeds Arris/Moto SB6183 is a fine choice. As for routers, the Archer C7 or C9 are good choices, you can't go wrong with the ASUS AC66U. I think Netgear's Nighthawk routers are really good too, but I swore off Netgear a while ago, so I can't comment.

If you don't want to deal with separate units and want a full combo unit, the SBG6580 (tops out at G) is the gateway version of the 6141, ans the SBG900AC (does support AC) is a good one for the faster speeds.

I'm actually about to sell off my Archer C8, if you're interested.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry to jump in but is there a reason the C7 is always recommended but not the C5? They seem identical but the C5 is $50 cheaper (at least where I am) and slightly newer.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry to jump in but is there a reason the C7 is always recommended but not the C5? They seem identical but the C5 is $50 cheaper (at least where I am) and slightly newer.

Comes down to speed. The C7 is 50% faster than the C5. If you don't need the C7 Wifi speeds, a C5 is fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gothmog1065 posted:

Comes down to speed. The C7 is 50% faster than the C5. If you don't need the C7 Wifi speeds, a C5 is fine.
It's also range. The C7 keeps up great speeds much farther, so if you're putting it in a large house or even like an apartment that has a lot of walls that block signal, the C7 will still be better than the C5. Obviously if you've got a small house or apartment then the C5 is fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a tiny studio apartment and I'm the only person in it. The only WiFi device is my 5x and friends laptops and phones from time to time so I think the C5 will be fine.

:tipshat:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
We're considering a NAS setup for backing up our home computer's hard drives- I'm looking at the Synology DS214. Is there any way to stream video content from my NAS to my TV? Because we currently use a WD LiveHub for this purpose, but it's dying and is on its last legs. It'd be great if there was any sort of way to stream from the NAS to our TV in some sort of easy way. We don't own any videogame consoles, which I understand might complicate things.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 27, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is sudden flickering in a ~5 year old LCD monitor a sign that it's failing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

dis astranagant posted:

Is sudden flickering in a ~5 year old LCD monitor a sign that it's failing?

Maybe, since it could be the caps going bad or the backlight, but the cable is the first thing to check.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
My PC build runs really well, but Windows Vista support ends in 2017. So I'll get a new Windows this year, Before installing it I want to do any major hardware upgrades I might want in the future before that to ensure the install is fresh.

Currently I have a AMD Athlon II X4 2.9 GHz and my motherboard is a ASUS M4A77TD that supports Phenom II and Athlon II. I'd like to buy a Phenom II X4 or X6 at 3.2 Ghz or more, the maximum power CPUs this motherboard supports. That would cost about $60-90 used. And of course I'll sell the AMD Athlon II X4 on eBay too, maybe worth at least $20.

I'm confident that my PC as-is can handle Win 7-10 without problems, but would 0.3 faster speed and 2 extra cores feel any faster than what I have now? Would it be worth a risky CPU replacement operation and the cost?

Schiavona posted:

I did the same thing twice: one a few years ago and another one later when I had to upgrade to a new DOCSIS device. Comcast tried to trick me into renting from them again by sending me an auto-renew email link, but I called them right away and stopped the order. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/comcast-email-alert-dont-click-that-link-121214.html
They're being sued for this chicanery, but after you upgrade watch out for crap like this.

Comcast has a list of devices they say they support. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ Having one might help your inevitable support calls go a bit better, so look for ones with features you want. The first time I bought a modem I simply bought the same model Comcast had given me. When I upgraded, I looked at the list and compared reviews, prices, and brand reputation to find the cheapest, best one. I have no fear of used modems, but I recommend it only if the savings are significant compared to a NIB one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ema Nymton posted:

My PC build runs really well, but Windows Vista support ends in 2017. So I'll get a new Windows this year, Before installing it I want to do any major hardware upgrades I might want in the future before that to ensure the install is fresh.

Currently I have a AMD Athlon II X4 2.9 GHz and my motherboard is a ASUS M4A77TD that supports Phenom II and Athlon II. I'd like to buy a Phenom II X4 or X6 at 3.2 Ghz or more, the maximum power CPUs this motherboard supports. That would cost about $60-90 used. And of course I'll sell the AMD Athlon II X4 on eBay too, maybe worth at least $20.

I'm confident that my PC as-is can handle Win 7-10 without problems, but would 0.3 faster speed and 2 extra cores feel any faster than what I have now? Would it be worth a risky CPU replacement operation and the cost?

Do not purchase a new AMD chip. Either keep your hardware as is, or buy a low end Intel chip (i3 or even Pentium) and motherboard and get significantly improved performance. You'd just be wasting your money buying a 7 year old processor for barely any improvement.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Moving to a slightly faster X4 CPU is a complete waste of time. A X6, assuming you can find one for a non-crazy price, is only slightly better. Honestly you're better off selling it all and going to an Intel combo instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ema Nymton posted:

Switch to intel if you plan on making any kind of hardware upgrade. You're basically at the end of the line with AMD.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
:sigh: I thought that might be the case. What's worse is that I'm an AMD stockholder.

I bought some shares in AMD stock when it fell to $5 some years ago, hoping that "Bulldozer" would bring the price back up. Today they're worth 2 bucks. :arghfist::cry:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Maybe, since it could be the caps going bad or the backlight, but the cable is the first thing to check.

It's dead. Spent half an hour fighting with the split second it stays on to get things switched back to my integrated video. RIP old-rear end monitor, hello older-rear end CRT til a replacement comes in.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I want a media drive to store movies and poo poo on. I thought about getting a 4gb WD Blue but I don't know if I trust the reliability. Will a WD Red NAS HD work fine in a desktop? Or should I just do as I always have and bite the bullet and buy a black again? (Have two 1tb blacks of different models)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bum the Sad posted:

I want a media drive to store movies and poo poo on. I thought about getting a 4gb WD Blue but I don't know if I trust the reliability. Will a WD Red NAS HD work fine in a desktop? Or should I just do as I always have and bite the bullet and buy a black again? (Have two 1tb blacks of different models)
None of the statistics consumers have access to have ever shown a difference in reliability between the different colors of WD drive. At those prices I'd definitely get the Blue. Definitely don't get a Black for storage, you could just buy two Blues and RAID1 them at that price. Or three and RAID5 for shittons of capacity, reliability, and enough performance.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok thanks for that I was about to buy a 2Tb black thinking it was better for games and stuff. I'll buy a blue then. Is there any easy way of transferring everything from my current 1TB drive to the new one or will I have to buy something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RBX posted:

Ok thanks for that I was about to buy a 2Tb black thinking it was better for games and stuff. I'll buy a blue then. Is there any easy way of transferring everything from my current 1TB drive to the new one or will I have to buy something?

A Black probably would be better for playing games off of, it's just not going to be more reliable for data, as all models have the same reliability. But if you need more space for games in a desktop, consider buying a large SSD to put games on and keeping your platter drive for other stuff.

You can get a 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for $155 these days.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

melon cat posted:

We're considering a NAS setup for backing up our home computer's hard drives- I'm looking at the Synology DS214. Is there any way to stream video content from my NAS to my TV? Because we currently use a WD LiveHub for this purpose, but it's dying and is on its last legs. It'd be great if there was any sort of way to stream from the NAS to our TV in some sort of easy way. We don't own any videogame consoles, which I understand might complicate things.

The WD LiveHub should be able to connect to the NAS through your network and stream media from it. You just configure network shares on the NAS. Not sure the LiveHub is a great all around option for this, but afaik it works. My suggestion would be FireTV + Kodi setup with NFS shares to access the content. I don't know the specifics of the livehub, but I am guessing it uses a DLNA server and transcodes media from your PC or built in HDD which can result in quality loss where Kodi should stream items in pretty much any format natively.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 2, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RBX posted:

http://supportdownloads.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119&lang=en

Use that to clone from one drive to another.

Also don't get the Red drives unless they're going into a NAS. They are identical hardware wise, the only difference is firmware changes.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
This is a really weird situation, but I'd appreciate any help. Due to some really stupid decisions in the ancient past, our in-house software is hardcoded to only use the HP LaserJet 4 driver and this won't be changed any time soon. One of our teams recently reorganized so that all of their members are now working remotely, from home offices etc. in the field ,but the printers they bought aren't compatible with that driver. Their current workaround is to print to a compatible printer at our main office, have someone scan that document and then email it to them as a PDF; aside from being a really stupid workflow, they are frequently dealing with sensitive information and/or client financial data, so we're looking for a better solution.

Are there any color HP MFPs that are compatible with the LaserJet 4 driver specifically (even for basic printing)? My idea would be to setup two printer objects, one using the universal print driver and one using the LaserJet 4 driver, that way they could have multifunction capabilities in general and also print from our software when necessary.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

plainswalker75 posted:

This is a really weird situation, but I'd appreciate any help. Due to some really stupid decisions in the ancient past, our in-house software is hardcoded to only use the HP LaserJet 4 driver and this won't be changed any time soon. ...
Maybe consider setting up a box running CUPS. You can set up a virtual printer in it that prints the received postscript to a file, or even creates a PDF, and then process it from there. There are some significant downsides to this plan including how amazingly, horrifyingly hacky it is, but if you get PDF output from whatever you printed, then you can just throw it any old printer without a problem.

Also, you have to do some seriously horrifying poo poo to actually make yourself dependent on a specific printer driver, so also consider having your developer team violently reeducated in the ways of printing.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Can anyone recommend an adapter to turn an old ide drive into an external? I had one ages ago that had an unreliable power supply, and all the ones I'm looking at now have reviews that make the power supplies sound downright dangerous.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Davoren posted:

Can anyone recommend an adapter to turn an old ide drive into an external? I had one ages ago that had an unreliable power supply, and all the ones I'm looking at now have reviews that make the power supplies sound downright dangerous.

I have run one of these for years 24/7 on my WHS box as a backup device, and it's both very well made and seems to have a beefy power supply with good quality cabling. It's not cheap, though.

Vantec NexStar 3 3.5" IDE to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (Midnight Blue) - Model NST-360U2-BL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-145-132

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'll second vantec as being one of the better hdd enclosure manufacturers. Having no problems with two of them

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Davoren posted:

I really like my vantec 2.5" sata dock. I used to have a 3.5" ide but it was always kinda big and heavy and required a power brick, I simply didn't feel like it was a good option for portable bulk storage. If you just need to read data from old drives without cracking open your case every time I would get a ide/usb dock instead.

In addition, I hoard old hardware and I don't even have any ide drives left. I am impressed you have a living ide drive, I think putting it in an enclosure and submitting it to bumps as your carry it is a sure way to kill the old hard drive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crotch Fruit posted:

I really like my vantec 2.5" sata dock. I used to have a 3.5" ide but it was always kinda big and heavy and required a power brick, I simply didn't feel like it was a good option for portable bulk storage. If you just need to read data from old drives without cracking open your case every time I would get a ide/usb dock instead.

In addition, I hoard old hardware and I don't even have any ide drives left. I am impressed you have a living ide drive, I think putting it in an enclosure and submitting it to bumps as your carry it is a sure way to kill the old hard drive.

I have a box full of working 200GB or so working ide drives. I have a 245MB Seagate that still works fine too, so I wouldn't consider it that surprising.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm purely interested in anything suitable for reading data from old drives, be that a dock or cable or box, thanks for the vantec recommendation, I'll check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Recommendations on a decent 450-500W power supply? Supply in my media center gave up the ghost. I've swapped in a working unit, but its older and I don't trust it to last long. I don't need high wattage, but I don't mind paying for quality. I know XFX, Seasonic, etc. are usually good, just wondered if anyone else has stepped up their game (or if any of the kings are bad now).