Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, clearly some apps were not tested using the Remote app to enter text. DailyMotion crashes pretty easily if you type quickly because it is trying to search on every key press and I guess it thinks you wouldn't be typing that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

killa-pope posted:

That's irritating but not horrible. Same as it was on the old app, but it seems to load faster and hang less so there's that. Maybe there will be a graphical redesign for next season.

But is anybody else having problems with the feeds jumping back to the beginning? Both the RDS and SNE feeds for the Habs game did this after a few minutes. Stream is fine on the iPad app (PiP is awesome!)

It's completely broken for me on some streams, refuses to play others, etc. Unusable on day one. Hope they fix their poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can't play either stream of Colorado vs Chicago now, on anything. Not on pc, xbone, xb360, iPad, android, nor apple tv. Pissed off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Can't play either stream of Colorado vs Chicago now, on anything. Not on pc, xbone, xb360, iPad, android, nor apple tv. Pissed off.

Yeah, at this point it's just MLBTV loving up their poo poo. Bad day one performance. It's odd because it didn't start off too terribly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doublepost, apologies. Has there been any news or rumours about a Lynda.com app? That would be absolutely swell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the last two days the YT app doesn't go to the info screen anymore, and starts playing the video when you click (rather than doing that when you press play). Does a single day go by without Google messing with and breaking something on this app.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

For the last two days the YT app doesn't go to the info screen anymore, and starts playing the video when you click (rather than doing that when you press play). Does a single day go by without Google messing with and breaking something on this app.

God people, just use AirPlay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because the app was working fine until they keep breaking it, and what's the point of anyone buying an Apple TV 4 if the answer is use AirPlay? AirPlay is at best a 'final resort' and cocks up plenty and not everything can run in background with it anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know this is a popular opinion, but quite frankly I didn't pay $200 for a TV gadget to then have to work my phone or laptop into the equation. I know this is a pragmatic solution but that's a terrible precedent to set.

edit: That sounded way more argumentative than I meant it to, sorry.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

EL BROMANCE posted:

This has always been the behavior for me... what kind of info screen were you seeing previously?

I've tried using AirPlay but it can get annoying as many things can cut out the video being played, multitasking and opening another app that has video playing, or trying to take a picture. It's definitely not the best experience.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cawd Rud posted:

This has always been the behavior for me... what kind of info screen were you seeing previously?

Same here. Granted I've only had mine for about a month, but it's been like that since I got it (I watch a lot BBC shows of dubious provenance).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I know this is a popular opinion, but quite frankly I didn't pay $200 for a TV gadget to then have to work my phone or laptop into the equation. I know this is a pragmatic solution but that's a terrible precedent to set.

I'm with you. Airplay for me is unreliable, sometimes jumpy, sometimes just uncooperative. Plus I end up having to dedicate a device to it while it's doing its thing. I'm excited to have a device with apps so that I don't have to do airplay.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Why the gently caress am I using my phone when I've just paid $200 for this poo poo? If that was the case my old Roku 3 can accept the "beam this poo poo to the TV" thing too. Honestly we shouldn't have to settle for this poo poo.

And not only that my airplay drops all the loving time. There are routinely times where I'm trying to watch NFL games and I have to reinitiate airplay which is both equally annoying and might cause me to miss a huge play.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How strange that we seem to have had different versions. For me:

Pressing play/pause: takes you into the video like it always used to on ATV 3

Pressing the clicker: takes you to a screen where you can see some useful things like the channel it's on (cos you only see that in some views), the description, related videos plus a bunch of options such as Like/Dislike, Add/remove to playlist etc. It was nothing amazing but the playlist functions were useful.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is the new ATV worth the upgrade from the old one? Now that's it has been out for awhile, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything. Right now I'm pretty happy with what my current one does. I mostly just watch Netflix, HBO, and sometimes use the other cable channel apps (like Fx and all that). I know it has the integrated search, but I usually know what I'm going to watch before I turn the TV on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you want an auto playing playlist on YouTube, just hit play and let the videos go in order, you have to use the app. Remote on a phone does help, but still...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I use ClickToPlugin which has playlist support. It just continues airplaying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haggins posted:

Is the new ATV worth the upgrade from the old one? Now that's it has been out for awhile, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything. Right now I'm pretty happy with what my current one does. I mostly just watch Netflix, HBO, and sometimes use the other cable channel apps (like Fx and all that). I know it has the integrated search, but I usually know what I'm going to watch before I turn the TV on.

Some apps are the same still (FX being one, most of the network tv apps) while others are complete rebuilds of varying quality. The HBO app is pretty, although I find the text hard to read on a small screen (I'm sure it's far more legible if i had my plasma here), Netflix has a fair amount of people annoyed as to where it puts your watching list - it's right at the bottom after all the categories. Doesn't bother me much, but it's a bit daft.

Apps will continue to get better, I dig it. Remote is amazing, and can control your TV volume and standby instinctively without being taught codes or even when it's not hooked up via HDMI. Clever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the remote, I just got my first message that it was at 20% battery.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Man, if you don't have a subscription to Netflix or Hulu active, this thing crashes down to Earth pretty hard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Craptacular! posted:

Man, if you don't have a subscription to Netflix or Hulu active, this thing crashes down to Earth pretty hard.

I primarily use it as a Plex client, but somehow the network cable at the server end has been killed so it's down and... I agree, you need *something* to make it fun. Everything is working against me, as my ISP has awful traffic management in place that kills streams it hasn't whitelisted in seconds, and the good fun stuff from the US like HBO naturally isn't whitelisted. Air playing across wifi from my MacBook Air (on wireless, but all hardware is in the same room and on 130mbps) is a joke, its laggy as hell and running something in VLC crashes the stream for some reason.

So I'm back with Netflix for a bit, ha!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Plex makes it own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plex makes it own, and if you have an HDHomeRun it owns for that too. I just bought Channels.app despite the high price tag, just to separate my HDHomeRun from my Plex server. I didn't find the Plex HDHR plugin's look that appealing and Channels is pretty nice. I also find that NHK World is fun to watch when I just want noise on in the background, Youtube has plenty of live stuff, UnTwitched fills my need for nerds playing games. Basically I've got pretty much everything I need to cut the cable even if you cut out Netflix or Hulu.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'll second channels.app as being good even for the price. The waf is high, and they are continually updating the app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had no idea that exists! Buying immediately!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Plex makes it own, and if you have an HDHomeRun it owns for that too. I just bought Channels.app despite the high price tag, just to separate my HDHomeRun from my Plex server. I didn't find the Plex HDHR plugin's look that appealing and Channels is pretty nice. I also find that NHK World is fun to watch when I just want noise on in the background, Youtube has plenty of live stuff, UnTwitched fills my need for nerds playing games. Basically I've got pretty much everything I need to cut the cable even if you cut out Netflix or Hulu.

Yes, Channels is expensive, but if you have an HDHomeRun it's so so worth the money. And they do keep updating it. I don't know if the rewind capability was there to start or if it was recently added but it owns. I just discovered it by accident last night when I missed some dialog forgetting I was watching live TV and it worked.

Honestly, if it weren't for College Football and Monday Night Football on ESPN, I'd have zero reason for cable at all. Most of the "I MUST WATCH" shows are either on Hulu or I can buy it on iTunes/Amazon Prime (I also have a fireTV I could hook up if I needed to). Worst case, I wait until the season pops up as an Amazon Prime free show or on Netflix.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I gritted my teeth and bought Channels (that is a steep price) because yes having a wireless HDHR tuner you can tote around is pretty great. My free access to Hulu quit the same day so suddenly the box seemed much more "expensive" if just for a moment.

But yes, Channels and Plex are top two app spots for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm you guys have me interested in an HDHR now. Only problem is that my OTA reception seems kinda flaky with some channels just not coming in for poo poo occasionally. I have one of those non amplified terk antennas that looks like the tail of an arrow.

Thinking of getting one of these: Winegard FL5500A FlatWave https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BN5Z2WM and bundling it with an HDHR.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I won't go too in depth because it's been discussed a bunch in the cable cutting thread, but the major benefit to me of the hdhr was that I could run the antenna where it got good reception and then run Ethernet from there. My tv doesn't have great reception, but where my router is has great line of sight.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
An app store update to FoxNow (Fox's VOD system, no subscription required I believe) has added integration with Siri's voice search. So if you look up, say, The X-Files, you'll see a FoxNow button next to Hulu and iTunes. I think unlike Netflix/Hulu/etc which offer to install the app for you, you may need to have the app installed already to see it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I switched countries to install the Fox app and I've been watching XFiles and such without a subscription since I'm in Canada. I dig it.

I've had episodes just stop playing and skip to the next while mid-episode though but I'm chalking that up to some funky region-unblock garbage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is the 32GB sufficient if I don't plan on gaming? On average how large are the TV apps like ESPN, FOX, Hulu, etc?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought the 64gb just in case I regretted going smaller and eh, this thing doesn't feel like it's going to fill up any time soon. 32 should be fine.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is the 32GB sufficient if I don't plan on gaming? On average how large are the TV apps like ESPN, FOX, Hulu, etc?

32 should be fine unless you want to have every game out there installed. I bought at 64 at launch, but when I went to upgrade my bedroom one, I just did an Open Box (at Best Buy - $129!) deal for a 32 gig.

As you can see, each app is pretty small.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's what I figured. Those apps are basically just fancy web pages. Thanks guys!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I switched countries to install the Fox app and I've been watching XFiles and such without a subscription since I'm in Canada. I dig it.

I've had episodes just stop playing and skip to the next while mid-episode though but I'm chalking that up to some funky region-unblock garbage.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's just Fox. Happens across platforms and networks.

You know, before you go troubleshooting for a problem out of your control.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The new version of tvOS that is currently in beta allows dictation as a text entry method.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I cope just fine but the more I use the remote the more I feel like it is bad.

Long press the screen button for sleep, "Sleep, Cancel" comes up. I press the clicky to confirm sleep, it slides to cancel. poo poo like that.

Just super annoying at times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really wish the Youtube app had more options in the swipe-down menu. What's the point of recommending me videos if I'm not able to go to the user's channel afterwards or pretty much do anything. Swipe-down menu should have an option to act on the video or otherwise subscribe or at least view the user's channel. I feel like I bitch about the app a lot but it really feels like they don't use these things before they release them. It can't possibly be that hard to code in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it is pretty sad that I have to search for a channel name to subscribe after it suggests a video.