Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My condolences.

Congrats on becoming project lead to another game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My condolences.

Congrats on becoming project lead to Rome 2.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I saw that HOI4 anime Hitler portrait so I'm positive its going to be a dating sim where the Japanese school girls also transform into tanks and fight battles.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I saw that HOI4 anime Hitler portrait so I'm positive its going to be a dating sim where the Japanese school girls also transform into tanks and fight battles.

I think Red Alert 3 already covered that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

Well, they've already had girls turning into ships and girls turning into fighter planes, so it's only logical.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You jest, but Rome 2: World of Darkness is going to be the best RPG since Runemaster.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ArchangeI posted:

Well, they've already had girls turning into ships and girls turning into fighter planes, so it's only logical.

With how popular Kancolle is right now, this is the right moment to seize the opportunity with a marketed tie-in! Carpe diem!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

You jest, but Rome 2: World of Darkness is going to be the best RPG since Runemaster.

Have they said anything yet about reaching out to a dev for that IP?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Have they said anything yet about reaching out to a dev for that IP?

Paradox bought the WoD IP last year.

Carthage burns.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Demiurge4 posted:

Paradox bought the WoD IP last year.

I think he means have they talked about doing anything with it yet.

Waiting for Obsidian's take on Demon: the Descent, myself. :toot:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Today's HOI4 dev diary has now been posted. Seems like they really are going beyond focusing just on combat though it remains to be seen if diplomacy is relevant beyond the first 3 or 4 years as everyone gets set to kick each other's teeth in.

But more importantly the game is now offically in Beta. So we are one step closer to seeing the light of day.

Still don't know which game is going to get released first though...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Today's HOI4 dev diary has now been posted. Seems like they really are going beyond focusing just on combat though it remains to be seen if diplomacy is relevant beyond the first 3 or 4 years as everyone gets set to kick each other's teeth in.

But more importantly the game is now offically in Beta. So we are one step closer to seeing the light of day.

Still don't know which game is going to get released first though...
Link?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-43rd-development-diary-5th-of-february-2016.906667/

I'm posting from a phone so hopefully that works. If not I imagine the thread will be on the first page of their forums.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
So, 1. Paradox will develop Victoria 3 after they get a "champion" to lead the project. 2. Groogy posted "Vicky is Mine, Podcat's and Wiz favorite game" a month ago when they released the christmas V2 patch. 3. Wiz is transferred to a new pdx project he can't talk about.

I want to believe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all of paradox's warlocks first have to break the nine seals to summon forth the economy code for victoria 3

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Psychotic Weasel posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-43rd-development-diary-5th-of-february-2016.906667/

I'm posting from a phone so hopefully that works. If not I imagine the thread will be on the first page of their forums.

quote:

Then finally I am happy to let you know that our Beta submission was approved yesterday, so we are now officially in Beta. I can't give you any release dates yet, but this is one of the last big steps to nailing one down and saying that the project is on course.

IT'S HAPPENING

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Does anyone else think that Crusader Kings II feels really slow at the fastest speed now? Like it feels so much slower thanks to the newest patches.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dreylad posted:

all of paradox's warlocks first have to break the nine seals to summon forth the economy code for victoria 3

If only they could stop accidentally killing each other with arcane lightning beams, we'd already have V3!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Trogdos! posted:

So, 1. Paradox will develop Victoria 3 after they get a "champion" to lead the project. 2. Groogy posted "Vicky is Mine, Podcat's and Wiz favorite game" a month ago when they released the christmas V2 patch. 3. Wiz is transferred to a new pdx project he can't talk about.

I want to believe.

Victoria's the next franchise up for a sequel, too. I think it's a fairly to moderately safe bet, unless Rome 2 is suddenly back on the table.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Didn't Wiz also say he tried to fix VII's economy when he first showed up at paradox? Maybe they decided he should get his chance after all?

Also, August release get hype!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Thanks. I did a google search and it didnt come up, and I hate trying to go to their forums because they are a hellhole.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's not that bad if you know what to look for. It marks threads with posts from Paradox people with their logo and once you're in the thread you can click "show only dev responses" to only see the OP and Paradox posts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Groogy has said he'll work on Vicky3 once he is done with CK2. When that is, is another question.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
People here greatly exaggerate how bad the paradox forums are. Sure, there's lots of idiots and nationalists, but the majority of posters are fine, or at least inoffensive, and bad posts get dogpiled with disagrees.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

Didn't Wiz also say he tried to fix VII's economy when he first showed up at paradox? Maybe they decided he should get his chance after all?

Also, August release get hype!

Yeah I think he also mentioned that it broke him trying. Although maybe building it from scratch might be easier than trying to fix the existing system.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other games that have ever simulated a world population and economy the way that Victoria did? It seems like most games tend to abstract either one or both of those elements, even games that are actually based around trade/economics like the Anno series.

I just really like how Vicky lets you really see the impact of conflict on your nation. The soldiers in your army aren't some abstract "manpower" value, but actually drawn from your population, and the supplies and such that they need are real goods being produced (although they do seem to be magically teleported to your armies no matter where they are - it would be interesting if Vicky had supply line mechanics like HOI), so full mobilization has a significant impact both in terms of just how many people DIE, but also because they aren't working the factories that are producing the ammo and food that they're going to need to fight. It's a lot more interesting to me to see how everything is interconnected like that, rather than most strategy games where it's just like "build one unit of spearmen, costs 2 gold per turn".

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Have we seen the UK national focus tree in any of the dev diaries or interviews or whatever?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Isn't that from the "New Hordes" mod or something?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Have we seen the UK national focus tree in any of the dev diaries or interviews or whatever?

WWW has featured Britain fairly heavily (though it focuses primarily on Germany, for some reason). I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there's your standard research/nuke, diplomatic manoeuvring and rearmament branches, and a "reinforce the empire" branch which I think has you building industry and fortifications in the dominions/other colonial areas.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Empress Theonora posted:

If you watch the World War Wednesday streams you will occasionally see Johan flip through it or discuss some of the options. I don't know of anything else off hand, I don't recall there being any dev diaries at least.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

WWW has featured Britain fairly heavily (though it focuses primarily on Germany, for some reason).

Because the British player is doing nothing but getting ready for an Invasion that hasn't happened yet and Germany is balls deep in Russia?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Because the British player is doing nothing but getting ready for an Invasion that hasn't happened yet and Germany is balls deep in Russia?

Maybe! :argh:

Though the Russian campaign is really dull actually and babyface Rommel spends most of his time explaining how the division designer works for the fifth/sixth/seventh time.

Johan's got to be up to something that keeps him too busy to micro his African front properly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speaking of WWW, podcat posted a bunch of answers to questions people asked on the stream here.

podcat posted:

[2016-02-03 14:52:38] <Kippielewin> @Paradoxinteractivewhats the enddate of the Game?

- you get a score screen 1948, but you can keep playing. I'v run a game to 1997 ;D

podcat posted:

[2016-02-03 14:59:35] <Baltorin1> @Paradoxinteractive, when does technology stop? what if you continue playing after the end of the world war?

- you will eventually run out of techs if you continue playing after the war, but imo this is better than game just ending whiel you are trying to do something.

:siren: :siren:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Speaking of WWW, podcat posted a bunch of answers to questions people asked on the stream here.

podcat posted:

[2016-02-03 14:52:38] <Kippielewin> @Paradoxinteractivewhats the enddate of the Game?

- you get a score screen 1948, but you can keep playing. I'v run a game to 1997 ;D

podcat posted:

[2016-02-03 14:59:35] <Baltorin1> @Paradoxinteractive, when does technology stop? what if you continue playing after the end of the world war?

- you will eventually run out of techs if you continue playing after the war, but imo this is better than game just ending whiel you are trying to do something.

:siren: :siren:

This is cool and good.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 5, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is cool and good.

Yeah, for real! Like even ignoring goofy poo poo like playing into the tech-less far future or whatever, it's just nice to know you won't have to worry about the game just cutting you off in mid-war (even if you aren't scored for it).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow that makes the peace conferences and all the peacetime options a lot more interesting too. There'll undoubtedly be tons of mods to extend the tech tree well past WW2 too.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Will everything continue to work indefinitely?

What I mean by this is that in my Kingdom of Spain KR WC game I had to go in edit all the nation files so I could release puppets after 1970.

This is important to me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Will everything continue to work indefinitely?

What I mean by this is that in my Kingdom of Spain KR WC game I had to go in edit all the nation files so I could release puppets after 1970.

This is important to me.

You could do this in HOI3, and before the Semper Fi expansion started capping techs, the tech tree would go in infinitely.

The problem was that the game's mechanics didn't work well to reflect modern conflicts or geo-politics and after you've crushed all your opponents by ~1950 there was nothing to do.

HOI4 looks to be a little more fleshed out so maybe it will be more flexible and accommodating? (Hello Cold War DLC)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Can anyone recommend a good alternate history mod for EU4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Empress Theonora posted:

Go nuts.