Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Having no experience building computers or even knowing what a bios was, I finally managed to get my own hackintosh working based on what people had successfully configured already. I was originally looking at an iMac but I am more than happy just to have El Capitan running on a gtx 970 (and saving a thousand dollars too).

The only issue that tripped me up was not knowing to type the boot command for nv_disable=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

AMD GPUs are complicated. I'll talk to a guy who know a lot about AMD and get back to you.

Thank you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I did some Googling and wanted to re-check: a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 is still the go-to for inexpensive plug-and-play wifi, right?
Honestly I have been having issues with getting it to work properly. It seems it doesn't come with a locale, which I think might be causing my problems with imessage, though I also have a weird motherboard so who knows.

What I would really like to know is if the BCM94360CD PCI adapters still work. I'm seeing reports that they don't anymore.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Generic Monk posted:

How do you go about pulling the values? Might try this sometime.

This tool will do it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/278-imessage-debug/

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Honestly I have been having issues with getting it to work properly. It seems it doesn't come with a locale, which I think might be causing my problems with imessage, though I also have a weird motherboard so who knows.

What I would really like to know is if the BCM94360CD PCI adapters still work. I'm seeing reports that they don't anymore.

If the card inside the adapter is a genuine Apple BCM94360CD card, they still work.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.10.3 is out. Here's a beta web driver to tide you over http://us.download.nvidia.com/WFAUiLIMJLVLw0fN0JGmeEp1gATz9Gze/WebDriver-346.03.05b02.pkg

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New final WebDriver for 10.10.3 http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.05f01/WebDriver-346.03.05f01.pkg

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
No good on the 390x? I'm starting to think I'm going to need to spend more on a less capable nVidiot card :/

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Annorax posted:

No good on the 390x? I'm starting to think I'm going to need to spend more on a less capable nVidiot card :/

Support for the 390x is super preliminary. You can't really use it under OS X.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

Support for the 390x is super preliminary. You can't really use it under OS X.

gently caress. I was hoping that Macbook they're selling with a M390X might have led to something I could adapt to get the thing working. Maybe I just trade my gf the really nice card & get my 280 back....

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I had a bunch of old parts centered around Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L, a Core 2 Duo E6300 (in a former life this combo could be overclocked to 3+ Ghz from a 1.86GHz stock clock), and a Radeon 4870. I could not get El Capitan to work using the clean install method described in the OP. I used UniBeast (I had to select the Legacy option) on an App Store El Capitan image, and the install worked on the first try. I don't have any speakers connected to the computer, so I'm not sure if the sound works, but video acceleration and networking both work out of the box.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Is Chameleon dead? Clover has always given me fits while, Chameleon, Just Works. I'm still on Yosemite because of it.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
I hate how Nvidia has to make web drivers for each security patch. You can't install the new drivers before the update so you have to download them, boot into safe mode and install them from there, than restart. This can't possibly be an issue on real apple hardware.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When was the last time Apple put nV chips in official Macs? Is this an issue on official Macs with Maxwell aftermarket cards?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's now been ATI bitching and NVidia bitching on just this page of the thread.

If I'm buying a new mid-range card to replace my mid-range card of three years ago, which works best? I used to buy NVidia because of Linux, but OSX86 is my new Linux.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm very happy with my GTX 780. It's the most powerful nvidia card that doesn't require you to gently caress around with webdrivers AFAIK.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

Sphyre posted:

I'm very happy with my GTX 780. It's the most powerful nvidia card that doesn't require you to gently caress around with webdrivers AFAIK.

It's not that big of a deal. Actually, I think it's kind of cool because I don't know how often Apple actually updates their own GPU drivers. Nvidia updates them frequently.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

There's now been ATI bitching and NVidia bitching on just this page of the thread.

If I'm buying a new mid-range card to replace my mid-range card of three years ago, which works best? I used to buy NVidia because of Linux, but OSX86 is my new Linux.

The 760 is the last mid-range Nvidia model that supports Apple drivers. The 750 was never built in Apple computers so that requires the web driver as well. 780 GTX also supports the Apple drivers but that definitely an enthusiast card. I'm running the 960 GTX and that only costs about 50 dollars more than the 760 GTX. The web driver issue is only a slight annoyance, if you're already well versed in Hackintosh and Linux it shouldn't give you much of an problem.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have two old machines. First machine:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.0
Core 2 Duo e6300
8GB DDR2

Second machine:

Gigabyte P55-UD4L
Core i5-750
8GB DDR3

I also have a Radeon 4770, a Radeon 4870 and a Geforce 6800GTS that I can use where appropriate. One of these machines will run OS X, the other will run Linux as a Plex server.

I can get OS X running on the Core 2 Duo machine, but when I try to install on the Core i5 machine, I can get to the first step of the installer, but my keyboard and mouse don't work. I can't find any conclusive method for fixing this problem.

If I put OS X on the Core 2 Duo system, what are the chances that everything will still work if I upgrade the CPU to one of those 12MB cache quad core Xeons using one of those 771-775 sticker adapters? OS X runs on Xeons, so I assume it will be OK?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

PBCrunch posted:

If I put OS X on the Core 2 Duo system, what are the chances that everything will still work if I upgrade the CPU to one of those 12MB cache quad core Xeons using one of those 771-775 sticker adapters? OS X runs on Xeons, so I assume it will be OK?

Oh god. I did exactly that, used an E5460 Xeon(3.16ghz) and it was a nightmare.

The system used a Gigabyte mobo, ran for a couple years perfectly with a Q6600 on Mountain Lion, then I swapped in the Xeon and immediately ran into problems. The system would boot, but ran slower and slower and would lock up and have to be hard-reset, then after a couple cycles of this, it would just refused to boot and/or KP.

I tried a fresh install of ML, the installer would usually not make it to the end, and when it did, it would only boot once or twice. I tried Mavericks, same result. Throwing the Q6600 back in made all problems go away.

Meanwhile, in Windows-land, the Xeon setup worked awesomely, a large speed improvement over the Q6600, so I just gave up Hacking that particular machine.

Google searching gave me a couple of results, one was a guy who had to run a hacked Snow Leopard kernel(like AMD users do) and another who ran a different Xeon than mine and didn't mention any OS hassle.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

The 760 is the last mid-range Nvidia model that supports Apple drivers. The 750 was never built in Apple computers so that requires the web driver as well. 780 GTX also supports the Apple drivers but that definitely an enthusiast card.

Good to know, though to clarify I have no particular allegiance to NVidia anymore, my allegiance is mainly to "it just works" without conflicts.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Just realized I have two core i3-2130 processors sitting around. Is it worth it to try and find a compatible motherboard for this? Seems everything listed on the tonymacx86 buyer's guide is much newer. None of the recommended motherboards are even for socket 1155.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

Craptacular! posted:

ATI isn't the problem, bleeding edge ATI cards like 390x and R9 Fury are. Midrange and older cards are mostly fine, I have an R9 280 that worked perfectly with dual monitors on Yosemite. I'm just loving around with this 390x because my gf needed the 280 to replace a warrantable (but not returned for gently caress knows why) 270x.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

It's not that big of a deal. Actually, I think it's kind of cool because I don't know how often Apple actually updates their own GPU drivers. Nvidia updates them frequently.

Definitely. It's nice to be able to just hit update the way you would on a real mac though. Driver updates aren't that important to me on the Mac side of things since everything works as it should and I play all my games on windows anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

TonyCrap replaced Chameleon with Clover in his El Cap guides. I'm rewriting some of the guide to reflect that his tools/guides (Multibeast excluded) are actually Pretty Good now. I'll be removing some of the pointlessly complex things and adding build recommendations. Don't worry, I am not ruining what makes the guide great. Just removing some cruft.

PBCrunch posted:

I have two old machines. First machine:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.0
Core 2 Duo e6300
8GB DDR2

Second machine:

Gigabyte P55-UD4L
Core i5-750
8GB DDR3

I also have a Radeon 4770, a Radeon 4870 and a Geforce 6800GTS that I can use where appropriate. One of these machines will run OS X, the other will run Linux as a Plex server.

I can get OS X running on the Core 2 Duo machine, but when I try to install on the Core i5 machine, I can get to the first step of the installer, but my keyboard and mouse don't work. I can't find any conclusive method for fixing this problem.

The USB issues can be fixed with a DSDT modification. In Clover Configurator, enable all the 'Fix USB' things under DSDT.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 3, 2016

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

Chameleon hasn't been updated to support El Capitan yet.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

enMTW posted:

TonyCrap replaced Chameleon with Clover in his El Cap guides. I'm rewriting some of the guide to reflect that his tools/guides (Multibeast excluded) are actually Pretty Good now. I'll be removing some of the pointlessly complex things and adding build recommendations. Don't worry, I am not ruining what makes the guide great. Just removing some cruft.

The USB issues can be fixed with a DSDT modification. In Clover Configurator, enable all the 'Fix USB' things under DSDT.

When I follow the guide in the OP, the installer crashes before it ever gets to the point where I would even know if USB is working or not. Unibeast allows the installer to load all the way (and finish on ye olde C2D/P45), but I'm not sure how to do all that Clover Configurator stuff with the Unibeast flash drive. In any case, I've decided to use the old machine as my Hackintosh, and it works pretty well except for the lack of sound. I think I maybe need to use an edited DSDT to get that working?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Chameleon hasn't been updated to support El Capitan yet.

Yeah it has. There is a fork that supports it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

PBCrunch posted:

When I follow the guide in the OP, the installer crashes before it ever gets to the point where I would even know if USB is working or not. Unibeast allows the installer to load all the way (and finish on ye olde C2D/P45), but I'm not sure how to do all that Clover Configurator stuff with the Unibeast flash drive. In any case, I've decided to use the old machine as my Hackintosh, and it works pretty well except for the lack of sound. I think I maybe need to use an edited DSDT to get that working?

Your audio codec is RealTek 889a. Use this to get it working: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/496-applehda-patcher/

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010
Any of you experiencing issues with the Magic Trackpad?

I'm currently using the OG trackpad and it seems like it's unable to go into power saving mode, leaving me with half a battery in the morning. I'm running el cap on my Intel NUC by following the guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/171942-guide-el-capitan-intel-broadwell-nuc.html

I have a bunch of eneloops so it's not really a problem but I'm curious that's all.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

neonburzt posted:

Any of you experiencing issues with the Magic Trackpad?

I'm currently using the OG trackpad and it seems like it's unable to go into power saving mode, leaving me with half a battery in the morning. I'm running el cap on my Intel NUC by following the guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/171942-guide-el-capitan-intel-broadwell-nuc.html

I have a bunch of eneloops so it's not really a problem but I'm curious that's all.

Are you using an Apple Bluetooth card? Apple accessories tend to have all sorts of problems with non-Apple BT.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm running Mavericks on that mobo and it was one of the easier Hacks that I've done. I started with a 920

I'm clearly doing something wrong and it has to be a BIOS related issue, because trying to boot to Clover via USB just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." - I can boot/install Linux/Windows/Whatever fine, it's obviously just something I'm doing wrong with GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard. Of course, there's no UEFI, so I can't do the fancy stuff as documented in the OP. Any ideas? I'm also going to PM you because I'm desperate :(

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eightysixed posted:

I'm clearly doing something wrong and it has to be a BIOS related issue, because trying to boot to Clover via USB just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." - I can boot/install Linux/Windows/Whatever fine, it's obviously just something I'm doing wrong with GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard. Of course, there's no UEFI, so I can't do the fancy stuff as documented in the OP. Any ideas? I'm also going to PM you because I'm desperate :(

Try using UniBeast. If that doesn't work, I'll look into it/respond to the PM (haven't read it yet)

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

enMTW posted:

Are you using an Apple Bluetooth card? Apple accessories tend to have all sorts of problems with non-Apple BT.

Ah, I'm using the inbuilt Bluetooth inside the NUC. That explains it then.

Definitely not an Apple BT card AFAICT. I think it's only through sheer luck that BT actually works at all on this device since wifi is not supported.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

eightysixed posted:

What OS are you installing? I installed Mavericks on mine, 10.9.4, I think, and I used Myhack to do it - I try to avoid Tonymac stuff on general principles.

I just built my thumbdrive with Myhack and installed with the default options. I can't recall using any boot flags, but I might have had to use npci=2000 or PCIRootuid=0 to get to the install screen. I'm running a 580GTX, so it worked pretty much right out of the box, just added a couple kexts for networking, sound and the USB 3.0 card.

Unfortunately, Myhack doesn't support anything newer than Mavericks, so you'd have to use Unibeast or another tool to get Yosemite or El Capitan going, and I can't help you there - it works so well, I'm loathe to update it until I have to.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woot, now on 10.11.3 up from 10.10.4. Did it so I could play XCOM 2. I have been holding off on it so it was due. It was pretty straight forward, did a test run on another disk before just using the install app like a real mac. Some nv_disable=1 then driver. Redid the audio terminal commands and done.

Unfortunately the blue tooth dongle no longer works, I have to test whether it is a hardware failure or not. Is there any 10.11 problems with BT? Also is the USB 3 issue now out of the box?

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 7, 2016

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Woot, now on 10.11.3 up from 10.10.4. Did it so I could play XCOM 2. I have been holding off on it so it was due. It was pretty straight forward, did a test run on another disk before just using the install app like a real mac. Some nv_disable=1 then driver. Redid the audio terminal commands and done.

Unfortunately the blue tooth dongle no longer works, I have to test whether it is a hardware failure or not. Is there any 10.11 problems with BT? Also is the USB 3 issue now out of the box?

Which BT dongle are you using? The motherboards hit with the USB 3 issue do have it OOTB, but many motherboards just work now. Which mobo are you using?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 7, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enMTW posted:

Which BT dongle are you using? The motherboards hit with the USB 3 issue do have it OOTB, but many motherboards just work now. Which mobo are you using?

Vendor ID:0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.) It worked from 10.8.x to 10.10.x. The MB is a z97x Gaming 7.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Vendor ID:0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.) It worked from 10.8.x to 10.10.x. The MB is a z97x Gaming 7.

Yep, support for that card was dropped. You shouldn't be having USB 3 issues with that board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any way to change the timezone from inside the OSX installer? I've got the install USB booting and it works up until where it seems like it should reboot into the second stage of the installer that runs off the hard drive, but it throws an error rather than restarting, about the installer being corrupt or tampered. Googling says this is most likely because of improperly set time, and while my BIOS time is correct the installer seems to be operating in PST (rather than GMT) for some reason. I've redownloaded elcap and remade the install usb twice so I don't think it's actually corrupt.