Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Are there any lenses for film-/slide-projectors etc. that could conceivably be re-purposed for a diy large-format camera?

There's a high-end second hand shop near me thats closing up shop and he has a lot of different stuff going cheap.

Something like this:
http://www.da-capo.dk/grafik/interessante/rollei-twin-msc-300-2.htm

or this:
http://www.da-capo.dk/grafik/interessante/bolex-16mm-refleks.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Via Piella, Bologna by alkanphel, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pondex posted:

Are there any lenses for film-/slide-projectors etc. that could conceivably be re-purposed for a diy large-format camera?

There's a high-end second hand shop near me thats closing up shop and he has a lot of different stuff going cheap.

Something like this:
http://www.da-capo.dk/grafik/interessante/rollei-twin-msc-300-2.htm

or this:
http://www.da-capo.dk/grafik/interessante/bolex-16mm-refleks.htm

I doubt any of those will cover LF. You'd most likely need to find something longer, like 200+mm.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MrBlandAverage posted:

I doubt any of those will cover LF. You'd most likely need to find something longer, like 200+mm.

That's good to know. He has heaps of stuff, so that narrows it down a little.

I was inspired by this, but I think he uses some kind of huge aerial photography lens:

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/19/i-built-myself-a-16x20-inch-camera-in-10-hours/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've got a bunch of aerial lenses kicking around in a box, and they are pretty huge and as heavy as say a fully loaded medium format camera. If he does have some of these big lenses, a good way of figuring out how big an image circle they make is to make it form an image on a wall with it. Also check the name on the lens and do a search on both the large format forum and Google, there's always someone who knows a little about these old lenses.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Is expired slide film worth anyone's time? A local guy is selling a rather large stash of 4x5 for basically free ($80 CAD)

1 box Velvia 50 ISO, 10 shts unopened Exp date: 2006
1 box Velvia 100F, 10 shts unopened Exp date: 2009
1 box Provia 100 ISO, 10 shts unopened Exp date: 2006
1 box Provia 100 ISO, 50 shts approx 45 shts left, Exp date: 2004
1 box Provia 100 ISO, 50 shts approx 25 shts left, Exp date: 2004

4x5 at almost 50c per shot USD :eyepop:

Too bad I don't own a LF camera.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If he cold stored it that's a massive steal.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

what the gently caress posted:

fwiw still really looking forward to 'try it with a lime'/'aliencowboys' projects... how's it coming along, bud?

Awww. :shobon:

I've had some pretty rotten luck over the past few months between waiting what seemed like forever for repairs on broken film gear and finding free time from work, but hopefully I'm on the other side of that now.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 28, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sick new name btw

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking to get back into medium format and have sorta settled between the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya 7. I played around with the Mamiya at school for a little bit and it seems to rock. But the price tag is a little more than i had in mind. Is the Pentax of similar quality? Why the price gap? What should i get?

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
the biggest difference is between the shutter feel, and handling of a rangefinder compared to an SLR, at least for me when considering the act of shooting.
the delay of using an SLR becomes very apparent and kinda weird when you spend long enough with a TLR or view camera or rangefinder, where the shutter action is very immediate.

don't stress about stuff like image quality or lens selection or whatever, you have to choose to use a camera that will suit the kinds of picture making approaches you like doing. if you're not sure what that means, don't drop a whole lot of dough on a camera yet. also, a cheap alternative to the Mamiya 7 is the (extremely tempting) Fuji GW690.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Nameless Dread posted:

I'm looking to get back into medium format and have sorta settled between the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya 7. I played around with the Mamiya at school for a little bit and it seems to rock. But the price tag is a little more than i had in mind. Is the Pentax of similar quality? Why the price gap? What should i get?

Mamiya 7 is the fuckin' shiznit. It's a better field camera for normal lenses and is worth the difference in cost if it caters to your needs. If you want a slightly worse field camera that has versatility for portraiture, studio work and bludgeoning, get the P67. They're both great and you'll be happy with either, it really comes down to how you shoot.

edit: make sure that you price out P67s with mirror lockup, it'll go a long way

ansel autisms posted:

Sick new name btw
:bigtran:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 29, 2016

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, with my budget i'm thinking a Pentax is the way to go afterall. Especially with those dope wood grips.

Does this seem like a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-67-T...gMAAOSwpzdWq~Gw

It sounds good on paper, but you never know.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nameless Dread posted:

Yeah, with my budget i'm thinking a Pentax is the way to go afterall. Especially with those dope wood grips.

Does this seem like a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-67-T...gMAAOSwpzdWq~Gw

It sounds good on paper, but you never know.

It doesn't look beat to poo poo like most of them and includes everything you need. I say go for it if you're comfortable with the price. Pick up a couple of these for spares and you should be good to go. http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Lithium-Battery-Photo-28L/dp/B00006JPH3

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any experience with Soviet MF cameras? I live in Kyiv and there's a bit of a cottage industry in rebuilding old Kiev, Moskva or Zenit cameras so that they have seals that work and controls that don't break if you adjust them in the wrong order. I can buy a used Moskva folding bellows camera for less than $100 or I can buy a new and upgraded Kiev 60 or Kiev 88 for about $500.

I used to shoot with 5x4 and 10x8 bellows cameras when I worked for White Dwarf but I've not had much experience with MF photography outside of a studio environment.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
When in good working order most FSU medium format cameras are a delight. 500 US for a kiev is pushing it unless it comes with some lenses, however, as that's well into the pricerange for most others.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

It doesn't look beat to poo poo like most of them and includes everything you need. I say go for it if you're comfortable with the price. Pick up a couple of these for spares and you should be good to go. http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Lithium-Battery-Photo-28L/dp/B00006JPH3

Think u mean these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B8WJPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_XZtRwbSKQ4PEM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I do not. Plus alkaline batteries can cause the Mirror to hang up in the P67.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Well, i couldn't resist getting into medium format any long and bit the bullet. It was the best combination of price, lenses, and condition i could find.I got my first negatives from the Mamiya 7 i played with and if the Pentax is anything like it - drat

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

I do not. Plus alkaline batteries can cause the Mirror to hang up in the P67.

Welp they work for me :shrug:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

When in good working order most FSU medium format cameras are a delight. 500 US for a kiev is pushing it unless it comes with some lenses, however, as that's well into the pricerange for most others.

The specific one I was looking at was this - $595 for a Kiev 88 with an 80mm f2.8 lens. These are new stock that have been rebuilt and upgraded. Or I can spend about a fifth of that on a pot luck bellows camera from the second hand camera store in the basement around the corner.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Helen Highwater posted:

The specific one I was looking at was this - $595 for a Kiev 88 with an 80mm f2.8 lens. These are new stock that have been rebuilt and upgraded. Or I can spend about a fifth of that on a pot luck bellows camera from the second hand camera store in the basement around the corner.

Given where you are, couldn't you also find old stock and wait until you find a good sample to buy?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Well I could but, as I understand it, Soviet cameras had extremely variable build quality and even good ones had a lot of idiosyncracies (like if you adjust the shutter speed without cocking the shutter first, it breaks, if you turn some controls in the wrong direction or in the wrong order, they break). Arax say that they fix those problems, plus a proper warranty is nice too.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
OK, I need some help. After years of being out, I'm getting the itch to get back into medium format shooting, and with new gear. I still have my Epson V700 for scanning from when I shot before (on a Mamiya C300 and a Bronica SQ-A). I still have those old cameras too, but I have the itch to go big this time. I'll mostly be shooting portraits, and I'd like something SLRy. The question is:

Mamiya RZ67 or Pentax 67?

It looks like they both have great glass available. I'll probably get the fastest normal lens I can, plus the fastest medium-long portrait length one. The RZ is almost certainly heavier and bulkier, but I'm not sure by how much, and I'm not going to be climbing mountains with that thing (I know people who have. Poor saps). The RZ, thanks to the bellows focusing, means that I can get in to do close focus without needing to do anything but remember to modify my exposure — the Pentax needs rings to get in tight. The Pentax is slimmer, doesn't have a rotating back, but does have that slick wooden grip that the chicks dig.

Any thoughts?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
For portraiture you might want to bring flash into the mix, which would strongly suggest avoiding the Pentax, with its 1/30 sync speed. RZ67 all the way. The 180mm is both cheap and fantastic.

example photos:

Kurt by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Amy, Cannon Beach by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Cash Loans On Car Titles by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
You can slap a big dumb grip on the RZ too

Content:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

MrBlandAverage posted:

For portraiture you might want to bring flash into the mix, which would strongly suggest avoiding the Pentax, with its 1/30 sync speed. RZ67 all the way. The 180mm is both cheap and fantastic.

example photos:

Kurt by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Amy, Cannon Beach by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Cash Loans On Car Titles by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Which flash are you using with your RZ?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

Well I could but, as I understand it, Soviet cameras had extremely variable build quality and even good ones had a lot of idiosyncracies (like if you adjust the shutter speed without cocking the shutter first, it breaks, if you turn some controls in the wrong direction or in the wrong order, they break). Arax say that they fix those problems, plus a proper warranty is nice too.

The 88 is considered generally less precise than the 60. Most of time it's the shutter that you'll have problems with on a Kiev. ARAX supposedly make an upgraded 88 with metal shutter but I haven't found it on their website yet. I've never used an 88, but I've inadvertently read a lot of forum posts about them while looking for information about the (supposedly more reliable) 60.

I have yet to come across a 60 that doesn't have banding at 1/1000. I ordered one from ARAX and it was actually much worse than the eBay crap shoot cheapo model I ordered before. Plus it's been like pulling teeth to get them to take it back for service, even though there's a black smear across 1/3rd of the frame at 1000 & 500, noticeably uneven exposure down to 125, and the shutter curtains overlap too far at resting & ready position. (Remember this is supposed to be more reliable model than the 88)

If you're in Kiev, though, you might have better luck getting resolution from them if your camera has an issue. And not having to pay shipping makes the price pretty attractive. And it's definitely worth it to get an upgraded model with MLU.

But consider just getting a 645 model if you think you're going to use the higher shutter speeds very often. The apparently common shutter banding problems manifest around the left & right edges of the 6x6 frame, and the 645 mask crops out the problem areas.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Kiev 60 is (inferior) copy of Pentacon Six, which is actually pretty reliable and well built camera. I don't know how hard it would be to find P6 in Ukraine (considering they were copying it), but that's one more option to look at. Here in Serbia they usually go for 150-300 EUR, depending on the condition and accessories.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I have the magical copy of the Kiev 60 that works fine. The back door is a little flimsy when changing film and adding flocking helped with flare, but that is really it. I hated the viewfinder on TLRs, I also ended up shooting below eye level in portraits because of it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HNasty posted:

Which flash are you using with your RZ?

None of those examples have flash but I have used both the Canon 580EX II and my Paul C Buff flashes with the RZ.

edit: I used the hotshoe and an extension cord with the 580EX II and the lens' PC sync port with the PCB flashes.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 3, 2016

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I have a Pentacon and it's a nice camera. The CZJ lenses are an amazing bargain for how good they are. I don't have any of the Russian ones, yet, but the 65mm and fisheye are great from what I've heard.

If you get one be sure to watch some videos on how to load the film properly. If you don't tension it just so it will overlap frames (ask me how I know :() There's also a particular way to use the winding lever which prevents this 100%. I think it was on the baierfoto site.

You should also consider the price of a CLA when looking at any older camera. The grease they used in the lenses and bodies gets hard over time and needs to be replaced. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself it can run a few hundred bucks. It's not only a problem on cheaper cameras, the same thing applies to Hasselblads and Leicas.

ape fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice on the Kievs and specifically the Arax rebuilds. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the 88s. I'm not going to lie, the idea of shooting with old Soviet kit is a big draw for me and, while I appreciate that there are better built options at a similar price, I'm going on feels here. Trying to get good pictures with esoteric kit is a goal in itself (my pictures will still be bad even with a good camera).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I developed my first film since 2013 last night, and my first 4x5s since ever. I think I'm hooked, though on the product, not the process (because holy poo poo this is a pain in the rear end). "Scanned" this one with my phone.

Of course, out of the ten sheets I had, I somehow managed to crease the best one getting it onto the mod54. What's the best way to flatten this out so I can scan it properly on a Flextight?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

atomicthumbs posted:

I developed my first film since 2013 last night, and my first 4x5s since ever. I think I'm hooked, though on the product, not the process (because holy poo poo this is a pain in the rear end). "Scanned" this one with my phone.

Of course, out of the ten sheets I had, I somehow managed to crease the best one getting it onto the mod54. What's the best way to flatten this out so I can scan it properly on a Flextight?

holy gently caress.

to flatten it, just put it in film sheets and throw some books on it for a couple days.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm the giant cop.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

HNasty posted:

I'm the giant cop.

Yeah, I didn't notice him until I looked at the photos. Somehow he managed to blend in despite being ten feet tall.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wanna fave that, with the crease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Turns out a contact printing frame flattens out negatives pretty well.

• Locked thread