Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I wouldn't be too shocked if Gordon came in to do martinsville or anything but a plate race. The list of drivers to fill in are short to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You're not kidding.

List of possible drivers, assuming they have to have ties to Chevy for whatever reason:
Cup Free Agents- None/Jeff Gordon (theoretically)
NXS- Elliott Sadler, Justin Allgaier, Ty Dillon, Alex Bowman, Brandon Jones, Brennan Poole
Trucks- Johnny Sauter, Cole Custer, JWT, John Hunter Nemechek, SRA, Grant Enfinger

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sra to the 14.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

tater_salad posted:

Sra to the 14.

SRA somehow lucks into running the triple at Daytona, still doesn't have merch

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ayn rand hand job posted:

SRA somehow lucks into running the triple at Daytona, still doesn't have merch
I won the Daytona 500, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt...

.....and you can't have one.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's in the op (original post)

thank you

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BMB5150 posted:

I wouldn't be too shocked if Gordon came in to do martinsville or anything but a plate race.

This is possible now if they don't just name one driver, because it's The Kyle Busch Experience for Smoke:

quote:

In fact, sources say Stewart was on his feet and walking by Friday. Sources close to the situation say that on the advice of his doctors, Stewart and his team have set a tentative return date of May 21, the day of the 2016 NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Stewart is highly unlikely to return earlier than that, and his timeline for return could easily be pushed back, depending on the success of his rehabilitation program.

With opening practice for the non-point Sprint Unlimited at Daytona set for next Friday at 5 pm ET, Stewart Haas Racing is expected to name Stewart’s replacement in the next few days.

http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2016/02/sources-stewart-walking-eyeing-late-may.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So if we sell bootleg you can't spell NASCAR without SRA shirts can SRA sue us since he doesn't sell T Shirts? He has no damages.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

So if we sell bootleg you can't spell NASCAR without SRA shirts can SRA sue us since he doesn't sell T Shirts? He has no damages.

Nascar might sue you, but SRA mayn't since SRA isn't a registered trademark of GMS

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Reminder- if you're interested in Fantasy NASCAR, go here http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/3147 and/or go to Yahoo Fantasy Racing, group 3147, PW derrike. The group can hold 50 and we're at 23 right now, so lots of space left.

That said, I may put up a thread in Armchair Quarterback in a couple days offering it to anybody else who might be game given the Shootout and 500 qualifying are next week. I'm not expecting many takers from there, but I'll give priority to SASCAR goons to get in before I do that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I watched the Wendell Scott ESPN movie/documentary last night.

Jesus christ...everyone back then was an rear end in a top hat to the guy except for Ned Jarrett.

Also his story was pretty awesome, just a drat shame he never got the chance to race in a good car. :smith:.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what? you mean shitheels were in NASCAR before today?!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Reminder- if you're interested in Fantasy NASCAR, go here http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/3147 and/or go to Yahoo Fantasy Racing, group 3147, PW derrike. The group can hold 50 and we're at 23 right now, so lots of space left.

That said, I may put up a thread in Armchair Quarterback in a couple days offering it to anybody else who might be game given the Shootout and 500 qualifying are next week. I'm not expecting many takers from there, but I'll give priority to SASCAR goons to get in before I do that.

SASCAR fantasy charter system killed this league, too.

Bob Pockrass says 41 cars going for 40 spots in the 500, with most races seeing 39 car fields.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

what? you mean shitheels were in NASCAR before today?!

It's just stunning and sad really.

The worst part is them admitting they hosed up and they went:

"oh yeah..uh...here's the winners purse...uh...we can't give you the trophy because Buck Baker has it...also we didn't want you to be seen kissing a white women. Welp. See ya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KJsLBZr9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-YXYSQ-jYo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Literally stunned that southerners were lovely to black people in the 60s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BK Racing will field a fourth car with Robert Richardson, Jr. He'll join David Ragan (23), Mikey (83), and Matt DiBenidetto (93).

Boomer The Cannon posted:

SASCAR fantasy charter system killed this league, too.

Bob Pockrass says 41 cars going for 40 spots in the 500, with most races seeing 39 car fields.

Well, that'll confirm the Charter.

And probably no new teams for a while.

e- The PuppyMonkeyBaby stunned me and prevented me from finishing the edit of this post.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 8, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
in Fantasy as Puppy Monkey Keselowski

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 8, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that'll confirm the Charter.

And probably no new teams for a while.

This field cutting is such crap.

I'll provide an update to my last-place driver list once the official entries are posted.

EDIT: autocorrect

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LASTCAR posted:

This field cutting is such crap.

I'll provide an update to my last-place driver list once the official entries are posted.

EDIT: autocorrect

Charter stipulations aside, there's no reason for it. Maybe several years ago when start and park was rampant, but not today when you actually have more than 43 full-time teams trying to make it work every race.

Some of them aren't very competitive, but I remember when Furniture Row was a back marker with a hideous paint scheme. Now look at them.

E- 5 years ago was 2011. Holy crap.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Charter stipulations aside, there's no reason for it. Maybe several years ago when start and park was rampant, but not today when you actually have more than 43 full-time teams trying to make it work every race.

Some of them aren't very competitive, but I remember when Furniture Row was a back marker with a hideous paint scheme. Now look at them.

E- 5 years ago was 2011. Holy crap.

I seem to remember only 43 cars attempting to qualify at the majority of races last year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I seem to remember only 43 cars attempting to qualify at the majority of races last year.

I count 4.

In order: 50, 47, 48, 45, 46, 46, 46, 45, 45, 45, 44, 48, 45, 43 (Pocono), 44, 44, 45, 46, 44, 46, 43 (apparently nobody likes the triangle, because Pocono again), 44, 44, 46, 46, 45, 46, 44, 44, 45, 44, 45, 43 (Fall Martinsville), 45, 43 (Fall Phoenix), 45. (e- Average: 44.7 -> 45)

Most of those DNQs were some combination of John Edward Burton Burton/30/62 (and 33, 39, 40 early in the year), but the 95 and 32 DNQed a couple times, the 46 at least once, and the 21 missed a handful of races because of qualifying being washed out. A couple of those include withdrawls for teams which might've otherwise been in the field, such as when Team XXXTreme had their car stolen.

e- This count would be down by a couple this year, with MWR's two cars gone, some little teams merging, but the 21 back full-time. Also worth remembering is there were a couple good cars (19, 21, and 41, I think) who would be among the go or go home cars because they don't have a Charter as of right now.

e2- Apparently there were 43 teams which attempted all 36 races, according to the first ESPN story about the Charter. Some of the others from last year would've included the 25, 21, and a couple of the teams which never really got going.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/696717917262581760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SoU4qzZlcw

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Based on all the positive reception to the Caution Clock, we're putting it in the Cup Series!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Brian France comes forward as being the man behind the @NASFACTS twitter account.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol yup, NASCAR is cutting the cup field down

Jayski posted:

NASCAR expected to announce charter system Tuesday: NASCAR will hold a press conference Tuesday afternoon at 1:30pm with NASCAR CEO Brian France where they are expected to announce the details on a new charter system for Sprint Cup teams. The agreement is expected to guarantee a certain number of starting spots in the field to certain owners and shrink the race field to 40 cars. The system would provide owners with additional revenue and give them more value for their teams.
The press conference will be shown online at NASCAR.com.(2-8-2016)(2-8-2016)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e- Something more fun, especially for Gordon fans and resident NASCAR scheme designer Kidc, Sam Bass has unveiled several Jeff Gordon rejected concept paint schemes, some of which were intended for 2009: http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/nascar-artist-sam-bass-proud-be-jeff-gordons-rainbow-maker

Start at image 45 in the slideshow.

Cygni posted:

lol yup, NASCAR is cutting the cup field down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_L2dPSFvbk&t=11s

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 8, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nobody's going to go to Pocono anymore if they can't use it as a full race test session for Indy.

I never really got why they swapped those dates around.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The cup field has three less backmarkers, guess American racing is basically doomed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

The cup field has three less backmarkers, guess American racing is basically doomed

:allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

lovely upstart backmarker teams, even with a few years to build and develop, never end up making anything of themselves.

Let's create a huge barrier to entry to the existing schlubs and anybody else that comes around so they aren't as much a problem. We don't need any more Richard Childress or Rick Hendrick wannabes someday.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 8, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ah yes, Stewart-Haas, ever the plucky underdog

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Ah yes, Stewart-Haas, ever the plucky underdog

SHR, no. Haas pre-2009 when it was the 66 and 70? Yeah. Without a little outside investment, does that team still even exist?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

Wow someone who works for NASCAR thinks NASCAR made a good decision, stop the loving presses.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

SHR, no. Haas pre-2009 when it was the 66 and 70? Yeah. Without a little outside investment, does that team still even exist?

Precisely.

Eliminating the final three spots in the field not only makes it that much harder for start-ups to break in, but serves to punish teams that didn't join the RTA. They want the outsiders to fight against each other for so few spots that it'll be difficult for any of them to run the full season. When those outsiders can't attract any sponsors anymore, it'll just be the 36 charters playing in their own sandbox - just how they've always wanted it.

What I'm curious about is what will happen when underfunded charter teams start to collapse, such as Premium Motorsports and BK Racing. In the past, as with the Top 35 rule, points were sold to new start-up teams so they could make the first few races of the year. I don't see that happening with the charters because I don't see the RTA accepting new members, leaving only the ones who "grandfathered" in. What I see instead is a gradual restructuring of Sprint Cup fields into something similar to Formula One, where the fields are capped at less than 30 cars and any brazen outsiders have to go through "pre-qualifying" just to make it into the final row. And that would suck.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

LASTCAR posted:

Precisely.

Eliminating the final three spots in the field not only makes it that much harder for start-ups to break in, but serves to punish teams that didn't join the RTA. They want the outsiders to fight against each other for so few spots that it'll be difficult for any of them to run the full season. When those outsiders can't attract any sponsors anymore, it'll just be the 36 charters playing in their own sandbox - just how they've always wanted it.

What I'm curious about is what will happen when underfunded charter teams start to collapse, such as Premium Motorsports and BK Racing. In the past, as with the Top 35 rule, points were sold to new start-up teams so they could make the first few races of the year. I don't see that happening with the charters because I don't see the RTA accepting new members, leaving only the ones who "grandfathered" in. What I see instead is a gradual restructuring of Sprint Cup fields into something similar to Formula One, where the fields are capped at less than 30 cars and any brazen outsiders have to go through "pre-qualifying" just to make it into the final row. And that would suck.

I'm thinking they just sell their Taxicab Medallions to someone else who wants to race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Wow someone who works for NASCAR thinks NASCAR made a good decision, stop the loving presses.

There's a pretty big difference in my mind between "a good decision" and "not the end of the loving world" but this thread operates entirely in hyperbole so I guess I should stop bothering to argue.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Word is, to the surprise of no one, that JGR and SHR will be purchasing the MWR charters for the 19 and 41.

LASTCAR posted:

Precisely.

It all rotates around to NASCAR's typical "They did something, but it wasn't enough to do just that so then they did something else just because". If they keep the field at 43, it's the Top 35 Rule with profit-sharing. Instead, starve out the independents. What happens when they get below 40 cars showing up each week (probably nothing) is what's interesting.

daslog posted:

I'm thinking they just sell their Taxicab Medallions to someone else who wants to race.

NASCAR 2016 (Summer): Taxicab Medallions.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

There's a pretty big difference in my mind between "a good decision" and "not the end of the loving world" but this thread operates entirely in hyperbole so I guess I should stop bothering to argue.

It's "fixing" an issue that's not an issue at all, solely for the benefit of the soulless corporate mega teams and at the detriment of the small teams that actually embody the fun and spirit of the sport. Yay.

Nobody in this thread said its the end of the world, we all just said what it is: loving stupid, probably their clearest statement that they only care about the corporate teams, and a 7% reduction in the grid. That all sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That's all perfectly reasonable, yeah. I'm not saying gently caress the small teams or anything, I just don't think dropping three cars is going to make any noticeable difference in the product, especially when there's far worse poo poo NASCAR does to make the racing suck.

• Locked thread