Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

symbolic posted:

Bless you, Ghoul.

"Jet fuel can't melt steel!" yelled right in the middle of When the Eagle Cries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ghoul's Facebook is consistently hilarious.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'm also a huge fan of Lich King's social media presence.

When they got Bolt Thrower's facebook page to redirect to Alan West it was pretty great.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Slugdge's page is pretty much the most British possible thing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm also a huge fan of Lich King's social media presence.

When they got Bolt Thrower's facebook page to redirect to Alan West it was pretty great.

It's so good but the singer quit and I don't think they've found anyone. A shame, Lich King deserves more fame.

Also Speedwolf is pretty much calling it quits too. :(

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
really digging Chthe'ilist' debut album, must listen for any fans of good death metal

its very demilich type dm, except better cause there's no ridiculous frog vocals

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

really digging Chthe'ilist' debut album, must listen for any fans of good death metal

its very demilich type dm, except better cause there's no ridiculous frog vocals

Those frog vocals are way cooler than just a dude growling

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Is it wrong that I instinctively read this in John Cleese's voice in my head?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheIllestVillain posted:

That's half the charm of Demilich.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah the frog vocals own. I was actually kinda disappointed when I saw them that they don't sound quite as froggy live as on record.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah the frog vocals own. I was actually kinda disappointed when I saw them that they don't sound quite as froggy live as on record.

Conversely, I was floored when I saw Inquisition live and the frog vocals were in full effect. I asked the sound guy what kind of an effects setup he had for the vocals and his reply was "nothing."

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's funny - I actually hate the frog vocals in black metal ala Inquisition or some of Dimmu's stuff, even though I like them in Demilich. To be fair, the Demilich vocals are kind of a deeper, gurglier version, so that might be why.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
There's a big difference between sounding like a backed up garbage disposal and a monotone corpse paint robot, and Demilich rules.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dimmu Borgir has the cheesiest videos but drat it if they don't have some good tracks.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
http://www.houstonpress.com/music/metals-problem-with-women-is-not-going-away-anytime-soon-7858411

Y'all better watch your microaggressions.

quote:

And even if metal fans are principally male, why are they reluctant to cheer for a female-fronted band? Never fail to understand this: because being a fan is an act of submission. It’s the same reason men can't wait destroy a successful female player in a live-action role-playing video game. Lower-ranked males despise the disruption in hierarchy represented by a successful female. They’re jealous, and don’t want to give up power.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Perhaps it's not so much an issue with a female frontwoman but more of a problem with the quality of the music? Is Halestorm really a metal band?

I can somewhat agree that metal is an insular culture and fans can be resistant to change and a woman could be a change that would be difficult to accept. However a woman can contribute/detract from the music just as much as a male vocalist can.

Being a fan of something doesn't have to be a submissive act. I don't listen to metal because I'm cowering before the awe of the music, but rather because I appreciate and respect the artist. At the same time, the artist has to respect the fans for supporting their music and buying their merch/concert tickets.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I used to like Halestorm a lot when I was younger, probably because I was attracted to Lizzy Hale. :unsmith:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Metal hasn't even made significant headway on it's problem with loving nazis, so I wouldn't hold my breath about it's problems with sexism going away

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Babymetal is actually good and cool, though?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Incoherence posted:

:lol:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Having read the article I would argue that many of the bands the author gives as an example aren't widely popular on a global pop scale (Cannibal Corpse, Diminished, etc). Granted they have a large following in the metal community, but you're calling out a specific subgenre (death metal) and applying that to the whole scope of metal. If you take issue with the lyrics, you don't necessarily have to listen to those bands and I am sure there are alternative bands in DM that women can listen to if that is their style of choice.

There are many subgenres in metal that are gaining a significant female presence. Symphonic and gothic metal stand out the most in my mind as examples and you can find women in pretty much every subgenre. Hell women are appearing more in power metal and poo poo too. I agree that there is a lot of misogynistic lyrics in plenty of bands, but you have to make the choice to listen to them if they go against your beliefs.

So yeah, there's a lot of improvement that can be made in relation to female representation in metal, but I don't like the way the article tries to make the blanket statement that even male fan of metal has this huge problem with women.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vargatron posted:

Perhaps it's not so much an issue with a female frontwoman but more of a problem with the quality of the music? Is Halestorm really a metal band?

Honestly though, I agree with this. I would like more metal bands with more women in them where it isn't a "thing". Take Huntress for example. Nobody would pay attention to them if it weren't for their singer. Their music is very run of the mill, but she makes it "marketable".

Aside from Unleash the Archers, Royal Thunder, or a few of those 70's throwback bands like Witch Mountain, I really can't think of any others that make good music without tons of cleavage or thigh high boots.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Been really into the new album from Deiquisitor lately. It's fantastic death metal imo and I've been hoping for a full length after listening to their ep a few times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOawBF6vY4

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Incoherence posted:

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, but I'd never actively listen to it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Aside from Unleash the Archers, Royal Thunder, or a few of those 70's throwback bands like Witch Mountain, I really can't think of any others that make good music without tons of cleavage or thigh high boots.
Detente and Holy Moses are good, though the former disbanded.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Counterpoint: anything Julie Christmas does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXbW3l7gzM

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seven Kingdoms is pretty good female fronted Blind Guardian-esque power metal. Though, it is still power metal...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4jJS9-WMrA

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Honestly though, I agree with this. I would like more metal bands with more women in them where it isn't a "thing". Take Huntress for example. Nobody would pay attention to them if it weren't for their singer. Their music is very run of the mill, but she makes it "marketable".

I was able to name at least 20 when the article tossed that rhetorical question at me, but for every Melanie Mongeon or Silje Tombre there's five Floor Jansens, Cristina Scabbias, or Liv Kristines.

Kimberly Goss was great back in the day, and I'm sad she didn't really keep singing after Sinergy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just make good music - who gives a poo poo where the words are being barfed up from.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Girlschool is a long running kickass NWOBHM band that Lemmy used to hype up all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhAX96Lr8Y8

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a retard posted:

Girlschool is a long running kickass NWOBHM band that Lemmy used to hype up all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhAX96Lr8Y8
Came here to post this. "Emergency" was my jam in 8th grade. They also made a split with Motorhead that I have never listened to but I can imagine is amazing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Lori Bravo is legit scary and not at all eye candy. Possibly mentally disturbed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrRT3Xr83xk

and well, I brought up Sacrilege last time this thread decided to talk about female vocalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNikrmTxwm8

There's plenty of good metal bands that has women in them. It's just a matter of digging through all the shite, much like with any other part of the metal genre.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sacrilege is back in the studio too!! :D

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
who's going to voivod/vektor tomorrow night

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Incoherence posted:

lol look at this guy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the last female fronted band I saw had a giant banner behind them that read "Christian Scum Die Bleeding" and they were good so I don't know what this guy is on about

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

There's lots actually, it sounds like you(and obviously the guy who wrote that article) just haven't looked very far.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A human heart posted:

(and obviously the guy who wrote that article)

quote:

METAL'S PROBLEM WITH WOMEN IS NOT GOING AWAY ANYTIME SOON
BY KRISTY LOYE

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

muike posted:

who's going to voivod/vektor tomorrow night

I'm going on Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

though not metal, Marriages put out a great album last year and I love Emma's vocals. I still have yet to find any female growling vocals I can really get into though.