Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know what they're referencing, and that cutscene is offputting and weird enough that it probably deserves that

Rifftrax even did a segment on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKuRIFqEU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Forget where the picture is from now but I remember seeing someone posted a Pomegranate that had been smashed up a bit and he got a warning for not including a trigger warning for "GORE" or something. When the mod was told it was a fruit they said, "Doesn't matter. It looks like gore."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MizPiz posted:

With what we know about Sonic fans, I'd say it deserves a zoophilia warning.

Trigger warning for terrible games.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ChogsEnhour posted:

Forget where the picture is from now but I remember seeing someone posted a Pomegranate that had been smashed up a bit and he got a warning for not including a trigger warning for "GORE" or something. When the mod was told it was a fruit they said, "Doesn't matter. It looks like gore."

Warning: Pomegranate!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Oh gently caress off.

That makes me angry.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

I now want to flood the internet with inexplicable pictures of pomegranates. Pomegranates being tossed, pomegranates being smashed, pomegranates being ravenously devoured by sticky-faced children.

No warning, no remorse, no mercy.

Is this what it feels like to be a super-villain?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

RickVoid posted:

I now want to flood the internet with inexplicable pictures of pomegranates. Pomegranates being tossed, pomegranates being smashed, pomegranates being ravenously devoured by sticky-faced children.

If you're an edgy teen sure

Otherwise it's fine to just laugh at something dumb

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RickVoid posted:

Considering the iconic Somethingawful symbol, it's not surprising. :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you're an edgy teen sure

Otherwise it's fine to just laugh at something dumb

OK

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

My favorite part of that is "don't be a loving rear end in a top hat" *proceeds to be an rear end in a top hat*

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing posted:

SJWs ruin everything.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

I love this, I dunno what first glance they are taking that makes this look like a heart.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To a person whos never seen a heart.
All it has in common is the color red.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wizard of Oz: You don't need a heart at all, oh no, all you need is this pomegranate.

Tin Man: A heart! A heart! I have a heart!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe because the pomegranate was the personal symbol of Henry VIII it triggers people with a fear of marrying a king and being beheaded, every think about that????

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To a person whos never seen a heart.
All it has in common is the color red.

Pomegranates actually have been used to symbolize hearts/blood/gore in Christian artwork, iirc. Not that banning someone for refusing to tag it as gore isn't asinine.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

DraconicImpulse posted:

How the gently caress does someone get triggered by food?

"My parents once made me eat all my peas at dinner and it was HARROWING EXPERIENCE. Since then I've subsisted through intravenous transfusions of my nutrients because the thought of eating takes me back to that day."

https://youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY

Anyone who hasn't seen this, do so right now. It's an episode of freaky eaters about a woman who only eats cheesey potatoes, and has done so for 30 years.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Pomegranates actually have been used to symbolize hearts/blood/gore in Christian artwork, iirc. Not that banning someone for refusing to tag it as gore isn't asinine.

No banning happened: that exchange is from tumblr. So it's just someone futilely talking poo poo at someone else.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

https://youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY

Anyone who hasn't seen this, do so right now. It's an episode of freaky eaters about a woman who only eats cheesey potatoes, and has done so for 30 years.

My favorite part of these things is when they make them eat normal poo poo and they can barely handle it. Some British chick only ate burnt sausages or something and was gagging and moaning trying to eat a strawberry

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was on a now-defunct indie music label's forum a long time ago, and an admin got called out for banning certain slurs like "human being", but having no problem with "retarded" and using it frequently himself. From what I later learned, he had a reputation for becoming extremely butthurt over being called out for anything at all. So in an effort to overcompensate he banned all supposedly "ableist" words like lame, dumb, and spaz because they were once commonly used to refer to disabilities. Then it went further. No more saying crazy/insane/psycho. No more idiot/stupid. No more weird. That might alienate someone.

User posting dropped swiftly due to the restriction of language and harsh punishments. Someone later discovered that in his massive censorship sweep for abusive language, he banned everything else but still forgot to ban the word "retarded" that started the whole debacle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

On the one hand, Republicans will destroy ever social function that America relies on to function. But on the other, Liberals are annoying!

If I hadn't seen a bunch of unironically dumb posts on tumblr, I'd think that one was a joke because 'tag your gore/pomegranates asswipe' is too ridiculous to take seriously without cracking up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sticklefifer posted:

I was on a now-defunct indie music label's forum a long time ago, and an admin got called out for banning certain slurs like "human being", but having no problem with "retarded" and using it frequently himself. From what I later learned, he had a reputation for becoming extremely butthurt over being called out for anything at all. So in an effort to overcompensate he banned all supposedly "ableist" words like lame, dumb, and spaz because they were once commonly used to refer to disabilities. Then it went further. No more saying crazy/insane/psycho. No more idiot/stupid. No more weird. That might alienate someone.

User posting dropped swiftly due to the restriction of language and harsh punishments. Someone later discovered that in his massive censorship sweep for abusive language, he banned everything else but still forgot to ban the word "retarded" that started the whole debacle.

Lol what a retard

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

RareAcumen posted:

On the one hand, Republicans will destroy ever social function that America relies on to function. But on the other, Liberals are annoying!

If I hadn't seen a bunch of unironically dumb posts on tumblr, I'd think that one was a joke because 'tag your gore/pomegranates asswipe' is too ridiculous to take seriously without cracking up.

The best mad tumblr post was a girl who lost her poo poo over the fake cockatiel flying into the chocolate fountain in the Adam Sandler movie Jack and Jill.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

are you ever not a massive pissbaby about people liking new vegas or disliking the star wars prequels

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You are really upset about video games.

The clue to making a good M'aiq The Liar line is that it dismisses and mocks what some people praised or took very seriously. Crossbow bolts, the removal of Mysticism, or the un-numbered Fallout game from Obsidian.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Star Citizen

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I don't think this is the right topic unless at least one person in that got banned.

An actual mod thing is that GameFAQs administrator CjayC bought into some psudeolaw explanation about legal culpability and hotlinks, that basically he wasn't liable for the content of a link if it wasn't actually a link, but plaintext instead! So no one could sue him for it.

And that's why to this day you have to copy-paste urls on gamefaqs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

This reads less like an event that happened to a person and more like a youtube sketch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't think this is the right topic unless at least one person in that got banned.

An actual mod thing is that GameFAQs administrator CjayC bought into some psudeolaw explanation about legal culpability and hotlinks, that basically he wasn't liable for the content of a link if it wasn't actually a link, but plaintext instead! So no one could sue him for it.

And that's why to this day you have to copy-paste urls on gamefaqs.

Holy moly

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Most of GameFAQs' ridiculous rules (no swearing and such) were because that guy was extremely paranoid about losing his advertisers, who must have all been Victorian-era Puritans who had taken vows of chastity or something. Once he left and a new guy came in, the site pretty much immediately started catching up to the rest of the Internet.

But we're not preteens anymore, so nobody really cared.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
GameFAQs implemented clickable links several years ago.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

PYF Power Mad Mods: Gamefaqs implemented clickable links several years ago.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

GameFAQs implemented clickable links several years ago.

I checked when I made that post and the link wasn't clickable. :confused:

Either way it was far too late anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, every time I accidentally click a gamefaqs link none of the links are clickable.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
You have to enable them under user settings.

Stupid, I know.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Some Reddit drama to revive this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedetectives/comments/4bl9dm/rgamedetectives_drama_megathread/

The Reddit Post posted:

Hi all, crash (wiki editor) here.
For those of you who don't know, this has been a tumultuous few days for our community. The aim of this thread is to inform everyone of what's been happening in our Discord server. Even if you think you already know the facts, please read this post.

Part 1 - In which the crisis began

Amboyscout, Nauthas, Cubity_first, and some other people were being extremely vocal about some problems they had with the moderators - in particular, with Benolot. One of these problems was the fact that the SUPERHOT and valve-vr channels were deleted with little warning. These people also claimed that the mods were being abusive and flamboyant with their powers, especially Benolot.
Amboyscout, Nauthas, Cubity_first, and co. were campaigning for greater mod transparency. Their campaign went on for quite some time, until Benolot "announced" Amboyscout's resignation. Benolot chose to do this by revealing a PM from Amboy that had been sent to every moderator but Benolot. In this PM, Amboy expressed his displeasure with Benolot's moderation, and stated that he would be resigning from the mod team soon as a result of Benolot's actions.
So, Amboy's PM was leaked to Benolot, and she subsequently posted it to announce Amboy's resignation. Amboy's mod privileges were revoked and he was booted from the mod team by Benolot. Amboy's demotion angered Cubity_first, who posted some extremely toxic, anti-trans messages designed to spite Benolot. Those messages don't need to be repeated here. In response to these insults, Benolot muted Cubity_first, causing further discontent among those that were already upset with the mod team.
During this time, Sexual_rhinocerous had also dealt with a great number of unfair accusations. He chose to resign as a moderator rather than deal with any more. Soon after, Benolot left the server for the night, as she too was exhausted from dealing with accusations. When Svardeskampe appeared in the aftermath of all of this, he appointed Dr. Dino and Sarcastic_Fantastic as mods to replace Amboyscout and Sexual_rhinocerous.

Part 2 - In which there were casualties

The next day, the arguments continued. Bysam, an ex-moderator, returned to the Discord to give his opinion. He called into question the validity of the "senior mod" ranking. Bysam claimed that, during his time as a moderator, the senior mods made all the decisions in their private chat channel while the non-senior mods had little/no say in decisions. Bysam described the senior mods as puppeteers, and the non-senior mods as puppets. In response, Svardeskampe and Picapi have insisted that few decisions were made in the senior-mod-only channel. In fact, the only significant decision that was made in that channel was the closing of the SUPERHOT and valve-vr channels, which Amboyscout originally took issue with.
Amboyscout, Nauthas, and Cubity_first continued to point out flaws in the moderation team, Benolot's moderation in particular. However, it was clear the discussion had long devolved into a massive shitshow. Everyone was being insulting and being insulted. People were discussing setting up entirely new discord servers, just to escape from the perceived tyranny of the moderators here. It was about this time that one of our most regular and well-known users, TheEvilSocks, announced that he no longer wanted anything to do with our community because of the way this crisis was being handled.
Soon after, Nauthas announced that he was leaving the server as well, albeit temporarily. Nauthas has publicly stated his end goal of being on the GameDetectives discord channel was to become a mod. He was disheartened that Svardeskampe chose Dr. Dino and Sarcastic_Fantasic as replacement moderators instead of himself. For the record, Nauthas was an immensely productive wiki editor, but he has since stated that it felt like too much work, and that he was only doing the work in the hopes of eventually becoming a moderator. So, with those hopes dashed, Nauthas decided to go on hiatus as wiki editor.
During this time, Benolot had revoked her own senior mod status in response to the continued accusations towards her. This left Dr. Dino, Sarcastic, Svarde, and Picapi as the only active mods. Benolot demanded an apology from cubity_first, who had made alienating and anti-trans comments towards her the previous day. Although cubity_first initially denied having made anti-trans remarks, eventually he publicly apologized to Benolot for his actions.

Part 3 - In which an understanding was reached

Benolot claimed that, the next day, she would return to the moderation team as head mod. This outraged the same group of people that advocated for her resignation in the first place. Nauthas, who was gone at the time, found out about this and actually returned to the server from his self-imposed hiatus. He threatened to permanently leave the server if Benolot returned as a moderator. Nauthas' message was deleted, but not before Amboyscout could echo Nauthas' sentiment.
It's at about this point that I stepped in and started to take an active role in these events, so, bias warning!!!
I got Amboyscout to send me the original PM where he poo poo-talked Benolot behind her back. I publicly asked him some questions about his motivations for sending the PM. At the beginning of Amboyscout's modding career, he accidentally edited the permissions for one of the Discord channels. According to Amboyscout, this incident was blown out of proportion by Benolot. Benolot's response to Amboy's gently caress-up was to create the senior mod ranking - so that moderators were no longer accidentally able to access those settings.
Although I asked Amboy other questions, the final question I asked Amboy had to do with Benolot's abuse of power, and this is where the crux of the issue was revealed:
At no point did Benolot abuse her power in any substantial way. Amboy was not able to think of a single instance where Benolot was flagrantly breaking the rules.
However, Benolot's moderating style was extremely unpredictable and varying. Sometimes she was excessively forgiving; other times, she was excessively harsh. This led to some uncertainty among the other mods, especially Amboyscout, who Benolot had been antagonizing. Amboyscout felt Benolot had unfairly backed him into a corner. To that end, Amboy let the other mods know his concerns with the PM he sent, but it did nothing to resolve the situation; it only increased the personal tension between Benolot and Amboyscout when Benolot found out about it.
The revelation we had was this: the dispute between Amboyscout and Benolot is a personal one, and nobody's place but theirs to interfere. An agreement was reached: Amboyscout would do his best to resolve his differences with Benolot in a private discussion. When they reach a mutual understanding, they will let us know.
TL;DR AMBOY AND BENOLOT NEED TO RESOLVE THIS IN PRIVATE.
PLEASE, FOLLOW THE RULES:
BE KIND TO EACH OTHER
KEEP IT CIVIL
USE COMMON SENSE
Thank you for taking the time to read through this. I hope it helped you understand what's been happening. I like this community and I don't want any unnecessary rifts in it, especially not over stuff as petty as this.
-crash

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
That reads like the minutes to a playground meeting, about a fight over a missing trapper-keeper.

Becky blamed Melissa because she was always jealous of the puffy stickers on it, but Melissa says she saw billy holding it. Mike over heard Suzy and Phil talking about it, and told Becky they might be involved.

Becky confronts Phil, who pulls her pigtails. She then pushed him over, both got recess detention for two days and a call to their parents.

Becky finds her trapper keeper two days later, it was buried in her locker. Becky, Phil, and Melissa are not really talking and sit separate at lunch now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What the gently caress was this even about.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What the gently caress was this even about.

Wiki editing is serious loving business, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I checked the subreddit, and apparently it's a community that formed around ARG that Valve did during last year's holiday sale. You know, serious poo poo.

• Locked thread