Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was going to say Ralphus, but I think he was eventually shitcanned for demanding more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The answer is of course Big Sexy.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Seems like hall had a lot of fun there.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Bet Scott Steiner loved his time in WCW as well. He could cut all the insulting promos he wanted, he could take a loving tiger to the ring with him, and he could do a lot to take care of his freaks and his peaks (as in 'take all the steroids on Earth').

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Germansimp posted:

he could take a loving tiger to the ring with him

I was always curious about that part; he takes a tiger down to the ring with him, pets it a little bit, and then it's taken backstage all in the span of about fifteen seconds. It's all so random and out of place you get the feeling that he probably didn't tell anyone about it until the tiger was already in the building.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

He filed a defamation suit against the company.

Well yeah but before that it was a party for him.

Scott Hall seemed to like his time there though he wasn't in the most lucid state at the time.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It really takes some massive balls and absolutely no conscience to sue a company that basically treated you like the second coming of Jesus because somebody made a factual statement about your hairline.

Then again I vaguely remember the story about when Jericho left Hogan saying "take me with you." Of course this story revolves around believing that Hogan knew Jericho existed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

It really takes some massive balls and absolutely no conscience to sue a company that basically treated you like the second coming of Jesus because somebody made a factual statement about your hairline.

Then again I vaguely remember the story about when Jericho left Hogan saying "take me with you." Of course this story revolves around believing that Hogan knew Jericho existed.

That wasn't the full reason before the lawsuit. Russo went way, way overboard and off script with an agreed upon script involving a guy who had creative control. Hogan sued and the judge upheld that his creative control clause was violated.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That Russo promo was pretty good tho

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

That Russo promo was pretty good tho

I guess if you like more of the same repetitive nonsense and have too much pent up hatred for Big Wood.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

I guess if you like more of the same repetitive nonsense and have too much pent up hatred for Big Wood.

I mainly think its a good promo because of the passion involved in the delivery and the vivid picture Russo paints of the storyline. When he promises Hogan will never return to WCW "or else I'll go in the GOD drat GRAVE," and refers to the title as the "Hulk Hogan Memorial Belt," he injects a lot of power into his words. Granted, I've only seen that promo in a vacuum and you've actually watched all the WCW surrounding it, so you'd be in a better position to judge it's repetitiveness. But in that vacuum, where I think most people watch that promo, it seems like a shining example of the theoretically potential of a Worked Shoot.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the kernel of good intent in Russo's booking style is that he wants to bring back that feeling that you can only have when you think wrestling is real. The feeling that anything can happen because it's real life and real fighting. Unless I misremember, the announcers even claim that the match between Booker and Jarret after that promo is "actually real." I think the way Russo sees it is that Worked Shoots can bring that feeling of suspense back. If the audience is told point blank that the script exists but also that at any moment the guys in the ring might decide to throw it out, they'll constantly be waiting for it to happen and wrestling can perhaps become "real," again.

In a complete vacuum, I can see how BATB 2000 could have succeeded in creating that feeling. But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and like you said in the end its just another one of a long sting of lovely worked shoot promos that make no sense to people who don't know what "doing the job," is.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just a little bit of random WCW nostalgia. My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show in Oakland when I was 7 and it was headlined by Sting vs. Rick Rude in a cage match. One of my good buddies was also at that show, we went back and looked at the card and holy poo poo it had a ton of guys who were or went on to be stars: http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=48630

Nash, Dustin Rhodes, Austin, Foley, Steiners, Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, etc. Crazy to think about now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Just a little bit of random WCW nostalgia. My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show in Oakland when I was 7 and it was headlined by Sting vs. Rick Rude in a cage match. One of my good buddies was also at that show, we went back and looked at the card and holy poo poo it had a ton of guys who were or went on to be stars: http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=48630

Nash, Dustin Rhodes, Austin, Foley, Steiners, Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, etc. Crazy to think about now.

I went to the link prepared to find some no-name to mock but came up short outside of like curtis hughes, who I have no joke material about

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Aesop Poprock posted:

I went to the link prepared to find some no-name to mock but came up short outside of like curtis hughes, who I have no joke material about

It did have Marc Mero

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

It did have Marc Mero

Don't punch down, bro

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sanguinia posted:

I mainly think its a good promo because of the passion involved in the delivery and the vivid picture Russo paints of the storyline. When he promises Hogan will never return to WCW "or else I'll go in the GOD drat GRAVE," and refers to the title as the "Hulk Hogan Memorial Belt," he injects a lot of power into his words. Granted, I've only seen that promo in a vacuum and you've actually watched all the WCW surrounding it, so you'd be in a better position to judge it's repetitiveness. But in that vacuum, where I think most people watch that promo, it seems like a shining example of the theoretically potential of a Worked Shoot.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the kernel of good intent in Russo's booking style is that he wants to bring back that feeling that you can only have when you think wrestling is real. The feeling that anything can happen because it's real life and real fighting. Unless I misremember, the announcers even claim that the match between Booker and Jarret after that promo is "actually real." I think the way Russo sees it is that Worked Shoots can bring that feeling of suspense back. If the audience is told point blank that the script exists but also that at any moment the guys in the ring might decide to throw it out, they'll constantly be waiting for it to happen and wrestling can perhaps become "real," again.

In a complete vacuum, I can see how BATB 2000 could have succeeded in creating that feeling. But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and like you said in the end its just another one of a long sting of lovely worked shoot promos that make no sense to people who don't know what "doing the job," is.

The crowd was very not into that idea though. Hogan was way more over than Jarrett at that point and then when Russo did his promo he got a lot of heat for it. Hogan sucks but aside from Goldberg or Sting or Flair he was probably still the most over guy in the company.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I was watching Hannibal Burress' new special on Netflix and he was talking about how Hogan was his intro to Jimi Hendrix (after making fun of his dad for getting into the Wire late), and then he goes "Then I found out Jimi's dead and Hogan's a racist, my whole world is crumblin'!"

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

voodoo chili

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

This was after Russo's run with the WCW title. Russo was stale and awful and hearing his lovely Iron Man theme song made me groan, by this point. We didn't like Russo, we didn't want to see him on TV, we didn't want to listen to his promoes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Russo finally appearing on screen was a huge misstep (though given the timing I'm not sure anyone noticed in the wake of the many other missteps.) Eric Bischoff kinda sorta worked as a character- like all things nWo you eventually wanted him to just go away- but Russo comes off as scummy in the wrong way.

Still better than Dixie though.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Watching the Spring Break Nitro. I gotta give them credit, that's a pretty cool idea to have it at a club surrounded by a pool. When every arena looks the same something different once a year make it seem more like anything can happen.

Like Kevin Nash declaring himself Spring Break '98 Cannonball Champion before escaping The Giant.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The American Dream posted:

Watching the Spring Break Nitro. I gotta give them credit, that's a pretty cool idea to have it at a club surrounded by a pool. When every arena looks the same something different once a year make it seem more like anything can happen.

Like Kevin Nash declaring himself Spring Break '98 Cannonball Champion before escaping The Giant.

I'd probably tune into RAW just to check the set if they started doing that again.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
One of these days I want to read all 360 pages of this thread like a novel.

At the beginning of this thread Hulk Hogan was semi-respected retired wrestler and has fallen to the depths of outcasted crusty racist that has to play fantasy football on twitter for money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chromatic posted:

One of these days I want to read all 360 pages of this thread like a novel.

At the beginning of this thread Hulk Hogan was semi-respected retired wrestler and has fallen to the depths of outcasted crusty racist that has to play fantasy football on twitter for money.

At the start of this thread I hated him, now he is in the very least my favorite heel of all time. He's up there for favorite wrestler too.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The first page of this thread was 2009 during hogans insanely poo poo tna stuff I don't think he had a ton of goodwill running then either except ironically

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

And yet throughout this thread Scott Steiner has remained the shining light of virtue, mathematical genius and chain mail hats we all deserve.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

The first page of this thread was 2009 during hogans insanely poo poo tna stuff I don't think he had a ton of goodwill running then either except ironically

When he left TNA, he had full control over how he left in storyline, and he did it by actually walking out while Dixie held his leg crying and begging him to stay. To this day that's the only time I've liked Hulk Hogan

BrigadierSensible posted:

And yet throughout this thread Scott Steiner has remained the shining light of virtue, mathematical genius and chain mail hats we all deserve.

He was right about Hulk all along. He deserved more love than we were able to give

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

present day scott steiner is extremely gross and sad

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oatgan posted:

This is true of like 98% of wrestlers whose heyday was 15+ years ago.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

The hell you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcjmOtUSXM

He is a hero to all people

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

When he left TNA, he had full control over how he left in storyline, and he did it by actually walking out while Dixie held his leg crying and begging him to stay. To this day that's the only time I've liked Hulk Hogan
Based on what I know about TNA I'd believe if it was a shoot, brother.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

rotinaj posted:

The hell you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcjmOtUSXM

He is a hero to all people

MAYBE ITS RIGHT, MAYBE IT AINT

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Another WCW alumn gets a hall of fame ring elsewhere

https://twitter.com/WWEUniverse/status/696159460981657600

bartok
May 10, 2006

I remember Kevin Greene actually being okay in the ring and was definitely better than Mongo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bartok posted:

I remember Kevin Greene actually being okay in the ring and was definitely better than Mongo.

He really wasn't.

bartok
May 10, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

He really wasn't.

You're probably right but Greene had natural athletic ability which can hide a lot of shortcomings. Plus I can't help but have a negative opinion of Mongo after the whole will Jeff Jarrett join the 4 Horsemen storyline. All those awful incoherent promos with Mongo and Debra were brutal.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm better than Mongo at wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bartok posted:

You're probably right but Greene had natural athletic ability which can hide a lot of shortcomings. Plus I can't help but have a negative opinion of Mongo after the whole will Jeff Jarrett join the 4 Horsemen storyline. All those awful incoherent promos with Mongo and Debra were brutal.

Medium Kev was really good for someone who ended up having four matches. Mongo owns though.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

This statement has a 141 and 2/3's chance of being incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm better than Mongo at wrestling

But how are you at the game of human chess?

MD2020 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 7, 2016