Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Cheesus posted:

In my mind, progress is not a straight line and we should expect occasional wakeup and it's not a reason to withhold feedings from him.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you. Your kid is 4 months old, which is at the absolute lowest end of the "you might be able to start night-weaning"-scale. (According to this article on night-weaning, which I think is pretty good.)

Definitely try just comforting him first, in case that's enough, and making sure he's getting enough food during the day, so that he doesn't move feedings from daytime to nighttime. But to me, a hungry 4 month old should get fed, no matter the time of day.

(On the flip side - my 2.5 year old recently started demanding food after bedtime. My husband thinks she should get a sandwich if she wants one, but I refuse her completely, because she's big enough to learn that if she's legitimately hungry after bedtime, she should've eaten a bigger supper, and I'm not letting her use demands of food as a stalling tactic. I am the bedtime nazi of our house.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
8 to 6 am is a very long stretch. It's awesome if your baby can do it, but 4 to 6 months old is the age where you can begin to wean babies off of night feedings because most of them can go for 5-6 hours stretch. 8 to 2-3 AM is already pretty good (that's pretty much what our 4 months old do).

I think that like you said progress is not a straight line with a baby. There were times where he would sleep through the night and other time where he'll wake an extra time or two. Still your GF may be right that giving him extra feedings when he wakes up at odd hours might be counterproductive (like at 10h30 if he just ate at 8). I'd try to get him back to sleep first and then feed only if he really won't get back to sleep

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 2, 2016

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Four months is prime time for a developmentally related sleep regression, too.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Babies go through growth spurts too where they need more food. Feed your baby. Sleep is an ever evolving thing....it'll be good, then bad, then good, and so on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Not everyone in the thread cosleeps, but if you co-sleep with your kid you'd never really need one as long as you're not going to sleep drunk/high.

I think many parents get that fear right off the bat - my wife was terrified I'd roll onto our child because I sleep like a rock, but our kid is able to wake me surprisingly easily in comparison to everything else in my life.

I'd prefer not to co-sleep. I know for a fact that I toss and turn a lot. My wife does a bit as well. I am gonna look at the monitors that were recommended as those are near what I can afford. Those and a bit less sleep to check on him and I'll be fine.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It really pisses me off that baby keyboards pianos always have fake keys.

Maybe its just that he spent most of last night screaming, but I am actually pissed right now because the latest one has fake keys that look just like real ones and I was super excited only to find out they just press one of the adjacent real keys.

This is so goddamn stupid. Not as bad as the ones with half fake buttons that don't even depress but still dumb.

Does this not bug anybody else? I feel totally alone here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 3, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like, a musical instrument, or like a QWERTY keyboard?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

greatn posted:

Like, a musical instrument, or like a QWERTY keyboard?

The little musical mini pianos that come attached to everything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok second half of that sentence kind of confused me even more.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
What the hell is up with toddlers and food. My 19 month old will eat anything which is awesome. But there are some days where she will just not. Stop. Eating. And it's not junk she just keeps asking for more.

I try and ...limit.. the amount of food if I think she's had enough cause really baby, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even eat half of what you just stuff into your potbelly.

And then some days she barely eats.

Grr frustrating disease-filled eating and screaming machines.

I love her.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Emily A. Stanton posted:

What the hell is up with toddlers and food. My 19 month old will eat anything which is awesome. But there are some days where she will just not. Stop. Eating. And it's not junk she just keeps asking for more.

I once fed my youngest as many raspberries as he would eat. He ate and ate and then urped some up and then ate some more. After the second vomit-burp, I stopped him. It was impressive.

He is going to be trouble, he already has a sixth-sense for junk food - if you open a bag of chips he'll come running.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The little musical mini pianos that come attached to everything.

greatn posted:

Ok second half of that sentence kind of confused me even more.

:agreed: Like what? I want to get home quick and check my son's toys to find all these pianos I've apparently never seen! ;)

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Growth spurt? Our 4 year-old has been going through a picky phase. Last night he finished his chicken, his quinoa, his veggies, had dessert (yogurt and fruit). He woke up at 4am crying that he was hungry, got him a glass of milk. This morning he woke me up early because he was HUNGRY, had a fruit smoothie, a bowl of banana/oatmeal, a peanut butter & honey sandwich, a glass of milk. No idea what else he had during the day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

rgocs posted:

:agreed: Like what? I want to get home quick and check my son's toys to find all these pianos I've apparently never seen! ;)

I mean like for play tables and various electronic noisemakers, the worst sort of toy.

But I get it, its not as common as it seems to me. Nevermind.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I mean like for play tables and various electronic noisemakers, the worst sort of toy.

But I get it, its not as common as it seems to me. Nevermind.

That's why we just gave our kid an actual piano keyboard. He had so much fun playing a real piano one day, when I saw a battery powered casio keyboard at goodwill the next week for a few dollars I snatched it up! He loves it! I try to only give him real instruments or at least little kid ones that sound/work like real ones. I think it is so much more meaningful for little ones when they are able to make a pleasant sound or get a real response from an instrument. We gave him a ukulele for his main present this christmas and some egg shakers in his stocking. Both were big hits. Lately, he has been taking out all of his instruments (and an empty oatmeal container and anything else he can find) and setting up his own pretend drum set and going to town. This, after I showed him a youtube video of a 3 year old playing a drum set with a symphony. I think we are going to have to get him a drum set for his birthday... He's almost 22 months and obsessed with music.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Trending on Facebook:
United Airlines: Company Says It Will Allow Families Traveling With Children Under Age 3 to Board 1st
United said starting Feb. 15 it will allow families with children under age 3 to board before first class and elite status passengers. The airline had revoked the policy in 2012.

Apparently it was the last US airline to hold out.

Having recently flown with three little kids ages 5, 3 & 1, I thank the powers that be that understand little kids come with a lot of crap, they take forever to get on a plane and its best for EVERYONE if I have a bottle or boob in the baby's mouth ASAP and with little disruption so they are asleep by takeoff.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

GlyphGryph posted:

It really pisses me off that baby keyboards pianos always have fake keys.

Maybe its just that he spent most of last night screaming, but I am actually pissed right now because the latest one has fake keys that look just like real ones and I was super excited only to find out they just press one of the adjacent real keys.

This is so goddamn stupid. Not as bad as the ones with half fake buttons that don't even depress but still dumb.

Does this not bug anybody else? I feel totally alone here.

Nope, it pisses me off so much. It just seems like laziness that the black keys are ALWAYS molded plastic and not actual buttons. :argh:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno what's up with this. We put the twins in their own bedroom a few weeks ago and now Daniel refuses to sleep alone, he climbs in with David and sleeps there. It's a bit tight in their fenced in bed. Time for a bigger bed. Or should we try and stop them from sleeping in the same bed for some reason? I guess they feel safer that way, or at least Daniel does.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Emily A. Stanton posted:

I try and ...limit.. the amount of food if I think she's had enough cause really baby, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even eat half of what you just stuff into your potbelly.

And then some days she barely eats.

Sounds totally normal :) If she was a glutton all day, every day, I'd get your concern, but lots of food some days and little food other days is just your kid listening to her body, and giving it extra fuel when it needs it. As long as she's not making herself sick and is eating healthy food, I don't think you need to worry about limiting her intake.
My kid is small and eats like a bird most days, but she too has days where she'll eat and eat and eat and basically roll off to bed in the evening. It all averages out.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've always been told that when evaluating the eating habits of toddlers, you have to look at what they've eaten over the course of a week instead of a single day. As long as what they're eating is nutritious and not junk, there's not much reason to limit them (obv. eating til they're so stuffed they vomit is one reason to limit, rarely happens though). They have a ton of stuff going on not just with their bodies, but in their brains, and it needs fuel. Some days they become ravenous eating machines, some days they decide they ate enough already and aren't hungry. If you look at the bigger picture it all balances out to where they need to be.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno what's up with this. We put the twins in their own bedroom a few weeks ago and now Daniel refuses to sleep alone, he climbs in with David and sleeps there. It's a bit tight in their fenced in bed. Time for a bigger bed. Or should we try and stop them from sleeping in the same bed for some reason? I guess they feel safer that way, or at least Daniel does.

This is fairly common in twins. Think about it, they spent the first 9 months of their lives together and then they co-slept. It's a big adjustment to be by yourself. My singleton isn't too keen on it either. You just have to decide what your comfort level is. I think by school age (5/6) you'd want them in their own beds for social reasons, but honestly if they are doing well during the day, not constantly clinging to one another and able to play separately, then I don't see the harm in letting Daniel have that comfort at night so long as his brother is okay with it. With twins, the key is to honor their special need for closeness with their twin, while balancing their need to be separate individuals and to develop coping strategies outside of their twin. Eventually, they will be grown-ups, living separately, and need to be able to deal with life's ups and downs on their own, but they've got plenty of time to learn and practice the skills needed for that.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This isn't parenting as such but it's a story I wanted to share and it's pretty relevant [IANAP];

I volunteer with a local youth theater group as rehearsal pianist, over the past few weeks we've been starting work on Fame and had quite a few new kids join us from the ages of... 5? to like 14. A girl joined us, she's about 10 and wanted to see what the group was about, and she's that fantastic combination of modest and utterly fearless. She came up to me during the break and asked me how I got so good at playing the piano (her words, not mine...) so I talked to her about keeping the wrist as still as possible and concentrating on technique, lessons, lots of practice, muscle memory and all that. She sat down next to me and played a few triads and talked about her singing lessons and how she'd learnt to play a few chords to accompany herself as she practiced, so I asked her if she'd mind singing a little.

Oh My God. This little girl's voice was just the most fantastic, incredible sound. I think that's the first time I've felt paternal in my life. The confidence she'd gotten from learning how to sing and the presence her voice had, I had to hold back the tears. She clearly loved what she did and it showed.

Give your kids the opportunity. I'm not saying push them into it, but let them try real instruments and have them learn the basics. The difference in confidence between the kids that have had musical training and those that haven't is just vast, and it's not because of pushy parents as far as I can see, so... let them try it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

Give your kids the opportunity.

Every child should have music in their lives, it's an amazing gift and benefits them in so many ways.

The one reason I'm sad about having a girl instead of a boy, is that she can't join Norways best boys choir, which is based in our city.
But she's going to try out for the Norwegian Girls Choir as soon as she's old enough (I have decided this, she's just going to have to roll with it).

I'm genuinely bummed out about the lack of proper choirs for very small children. There are lots of happy go lucky choirs where little kids can shout and "sing", but I want her to start learning properly as soon as possible, because that's the brilliant thing about choirs, you can have fun AND learn proper skills at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

To clarify, whether she wants to pursue music as a career or whatever in the future, is entirely up to her, but there WILL be choir song. She already loves it when she gets to visit my choir when we practice, and we sing all day every day in our house, so I'm hoping she'll go willingly ;)

(I was so relieved when she started singing for the first time, and it was in tune - her father is practically tone deaf and I was terrified that she'd inherited his ear for music instead of mine.)

(I'm slightly biased in the direction of choirs.)

(You should all go join one right now.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

Trending on Facebook:
United Airlines: Company Says It Will Allow Families Traveling With Children Under Age 3 to Board 1st
United said starting Feb. 15 it will allow families with children under age 3 to board before first class and elite status passengers. The airline had revoked the policy in 2012.

Apparently it was the last US airline to hold out.

Having recently flown with three little kids ages 5, 3 & 1, I thank the powers that be that understand little kids come with a lot of crap, they take forever to get on a plane and its best for EVERYONE if I have a bottle or boob in the baby's mouth ASAP and with little disruption so they are asleep by takeoff.

Man, that would have been so nice when I was flying with a 15-month-old. I didn't even want before first class/elite-status, I just wanted "before boarding group 9999999", which is naturally where we ended up sitting. I mean, who sees an obviously-already-exhausted pair of parents with a gigantic car seat, an over-stuffed diaper bag, a bulging backpack, and a shrieking toddler, hears the mother ask if families with young children board early, and asks, "Uh.... no....? Why would they?"? :rolleyes:

(On the other hand, that he was happily buckled into said seat while we arranged our luggage, rather than needing to be held or running around the plane, did make things a lot easier... eventually, once we'd gotten on the plane itself.)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My 5 year old has had Encopresis for a year now. I've tried many different combinations of Miralax and ExLax as well as fiber, all recommended by doctors. Her next follow up isn't until May but I'm really at about my wits end here. Has anyone dealt with this problem? Will a child psychologist help? She's scheduled for an appointment with one next week because I'm trying everything I can think of. She's not backed up anymore but I feel like her stools might be too loose to be stopped. When she does have accidents she says she was distracted while playing, sometimes she says she can't feel it. So, hoping it's not the latter, I've moved back to potty training with incentives, did a potty party the other day. If she really can't feel it the encropresis might have gotten so bad she might need more medical attention which would entail....surgery? I'm not sure.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Parenting achievement: waking up JUST in time to throw the teddy bear to safety before the toddler sleeping on my chest throws up everywhere.

It's all about priorities, man. Can't have the night time teddy bear out of commission. I can always shower. Right? :smithicide:

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so a few weeks ago the thread helped me with my in-laws situation. TLDR - they were major assholes when I brought my three little kids to their home on Christmas Day and it was the straw that broke this mama's back.

So, my husband finally had a conversation with my father-in-law (reminder - he divorced my husband's mom when my husband was two, and was likely a very absent father who was cheating on his wife before that, but no one wants to talk details) who questioned, essentially, if our kids are out of control. He didn't really seem surprised to hear that we didn't want to take the kids to their place anymore, but he also asked for specific incidents to reference. I made sure my husband told him that it wasn't one or two things but a compilation of things over the years. Apparently, they are going to get together for a drink sometime soon to get into it more and make sure we all understand each other.

I have to be honest. When I heard that my father-in-law questioned if my kids were well-behaved, I got pissed. Not only do I take it personally as their primary caregiver, I take it personally that a dude who never really raised children and has expressed a dislike of children has the balls to tell us our kids are out of control. They are 1, 3 and 5. gently caress you.

They say please and thank you, they sit at the table for meals, they act as well as can be expected for small children. But yes, when you get all three of them together they wrestle, they explore, they yell, they push buttons, they make a mess - they are KIDS!

Honestly, I just don't want to be bothered with these people anymore. They literally have said to us, to our face, that they don't like kids. Why do I have to put everyone through this if no one is going to be happy about it? It would be one thing if they interacted with the kids in some way, but they kind of just ignore their grandkids until they do something wrong. The kids only want to go visit their grandfather because he has a hot tub we have splashed around in a few times. If they didn't have that hot tub, I doubt the kids would even remember who their grandfather was.

Someone please talk me down. Remind me why these forced familial interactions are necessary. Obviously my husband wants there to be a connection, he's used to his father's behavior and lets stuff slide, but my kids don't know how to deal with cold sarcastic assholes in their life and I'd rather not subject them to someone who makes jokingly derogatory statements or who would rather not deal with kids at all.

They arent necessary at all. I remember replying to your original post and saying the same. I had the same sort of issues with my parents and in all honesty you and your husband sound like me and my wife two years ago. Since we cut the toxic contact with most of my family our relationship and family has gone from strength to strength.

Like i said originally, your kids have to come first, not some rear end in a top hat who wants to pick and choose the interactions with his grandkids. I mean his reaction to being told his grandkids arent going to be coming round anymore is to ask for specific incidents as to why? gently caress him.

Did your husband go out for his birthday dinnr with them?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

lorddazron posted:

Like i said originally, your kids have to come first, not some rear end in a top hat who wants to pick and choose the interactions with his grandkids. I mean his reaction to being told his grandkids arent going to be coming round anymore is to ask for specific incidents as to why? gently caress him.

I don't understand what the problem with asking why is. Would it had been better if he had just said "yeah, whatever"? To me it sounds like he might not realise what he's doing wrong and would like examples to maybe try to fix it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
My 5 year old son is wayyyy into 5 Nights at Freddy's. If you let him, he will watch YouTube videos of 5 Nights at Freddy's LPs for hours.

While I don't typically let him watch those videos for the hours he would, I will let him watch the videos.

Which brings me to his birthday... He wanted to have a 5 Nights at Freddy's themed birthday cake for a party (5th birthday) at chuck-e-cheese. I thought that was appropriately funny.

So I buy the cake and it has these really tame cake toppers form the video game... And after the party I get lectures by one of the other parents about how inappropriate my cake choice was.

I really had no idea what to say, other than explaining that the party invitations should have given her some idea that this wasn't going to be your standard party, but really we are just talking about a teddy bear with scary teeth. She stormed off and said her kid would never be allowed to get to any functions hosted by my wife and I for our son.

I just want to check here to be sure that she was the crazy one, and not me.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

What were the cake toppers?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Sounds like you met a parent who didn't know what videogames are. Five nights at Freddy's is vaguely psychological horror at most but if your kid loves it more power to em.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I don't let my 8 year old play Five Nights at Freddy's. I understand it's just a stupid game and I've played it enough, I just don't think children need that sort of tension. I'd never get upset about another kid's party though, that's strange.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

My 5 year old son is wayyyy into 5 Nights at Freddy's. If you let him, he will watch YouTube videos of 5 Nights at Freddy's LPs for hours.

While I don't typically let him watch those videos for the hours he would, I will let him watch the videos.

Which brings me to his birthday... He wanted to have a 5 Nights at Freddy's themed birthday cake for a party (5th birthday) at chuck-e-cheese. I thought that was appropriately funny.

So I buy the cake and it has these really tame cake toppers form the video game... And after the party I get lectures by one of the other parents about how inappropriate my cake choice was.

I really had no idea what to say, other than explaining that the party invitations should have given her some idea that this wasn't going to be your standard party, but really we are just talking about a teddy bear with scary teeth. She stormed off and said her kid would never be allowed to get to any functions hosted by my wife and I for our son.

Are we talking about something like this?

I mean...I've never played 5 Nights at Freddies, but from what I know it's a 'scary' point and click sort of game? It's not something I'd let my son play, but if I went to a party with some offbeat cake like that, that would be fine. What did the woman think, her son was going to be scarred for life by a loving cake topper? Jesus gently caress.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our kids watch a shitload of moomin.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Our kids watch a shitload of moomin.

My 3 year old son happened to catch Sharknado once on Netflix and now he freakin' loves Sharknado I+II and would watch them on repeat if he could.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I watched The FP with my wife the other night, and my 15 month old son watched too, with rapt attention. Then, during the climactic DDR dance battle, he suddenly ran up in front of the TV and started frantically bustin' moves himself.

He'd never danced before, but since watching that movie he won't stop dancing whenever he hears anything similar to EDM dance music. And he's so joyful about it. It is the cutest :3

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

ZombieLenin posted:

I guess I can see why she got upset. I think most parents just assume a kid's birthday party isn't going to include scary stuff, and so she put no thought into the possibility. It's not your fault she's unobservant, but maybe in the future you should include a disclaimer in the invitation just so you don't have to deal with this type of thing again?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You gotta post a picture of that cake. If it's like that image posted earlier, then she is insane. Those images are just goofy out of context, not scary.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

greatn posted:

You gotta post a picture of that cake. If it's like that image posted earlier, then she is insane. Those images are just goofy out of context, not scary.

Yeah, agreed. Need to see what it looks like before we can decide on crazy ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My main kid problem right now is my two year old is obsessed with Mega Man, I have to read him the Robot Master field guide every night, he has all 100+ robot masters memorized now and a good deal of their weaknesses, calls himself Arthur Mega Man, mom is Mommy Zero, and I am daddy Mega Man X. I have to play at least "two more guys" daily, and he spends dinner making his food fight each other before he eats it.

I just feel bad reading this to him instead of something more developmentally appropriate.

"Arthur after you're done it's time for a bath."

"Yeah but first you fight two more guys!"