Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pomp posted:

when do reinhard and siegfried kiss

they already did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pomp posted:

Golden Wings

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Sometimes, and only sometimes, this anime gets a little gay.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Logh is not very gay at all, except that one Kaiser. It is latently, intensely homoerotic at times though.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 5, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It had just occured to me that pretty much everything wrong with the Empire can be summed up with Braunschweig's "I have the right to do anything I want to my planet!"

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

DamnGlitch posted:

Logh is not very gay at all, except that one Kaiser. Its is latently, intensely homoerotic at times though.

It's why I don't understand people that wish there were more girls instead of constant kindaqueer undertones

it's like do you even military?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pomp posted:

Same

It's one of the problems when the cast is 90% guys. I thought Siegfried liked the sister? I'm only at the beginning though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm pretty sure Kircheis has a thing for every member of that family.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
And clearly that family has a thing for him too. What, with the whole "towelling down in the nude together in front of Reinhard's sister" thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Same

It's one of the problems when the cast is 90% guys. I thought Siegfried liked the sister? I'm only at the beginning though.

His raging boner is like 50% of his motivation at that point

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
61 episodes in and I just realized that with a wackier soundtrack and some goofy reaction shots the series would basically be a sitcom where Yang is three days from retirement but things keep spiraling out of control

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 7, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Episode 4 of Anime Kiwi is live. It covers episodes 9-12.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
You can now pre-order the ebook version of the first book on Amazon and iTunes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI91F00?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes/id1081943895?ls=1&mt=11

It comes out next month.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, so I watched this entire series in the last month or so, finished it up today. I would've done GDT posting but I was terrified of catching spoilers because I'm curious as gently caress and click on black bars all the time. I'm not one for epics or sci-fi, to be quite honest - I tend to prefer slice-of-life stuff, or more self-contained stories -, but Star Wars and Gundam discussion put me in a space opera mood. Since I've always heard good things about LoGH here, and SA is basically my only source for anime and anime accessories, I figured I'd give it a try.

Turns out it's pretty good. I only did the regular series, no movies (I wasn't aware they were preludes). Maybe I'll come back to them at a later date.

I guess I'll put my overall impressions under spoiler tags, so spoilers for EVERYTHING:

By the time I finished LoGH, I was pretty exhausted, it being such a long, dense series and all, but even then I felt the last "season" petered out a bit. I guess one of the reasons is that it's pretty much an extended epilogue. "Yang died, the Alliance is gone, Reinhard 'won', now let's see how everything settles down". It's interesting, but it's not as...uncertain as the previous events. Makes for a harder binge experience, since the pace is slower and more predictable (although the last five episodes or so go into turbo mode). It also didn't have Yang Wenli, my spirit animal and Best Character (well, probably tied with five other people). Why did you have to die so dumbly, you dumbass? It was three days before your retirement too!

I think by now you guys discussed to death the "good dictatorship x bad democracy" aspects of this series. It's interesting, if a bit heavy-handed at times. Both sides are humanized pretty well, and I personally enjoyed how the traditional "evil" side, from our modern perspective, is the one that prevails - and it's fine. It's an Empire that might become parlamentarism probably maybe?? It helps that Reinhard is a shiny sexy golden god of virtue, you couldn't help but cheer him on when he was on full blitzkrieg mode anyway - especially after Kircheis dies and he loses his "innocent" side. Something else people touched on here and I found interesting too is the counterpoint to that argument, represented by Yang x Reinhard: sure, your leader might be the Nordic Jesus Christ (Thor, I guess), but what happens when/if he's out of the equation? The Republic loses Yang but still keeps everything under control, because Yang wasn't that important as an ACTUAL leader. As soon as the Kaiser gets sick, though, or whenever other people take action, the Empire breaks down. Julian gets his "victory" thanks to Reinhard's breakdown, for example.

In terms of character development, it's impressive how the show kept so many people relevant and just added MORE names to that list as it went on. Reuental and Mittermeyer were as much main characters as Reinhard and Kircheis, for instance, even if they began as just "helpers". Julian goes from naive child to actually pretty badass as Yang's successor; the entire "cabinet" on Iserlohn's side gets to shine (and the Rosenritter's demise is one of the coolest moments in the entire show)...I'm terrible with names, so the fact that I can rattle out these guys' names is already a statement to how tightly everything's knit together.

Also, now that I stop and think about it, the sheer SCALE of dead people in LoGH is insane. Of course planets were basically cities there, but there were probably a billion deaths over the span of six or so years, holy gently caress.

Now, for things I didn't like so much about the series: it starts a bit rocky (the movies probably fix this), both in terms of production values and plot structure. Nothing that doesn't go away before episode 10, really. I'm also pretty meh on the Terraist/Phezzan angle. It felt like they were there because the series needed a new "bad guy" after the monarchy and the Alliance's big wigs were gone, I dunno. They got their big kills, but they never had as much impact on the political side of things as I'd have hoped. Even their end was white noise-ish. On the lack of female protagonism, I'm willing to give LoGH a pass for a couple of reasons: first, it was made in 80s Japan, if anything it shows quite some restraint in their treatment of women. A couple even get to do actual things! Plus, they seemed to make some timid improvements as the series went on - even though in the end every single relevant women was there to be a romantic interest.

Oh, and before I forget: Yang, Kircheis, Schenkopp, Reuental, Reinhard, in order of "how bummed was I when they died".

I guess this is what I have to say about LoGH right after finishing it. Well, and also this:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Good_Haro/status/696827153090895872

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

There's 3 chapters of a translated manga for this now and its really epic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am probably going to buy this at some point.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm finally, but very slowly, watching this show. It's pretty great.

Now I'm going to leave the thread before someone mentions something that happens in one of the 90ish episodes I've yet to see.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Speaking of pointless gender-swaps, is this the one that had Rubinski as a bald woman and also served as the basis for the bad movie?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think the manga is new, isn't it? Not bad so far, although I'm glad the focus is shifting to Yang. I was never that interested in Reinhard and Kircheis.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

I'm finally, but very slowly, watching this show. It's pretty great.

Now I'm going to leave the thread before someone mentions something that happens in one of the 90ish episodes I've yet to see.

A billion people die! Hahahahaha

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Were some episodes retouched over the years? I'm at 23, in the middle of the civil wars right now, and i've noticed a few episodes are crisper? or something, like 23 and the capture of iserholn

I'm not sure how to put it into words, it doesn't appear to be higher budget, just...different

edit:it's noticeably happening from shot to shot now so i guess so?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 13, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah they reanimated some segments when it got released on DVD.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Pomp posted:

Were some episodes retouched over the years? I'm at 23, in the middle of the civil wars right now, and i've noticed a few episodes are crisper? or something, like 23 and the capture of iserholn

I'm not sure how to put it into words, it doesn't appear to be higher budget, just...different

If it bothers you like it did to me, I just got ahold of the laser disk version which was made well before the DVDs sourced from unfortunately damaged masters.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm up to season 4 on a rewatch. I know some people dislike the slow start of season 4, but the first episode has really great moment where Mittermeyer beats the poo poo out of Flegel set to Bruckner. I was just laughing my rear end off the whole time, because seriously gently caress Flegel.

Also, there are an unexpected number of things that are explicitly foreshadowed in the show. I forgot a couple of these given how long some of them take to come to fruition.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pomp posted:

There is two things: there are shots that ARE crisper and nicer looking as a result of the film being in better shape, which gets/got cleaned up, there's older less good looking film that looks sorta shoddy, and there's damaged film that, in the bluray/DVD release, has been reanimated. There is much, much more of it in the early parts of the show but it pops up from time to time later as well. It's usually just sorta irritating, but occasionally it will occure during a battle shot and you get some pretty nasty looking CG. The reanimated style is, unfotunately, not really in keeping with the style the main OVA is executed in and looks like the much uglier gained animation.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

DamnGlitch posted:

There is two things: there are shots that ARE crisper and nicer looking as a result of the film being in better shape, which gets/got cleaned up, there's older less good looking film that looks sorta shoddy, and there's damaged film that, in the bluray/DVD release, has been reanimated. There is much, much more of it in the early parts of the show but it pops up from time to time later as well. It's usually just sorta irritating, but occasionally it will occure during a battle shot and you get some pretty nasty looking CG. The reanimated style is, unfotunately, not really in keeping with the style the main OVA is executed in and looks like the much uglier gained animation.

You're talking about this right?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

How come most of the time this show looks like this:

But then in some shots it looks like this:

Those are both from the same episode and the style difference is very noticeable.

The New Coke shots from the DVDs look way shittier.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
This is why the LD rip is the supirior version, despite being a bit grainier than the nicer DVD shots. Kinda makes it feel like I bought them from a weird comic store in an unmarked paper bag from a guy who smells like cabbage and a wet attic.

Krampus Grewcock fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 16, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there anyone willing to watch this show from the start with me and be my watching buddy? I feel like having a buddy to watch with would help me get through it. I have PM's or reply in the thread I guess.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 26. RIP :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
RIP.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

*accidentally almost pours a 40, but smashes a wineglass instead

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jostiband posted:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
alternative title for the upcoming episode: AP's Grand Predictions

you better back my corner you guys. i am gonna be so right. i am making the most ridiculous predictions.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Another Person posted:

alternative title for the upcoming episode: AP's Grand Predictions

you better back my corner you guys. i am gonna be so right. i am making the most ridiculous predictions.
You folks should write them down.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jostiband posted:

Legend of the Galactic Homies. Another bar on the pages of history.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

You folks should write them down.

I will write mine up and post them in here when the next episode goes live. Some might get cut out, because mikey edits these. If it were me editing, you would be getting the RAW LOGH CAST, which would also include a lot of me stating my point and then mikey calling me crazy.

Mikey isn't making predictions because he is boring and refuses to play my game. Randombattle is making a couple, but they are like the lowest level predictions. I am making... grand predictions. They will all be correct.

Actually, I will put my predictions here now, but I will spoiler them in case someone really wants to hear me say them live. I have no idea what will get cut, so I don't know what you will hear anyway. I will add some reasoning if I can.

1. Kircheis will die this season. He has to, he is far too affable and likeable to live in this world. Reinhard needs something to change his character, it is too stable right now, and the death of Kircheis would do just that. There are only two people in this world that matter to him - Kircheis and his sister. Losing one of them would be a change that makes sense, as it would strike into his heart an emptiness and loneliness. It might even make him question his ideals? Why this season (or I guess the first episode of next season which could also work if you want to go for a crazy cliffhanger)? There needs to be something climactic to end things on which changes everything.
2. Oberstein will do something abhorrent. I think the scorched earth plan initiated in the episodes we just covered in the upcoming session was his plan, and put that on him. However, if that is not enough for me to win this prediction, he will probably do something even worse very soon. Oberstein just seems like he is a poo poo house rat who will do the wrong things to meet his goals.
3. There will be a civil war in the empire between the nobles and Reinhard. They allude to the possibility, and I think it will erupt very soon. I am not sure how long it will last, but it feels like with how much of the season we have left, it will end at the resolution of this season. Reinhard, naturally, will win. This one is obvious - Reinhard wants rid of the nobles, and he needs to consolidate power.
4. There will probably be a civil war in the FPA too, or something which massively changes the administration like a coup which forces a military adminstration. It just has to happen, very soon. There is no way you wage such a huge war, and lose so many men in a single battle and do not face heavy repercussions back home. Yang will not side with whatever happens, and will probably have to fight it because he is a nice guy. Yang does not seem like the sort of person who would agree with the forced assumption of government. Likewise, he is stationed at Iserlohn from now on - he is too far from the centre of political power to actually be part of it.
5. Yang will eventually resign from the military and retire. Probably next season? But he will get pulled back in, because he is just too valuable and he has too big a bleeding heart.
6. Yang will die before the end of the show. Before the final season, even. Probably season 3? Mid-late season 3. In the recording, I initially guess end of Season 2-mid Season 3, but I feel like it will be mid Season 3 more and more now. It feels like a natural point, especially when I consider that at some point Yang will have to retire and get pulled back in. Why? Because Reinhard, after losing Kircheis, will need Yang in his life. As an enemy, or maybe friend, but a rival nonetheless. Yang seems like the only person who can possibly oppose Reinhard, and Reinhard is bloodthirsty and perceptive enough to notice this, and he wants that competition in his life. He cannot do without it. As such, to throw Reinhard further into turmoil, Yang needs to die.
7. The FPA will totally lose the war at some point, probably in Season 2 or 3.
8. When the FPA loses the war, it will go quiet for a while. Then the war will reignite over something or other, somehow. Rebellion maybe? Subjugating a people which is the same size of you in one war probably won't be the last thing you hear of them.
9. When Yang dies, Julian will take over. He idolises Yang too much, he admires the guy, and would probably continue to fight for Yang's ideals.
10. Phezzan will probably fall. Season 2? It does not feel like it can survive as an independent power when Reinhard wants to control the whole universe. It will fall before the FPA, because who would see it coming except a crazy person like me. How it falls I do not know, but it probably will not be from a siege. Doesn't seem in line with what Phezzan does.
11. Rubinsky will not die when Phezzan falls. He will probably escape. He might bend the knee to Reinhard in return for service? He seems too self confident to do that however. He will probably continue plotting and acting from the shadows, like the smooth operator he is.
12. The Earth Cult will largely stay behind the scenes, as in they will not be a central focus until maybe season 4. However, they will do things, possibly big things, in season 2 and 3. Whatever they do in season 3 will be what draws attention to them to solidify them as a threat which needs dealing with. There is no way that Mr. Black Cloak and Spooky Hologram in the dark is just going to be a side function to this story.

e; also that handsome rosen ritter fella has to die at some point.

If you are wondering why so many of my predictions which involve death revolve around Reinhard - I see him as the protagonist of this show. This is his story, but there are a lot of characters. This show feels like a biopic of Reinhard.

e2; also DO NOT TELL ME if I have got these things right, or mikey or Randombattle. there is a certain joy i will get out of being right and them being wrong considering how hostile they are to my predictions. I want to watch the episodes for that week, and then spend the rest of it grinning to myself because I was right.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Another Person posted:

Predictions

e2; also DO NOT TELL ME if I have got these things right, or mikey or Randombattle. there is a certain joy i will get out of being right and them being wrong considering how hostile they are to my predictions. I want to watch the episodes for that week, and then spend the rest of it grinning to myself because I was right.

Well you certainly made some predictions

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Im glad this happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling that this podcast is just going to get better and better. I like how AP is clearly coming from a very different background than the other two (I do wince at your historical analysis every once in a while, especially the Caesar stuff, but whatever) and it gives him a very different perspective on the show than the other two.

It's worth remembering that this series was originally a series of books and is noteworthy for being a reasonably faithful adaptation (though supposedly the new LOGH series will be even more faithful somehow, or at least that's what they claim) and wasn't originally written by professional anime screenwriters like most anime. Also, it was direct-to-video and was never intended for a mainstream audience (an audience who buys thousands of dollars of laserdiscs is by definition not mainstream).

EDIT: Question for anyone on the podcast: Season 1 ends on episode 26. I know you do it by 4 episode chunks, but presumably you'd want to end an ep on the finale rather than having your 7th ep cover the last two episodes of Season 1 and the first two of Season 2.

Will you do two three-episode podcasts (21-23 and 24-26) or a 21-24 and a 25-26 mini-cast summing up the season?

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 20, 2016