Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

How much of the difficulty in implementing "The Vision" is due to the initial wrong choice of the CryEngine & the endless doubling down on that first terribly wrong choice?

e: 1782 catte

runsamok fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
when this thing comes tumbling down a whale will be crying, listening to the Cures "Pictures of you" looking at pictures of his javelin while a tear rolls down his cheek

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

EightAce posted:

Been thinking of titles for my tell all book when this shitshow ends.
I am quite taken with 'Stimpire of the vanities ' currently

Star Citizen: Lament Configuration

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I think all the guys at INN are p cool, especially that Dolvak guy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xanif posted:

…then again, you're named after a cereal company, only backwards.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

xanif posted:

Me too. They are pretty cool.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

runsamok posted:

How much of the difficulty in implementing "The Vision" is due to the initial wrong choice of the CryEngine & the endless doubling down on that first terribly wrong choice?

e: 1782 catte

Its not as much "choose" as it was offered by Cryteck to do his prototype used in the Kickstarter for free (or very cheaply) if he used the engine.

And that is serious catte goodness.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sandi's acting made me realize that there is someone as bad as Tommy Wiseau at acting, which is not something I ever expected.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Sandi's acting made me realize that there is someone as bad as Tommy Wiseau at acting, which is not something I ever expected.

Tommy looked like he at least tried to put some effort into it. I get no such vibe from Sandi.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

aleksendr posted:

Its not as much "choose" as it was offered by Cryteck to do his prototype used in the Kickstarter for free (or very cheaply) if he used the engine.

And that is serious catte goodness.

It's always seemed like the stupidest choice for an engine. CryEngine is pretty, but isn't really built for diverse gameplay. It's the engine you'd choose if all you wanted to do was make something pretty with zero substance or complex mechanics. Like a game about screenshots & jpgs, not fun.

Oh. Wait.

And thank you. She knows how pretty she is, so I won't pass on the compliment. She's insufferable enough as it is.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jason Sextro posted:

I did not say he had no balls. It's not true. It's bullshit! I did not say he had not balls! I did not!

Oh hi Ben.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Tommy looked like he at least tried to put some effort into it. I get no such vibe from Sandi.

Fun Fact: Sandi auditioned for the lead actress part but she was turned down

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm starting to feel like SC is really an avant-garde art project attempting to destroy the meaning of language around software development. After ~3 years I think the terms 'open development', 'pipeline', 'design', 'refactoring' and maybe a dozen other words have been so conceptually obliterated that future software teams will be reduced to grunting and rude gestures to describe their process.

The whole thing is outsider art led by an incompetent. On that level the development is fascinating as will the eventual product if we ever see it.

It's not going to be a crap game because the process is not good enough to produce a good game. It's going to be a crap game because the people in charge of the process don't even know what a good game looks like let alone understand what it takes to make one. CR will get his legacy alright, just not the one he wished for.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hi everyone, just grey-boxing a pipeline to our roadmap which will refactor a number of key ship element in our second and third passes.

Please excuse the dust!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

runsamok posted:

And thank you. She knows how pretty she is, so I won't pass on the compliment. She's insufferable enough as it is.

I am missing out on whatever some people are smoking. Her appearance isn't the issue at hand -- though I've always felt that if you point a camera at yourself and release the results to the public, it has a minimal bearing at least -- but drat is that some denial.

She'd be a lot prettier if she didn't look like she had an eating disorder and a doctor with a bucket of botox ten feet away at any given time. She gives me an alien, uncanny valley feeling, like her jaw is going to unhinge as her eyes turn solid black, and then she's going to consume someone's soul.

That being said, it's a LOT more relevant that she's both a poor actress and a terrible person to the people who have sent her and her husband money. She could be 500 pounds with terrible acne scars, if she was a decent person; it'd mean a lot more than her looks.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jon Do posted:

I am missing out on whatever you guys are smoking. Her appearance isn't the issue at hand -- though I've always felt that if you point a camera at yourself and release the results to the public, it has a minimal bearing at least -- but drat is that some denial.

She'd be a lot prettier if she didn't look like she had an eating disorder and a doctor with a bucket of botox ten feet away at any given time. She gives me an alien, uncanny valley feeling, like her jaw is going to unhinge as her eyes turn solid black, and then she's going to swallow someone whole.

That being said, it's a LOT more relevant that she's both a poor actress and a terrible person to the people who have sent her and her husband money.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but he was posting about the cat.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Hi everyone, just grey-boxing a pipeline to our roadmap which will refactor a number of key ship element in our second and third passes.

Please excuse the dust!

wow development has really been speeding up lately.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I felt kind of bad about my first versebusters episode, it was kind of mean, so I decided make episode 2 as apology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3sGCt_mAHA

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jon Do posted:

I am missing out on whatever some people are smoking. Her appearance isn't the issue at hand -- though I've always felt that if you point a camera at yourself and release the results to the public, it has a minimal bearing at least -- but drat is that some denial.

She'd be a lot prettier if she didn't look like she had an eating disorder and a doctor with a bucket of botox ten feet away at any given time. She gives me an alien, uncanny valley feeling, like her jaw is going to unhinge as her eyes turn solid black, and then she's going to consume someone's soul.

That being said, it's a LOT more relevant that she's both a poor actress and a terrible person to the people who have sent her and her husband money. She could be 500 pounds with terrible acne scars, if she was a decent person; it'd mean a lot more than her looks.

dafuq?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGz36bWJ61k

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but he was posting about the cat.

Oh, poo poo, the cat pic totally loaded in late. I had assumed there was a miscommunication between the two due to the segue from the subject of acting. I'd edit my post to avoid derail, but you quoted it all so gently caress it.

One of them scares me. The other has a beautiful coat.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think Dolvak is a very good journalist with integrity, and also smart.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jon Do posted:

Oh, poo poo, that totally loaded in late; I had assumed there was a miscommunication between the two due to the segue. I'd edit my post to avoid derail, but you quoted it all so gently caress it.

She scares me.

The second paragraph is pretty funny if you read it like somebody describing the cat tbh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

I felt kind of bad about my first versebusters episode, it was kind of mean, so I decided make episode 2 as apology

"What do you want to be finished?"

The game, please.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Daztek posted:

this is really good

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cats can be confusing at times.
Apparently.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The second paragraph is pretty funny if you read it like somebody describing the cat tbh.

Yeah, actually, it DOES describe many housecats. There's a comparison to be drawn, but I'm not smart -- or awake -- enough for that.

e: a lot of the confusion probably comes from my terrible internet connection and fact that I wasn't seeing a cat pic when I replied. humorous in hindsight, but i wouldn't have brought the subject up without thinking someone else had.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

I could barely make out what the asian guy was saying during the whole stream, but he seemed really passive aggressive.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Just wanted to give people some insight into our ship design process. First we start with the technical design document- this gives us some of the gritty details of what the ship is and lets teams start working on it. Then we move to the grey-box phase, where we work on some of the really gritty details of the ship design, the stuff that lets other teams really dig in on their work for this ship. Up next? The detailed tech design. At this point, we're really trying to hammer out the truly gritty details of the ship, the stuff that lets the artists, designers and coders get their work done. After that is a really important part of the process: the detailed integration design review. Sound complex, doesn't it? Well here's where we get into some extremely gritty details and compare the ship to other ships both in game, in testing, in coding, in development, in detailed integrated design review, in detailed tech design, in grey-box, and in tech design. Once were done with this, those artists and coders can really get started! After that we move to black-box phase of design. In black-box, we work on the grit, adding in some bacon, shredded cheese and chives, and top it with a healthy blast of Roberts' Signature Sauce. Welcome to flavortown, citizens!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

I could barely make out what the asian guy was saying during the whole stream, but he seemed really passive aggressive.

I would be mad too if I had to sit behind Ben and Jared without a fan in site.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, someone play the clip where they said they would do a LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCE OF THE LIVESTREAM soon™

And yes, they will sell tickets to have people be in the audience.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

runsamok posted:

Hard to tell because with CIG it's making the wrong decision and doubling down on it all the way down. Or to put it another way, you know the infinite worlds theory? Well even that doesn't allow for the possibility where you give CR $100 million and no oversight and he delivers a good game.

Though at least cryengine got the hilarity started early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE&t=309s

stinch fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Jon Do posted:

This has me hyperventilating so badly that my cat came over to see if I was OK.

Thank you for this.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Just wanted to give people some insight into our ship design process. First we start with the technical design document- this gives us some of the gritty details of what the ship is and lets teams start working on it. Then we move to the grey-box phase, where we work on some of the really gritty details of the ship design, the stuff that lets other teams really dig in on their work for this ship. Up next? The detailed tech design. At this point, we're really trying to hammer out the truly gritty details of the ship, the stuff that lets the artists, designers and coders get their work done. After that is a really important part of the process: the detailed integration design review. Sound complex, doesn't it? Well here's where we get into some extremely gritty details and compare the ship to other ships both in game, in testing, in coding, in development, in detailed integrated design review, in detailed tech design, in grey-box, and in tech design. Once were done with this, those artists and coders can really get started! After that we move to black-box phase of design. In black-box, we work on the grit, adding in some bacon, shredded cheese and chives, and top it with a healthy blast of Roberts' Signature Sauce. Welcome to flavortown, citizens!

Basically we're trying to eat something no one has made before in such a way no one has eaten before displayed on a platter no one has ever done before.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

runsamok posted:

The engine was a huge part of it. The doubling-down doubly so. My money on the real problem, though, is on the insistence of having FPS and space flight using a single engine with no loading screens, necessitating the logarithmic complexity in integrating FPS, space flight, gravity on multiple planes, EVA, and huge spaces to hold it all. Chris tried to build the matrix with nothing but hopes and other people's money.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

aleksendr posted:

Stop the cheap shots, please. :mediocre:

Never, this is the Star Citizen thread

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think it's time for a picture of a cat

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Like, I feel that it's very common for organizations to try and show off how as complex a diagram as possible in terms of their system architecture or business processes. These charts are meant to make you say "wow! this looks really complex! they must be very smart to pull this off, and I doubt anyone could compete with this!"

But all I see is a company that has developed a process that's complex, risk-prone and prone to quality-failures. And on top of that it's nearly impossible to figure out where bottlenecks are in the process, and adjusting them throws the entire organization out of wack.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Sound of Silence <3

This needs to be the back ground music on the documentary menu when this poo poo show all goes south.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Like, I feel that it's very common for organizations to try and show off how as complex a diagram as possible in terms of their system architecture or business processes. These charts are meant to make you say "wow! this looks really complex! they must be very smart to pull this off, and I doubt anyone could compete with this!"

But all I see is a company that has developed a process that's complex, risk-prone and prone to quality-failures. And on top of that it's nearly impossible to figure out where bottlenecks are in the process, and adjusting them throws the entire organization out of wack.

Excuse me sir they are blockers not bottlenecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

as long as they fool the kind of idiots who buy jpegs, right?

• Locked thread