Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

I think it's time for a picture of a cat

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

The engine was a huge part of it. The doubling-down doubly so. My money on the real problem, though, is on the insistence of having FPS and space flight using a single engine with no loading screens, necessitating the logarithmic complexity in integrating FPS, space flight, gravity on multiple planes, EVA, and huge spaces to hold it all. Chris tried to build the matrix with nothing but hopes and other people's money.

My question is though is how much of this added complexity is from using CryEngine as the basis of this unified experience. Would Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or something be better?

I know nothing about game engine featuresets, but can only extrapolate how bad CryEngine must be as they seem to be gutting almost everything except the renderer to make it work & endlessly blame the engine's weaknesses for reasons their bodge jobs don't quite work out.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

runsamok posted:

My question is though is how much of this added complexity is from using CryEngine as the basis of this unified experience. Would Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or something be better?

I know nothing about game engine featuresets, but can only extrapolate how bad CryEngine must be as they seem to be gutting almost everything except the renderer to make it work & endlessly blame the engine's weaknesses for reasons their bodge jobs don't quite work out.

CryTek is also furious with CIG -- CIG poached a number of senior CryTek engineers in order to have the necessary expertise to make CryEngine work with what they wanted to do. That was being pretty heavily reported a year or so ago, but they've more or less burned that bridge in order to shoehorn an engine into doing something it was never designed to do in the name of visual fidelity.

I think sometimes you have to make an early decision to design your own engine instead of using an existing one by analyzing the time and money it would take to modify existing code as opposed to crafting your own, and based on how far gone the initial deadlines are, I think CIG chose incorrectly.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 6, 2016

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

runsamok posted:

Some one much smarter then me explained that CryEngine doesn't really do vehicles well out of the box. I am sure you would have run into problems with UE4 or Unity as well with something so ambitious. I am sure there is more like how CryEngine handles maps size and stuff like that I am not sure the other engines do it better though. Really it sounded like this game needed a custom engine because it was doing some pretty radical ideas.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vire posted:

Excuse me sir they are blockers not bottlenecks.

That's another thing I love, as a project manager. When a company starts developing their own jargon for things that probably don't need it. Blockers seems like a fine term in itself, but there's nothing better than trying to get people up to speed on a project and have your company's language be one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EightAce posted:

Been thinking of titles for my tell all book when this shitshow ends.
I am quite taken with 'Stimpire of the vanities ' currently

Pledge Fiction

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Vire posted:

Excuse me sir they are blockers not bottlenecks.

More like beta blockers, for when Ben's heart finally gives in.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

runsamok posted:

Others know far more than I do about this, but what I've gleaned from those people is that CryEngine was almost the worst possible choice, except that Chris was impressed with the visuals. Since this "game" is nothing more than giving gaming media impressive screen captures, and selling people pretty looking ships, it was the perfect choice for a scam rather than a game.

Chris is a lot like his backers in that he is an autist who is easy to fool, and bright lights and pretty pictures impress and captivate him.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 6, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

Others know far more than I do about this, but what I've gleaned from those people is that CryEngine was almost the worst possible choice, except that Chris was impressed with the visuals. Since this "game" is nothing more than giving gaming media impressive screen captures, and selling people pretty looking ships, it was the perfect choice for a scam rather than a game.

Chris was more impressed with Crytek offering to make all the in-engine rendered promotional videos for the kickstarter.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

fuctifino posted:

i certainly wasn't expecting a visit by an imperator-lord of the stimpire!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I tried the alpha, it was pretty boring. Funny thing, I recorded some of it with Shadowplay, and the files are labeled "Squadron 42 - Star Citizen".

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
There is only one blocker and it's name is Chris Roberts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Star Marine was only a blocker or two from being released.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any info on the greater cosmology of the SC universe? Who are the top gods and where are the sweet planes of existence? What happens when u die in SC?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Khanstant posted:

What happens when u die in SC?

You get out of bed.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Khanstant posted:

What happens when u die in SC?

u die irl

jpeg art online

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

I tried the alpha, it was pretty boring. Funny thing, I recorded some of it with Shadowplay, and the files are labeled "Squadron 42 - Star Citizen".

Um actually if you kept up to date you'd know that the different modules are in different, non-alpha stages.

Player Hangar: pre-beta, 2nd pass, version 3
Arena Commander: post-alpha, amber review status
PU: pseudo-alpha with phased enhancement segmentation
Online pledge donation system: released!!
Online media and community centers: released!!
Ship sales module: closed-beta
Ship Insurance Dealership: closed-alpha
Ship Carwash: proof-of-concept w/ release to premium backers
Ship repo yard for reversed pledges: released!!

Also, all of them are still more robust and complete than any game* I have played in recent years. So please stop trolling and see you in the 'verse!

edit: Star Marine: released!!*

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Is there any info on the greater cosmology of the SC universe? Who are the top gods and where are the sweet planes of existence? What happens when u die in SC?

The "legit" answer is all your gear & consciousness transfers to your pre-selected next-of-kin & you start the whole cycle over. It's like space buddhism. The eight fold path of Christ Roberts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I bit the bullet so others wouldn't have to suffer… :eng99:

quote:

• Hangar expansion
• Casaba outlet (IG shop)
↳ Character & ship customisation w/ persistence
↳ Item purchases and renting
• Item system 2.0
• Power management
• Nyx landing zone (interior)
↳ Exterior w/ procedural planet generation
• Cargo & loot drops
• NPC pirates
• MP party system
• Performance
• More missions
• Physicalised EVA (again)
• Game manual

Ships:
• Starfarer
• Reliant
• Sabre
• Constellation & Freelancer variants
• Prowler
• Xi’an scout
• Herald

Funny how no actual game mechanics seem to be on these lists.

Thanks for that, I'd sorta of skipped through it once before and trying to do it twice to confirm it was the video I remembered was painful.

It's the layered delusions that get me every time, that guy is downright nasty to anyone who doesn't have his faith. All the evidence points to CIG not being able to do anything at all on time, but recent events would also confirm they can't do anything well or even remotely as described either. The same people who make excuses for all this behaviour will then say "Chris Roberts has now said" as if that means anything, anything at all. It's just all totally bizarre to me.

For over two years now I've wanted people here not to get burnt by having too much money in this "game", after a while I wanted anyone who read the thread to at least be informed about what's going on and make their own decision (a strong hint to get your money out). Now I'm starting to think if CIG are being this obvious about ripping people off maybe those people need to learn a harsh lesson.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Star Marine was only a blocker Chris Roberts or two from being released.

Chris Roberts is the ultimate blocker.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Exterminate! Exterminate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk

AP posted:

Thanks for that, I'd sorta of skipped through it once before and trying to do it twice to confirm it was the video I remembered was painful.

It's the layered delusions that get me every time, that guy is downright nasty to anyone who doesn't have his faith. All the evidence points to CIG not being able to do anything at all on time, but recent events would also confirm they can't do anything well or even remotely as described either. The same people who make excuses for all this behaviour will then say "Chris Roberts has now said" as if that means anything, anything at all. It's just all totally bizarre to me.

For over two years now I've wanted people here not to get burnt by having too much money in this "game", after a while I wanted anyone who read the thread to at least be informed about what's going on and make their own decision (a strong hint to get your money out). Now I'm starting to think if CIG are being this obvious about ripping people off maybe those people need to learn a harsh lesson.

Yeah, he goes on a whole lot about stuff that Chris has said and how this means that it will be finished any day now. Anything that has been shown in some state or another is somehow inherently “just around the corner” because if it can appear on screen, it must surely be as good as finished, right? While there might be the tiniest smidgen of truth to that as far as graphical assets go, he will happily apply the same logic to anything that actually involves some underlying mechanics and back-end. Images of a store have appeared, so the entire back-end and economy required for one to exist must necessarily be in place too. Hell, he keeps mentioning that ships are in some grey-box stage, which somehow means it's just some finishing touches that are missing — actually making all the underlying systems work is just a small matter of programming. Somehow.

At no point does he seem to display any awareness of how visuals are not the same thing as mechanics or dynamics or backend systems. If it can be rendered, it is done; the more of it can be rendered, the more it is done. It's almost scary how assured he is of the impending release of all that functionality based solely on that logic.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 6, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

What's the deal with the eyes on these things? They look like a missing texture error.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
My housemate has just asked me how Star Citizen got this point.

I've been reading this thread consistently and I still don't have a solid answer. Mental illness is the best one I've got?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That's a cool looking fish, in my unartistic opinion. What's $1000 UEC worth?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

That's a cool looking fish, in my unartistic opinion. What's $1000 UEC worth?

$1USD

Which makes the 100 UEC War Bonds they gave away to backers for the $100M "thank you" gift worth a cool thin dime!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

My housemate has just asked me how Star Citizen got this point.

I've been reading this thread consistently and I still don't have a solid answer. Mental illness is the best one I've got?

It's a religion, it really is. There's no real evidence of a game, even their electric golf carts explode, you just have to have faith.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You know how their ships have a bunch of extraneous wings and poo poo?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Vire posted:

Some one much smarter then me explained that CryEngine doesn't really do vehicles well out of the box. I am sure you would have run into problems with UE4 or Unity as well with something so ambitious. I am sure there is more like how CryEngine handles maps size and stuff like that I am not sure the other engines do it better though. Really it sounded like this game needed a custom engine because it was doing some pretty radical ideas.

Cryengine is bad at physics. Its not what it was designed for since its supposed to be used for visual spectacle FPS. No game serious about vehicles use it except Mechwarrior Online and many mock it by calling it "Turret warrior Online" because you cant feel a difference between the handling of a 20 tons and 100 tons mech beside speed and acceleration.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

AP posted:

You're a better man than I.

The first time I heard about their pledge system and how many of the ships were hundreds of dollars are more, it struck me. 'It's probably a scam', I thought. 'But even if it isn't, balancing a game based on who spent thousands of dollars is a terrible idea.'

Considering how long this has been going on, if you haven't gotten a refund by now, I don't have it in me to be sympathetic to you. Particularly if you're in for over $100.

But then, I didn't have sympathy for people when Derek started being publicly opposed, and that was last year. Kind of my whole skepticism of Mr. Smart's campaign, though I agree with it... why save people with money in this? They've made their own bed, let them lie in it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Mt4-LzCXk

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Well, you where warned to vacate, where you not ?

Working as intended.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

I've never priced my EA game at $100. What are you talking about?

At one time you did, or at least you planned to.

Derek posted:

To all commanders & rookies alike:

First, @lodonline is not a beta-as-release game.

Some people don't understand the premise and logic of an Early Release.

So start here:

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq

The game is not due out until the fall.

As the announcement indicates, this EA is our way of doing a wider public test and using backend tools we don't need to or want to develop. Which is what we'd otherwise have to do outside of Steam.

http://www.3000ad.com/2014/06/line-of-defense-headed-to-early-access/

Unlike most EA games, as with all our games over the years, LOD is fully funded and we're not looking for money to finish the game.

The game was setup for Steam awhile back. For an EA type release, instead of a standard one, it is basically a case of flipping a switch. Which we did after discussing our plans, pricing etc with Valve.

The $99 EA price tag - which has a LOT of perks - ensures that only serious people who can provide meaningful feedback through their commitment, need apply. And for that they get a lot more than they would if they waited for the final game release.

We're simply not interested in letting freeloaders gain early access to the game, not provide meaningful - if any - feedback, while we foot the bill for the backend services, servers, bandwidth etc

We're a SMALL independent game dev making a MASSIVE game in a genre dominated and monopolized by SOE and their popular @planetside2 series. In contrast, from start to finish, LOD was developed by less than ten people. Including third-party contractors. Yeah.

And unlike those other guys, we don't take your money, then plonk you in useless assets (how do you like that hanger now?), a largely unfinished product or a product that may not even see the light of day. I don't even need to defend against that premise; go look at my game releases. While they may not be everyone's cup of tea, we still keep making them because we have and know our audience.

You get in on the EA, you will be in on the ground floor of the development and as always with direct access to me - and all the fun and shenanigans that entails.

The response in question

The blog post cited in the response

I only paid :10bux: so my question is still what it was that made you change your mind.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

At one time you did, or at least you planned to.

The response in question

The blog post cited in the response

I only paid :10bux: so my question is still what it was that made you change your mind.

You just Derek Smart'ed Derek Smart. Congrats on breaking reality AND the legal system. Expect lawyers at your door within 2 weeks.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Great Expectations (of lawyers)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The thread is moving at an all-time slow.

I think im going to go redbox Hitman and The Last Witch Hunter to kill some time.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

grimcreaper posted:

You just Derek Smart'ed Derek Smart. Congrats on breaking reality AND the legal system. Expect lawyers at your door within 2 weeks.

I've gone into hiding. :ninja:

Also Derek - what I meant to show was the server unavailable message on the login screen, which I ought to have specifically mentioned, whoops.

Edited: only server #1 won't let me log into the game proper. Server #2 works if I switch to it.

Haskell9 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Derek has gotten thicker skinned since he started posting here luckily

• Locked thread