Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

so curious about the numbers they're getting from this...

They've sold about 12000 ships in ~12 days & I think around a million bucks has come in. Not all of that is inside the free-fly window, but it's hardly a rousing success.

Of course, their burn rate means a million bucks also went out the door & that's not even counting the grift from the big cheeses.

runsamok fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

In the realm of questions I already know the answer to- have they (Ben, Lando, any of the devs) provided any examples of where parts of their development process have accelerated? I know they constantly like to say "things are really picking up!", but is there an activity or activity group in the project they can point to and say "it used to take us X hours to do this design doc, now it takes us 1/2 that!" or something?

They're really accelerating on the dropping of features front

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

fuctifino posted:

If twitch is anything to go by, a disappointing amount

It's pre-alpha, I for one am not at all surprised to see "Game Development" having a higher number. Actually, I'd be surprised if there were 90+ people actually working on the game right now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

At this point I feel like the Zybourne Clock has a better chance of being released than this.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

1787 :australia:

e: I'm so bad at patriotism, I got the date of invasion wrong. I'm a history major. :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 7, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What about Tau?

Tau > *. For real. gently caress yes Hammerheads.

Edit: loving with Theroadbeer isn't all that fun. But I picture that my asking why he's such a creepy stalker of Beer sent him into a mouth frothing rage. Because my twitter blew up.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 7, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Thronde posted:

So whats the number of yards you have to stay away from school zones?

e: Tau are the anime ones, right?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thronde posted:

Dont worry, the Tau will just get clobbered by a Bane Blade or any of the dozens of variants that still trash all over the Tau.

Eldar > Tau.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

So whats the number of yards you have to stay away from school zones?

e: Tau are the anime ones, right?

If by anime you mean cool loving robots and rail guns, then yes. But anime or not, big loving rail guns and mechs and mother loving dinosaurs.

I roll either Tyranid or Tau in the DoW games.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

EightAce posted:

Been thinking of titles for my tell all book when this shitshow ends.
I am quite taken with 'Stimpire of the vanities ' currently

A Sale By Two Mittys

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Has any one in LA who sunk money into this filed a lawsuit against CIG in small claims court yet? Normally it's a pain to file a small claims court against a tech company since you have to file where they have a physical presence, but CIG is conveniently headquartered in LA County. And in California, companies cannot hire a lawyer to defend themselves in small claims court--it has to be an officer or agent of the company.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Star Citizen is in pre-alpha by all rights looking at the proposed feature list vs what they have out there, sure. The problem with this is they are touting what amounts to a pre-alpha level of work as the actual game itself. It's like if I begin constructing a building and as soon as I dig out a big hole for a basement, I say that the building is about halfway done and all we need to do is run electrical and ductwork for AC.

In my mind, pre-pre-alpha is basically "I did some thinking today on how I want to begin coding player locomotion"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Iglocska posted:

Wow. I mean I envy people that have crazy self-confidence, but this is borderline clinical.

This is a great chance to pull a Smart and self reference!!

Solarin posted:

I've been working on a theory about the original marketing plan for this game mass delusion and think I'm pretty close. SC thread please peer review my model.

I am legit fascinated by the combination of personality disorder (from pretty much everyone involved including us) and exploitation on display here.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Young Freud posted:

Someone said that video needs to be linked as evidence when ever pursuing a chargeback. I really think that video link needs to be put in as a response to any refund denial and that Ben and Jared both signed off that the game wasn't finished by a long shot.

better save that video before they take it down

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MeLKoR posted:

Now that the new pipeline is in pre-alpha things are going to be much faster.
Unfortunately every time you flush CIG's new pipeline gets clogged.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Young Freud posted:

Someone said that video needs to be linked as evidence when ever pursuing a chargeback. I really think that video link needs to be put in as a response to any refund denial and that Ben and Jared both signed off that the game wasn't finished by a long shot.

CIG's refund policy isn't a question of logic, it's a question of intimidation. That said you want a record of you making a steady argument during your refund request so that when you later submit the chargeback you can point to that e-mail chain as supporting evidence.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

grimcreaper posted:

I love the Tau tech and looks, but they are bad. Like, evil bad. Orks are just nuts so they are better than Tau.

Orks are awesome in their own right, but the Imperial Guard are just.. well, lets solve the problem with BANE BLADES FOR EVERYTHING.

The difference between Orks and humies is that while humies will solve the problem with a Bane Blade, Orks will solve the problem by putting an actual blade on a Bane Blade.

QED.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mirificus posted:

Speaking of not knowing how game development works:

Thread closed for not understanding game development

I love how they stop people from contributing by citing a forum law about how you have to contribute.

This whole thing is so blatantly a scam at this point, I mean maybe thats the wrong word.
Would it have been a scam if the Titanic crew had pretended they hadn't hit an iceberg?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Warhammer 40k is a game about actual physical miniatures that exists, therefore it is clearly for losers and doesn't belong in this thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

With :pgabz: it is safe to applaud without even watching the video, even if this one did disappoint me a bit with the music choices...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mirificus posted:

Speaking of not knowing how game development works:

Thread closed for not understanding game development

It's funny because everything in the forums is rumor and speculation because there is hardly anything actually in the game yet.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The difference between Orks and humies is that while humies will solve the problem with a Bane Blade, Orks will solve the problem by putting an actual blade on a Bane Blade.

QED.

Because they're not smart enough to operate the ELEVEN BARRELS OF HELL

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Enchanted Hat posted:

Warhammer 40k is a game about actual physical miniatures that exists, therefore it is clearly for losers and doesn't belong in this thread.

It's also an unbalanced piece of poo poo that is only still played by people who have sunk in a ton of money they'll never get back

So

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

QED.

After paintiing it red, SOZ IT GOES FASTAH!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

QED.

Hmm.. very true. "Needs more spikey things!" a friend of mine always said. And then he would draw the ork jaw armor things on everything.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Thronde posted:

If by anime you mean cool loving robots and rail guns, then yes. But anime or not, big loving rail guns and mechs and mother loving dinosaurs.

I roll either Tyranid or Tau in the DoW games.

As someone who never got into WH, I've always felt Tau were amazing. Constantly being told they're the lowest rung on the ladder of power, always kept me from really getting involved. Not to discount the insane price of miniatures.

gently caress you GW.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

40k and star citizen are uncomfortably similar

but at least i can hold my painted dollies in my hand

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One time Orkz destroyed a planet by throwing the space hulk that they cannibalized and turned into a giant gun into reverse

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Daztek posted:

Because they're not smart enough to operate the ELEVEN BARRELS OF HELL

This guy. This guy has the right idea.

Kasrkin Squad ready for war.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wulfling posted:

As someone who never got into WH, I've always felt Tau were amazing. Constantly being told they're the lowest rung on the ladder of power, always kept me from really getting involved. Not to discount the insane price of miniatures.

gently caress you GW.

You know, humans that join the Tau "for the greater good" get sterilized, right? So, yeah, a bit of the Tau Stimpire that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the current state of warhammer fans is basically imagine 20 years into the future when shitizens hate their broken, partially existent game but can't stop themselves from spending money on it out of habit and because they like to imagine what they'll do in the verse and its fun with friends at least

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

This guy. This guy has the right idea.

Kasrkin Squad ready for war.

Except, if you do the math, there's only ten barrels.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Zecumbe totally got me.I didn't see this turn of events.

gently caress off goonies TM was just too good to be true. :negative:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

at least CIG is scamming nerds by promising them their dream game, Games Workshop is scamming nerds while shouting "gently caress you no we don't make games i don't know how you got this idea, where's your loving wallet you twat?"

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

40k and star citizen are uncomfortably similar

but at least i can hold my painted dollies in my hand

Well they do dislike their fan bases equally as much.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

You know, humans that join the Tau "for the greater good" get sterilized, right? So, yeah, a bit of the Tau Stimpire that.

Don't Care! Get to be a loving Robot!.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Except, if you do the math, there's only ten barrels.

The eleventh barrel is my sword. DRIVE ME CLOSER!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What do you guys think is the projected outcome of this project? How long until their funding dries up and what do you think the finished game will like?

I'm kinda surprised they have (seemingly) managed to put in planet landings, even if its just a tech demo. I'm not sure if they'll ever make the actual space flight enjoyable though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'd be curious to know if the free fly 2 WEEKS isn't actually doing damage to star citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone remember what came after the previous wh40k phase of this thread?

• Locked thread