Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Samizdata posted:

You know, humans that join the Tau "for the greater good" get sterilized, right? So, yeah, a bit of the Tau Stimpire that.

How would that make any difference to a WH40k fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

What do you guys think is the projected outcome of this project? How long until their funding dries up and what do you think the finished game will like?

I'm kinda surprised they have (seemingly) managed to put in planet landings, even if its just a tech demo. I'm not sure if they'll ever make the actual space flight enjoyable though.

Im going to predict funding will not run out.

Mr. Smart claims to have first hand knowledge that the company has less than a years worth of funds left, but EightAce (who supposedly works for CiG) says they have a "surprising amount of cash in reserve" and most likely will have enough to coast through till sometime q1 2017.

My guess is that funding will keep slowing down until it hits 30k a day for several weeks straight at which point non-stop LTI ship sales will start happening and sales will skyrockets to 200k+ per day as backers scramble to aid the company and prevent them from going under.

And then Squadron 42 launches, its sales absolutely fail becuase the market is already 99% saturated. and then the whales begin to buy extra copies to keep supporting the game. Sales trickle off as people can only own so many copies of the same game and cant give them away.

Then Squadron 42 Episode 2 is rushed out, adding 3 more missions and 47 hours of unskippable cut scenes mostly solo-starring Sandi Gardner, the TRUE hero of the story.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Was it ever determined whether the UEE Fleet number was an accurate count of ships? I'm looking at historical data, and there are a few interesting instances where the fleet # stays the same or decreases, while the funding continues to increase. For instance, back in October 9-12, the fleet number decreased by 171 while funding went up by 1.7 million.

Also, it's apparently still possible to get the fleet number, it's just not visible on the website.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

What do you guys think is the projected outcome of this project? How long until their funding dries up and what do you think the finished game will like?

10 hours of poorly written and animated cutscenes(unskippable), a handful of scripted missions padded out with a bunch of ubisoft style open world busy work so they can claim xx hours of gameplay. The "mmo" part will be pretty much what it is now with some poo poo copy pasted to make the universe bigger. Lots of tears.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

boviscopophobic posted:

Was it ever determined whether the UEE Fleet number was an accurate count of ships? I'm looking at historical data, and there are a few interesting instances where the fleet # stays the same or decreases, while the funding continues to increase. For instance, back in October 9-12, the fleet number decreased by 171 while funding went up by 1.7 million.

Also, it's apparently still possible to get the fleet number, it's just not visible on the website.

Only Sandi, the best and greatest sales women since she was a little girl can tell you about actual historical data becuase she is also a History Major PhD. from a reputable school of historical learnings.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wulfling posted:

Don't Care! Get to be a loving Robot!.

A battlesuit. Not a robot.

The Kroot are awesome though. Tougher than us? Well then, once we kill one of you, we'll eat you and absorb the DNA we need to be more badass.

grimcreaper posted:

The eleventh barrel is my sword. DRIVE ME CLOSER!

Yes, my Commissar! In The Emperor's Name! But first I must :golfclap:

We approach! Sound the klaxons!

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRP!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Daztek posted:

Does anyone remember what came after the previous wh40k phase of this thread?

Cattes

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hi, ho! Kermit "Big Frog" Laphroaig here, and I am the leader and chief cook & bottle-washer of the Diamond Frogs, Elite: Dangerous' answer to Goonfleet, or whatever.

Recently came to my attention 20-loving-thousand posts back that Lowtax is giving out free accounts to CIG Forum refugees, so's they can talk about Star Citizen in a non-toxic environment/general deprogrammification. And it was an actual account, not a jpeg of an account.

For those new goons, here's the skinny: a lot of goons were Star Citizen backers, and most of them bailed months ago. A great deal bought into Elite: Dangerous and, despite Frontier Developments best efforts, most are still playing. Since Star Citizen has been the greatest Elite: Dangerous recruiting tool I have ever seen, I wanted to do something for you poor unfortunate souls now forced to turn to the comedy forums of Something Awful.

So, if you wanna try out the base game which is like 15 bucks on steam, but don't want to spend several hours getting into a cooler ship, I am offering help to any former Star Citizen backer, past present and future, to help them get going towards the ship of their dreams.

Now I am not going to help you grind out a 150 million credit Anaconda overnight - but I can help you get into something like, say, an Asp to jump-start your Commandering Career like a goddamn pro, and give you tips and things. A couple million credits and a pat on the rear end later and you'll be dancing, friend. All for zero actual real life dollars. Holy poo poo! No catch. Holier poo poo!!

You'll also be honorary members of the Diamond Frogs (ok one catch) because as many complaints as Elite gets, it's a game that really needs a thriving community to shine. People need something to do, and we will give it to them, by Jesus. Sure, we might slap you into an Eagle with no shields and just railguns for an "adventure" but at the moment you have no idea what that means, nor the general significance of the :getin: emote, so we'll kill two birds with one stone.

Ready? :getin:

To apply, just go to this thread and follow the instructions in the first post. In your application. Throw in a "PAAAAARP" in the form or application, so we know you're down with the sickness. That way we know what money making schemeswe want to test out on you proven stable income methods to assign you.

You'll be out of your starter sidewinder and into a cozy Viper Mk IV in no time at all, Commando! Except in this game you actually ARE playing as a Commander, not an alpha as one. Wear it with pride.

I am sure this post will get buried soon so pass this poo poo the gently caress on. Tell it to your friends. Like flames passed on from torch to torch let the legend of the Diamond Frogs grow.

See you at Mother Goat, Commanders. o7

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

How would that make any difference to a WH40k fan?

Dunno. I am a WH40K fan and I like having working junk. :shrug:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

Hi, ho! Kermit "Big Frog" Laphroaig here, and I am the leader and chief cook & bottle-washer of the Diamond Frogs, Elite: Dangerous' answer to Goonfleet, or whatever.

Recently came to my attention 20-loving-thousand posts back that Lowtax is giving out free accounts to CIG Forum refugees, so's they can talk about Star Citizen in a non-toxic environment/general deprogrammification. And it was an actual account, not a jpeg of an account.

For those new goons, here's the skinny: a lot of goons were Star Citizen backers, and most of them bailed months ago. A great deal bought into Elite: Dangerous and, despite Frontier Developments best efforts, most are still playing. Since Star Citizen has been the greatest Elite: Dangerous recruiting tool I have ever seen, I wanted to do something for you poor unfortunate souls now forced to turn to the comedy forums of Something Awful.

So, if you wanna try out the base game which is like 15 bucks on steam, but don't want to spend several hours getting into a cooler ship, I am offering help to any former Star Citizen backer, past present and future, to help them get going towards the ship of their dreams.

Now I am not going to help you grind out a 150 million credit Anaconda overnight - but I can help you get into something like, say, an Asp to jump-start your Commandering Career like a goddamn pro, and give you tips and things. A couple million credits and a pat on the rear end later and you'll be dancing, friend. All for zero actual real life dollars. Holy poo poo! No catch. Holier poo poo!!

You'll also be honorary members of the Diamond Frogs (ok one catch) because as many complaints as Elite gets, it's a game that really needs a thriving community to shine. People need something to do, and we will give it to them, by Jesus. Sure, we might slap you into an Eagle with no shields and just railguns for an "adventure" but at the moment you have no idea what that means, nor the general significance of the :getin: emote, so we'll kill two birds with one stone.

To apply, just go to this thread and follow the instructions in the first post. In your application. Throw in a "PAAAAARP" in the form or application, so we know you're down with the sickness. That way we know what money making schemeswe want to test out on you proven stable income methods to assign you.

You'll be out of your starter sidewinder and into a cozy Viper Mk IV in no time at all, Commando! Except in this game you actually ARE playing as a Commander, not an alpha as one. Wear it with pride.

I am sure this post will get buried soon so pass this poo poo the gently caress on. Tell it to your friends. Like flames passed on from torch to torch let the legend of the Diamond Frogs grow.

Does this game have birds? If not, that's a deal breaker

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Literally Kermit posted:

A public service, truly. Paaaaaaaaaaaarp-ibbit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

grimcreaper posted:

The eleventh barrel is my sword. DRIVE ME CLOSER!

And thus we get back to the blade that the Orks have already added.

In the end Orks win. Even when they lose, they get to fight another day so it counts as a win.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

runsamok posted:

They've sold about 12000 ships in ~12 days & I think around a million bucks has come in. Not all of that is inside the free-fly window, but it's hardly a rousing success.

Of course, their burn rate means a million bucks also went out the door & that's not even counting the grift from the big cheeses.

Where you got those numbers? They don't publish ship sales do they?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

It's not exactly what I remembered, but as far as I can tell none of the deliverables described in this thing have materialized. CIG hasn't even mentioned them, so this is probably another plan that croberts or one of his cronies crushed.

All hype.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

nopantsjack posted:

I love how they stop people from contributing by citing a forum law about how you have to contribute.

This whole thing is so blatantly a scam at this point, I mean maybe thats the wrong word.
Would it have been a scam if the Titanic crew had pretended they hadn't hit an iceberg?

Ask rather whether it would be a scam if they had kept selling tickets

and called the iceberg a "what we have always promised from the very very beginning"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

Because they're not smart enough to operate the ELEVEN BARRELS OF HELL

They're too busy adding a twelfth barrel.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kermit is a good person and diamond frogs is cool. If you like space games you should join him

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Literally Kermit posted:

Elite is cool and good and a fun distraction.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Kermit is a good person and diamond frogs is cool. If you like space games you should join him

IMO

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

Does this game have birds? If not, that's a deal breaker

There are ships named after birds Is that good enough?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm too dumb to do more than kill a pirate or two and then get interdicted by someone way out of my league and completely destroyed but if you aren't an idiot go have fun

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You should use your $1300 to buy everyone in the thread a copy of Elite

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

No Mods No Masters posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

lore, explained:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There are ships named after birds Is that good enough?

Only if they are procedurally generated

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Hmm I'm gonna buy my waifu something with it I think

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

boviscopophobic posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Where you got those numbers? They don't publish ship sales do they?

They took it off the Funding page, but the fleet count is on the front page, 3/4 of the way down.

As to the figure about there 12 days, I posted in a Reddit thread when it was @ 902k 11 days ago.

That being said, it's also true we have no real loving clue what any of these numbers really mean.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Eonwe posted:

Also if you join up you can get on voice chat and find out why his name is so

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I really want to try Elite but their dumb versions make me feel like I would miss out on a billion things if I don't get Horizons plus season pass and those are too expensive for me to care

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So active citizens = forum accounts registered, and fleet number = total active ships purchased?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Jason Sextro posted:

Sandi's acting made me realize that there is someone as bad as Tommy Wiseau at acting, which is not something I ever expected.

:eyepop:

It's true, Sandi is the female Tommy Wisseau. I can almost hear her yell to Gary Oldman "You're tearing me apart, Gary!"

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

fuctifino posted:

So active citizens = forum accounts registered, and fleet number = total active ships purchased?

I believe so, yes. Maybe? Some people say fleet count doesn't count packages but that makes no sense since the game downloads are attached to ships in the hangar, not the other way around. I wouldn't put it past CIG either way.

e: removed ambiguous "it"

runsamok fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 7, 2016

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
reporting in from commando duty in olisar it was great. :pwn:

amazing adventure with t-pose spaceman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpIShGZ_dFw

just don't.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

That's what lando said

I can't believe they still get those numbers. I guess they still get a boost from the glorious 2.0 release or some poo poo?

It would be cool if they had pulled a Bernie Maddoff, but I'm still leaning towards Poe's law on this poo poo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And thus we get back to the blade that the Orks have already added.

In the end Orks win. Even when they lose, they get to fight another day so it counts as a win.

Plus Gork and Mork were pleased.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tastychicken posted:

reporting in from commando duty in olisar it was great. :pwn:

amazing adventure with t-pose spaceman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpIShGZ_dFw

just don't.

Pretty immersive imo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Daztek posted:

Seconded. I would love to join the Diamond Frogs, but too poor for plastic. Makes Steam purchases tough.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Literally Kermit posted:

who is that anime character in your av?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Kakarot posted:

who is that anime character in your av?

one of the stock characters in facerig

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's what lando said

I can't believe they still get those numbers. I guess they still get a boost from the glorious 2.0 release or some poo poo?

It would be cool if they had pulled a Bernie Maddoff, but I'm still leaning towards Poe's law on this poo poo

It's impossible to get how many real unique backers there are, given there's people like this:

How many Space Kias does one whale loving need!? Even if you wanted to throw money at CR, why buy multiple lovely econoboxes?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-answers-10-more-fan-questions/1100-6434580/

quote:

Roberts also mentioned DayZ as a game with a good "risk/reward" system built in.

"To some extent DayZ had a bit of that where you died, you died; you lost everything," he said. "It's the emergent player behavior that came from that was fairly interesting. I'm not sure we'll necessarily we're going to be anywhere close to as harsh as that, but it definitely highlighted the fact that, the advantages you can get from perma-death in terms of people feeling invested in what they worked for."

lmao at mentioning DayZ.

edit: oh I guess this is just a rehash of 10ftc that I didn't watch.

• Locked thread