Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
ATTENTION IF YOU SEE IT ON THE LPARCHIVE: DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME YOURSELF, IT IS UTTER TRASH AND YOU ARE ALMOST CERTAIN TO REMEMBER IT AS BEING BETTER THAN IT IS, THAT'S THE GAME BEING SO FORGETTABLE THAT IT DECEIVES YOU INTO REMEMBERING IT AS PASSABLE. YOUR MEMORY JUST BLOCKED 80% OF IT OUT, BELIEVE ME!

Thanks for the thread title to Bobbin Threadbare!

Also known as:
1) Kain's face of horror was the realisation that Blood Omen 2 happened (Iretep)
2) My god, the Hylden! Raziel, Blood Omen 2 must stay dead! (Iretep)
3) My god, Blood Omen 2! We walked right into its trap! (Oblivion4568238)
4) Blood Omen 2: I knew by the look on Kain's face that this time we had strained the limits of good taste perhaps too far. (George)
5) You are still sane of mind, That will go first: Lets Play Blood Omen 2. (Rigged Death Trap)
6) When it comes to Blood Omen 2, oblivion can be a mercy. (double nine)
7) This game will render you hideous: Lets play Blood Omen 2 (Rigged Death Trap)
8) 4 Balls on the Edge of a Cliff (A Blood Omen 2 Screenshot LP) (Male of the Century)

Other LoK things:
Blood Omen: playlist/thread/archive
Soul Reaver: playlist/thread/archive
Soul Reaver 2: playlist/thread/archive

The game

So, this tasteless abomination. Developed by a different team than the SR/SR2/Defiance team, this game is what I see as the [Star Wars] prequel of the LoK franchise. As in, there are some cool concepts, there is some enjoyment (POST-LP EDIT: FOR THE FIRST 45 MINUTES), but it's mostly crap that is a) completely out of place in a Legacy of Kain game and/or b) was put in the game with the sole purpose of selling and c) lack of writing. Marketing department required that blood and INCREDIBLE EVIL and boobs are put in the game, so these things were put in the game. With genuine sorrow I must admit that whichever marketing genius thought of that was absolutely right and the game sold well. Ah, what can you do, sex and violence do sell. Yay for Eidos marketing department, I guess.
Also, everything is a switch and the combat is repetitive as hell.
There was also next to none coordination of efforts between the teams, resulting in the BO2 team pretty much doing their thing independently and with minimal input from the "main" team, resulting in plotholes that were only partially fixed by Amy Hennig in the course of development of SR2 and Defiance.
Finally, the game is excrutiatingly boring and repetitive after the first 2 hours of gameplay.

The LP
1) I am not alone. Suffering with me through Blood Omen 2 (well, most of it) will be Zain, who's currently also doing a Resident Evil 5 co-op LP.
2) This is a low-effort LP. "Low-effort" here means that I don't have a pre-run and don't bother with additional lore research like I did for the first three games, nor am I going to become "that guy on YouTube who broke the game", which is what I am for SR2. Where I suffer, you suffer. Where Zain suffers, you suffer. Where I am incompetent, you suffer. Where I stumble around in one place for too drat long, I just make cuts. However, the LP is still (mostly) in post-commentary (note: the last third of the LP is done live, because that was the only way for me to preserve my sanity) without yelling or excessive laughter (except when I have very literal nervous breakdowns) and with my own graphics that are totally not re-used from BO1 and whatnot.
3) There is abolutely no reality in which I will be done with the LP as fast as I was with the Soul Reaver games, as Zain and I have 8 hours of time difference and we are confined to weekends. It takes time itself to control me, for I have no self-control whatsoever.
4) My thumbnails on Youtube are a work of art :v:

The thread

1) Spoilers. Most of the things in BO2 somehow tie into the overall LoK storyline due to SR2 and Defiance. As such, I don't want to see untagged spoilers of things that pertain to the overall story (e.g. Janos, the Hylden invasion), but I don't give a flying gently caress about things like the Nexus stone, the Eternal prison, or whatever whacky vampire bosses are in the game. The only exception is that Vorador's resurrection will become fair game after Part 2 and not right away, as I want to see how many people not familiar with LoK and/or not remembering BO2 in detail (who can blame you) notice it by themselves. I'm fairly certain that there will be people who read the OP first and then proceed to the vids.
2) Feel free to discuss whatever Chakan things you can come up with. In fact, make it a Chakan thread for all I care, it can't be worse than what we will endure in the BO2 lategame :v:

Videos:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Vae Victis - suffering to the conquered. Ironic that now I was the one suffering. Not anything as pedestrian as physical pain. Rather the cruel jab of impotent anger - the hunger for revenge

I awoke to the pain of a new existence, in a dank womb of darkness and decay.

The winds carried screams from the west... I could not help but smile. Someone in this world was suffering more than me.

George posted:

Just gonna leave this here:

Sindai posted:

The Blood Omen The 2: The Definite Articling

Xoidanor posted:

Official production budget of this Blood Omen 2 LP: at least 579 + 234 krona. :stare:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So
When the boss fight starts one of my extensions started playing this:
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Ayarkhaan+Enemy

It fit so goddamn well.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Heres to you, alexey

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 30, 2016

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Vae Victis - suffering to the conquered. Ironic that now I was the one suffering. Not anything as pedestrian as physical pain. Rather the cruel jab of impotent anger - the hunger for revenge

The winds carried screams from the west... I could not help but smile. Someone in this world was suffering more than me.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I and my abs are dying now, thank you for this

One thing that I never actually mentioned: I have recorded the footage for three videos, but 5 seconds into the fourth the game froze. None of the progress was saved. So I'll have to play through the first hour of the game once more

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Gah, Crystal Dynamics are... Incredibly inconsistent, as a studio. At their high points, you have things like the Tomb Raider reboot. At their worst?

...Says it all, really.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Truth be told, there's some good moments to this game. However, most of them are from Simon Templeman's always brilliant acting as Kain. The gameplay itself is... well, I think we all know already.

My PS2 copy has somehow gotten the most fun audio bug. Towards the later half of the game, the last sound effect just starts looping forever with a pause, like it's the very last bit of sound on a record or something. Made replaying the game (yes I am a madman) even less enjoyable than the first time. And yet, I've still played this thing... at least twice? It's been a long time.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
God's Speed to you for truly living up to this forums motto

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I didn't catch your SR2 lp until it was pretty much over, but I really enjoyed watching it. The Legacy of Kain series is a fantastic series of games, though obviously they aren't all classics. Good luck with this game, just keep remembering that you get to reward yourself with Defiance's crazy plot and actually pretty good game play when you're done.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

JamieTheD posted:

Gah, Crystal Dynamics are... Incredibly inconsistent, as a studio. At their high points, you have things like the Tomb Raider reboot. At their worst?

...Says it all, really.

Hey man, this was like the 2nd PS1 game I ever owned. It was pretty fun platformer when I was 8 years old.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Tomb Raider! That's why I know Crystal Dynamics! Man it's strange to see their progress.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I really always wanted to play this game ever since I saw a magazine article about it when I was a kid, It looked amazing. When they released it on Steam a while back I thought brilliant! I'll finally get a chance to play it. Finally get to experience the game that's been in my head for 10+ years.

As it turns out something in the games coding hates being played and it has a habit of locking up no matter what I do. Making the game completely unplayable for me. So bad as this game may be, I look forward to finding out exactly what my computer has been saving me from.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, this one. There's a lot to complain about but the one thing that really gets on my nerves is the godawful naming convention. You'll see.

edit: And Umah. Christ, it all comes flooding back in.
e2: The controls didn't just "not age too well"; they were utter poo poo even back when it was released.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I think the controls were a downgrade from soul reaver 2 alone and soul reaver 2s didnt have the hottest controls itself.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The controls are hot crap and do not work well at all

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
God, everything about her design is awful. It's bad enough they tried to sell the game with sex, but did they have to fail so badly as well? Was the concept art done by a 12-year-old boy?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing screams "covert resistance" like running around the city in your underwear and one lace glove.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The character designs are mostly hot garbage and do not work well at all.
I say "mostly" because two of Kain's outfits here are actually very cool.
Everything else is hot garbage and does not work well at all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The first thing I thought when watching the intro cinematic was how it'd look more fitting as a World of Warcraft expansion intro than a Legacy of Kain intro.

I only remember a few things about this game but looking at the first video so far, it's probably because everything else about it is mediocre at best and awful at worst.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
And here we are. The black sheep of the LoK family. Despite this games' numerous flaws (Umah, glitches everywhere, storyline fuckery, etc.) I can't bring myself to entirely hate it. There's some small bits of charm buried deep down that made the game...bearable to me when I played through it. I think it was mostly my love of the series overall that helped me bash through all the negatives and manage to have some amount of fun with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Veering off the justified complaints quickly: I haven't read the previous threads - did the LoK-themed power metal song ever come up? I remeber quite liking it years ago and can't find it anywhere. Song's name was Edge of the Coin, I don't remember the band, except they were from somewhere in the south of Europe.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Veering off the justified complaints quickly: I haven't read the previous threads - did the LoK-themed power metal song ever come up? I remeber quite liking it years ago and can't find it anywhere. Song's name was Edge of the Coin, I don't remember the band, except they were from somewhere in the south of Europe.

I never even heard of it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I found the album and lyrics (it's the last one) but it doesn't seem to be online anywhere anymore. Basically one of the band members was a huge LoK fan and explicitly wrote the song about Raziel and then linked it on a bunch of metal forums. I might have saved it in .mp3 on some old computer or other but that's probably :filez: even if the band doesn't play anymore. Shame, I remember liking quite a lot.

e: Some of the lyrics may constitute Defiance spoilers but I honestly doubt anyone who doesn't know would spot it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 7, 2016

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
The Legacy Of Kain: The search for the missing pauldron.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Glad I wasn't misremembering the floaty controls and the sheer visual ugliness of the game.
Though it's always nice to hear Simon Templeman, and the super cynical delivery of the lines; and Kain's barely repressed distaste for the events and people around him.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Glad I wasn't misremembering the floaty controls and the sheer visual ugliness of the game.
Though it's always nice to hear Simon Templeman, and the super cynical delivery of the lines; and Kain's barely repressed distaste for the events and people around him.

Simon Templeman is the one thing this game has going for it. Your hatred for the characters, setting, situations and events in-game will be dwarfed entirely by Kain's own.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Kain's bare, pale chest heaving while he lays writhing in bed. Umah in her armored undies watching over him from afar. This is the stuff of gothic romance.

Actually, I was really attracted to this game when I saw the promo artwork with the Sarafan in their glowing Tron armor. Returned it after a day because I wasn't feeling it. I only played a bit, and it didn't seem like a bad game, aside from trying way too hard with Umah, and a camera I just didn't feel comfortable with for some odd reason.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Jim Flatline posted:

The Legacy Of Kain: The search for the missing pauldron.

It's easily found, though. They glued it to the other one :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I had to google what a pauldron is :v:
But yes, they are dumb

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's crazy how much better the art direction is in the Raziel-centric games, old graphics aside this looks like garbage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm just confused as to why they built up the right arm with all the asymmetrical armor. You're supposed to put that stuff on the left arm since that's the one that guards when you're right-handed.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm just confused as to why they built up the right arm with all the asymmetrical armor. You're supposed to put that stuff on the left arm since that's the one that guards when you're right-handed.

To them it was a left arm, apparently.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It makes sense when you see the original design.

All Aboard the Kain Plane!
Vroom!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
To be totally honest I remember this game being pretty fun from a gameplay perspective, but the plot being much worse than all of the other LoK games. I had fun with it overall and look forawrd to re-examining the game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Status update, but not actual update: we're in pain

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I would listen to Simon Templeman read just about anything, even the lyrics to Hey There Delilah.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

George posted:

I would listen to Simon Templeman read just about anything, even the lyrics to Hey There Delilah.

Ah man, that would be divine; hearing kain's wretched discontent at having to recite such horrid lyrics.

This franchise seems like it would've been better served as an animated series. The story, voice acting, and [raziel wise] great design are so good, but it seems like it's all mired in lovely nigh-unplayable game dynamics

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 8, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find both Soul Reavers and Defiance genuinely fun to play even now. BO didn't age well and BO2 is the black sheep of the series but it's a bunch of mostly Good Games.
That's not saying I wouldn't be down for a LoK animated series, but you'd have to find a replacement for Tony Jay...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
1) You will later find that some bits are written so badly that even Simon Templeman cannot salvage them
2) I may have mentioned that elsewhere, but finding a replacement for Jay will be a pain no matter what, as even if the new actor completely kills it, it will feel wrong no matter what

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So there's a fun detail about this game which pops up at the very end. If you were playing on one of the first burned copies of the game, the final cinematics and their audio were desynced by something like 15 seconds, meaning you'd miss a chunk of explanation on what the gently caress was supposed to be happening.

Blood Omen 2 is a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

1) You will later find that some bits are written so badly that even Simon Templeman cannot salvage them
2) I may have mentioned that elsewhere, but finding a replacement for Jay will be a pain no matter what, as even if the new actor completely kills it, it will feel wrong no matter what

Tony Jay had a presence about his voice. It's very hard to replace that kind of gravitas and charisma. Peter Cullen has a similar gravitas, but his voice is so intrinsically linked with Optimus Prime at this point that he could never take up the role and have it work.

RickVoid posted:

Simon Templeman is the one thing this game has going for it. Your hatred for the characters, setting, situations and events in-game will be dwarfed entirely by Kain's own.

Oh yeah, that's one thing Templeman probably didn't need to act quite as much. I'm fairly certain he shared Kain's hatred of the game/situation.

• Locked thread