Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

12.48 - 13.45 kills me every time

The entire video is just loving amazing. I must have watched it 20-30 times, and I still enjoy it every time.

I stopped a gaming friend of mine from getting sucked in to the cult the other day. I told him that the game was poo poo, and his response was 'but goons', so I gave him the link of Chris playing his game, after 4-5 years of development and $100m.... 12 minutes later he messages me back with "poo poo, that was really bad". I then give him a few links to articles and filled in a few other gaps, and he's well inoculated from the scam. He's the sort of person who will go out and try to inoculate friends of his who might be tempted to part with their cash.

It really is the best advertisement for Star Citizen out there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sedisp posted:

Well to be fair most Citizens are in it for images.

:vince:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

tastychicken posted:

reporting in from commando duty in olisar it was great. :pwn:

amazing adventure with t-pose spaceman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpIShGZ_dFw

just don't.

It's the vitruvian PAAAARP :gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chin posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/v/41522304?t=45m32s

CIG showed the thread's second favorite anime enthusiast something so amazing he gets choked up just talking about it. It would totally change everyone's mind if they saw it but it's not ready yet.

CIG is not in the practice of releasing unpolished things, you see.

Five out of five beards. This is a legit SC video.

This is basically "my uncle works at Nintendo but I cannot tell you about the new Mario game"

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Miku is a loving tool. I don't think I hate anyone else more in the world than that sperg.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has anyone managed to find out more about that terrible song that was in the leaked PTU torrent? Like who performed in it, and more importantly, when it was produced?

e: This is what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

I'm really hoping that Chris is a guitarist, drummer or singer, and this is his personal work.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 7, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Literally Kermit posted:

I said I wanted to go in cold, Derek.

Does it work with a T-flight HOTAS X? Also can I jump out of my ship, blast another ship with a rocket launcher while falling back into my ship?

This is not a deal breaker but I would not be exactly sad if you said 'yes and more'

You can do all this, and more, in star citizen, in your imagination.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Has anyone managed to find out more about that terrible song that was in the leaked PTU torrent? Like who performed in it, and more importantly, when it was produced?

I'm really hoping that Chris is a guitarist, drummer or singer, and this is his personal work.

Shitizen: Your mom's a stretch goal.

*Lowers shades*

*Full burn begins to play*

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL at the 3rd stanza of Full Burn

quote:

Full Burn(background)
Winner takes all
Full Burn(background)
hear the call
Full Burn(background)
going into the black and there's no turning back

These are really bad lyrics. Chris must have at least written those imo.

e: Oh, and don't forget the official response from Disco that the song was from the personal collection of a dev and was accidentally included in that PU.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 7, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Goobs posted:

Miku is a loving tool. I don't think I hate anyone else more in the world than that sperg.

Chris could show him one of his turds and that guy would get excited. He spent 30k + bought a whole bunch of hardware for his SC spergpit

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think I've found a PC capable of playing SC. Someone should suggest to Chris that he needs to kit out the office with these.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Leviathan-2.html

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

fuctifino posted:

I think I've found a PC capable of playing SC. Someone should suggest to Chris that he needs to kit out the office with these.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Leviathan-2.html

What a waste, do you know how many pictures of spaceships I could buy with that?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Could someone put Derek's face in this?
https://gfycat.com/JubilantConventionalCarpenterant

Tia

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

No poo poo it's "in engine" lol, what an empty boast.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Set the cash furnaces to FULL BURN!!!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Maybe if the music was put in a video that CIG found particularly offensive, it might force the copyright owner to do a DMCA takedown request?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

I just noticed the scythe's blade has "funcional" flaps, because why wouldn't a spaceship have flaps?

Kramjacks posted:

Set the cash furnaces to FULL BURN!!!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

fuctifino posted:

e: Oh, and don't forget the official response from Disco that the song was from the personal collection of a dev and was accidentally included in that PU.

Which is a completely transparent lie unless you have the mental capacity of a 5 year old and believed that, which Shitizens of course did. Yes an unknown band an non existent song was totally from a dev's private collection that he randomly decided to include into the build. It was NOT something that Croberts wasted ~$300K on to record and is now a steaming pile of poo poo like the rest of the game will be.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

I just noticed the scythe's blade has "funcional" flaps, because why wouldn't a spaceship have flaps?

The Rule of Cool is the only rule that matters.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hello friends

I'm watching the Republican debate where Trump said he'd he'd bring back waterboarding and even worse than waterboarding and all I could think of was the Fourth Stimpire

So thank you

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

Hello friends

I'm watching the Republican debate where Trump said he'd he'd bring back waterboarding and even worse than waterboarding and all I could think of was the Fourth Stimpire

So thank you

Sandy was right, Star Citizen changes lives in ways no other game does.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

CR bought his own band!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rad Russian posted:

Which is a completely transparent lie unless you have the mental capacity of a 5 year old and believed that, which Shitizens of course did. Yes an unknown band an non existent song was totally from a dev's private collection that he randomly decided to include into the build. It was NOT something that Croberts wasted ~$300K on to record and is now a steaming pile of poo poo like the rest of the game will be.

That's just it. Plus there is this line that is repeated in the song:

"that the only truth in this 'verse is you and me"

Must have been a coincidence. I'd love for the full story about this track to come out eventually.... I've done plenty of soul-destroying session work back in the day, and would love to hear hired musician's recounts of their time being directed (and possibly performing with) Chris Roberts.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Obviously just a random Firefly fansong, idiots.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Someone was asking why CryEngine was bad?

You have to remember CryEngine started off as an Nvidia funded tech demo called Dino Island which was then further developed into Far Cry, capitalising on Halo's features like limited weapons and vehicles with bouncy suspensions and turrets.
Since then all further iterations of the engine, namely through the Crysis series, has simply been to add more gloss, change the scenery and to live up to it's name of "MAXIMUM GRAPHICS!" that you show off on your sweet new rig.

As a game engine, it's design means it can't do much more than provide pretty vistas for a player with a gun to run around in - and even then that wasn't so slick until UbiSoft refined that in the Dunia engine for the Far Cry sequels.

Asset creation is the engine's downside as much of it relies on keeping to rules which if broken means hours of work can get lost, especially with complexities like mo-cap. Even modders have given up and changed to Unreal as they quickly hit walls as they discover there's no way to really create anything outside the engine's box.
It's why every FarCry game is a new hat as the engine is one precious slowflake - everything in SC is going against the engine's grain and it's not happy.

When you're parrrping about in space, remember you are looking at a world where the land and water has been switched off (it's a toggle in the level setting) and the gravity set to 0 to try and simulate space within a 16km sized box - anything beyond that and the engine will bug out.

That vicious object pop-in you see from quickly moving your head across is likely from the developers being forced to switch off everything that's outside the player's view to keep rendering at some speed - which gives an idea how badly optimised this game engine is - even when it's running with top of the line rigs.

The ships flying apart and bouncing across the world are from each craft being a Chinese puzzle of bounding boxes crossing their streams as they try to accommodate sectional damage effects in a lagging engine. It's why you see destroyed ships drop straight down in space and loose inertia as the game swaps the player model with destroyed parts that don't inherit physics properties of the parent object and revert back to the engine's default physics rules - because that's what the engine tells it to do.

And it's taken them four years to even accept something isn't quite right as they try to solve this Byzantine riddle of physic sub-engines cancelling each other out because something like a gun turret would potentially be too heavy for the ship to lift off or knock off the balance of the ship.

By comparison Unreal and Unity are created as a platform to develop something from the base engine. Each iteration tries to provide more with less; taking into account how people have developed games to prevent less of the stuffups that CIG are having.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Kakarot posted:

CR bought his own band!

Someone should make a video featuring "The crowdfunded band"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mr. Smart, your thread seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Here is some worrying food for thought: CIG has shown that a video game company can get away with running a transparent scam while making millions. If the income levels are reasonably accurate, then CIG is making a massive amount of money relative to most game companies, with a minimal amount of work. Even so, even with the developer and the team contriving more and more blatant money-making schemes, there is still a large crowd of fanatical defenders and purchasers. I bet this upcoming Pirate interceptor, which I think was created to get another single-person ship for SQ42, will have decent sales.

We could also talk about how much money could have gone to other small game companies, instead of being pissed away by Chris Roberts desire for fidelity and a Hollywood career. But that just gets depressing.

The lesson of CIG is that a scam artist can make a ton of money off gamers. Or as Oldman would say: :yarg:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

WebDog posted:

Someone was asking why CryEngine was bad?

You have to remember CryEngine started off as an Nvidia funded tech demo called Dino Island which was then further developed into Far Cry, capitalising on Halo's features like limited weapons and vehicles with bouncy suspensions and turrets.
Since then all further iterations of the engine, namely through the Crysis series, has simply been to add more gloss, change the scenery and to live up to it's name of "MAXIMUM GRAPHICS!" that you show off on your sweet new rig.

As a game engine, it's design means it can't do much more than provide pretty vistas for a player with a gun to run around in - and even then that wasn't so slick until UbiSoft refined that in the Dunia engine for the Far Cry sequels.

Asset creation is the engine's downside as much of it relies on keeping to rules which if broken means hours of work can get lost, especially with complexities like mo-cap. Even modders have given up and changed to Unreal as they quickly hit walls as they discover there's no way to really create anything outside the engine's box.
It's why every FarCry game is a new hat as the engine is one precious slowflake - everything in SC is going against the engine's grain and it's not happy.

When you're parrrping about in space, remember you are looking at a world where the land and water has been switched off (it's a toggle in the level setting) and the gravity set to 0 to try and simulate space within a 16km sized box - anything beyond that and the engine will bug out.

That vicious object pop-in you see from quickly moving your head across is likely from the developers being forced to switch off everything that's outside the player's view to keep rendering at some speed - which gives an idea how badly optimised this game engine is - even when it's running with top of the line rigs.

The ships flying apart and bouncing across the world are from each craft being a Chinese puzzle of bounding boxes crossing their streams as they try to accommodate sectional damage effects in a lagging engine. It's why you see destroyed ships drop straight down in space and loose inertia as the game swaps the player model with destroyed parts that don't inherit physics properties of the parent object and revert back to the engine's default physics rules - because that's what the engine tells it to do.

And it's taken them four years to even accept something isn't quite right as they try to solve this Byzantine riddle of physic sub-engines cancelling each other out because something like a gun turret would potentially be too heavy for the ship to lift off or knock off the balance of the ship.

By comparison Unreal and Unity are created as a platform to develop something from the base engine. Each iteration tries to provide more with less; taking into account how people have developed games to prevent less of the stuffups that CIG are having.

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me years ago), but what are the obstacles keeping them from simply designing all the objects at 1/10th or 1/100th their 'actual' size for the purpose of making that 16km box feel like a 160km or 1600km box?

I also like that some of these issues capture the contradiction that sits at the core of Roberts' vision: he wants the game to both be a space dogfighting game, and also he wants realistic physics...in part because some loud group of backers thinks they want them? So you are leaving a bunch of game developers to try and reconcile how to make F-15s work in zero-Gs in a way that is both realistic (they wouldn't) and cinematic (poorly).

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me years ago), but what are the obstacles keeping them from simply designing all the objects at 1/10th or 1/100th their 'actual' size for the purpose of making that 16km box feel like a 160km or 1600km box?

Chris and Roberts

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Literally Kermit posted:

Hi, ho! Kermit "Big Frog" Laphroaig here, and I am the leader and chief cook & bottle-washer of the Diamond Frogs, Elite: Dangerous' answer to Goonfleet, or whatever.

Recently came to my attention 20-loving-thousand posts back that Lowtax is giving out free accounts to CIG Forum refugees, so's they can talk about Star Citizen in a non-toxic environment/general deprogrammification. And it was an actual account, not a jpeg of an account.

For those new goons, here's the skinny: a lot of goons were Star Citizen backers, and most of them bailed months ago. A great deal bought into Elite: Dangerous and, despite Frontier Developments best efforts, most are still playing. Since Star Citizen has been the greatest Elite: Dangerous recruiting tool I have ever seen, I wanted to do something for you poor unfortunate souls now forced to turn to the comedy forums of Something Awful.

So, if you wanna try out the base game which is like 15 bucks on steam, but don't want to spend several hours getting into a cooler ship, I am offering help to any former Star Citizen backer, past present and future, to help them get going towards the ship of their dreams.

Now I am not going to help you grind out a 150 million credit Anaconda overnight - but I can help you get into something like, say, an Asp to jump-start your Commandering Career like a goddamn pro, and give you tips and things. A couple million credits and a pat on the rear end later and you'll be dancing, friend. All for zero actual real life dollars. Holy poo poo! No catch. Holier poo poo!!

You'll also be honorary members of the Diamond Frogs (ok one catch) because as many complaints as Elite gets, it's a game that really needs a thriving community to shine. People need something to do, and we will give it to them, by Jesus. Sure, we might slap you into an Eagle with no shields and just railguns for an "adventure" but at the moment you have no idea what that means, nor the general significance of the :getin: emote, so we'll kill two birds with one stone.

Ready? :getin:

To apply, just go to this thread and follow the instructions in the first post. In your application. Throw in a "PAAAAARP" in the form or application, so we know you're down with the sickness. That way we know what money making schemeswe want to test out on you proven stable income methods to assign you.

You'll be out of your starter sidewinder and into a cozy Viper Mk IV in no time at all, Commando! Except in this game you actually ARE playing as a Commander, not an alpha as one. Wear it with pride.

I am sure this post will get buried soon so pass this poo poo the gently caress on. Tell it to your friends. Like flames passed on from torch to torch let the legend of the Diamond Frogs grow.

See you at Mother Goat, Commanders. o7

Before joining the Diamond Frogs I was a spacepoor with only a Cobra to my name. Thanks to the Frogs I am now space middle class with a fleet of 5 ships, including a 90 million credit Federal Assault Ship.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sperglord posted:

Here is some worrying food for thought: CIG has shown that a video game company can get away with running a transparent scam while making millions. If the income levels are reasonably accurate, then CIG is making a massive amount of money relative to most game companies, with a minimal amount of work. Even so, even with the developer and the team contriving more and more blatant money-making schemes, there is still a large crowd of fanatical defenders and purchasers. I bet this upcoming Pirate interceptor, which I think was created to get another single-person ship for SQ42, will have decent sales.

We could also talk about how much money could have gone to other small game companies, instead of being pissed away by Chris Roberts desire for fidelity and a Hollywood career. But that just gets depressing.

The lesson of CIG is that a scam artist can make a ton of money off gamers. Or as Oldman would say: :yarg:

If there is a bright side to all of this, it's that the game developer community at large is no longer watching this event with polite interest, but rather, are keeping a cautious distance and politely avoiding related discussion. At least in official channels - there are still some nice leaks and bar talk - with morale as low as it is, there will be plenty of that in the coming months. If I had to sum up the general feeling among developers, it would be: "It's a shame what Chris is doing. It didn't have to be this way, but what can you do?"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kazy posted:

Before joining the Diamond Frogs I was a spacepoor with only a Cobra to my name. Thanks to the Frogs I am now space middle class with a fleet of 5 ships, including a 90 million credit Federal Assault Ship.

What is the Diamond Frogs stance on the Fourth Stimpire?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

kikkelivelho posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

It's not exactly what I remembered, but as far as I can tell none of the deliverables described in this thing have materialized. CIG hasn't even mentioned them, so this is probably another plan that croberts or one of his cronies crushed.

On the next live show people should ask 'how is subsumption is coming along' to see if they even know the names of 'upcoming' content.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

If there is a bright side to all of this, it's that the game developer community at large is no longer watching this event with polite interest, but rather, are keeping a cautious distance and politely avoiding related discussion. At least in official channels - there are still some nice leaks and bar talk - with morale as low as it is, there will be plenty of that in the coming months. If I had to sum up the general feeling among developers, it would be: "It's a shame what Chris is doing. It didn't have to be this way, but what can you do?"

The problem with that attitude is that the failure of Star Citizen will reflect badly on all game developers. As CIG drifts into more and more scamming territory, the game developer / media outlets which don't report that it is FUBAR are, in some way, contributing to people losing their money. Even now, one can see the "I just found my religion Star Citizen" come to Christ Roberts threads on reddit / official forums. When the game dies and the malfeasance is revealed, where does this leave the industry?

CIG could make another 10-20 million this year, 10-20 million to boost Sandi's promising Hollywood career. It would be nice if a group of trusted figures tried to save people that money.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

I also like that some of these issues capture the contradiction that sits at the core of Roberts' vision: he wants the game to both be a space dogfighting game, and also he wants realistic physics...in part because some loud group of backers thinks they want them? So you are leaving a bunch of game developers to try and reconcile how to make F-15s work in zero-Gs in a way that is both realistic (they wouldn't) and cinematic (poorly).

I'm gonna take a stab at this and guess that at least one of the problems is precision. Looks like coordinates in CryEngine are uint32, which means that there are 2 billion possible values each coordinate can take. In a 20km box, that's .01 mm. A precision of .1 mm with a 200km box might be OK too, but 1mm for a 2000km box is probably already too coarse.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

My understanding is if you do that, the physics get weird. If there is millimeter precision at 1:1 scale, there is only centimeter precision at 1:10 scale, meter precision at 1:100 scale, etc.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

are the cryengine people happy to have their name slathered all over this ugly, janky mess or do they not care as long as croberts has paid for the license?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think you run into the same precision error regardless of scale. So if you make everything tiny, error in you position is more pronounced. I'm not a developer, but I would guess the really important thing is the ratio between the distance that jittering is visible and the overall size of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, while napping before my hockey game tonight, I had a Star Citizen dream where Erin Roberts accidentally BCC'ed me in an email to Goons vehemently defending Sandi's abilities and role in SC and SQ42 development, as well as claiming her past transgressions as patently false, and finally saying that Goons like us are the kind of trash that kill video games.

To my credit, I responded back to him about the allegations.

And I signed the email with PAAAAAAAARP.

loving video games man.

• Locked thread