Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

AugmentedVision posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at this and guess that at least one of the problems is precision. Looks like coordinates in CryEngine are uint32, which means that there are 2 billion possible values each coordinate can take. In a 20km box, that's .01 mm. A precision of .1 mm with a 200km box might be OK too, but 1mm for a 2000km box is probably already too coarse.

Chris reads this and says, nvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I realized what's keeping me from selling the rest of my ships. I don't want to be like CIG and make a mint off gullible idiots.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I realized what's keeping me from selling the rest of my ships. I don't want to be like CIG and make a mint off gullible idiots.

Sell them at cost, then at least you're keeping them from giving CIG any more money.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

No Mods No Masters posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

Are those loving placeholder textures in the eyes? It's a god drat black and grey grid placeholder texture.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Player Influence

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6322996/#Comment_6322996

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6323857/#Comment_6323857

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6324013/#Comment_6324013

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

sell em, retain cost price, anything extra give to a charity of your choosing

either that or sell them at bargain basement prices

edit: ^^^^^^ boy shouldnt want the sc community to become paranoid and toxic

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If for any reason you do sell them, be sure to use a middleman you trust, because god only knows what the backers that hate you would do to gently caress you over in the deal.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

think about it this way

they were going to buy the ships, and by you selling them, CIG isn't making any more money

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sankis posted:

Are those loving placeholder textures in the eyes? It's a god drat black and grey grid placeholder texture.

I assumed it was reflections of lights on its glossy black eyes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6327566/#Comment_6327566

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Captain B'tak would be far better off playing alone with lego ships. Hopefully in a padded room.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Yeah I don't know what to make of that B'tak guy. He'd be some fun IRL I reckon - just confront him over something and watch him collapse into a heap.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sankis posted:

They are chequerboard compound eyes which are unique to Xi'An biology, commando.
they look like reflections

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I don't know what to make of that B'tak guy. He'd be some fun IRL I reckon - just confront him over something and watch him collapse into a heap.

I almost feel bad for him. He doesn't want SQ42 mega-movies, he doesn't even want intensive dogfights or huge space navy battles. He just wants to fly his ships around an empty box with an occasional NPC bogey to vaporize while he space farms or whatever.

But he probably won't even get that because I bet over half the ships he's bought will never go live in the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Holy lol, this reminds me of how my little sisters played Kirby Air Ride back in the day. They would go into that mode with the big city and where you just run around collecting crap I guess? I never understood that game too well outside of watching them use the game to play their own game within it. They basically played it like they would toys or whatever, playing pretend or house and roleplaying their kirbys as doing different nonsense. It was pretty adorable and as far as I could tell, more interesting than whatever the real objective of that mode was. It was adorable because they were little kids exercising their imaginations using the toys they had, it was creative, even!

Somehow I find this dude having to play psuedo-DM just to have something to do in this non-game less charming. Maybe it's because they start off by making GBS threads on the current games market, which offers full and varied experiences for basically any gaming desire you have. I mean, poo poo, Elite:Dangerous is Star Citizen if Star Citizen were a realistic project. The fact that someone can act like gaming now doesn't offer you the most possible options of all time is astounding.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Someone on the rsi forum post you want gun lockers to get quick access to high powered guns if you get boarded. They must have eye scanning and so croberts will need to implement millions of unique eye assets for each player.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

you can still ask for a refund but then again they will think they have won...but win what? lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sell under cost on the grey market to further collapse that stupid aspect of this game.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Isn't this precisely why the whales are hanging on so hard, so they can have a not-EVE where they will WIN FOREVAR and Goons can never destroy it? Forgetting of course, that EVE has a functioning economy let alone a workable space model which SC will never achieve.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Elite: Dangerous fun? All this space talk makes me wanna be in a space game even though I don't know if I like that sort of thing. It's only 15 bucks and the expensive other poo poo will go on sale before I need it, presumably? Seems like most of the negative reviews are from weirdos who want to spend 10 hours a day in the game for the rest of their lives but can't because obviously one game developer cant make that much content for psychos?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
An Elite Dangerous review has a snarky conclusion...

quote:

"Why do I mention this? Well, let’s wrap back around to video game crowdfunding. Elite: Dangerous’ only real competition at the moment is Cloud Imperium Games’ Star Citizen, a $100 million project that hasn’t gone much of anywhere in the time it’s taken Elite: Dangerous to launch and see an expansion on top of significant updates. Where Elite: Dangerous has a fully realized and expanded game launched and available for purchase (with a console release besides), Star Citizen has produced a barely-playable alpha while it continues to inhale backers’ money.

One of these projects represents everything that can go wrong with video game crowdfunding: massive scope creep, management faux pas, and arrogant leadership, to mention just a few issues. CIG lead Chris Roberts’ recent statement that he was “annoyed” when backers continued to ask him about promised features really says all that needs to be said about Star Citizen.

The other project represents what happens when a team that respects its own limitations gets the chance to do something big. More importantly, it represents what happens when that team respects the time and money of the backers who placed their faith in them. For that reason alone, Elite: Dangerous is an important game, and Horizons makes it even better. If you’re a fan of this sort of space sim, you owe it to yourself to check this out."

Yes but Elite doesn't have a feeling of community, does it? You know, I was talking to Chris about this just the other day...

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Where did Chris make that 'annoyed' statement?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kakarot posted:

Where did Chris make that 'annoyed' statement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Mkcq160cE

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do you think Ben smells like crisco in person?

Follow-up question: Do you think Chris smells like desperation?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Statement #1 and hes already rambling, how the gently caress did anyone ever think this guy was good at talking about anything?

Oh right, its pre-recorded. Who cares about reshoots unless its mocap? And if Ben wasn't such a lazy slug he'd be waving his arms like his father figure next to him.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

when?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Is Elite: Dangerous fun? All this space talk makes me wanna be in a space game even though I don't know if I like that sort of thing. It's only 15 bucks and the expensive other poo poo will go on sale before I need it, presumably? Seems like most of the negative reviews are from weirdos who want to spend 10 hours a day in the game for the rest of their lives but can't because obviously one game developer cant make that much content for psychos?

Yes it is. I did the plunge yesterday and so far i have a lot of fun learning to control the starter ship. Its a real-ish sim, so don't try to land without your landing gear deployed (my bad, good thing it was a simulation) or dock without clearance (my bad again, sorry station "Training") or get too close to a star (Oups, do i smell burning bacon ?).

You have to allow a little time to learn the commands and flight model of your craft or you will end up splatered on the station hull. Its not "hard" but your not spoonfed the basic tutorials like many recent games. Reading the flight manual .pdf actually help.

The way i see it, at 19$ (CDN) its about the same as a movie+popcorn (17$) so even if i only fiddle with it for ten hours over a week before returning to Darkest Dungeons i got more than my money worth.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

At the 2 week mark.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Serious question about the Stimpire: when people order the civil meat at restaurants, do they end up eating themselves? Or are they fed to other people? It's not exactly clear from the literature. I'm planning a vacation there and I need to know what to avoid.

ThoughtBomb
Nov 9, 2015

Forgive Me...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

i thought i posted the link with the timemark, my bad. if you click the youtube link its like the first or second question and they have timestamps. its the one about star marine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Yes it is. I did the plunge yesterday and so far i have a lot of fun learning to control the starter ship. Its a real-ish sim, so don't try to land without your landing gear deployed (my bad, good thing it was a simulation) or dock without clearance (my bad again, sorry station "Training") or get too close to a star (Oups, do i smell burning bacon ?).

You have to allow a little time to learn the commands and flight model of your craft or you will end up splatered on the station hull. Its not "hard" but your not spoonfed the basic tutorials like many recent games. Reading the flight manual .pdf actually help.

The way i see it, at 19$ (CDN) its about the same as a movie+popcorn (17$) so even if i only fiddle with it for ten hours over a week before returning to Darkest Dungeons i got more than my money worth.

err... can I control everything with an xbox 360 controller lol

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Khanstant posted:

err... can I control everything with an xbox 360 controller lol

Yes

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh right, its pre-recorded. Who cares about reshoots unless its mocap?

Croberts is a busy man and needs to attend daily approval meetings with his artists, commando.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…in fact, I'd say it's probably one of the better ways of controlling things unless you cough up 10× the money for the full HOTAS + headtracking setup.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good. Old flying games used to be such a pain in the rear end to control, even with a joystick.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Sperglord posted:

upcoming Pirate interceptor,

So wait. Not only did they completely write off the Cutlass because :lesnick: is a lying sack of poo poo that hates all things pvp an goons, but they're essentially remaking that ships role in a new skin to sell it again?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
captain b'tak is so retarded in every single way that makes him entirely unsympathetic.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

ThoughtBomb posted:

Forgive Me...

:five: the thread that keeps on delivering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Marching Powder posted:

captain b'tak is so retarded in every single way that makes him entirely unsympathetic.

He's the guy you wanna grief just because he's so damned opposed to it. Wouldn't give it a second thought otherwise, but it's such a juicy target now - the guy is totally one-note.

• Locked thread