Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

K2 is on the Pakistan/China border. It's not part of the Himalayas at all.

Yeah there's still Sherpas that climb K2 though.

From Wikipedia, "On July 26, 2014, Pasang Lhamu Sherpa, Dawa Yangzum Sherpa, and Maya Sherpa crested the 28,251-foot (8,611-meter) summit of K2, the second highest mountain in the world. In doing so, the three Nepali women have become the first all-female team to climb what many mountaineers consider a much tougher challenge than Everest. The feat was announced in climbing circles as a breakthrough achievement for women in high-altitude mountaineering. Only 18 of the 376 people who have summited K2 have been women."

You're right that officially, geographers and the locals refer to the Karakorum mountains (and the Hindu Kush) as being separate from the Himalaya, but they're part of the same uplifted massif formed from the Indian subcontinent crashing into Asia. I tend to just consider the entire sweep as "the Himalaya" and apparently there's a term for it: the "Hindu Kush Himalayan Region" or HKH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Why we laugh at Everest death: it's the closest thing we have to real life Mortal Kombat

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Alan Smithee posted:

Why we laugh at Everest death: it's the closest thing we have to real life Mortal Kombat

And it's so much better than it's idiot brother: MK2.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
pemba gyalje sherpa deserves every mountaineering medal for what he managed on k2

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Rondette, here is the updated DEATH POOL count list for the OP.

I've having trouble finding dates for when the 2016 Everest climbing season officially starts. Most attempts are in April-May, so perhaps we should close entries maybe end of February or sometime in March. Also I'm not sure what to do about guessed numbers with more than three goons. :iiam:

:skeltal: UPDATED DEATH POOL ENTRY COUNT:skeltal:
As of February 6, 2016

-1 stab, elwood
0 Literally Kermit, Pvt Dancer, PostNouveau, Minrad, Mnoba
-1+1 Robo Reagan (Mom dies but baby lives)
1 CaptainOblivious, Fumble
2 empty baggie, Cojawfee
3 Troublemaker, Shinjobi, Alan Smithee
4 The Light Eternal, StoneOfShame, gannyGrabber, Vape Bag
4.5 Popeahuntis
5 Microwaves Mom, Cliff Racer
6 Rondette, bradzilla, koreban
7 Anya, Vintimus Prime, The French Army!,
8 Electrical Fire, Nuggan, ranbo das, sesame_samuel_
9 SaNChEzZ, SteveVizsla, ALL-PRO SEXMAN (“between 8 and 13”), Rolo
10 Quinctia, Shwqa, Hogge Wild, Jonesy (7 westerners and 3 sherpas)
11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker
12 slinky triscuits, Dr.Smasher
13 Crusty Nutsack, Leperflesh
14 Tambaloneus, Dead Precedents, Cuckoo
15 Xibanya, Lasca
16 Comrade Koba, LongDarkNight
17 Day Man, BlueBlazer, Quantum Finger, twit666
18 BisonDollah, Picnic Princess
19 Nostalgia4Butts, Carl Seitan
20 Teddybear (“smallest available positive integer”)
21 Cymoril
22 Stars War
23 Nether Postlude
24 Cthulu Carl, pr0k
25 Arcsquad12
26 meiram
27 MorgaineDax
28 ChrisHansen, Mihai Zetta, c0ldfuse
30 Cowman, h3r0n (bonus option: LL Bean)
31 IKillForPie
33 RCarr
34 a messed up horse
35 mike12345
37 Anoia
39 DerekSmartymans
42 blowfish (bonus option: execution), Random Hajile (bonus option: explosion)
69 Nooner
88 tentative8e8op
162 Happy Hedonist
666 soy
42069666 ghostter
Mtn The Goatfather
All Chinatown, Mega64

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Last time, those who guessed a number already full had to take another guess.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
OP: I'll take the 29 dead slot

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Saving from the last thread

I'll go for 38 for the deathpool for 2016.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm always a big fan of Touching the Void. It's not Everest, it's not about famous people, but it's goddamn amazing. Should be on Netflix I hope.

Put me down for 32 souls.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Still annoyed that I bet 18 last year but never got put in the official list, and then found out I kinda won til the other few people showed up dead. :mad:

Putting in 23 for this year. Between the mountain's growing instability due to global warming, the potential glut of thwarted people from the past two years, and the growing appeal that the various books/shows/films have generated, it seems we might be poised to see a new record in terms of climber numbers and disaster.

Note: I actually hope no one dies, especially the sherpas :ohdear:

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A6BYKQHAQo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ars Arcanum posted:

Note: I actually hope no one dies, especially the sherpas :ohdear:

I only want rich white people to die on the mountain.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I imagine he was hearing that playing unendingly

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Please put me down for 21 - the mountain is old enough to drink (the blood of the rich and foolish)

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

tentative8e8op posted:

I love this thread.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

tentative8e8op posted:

Perfect. Thankyou.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Everest :woop:

I'm betting deaths this year of a mere 4.

One year to lull everyone back in, then next year the mountain god gets truly angry. Like 3 figure angry.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
To the pressure suit: there's no way you'd avoid tearing a hole in it. Then you'd die really fast I think.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Cojawfee posted:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Cojawfee posted:

I admit I hate dead people a lot, but if someone has to be a dead person, I'm the most Ok with it being a rich white stupid one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just watched the Summit and it was v sad and I hope no one dies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fuctifino posted:

Now get the same image with the earthquake shake on it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'll take the smallest positive integer that's left.

Edit: 29! Ahh Ahh Ahh :drac:

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome
I'll take straight 50 on the death count.

Do deaths at Base Camp count?

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now get the same image with the earthquake shake on it.

It was followed shortly afterwards by this:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Deadly Mongoose posted:

I'll take straight 50 on the death count.

Do deaths at Base Camp count?

oh god, are we gonna have to start doing boundary maps?! Base Camp counts as far as I am concerned.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

as far as I am concerned anyone who has paid up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nockturne posted:

It was followed shortly afterwards by this:

I hope none of the sherpas inside the restaurant got hurt :ohdear:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

fuctifino posted:

:drat:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
We're all going to hell but it's not like that's news.

I just wonder if this year is the "no I've been kept away enough you can't stop me" rush or if that'll be next year.

Imagine rich jerks shoving their way to be the next to die.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Somehow this thread always leads to the best diversions. It's slow at the beginning and picks up speed during climbing season.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
Icarus flew to the sun. had his wings melt and fell onto Everest, had his wings freeze again.

put me down for 13 dead.

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome

Rondette posted:

oh god, are we gonna have to start doing boundary maps?! Base Camp counts as far as I am concerned.

Excellent. I don't want any more Sherpa death so I am hoping for no avalanches but instead a drunken brawl at base camp between two foreign climbing parties. And then they all fall into a crevasse or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sherpas are the real heroes of this mountain climbing stuff. None of these mountain climbers would have even had a chance if they didn't have all these people helping them. Like not even the dumb rich people, everyone who goes there has to rely on the Sherpas. If Everest had a government I would vote for the Sherpa party.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sherpas are the real heroes of this mountain climbing stuff. None of these mountain climbers would have even had a chance if they didn't have all these people helping them. Like not even the dumb rich people, everyone who goes there has to rely on the Sherpas. If Everest had a government I would vote for the Sherpa party.

Up to base camp this is true, but there are some professional climbers who go the rest of the way without sherpas. Even the base camp supply can be done with helicopters with a big enough budget. But that's still 1% of less of climbers.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

I watched the Everest film recently (and actually FELL ASLEEP during the storm part) and I thought the real 'heroes' were the pilots who managed to fly a helicopter to an as unyet attempted height, at great risk to their own safety, to rescue an American guy who wanted something to tick off his bucket list.

IDK why mountaineering films rarely work- I suppose the main problem is that none of the people doing it (In the Everest film anyway) are doing it for any cause other than Ego. It's kinda hard to empathise and root for people in that situation. It's a shame it was such a disappointing film, I was really looking forward to it.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 7, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Rondette posted:

I watched the Everest film recently (and actually FELL ASLEEP during the storm part) and I thought the real 'heroes' were the pilots who managed to fly a helicopter to an as unyet attempted height, at great risk to their own safety, to rescue an American guy who wanted something to tick off his bucket list.

IDK why mountaineering films rarely work- I suppose the main problem is that none of the people doing it (In the Everest film anyway) are doing it for any cause other than Ego. It's kinda hard to empathise and root for people in that situation. It's a shame it was such a disappointing film, I was really looking forward to it.

IRL the helicopter pilot made two flights up to Camp 2 - they flew out Makalu Gau in the first flight, a crippled Taiwanese climber who was left out of the movie, and Weather was on the second flight.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Reinhold Messner is the real hero, he doesn't need any sherpas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are there any good behind the scenes stuff of how things like ueli steck records get filmed?

since it probably fits with the thread alex honnold does some ridiculous stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2tHcZEnF0

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jose posted:

Are there any good behind the scenes stuff of how things like ueli steck records get filmed?

Since he's going for records, I would assume he's climbed these places several times and he knows the route he is going to take. It's a simple matter of placing cameras and people along his route.