Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Star Citizen really is a saga for the ages. My partner noticed how often I was lurking here and now occasionally asks me about updates from "the space idiots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

:stare: did they SERIOUSLY put that janky poo poo on around the verse?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah, it's from a 6 month+ old episode

They're even using the clips to make a new series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UT3e96qQik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTCwsfI_7c

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They're trying to go the Bethesda route where their glitches are seem as quirky, funny, and charming. They forget that Bethesda's glitches are part of completed products.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey now. That's a perfectly adequate and even admirable first attempt at making a KSP space plane. I mean, it didn't even explode on loading as is the true :jeb: tradition.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Daztek posted:

Yeah, it's from a 6 month+ old episode

They're even using the clips to make a new series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UT3e96qQik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTCwsfI_7c
17 seconds in and nah i'm not listening to these fuckos.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

This guy just gives me a shiver down my spine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

My favorite part about this is that in the same comment, the guy says that
1) other ships will see crewmen through the windows
2) the main instance will not know where the engineer is standing in the ship instance

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cute. They still think that thruster movement is in any way relevant other than visual candy. It's not as if both it and turret positions can be handled entirely client-side based on how the ship moves and what it's shooting at, rather than the other way around. :D

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

It's just constant one-upmanship with these true believers.

"I believe XYZ will be in the game because blah blah :smuggo:"

"Yes well I BELIEVE A B C will be in the game because :smuggo: "

"No no you peasant mongrels it's clear that only Z X Y blah blah :smuggo:"

And none of them know what the hell they're on about cause none of it's going to happen, they're just fellating themselves on who can implement the best fictional space ideas.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tippis posted:

Cute. They still think that thruster movement is in any way relevant other than visual candy. It's not as if both it and turret positions can be handled entirely client-side based on how the ship moves and what it's shooting at, rather than the other way around. :D

Um excuse me, but perhaps you need to learn something about fidelity?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's just constant one-upmanship with these true believers.

"I believe XYZ will be in the game because blah blah :smuggo:"

"Yes well I BELIEVE A B C will be in the game because :smuggo: "

"No no you peasant mongrels it's clear that only Z X Y blah blah :smuggo:"

And none of them know what the hell they're on about cause none of it's going to happen, they're just fellating themselves on who can implement the best fictional space ideas.

…and Chris has them all outmatched, so why do they even bother? :v:

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Um excuse me, but perhaps you need to learn something about fidelity?

Hmpf. The fidelity in simulating a box in space is unparalleled with this scheme. :colbert:

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So apparently there was a monthly report posted.

Some interesting tidbits:

CIG Santa Monica

I guess they got rid of the physically based damage stuff then?

Well hell then maybe they should update the ship stats page and let people know what they spent hundreds of dollars on!

This ship has been in development hell for years now.

Translation: We have no loving clue what we're doing and will continue to pretend that our ships are engineering models and not the creation of artists. How do you "properly calculate the mass of a ship" when the materials are bullshit?

Why does this ship get the royal treatment when there are countless examples of older ships being outright ignored or left to rot? Who the gently caress decides the priority on this bullshit?

So in other words Calix is trying to balance things against systems that aren't even implemented yet. Good job CIG, I'm sure this will be time well spent.

Funny, I would think delivering a loving product would produce a decent amount of morale. I'm sure programmers and technical designers really give a poo poo about what the walls look like.

The Senior Producer for a project that is over a year past schedule is also apparently responsible for making the office pretty. Anyone who wonders why CIG is hosed? That's why. Because the SENIOR PRODUCER is responsible for MAKING THE OFFICE PRETTY.

Did Darian get demoted or something?

Remember that massive loving script Chris was so proud of? Apparently nobody loving read it.

CIG Austin

Nice to know that after four years of development they can really get into roadmapping and planning.

gently caress the Cutlass.

CIG Manchester

You'd like to know, but in reality Chris will unapprove poo poo starting in about two weeks.

Forest is the guy that David Jennison stated was one of his primary reasons for leaving.

The Sabre was a concept back in November. Now it's almost flight ready.

Every time CIG talks about "refactoring" a system, take a shot.

I wonder if he and Calix get into fights since they apparently have the same job.

Because gently caress Illfonic.

CIG Frankfurt

Innovation!

Guys we're TOTALLY sure about how big poo poo should be this time.

Well I guess that's better than beautifying an office. It should be noted that the Javelin has not even left whitebox. Why the gently caress are they prioritizing poo poo this way?

Behavior Interactive

Basically it's all marketing bullshit.

Community

And also because we don't actually do anything.
Underrated post from 1776

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Kazy posted:

Before joining the Diamond Frogs I was a spacepoor with only a Cobra to my name. Thanks to the Frogs I am now space middle class with a fleet of 5 ships, including a 90 million credit Federal Assault Ship.

Half the fun is working up yourself.

Once you get enough for any ship the single player content kinda peters out and you are forced to associate with people to get more enjoyment.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i think it's funny when a BBB case complaint description sums up everything nicely in short order:

quote:

Refund denied for product not delivered.
"Cloud Imperium Games has collected in excess of $100 million in crowd-funding money by selling game related items of varying value from $10 all the way up to to $15,000.

The game was promised to be delivered in Nov of 2014. However, thus far, only about 10% of the content they promised and received money for, have been delivered. Also, they have since vastly increased the scope of the project from what was previously promised; and they have gone on the record admitting to this.

They also changed the original Terms Of Service which would have required them to provide full refunds and financial accounting for the project if they failed to deliver by the promised Nov 2014 date. This change extended the term from Dec 2015 to May 2016.

They continue to raise money for the project despite never having met a single promised milestone.

Like a lot of other gamers, when I requested a refund, they denied it. They claim that a recent 2.0 tech demo which they released in a buggy and incomplete fashion in Dec 2015 (exactly when the original accountability term in the ToS was to be in effect), constitutes a substantial release of the promised game. Given how much is missing from it, that claim is patently false and they are using it as an excuse to actively deny refunds. This despite the fact that they promised two games; Star Citizen and Squadron 42. And as of now, I haven't received any part of the second game."

only thing it's missing is "and Derek Smart happened."

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

fuctifino posted:

LOL at the 3rd stanza of Full Burn

These are really bad lyrics. Chris must have at least written those imo.

e: Oh, and don't forget the official response from Disco that the song was from the personal collection of a dev and was accidentally included in that PU.

Pretty sure Sandi or Chris wrote the lyrics as an ode to each other (and their money).

"soon I'll be by your side and you'll see that the only truth in this 'verse is you and me"

"we are two minds with just one heart"

"living close on the edge, we tumble from the ledge but we can fly..."

EightAce what is the inside scoop on this terrible, terrible song.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wait, weren't we supposed to be able to embed webms?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Wait, they redesigned the helmets AGAIN? Didn't they have a big design post about the final marine / outlaw outfits a while ago. It never ends, does it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…also, what's the point of the fold-down part if everything is projected on the visor anyway?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wait, weren't we supposed to be able to embed webms?

If you post a direct link to the webm, it will auto embed. The previous link was just for the gfycat page for the image

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

If you post a direct link to the webm, it will auto embed. The previous link was just for the gfycat page for the image

https://fat.gfycat.com/JubilantConventionalCarpenterant.webm

e: now I see why they're linked

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This but with added :qq:

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Heh, it doesn't even fit all the way, c'mon modelers!

So, emphasis is apparently on flashy stuff to look at, not so much actual game mechanics. Sounds good to me!

edit: Am I thinking of style over substance? I think I am!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The glass part of the visor slices the top of this guy's scalp off. I guess this is why he's looking so pale.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Because it's fuckin cool? I mean SC ia a joke but that's a drat sexy helmet.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This helmet-gif is a photoshop friday waiting to happen

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gonkish posted:

At this point I feel like the Zybourne Clock has a better chance of being released than this.

Johnny five aces was is Fallout New Vegas. I'm confident that nothing from Fart Shitizen will appear in a game that good

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Strategic Tea posted:

Because it's fuckin cool? I mean SC ia a joke but that's a drat sexy helmet.

nah

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
it was real funny when they began shouting "helmet! helmet!" after seeing an animation, a couple citcons ago

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

it was real funny when they began shouting "helmet! helmet!" after seeing an animation, a couple citcons ago

I was there. It was a simpler time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
An ANONYMOUS GAMES DEVELOPER requested I post this here so his boss wouldn't fire him. Or something. Either way it's a good read and makes fun of Star Citizen so I support it.

quote:

I wonder how many people understand the absolute insane cluster-gently caress this would be to try and implement. Star Citizen seems to have enough trouble getting a normal client-server mechanism going, and this implies that each client is attached to multiple servers/instances. So the main server will be telling your client about the ship you're in, while another server will be giving information about what's going on outside your ship, and yet more servers could be giving information about what's going on inside other ships which are nearby.

Imagine this:

The fully crewed mining freighter, Whale 1, is going through space, and the pirate constellation USS Goon, also fully crewed, decides they want to board it and raid it. The USS Goon shoots out the Whale 1's engines, then uses its main weapons to blow a hole through the side of the ship. It then comes to a stop next to the crippled ship, with it's main door roughly aligned with the hole it just made.

So, we have 3 instances, one for space and one for the interior of each ship:

Blue is the instance for the pirates, pink is the instance for the miners and white is the instance for space. According to the design, a pirate can look through the door, through space and through the hole into the other ship, where the miners are stood waiting, but cannot shoot at them or interact with them. Now, say the pirates decide to jump out of their ship, and EVA over into the other ship, we now have 3 problems:

1) The system needs to seamlessly transition the pirates from the blue instance into the white instance, and then into the pink instance. This is not a simple thing; a lot of the glitches we see in the PU are caused by the system loving up moving a player from one physics grid to another, this problem is like that, only much worse. This can be done though, it's just hard.

2) These instances are all supposed to have a limited number of players, so what if the number of players in the mining ship is already enough to reach the max player limit for the ship's instance? What does the system do as the pirates try and enter the blue instance? It can't just spin up another instance, because then you'd have half the players in one copy of the mining ship and the other half in the other copy of the mining ship. I honestly can't see a way of fixing this issue, instance based systems only work when a controlling system can safely allocate players to instances to balance them. If players can freely move from instance to instance at will, the system is hosed, end of story.

3) A pirate could float literally just outside the hole to the whale ship, and still be invulnerable to all attacks from inside the miner since they're still in the white instance, not the pink one, and players can't interact between instances. In theory, you could code the instances to talk to each other so that a bullet fired from one instance is capable of damaging a player in another instance, once again this is NOT easy to do by any means. If nothing else, it undermines the whole reason for having separate instances in the first place, since each instance would not only need to track the players within it, but also the players in nearby instances who might be shot at from inside the instance, so you might as well just shove everyone in one huge instance and have done with it.

Now, I haven't done network coding personally for a few years, so maybe someone will come in and tell me how completely wrong I am, and that I know nothing about game development, but I'd really love someone to try and explain how they'll fix this stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Added a bit more, hope you don't mind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Episode 2 of 'Which Glitch' is online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTCwsfI_7c

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The helmet makes me wonder what would happen if, say, a small rock or a fist were pressed against the glass where all those flaps close.

fuctifino posted:

Episode 2 of 'Which Glitch' is online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTCwsfI_7c
A clip show? Really?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
Oh by the way got an update from PayPal regarding the chargeback.

Something something 180 days maximum time for a chargeback on non-delivery. Answered them politely that this is a special case of a Kickstarter project yadda yadda. Let's see if they might make an exception.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I see so many moving parts on poo poo, specially military things that exposed to elements or other forces, and I get an aneurysm. If you are going full military sim, dont do poo poo like this and if you are going full japanese anime tech, then dont make it look so loving dull.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Added a bit more, hope you don't mind.

looks good commando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SelenicMartian posted:

A clip show? Really?

Like someone else pointed out, they're trying to make the bugs endearing and quirky, rather than broken as poo poo and never going to get fixed.

"Aw look at those lil' devs tryin' their hardest! Good job guys, you can do it! :3:"

• Locked thread