Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I love everything Verhoeven's done.

People seem to always harp on about how Starship Troopers is a crappy adaptation of the book, but it's really a masterful deconstruction of it.

I think everyone knows this by now but maybe I'm just on the Internet too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think everyone knows this by now but maybe I'm just on the Internet too much

The general consensus has evolved over time. Nearer to its release, critical pieces about the satire in the movie were basically nonexistent. When it came out, the reception was almost universally negative.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
It's afraid!

*everyone cheers*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KozmoNaut posted:

I love everything Verhoeven's done.

People seem to always harp on about how Starship Troopers is a crappy adaptation of the book, but it's really a masterful deconstruction of it.

Starship Troopers is a fantastic movie for evaluating whether or not someone "gets" movies.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Fish of hemp posted:

Which reminds me of the best line in Robocop

At first time watching it propably goes past you, because it's just a single line. On second viewing though...

OCP is one of my favorite portrayals of an Evil Megaconglomerate, mostly because (Dick Jones aside) they're never show as actually being bad guys, just so utterly disconnected from the real world that human life doesn't matter to them anymore. They see nothing wrong with deliberately attempting to get the best cops killed or maimed just to further their project. They bicker about cost overruns and deadlines over the rapidly cooling body of another executive. By comparison Boddicker is an evil man, but he actually puts value on a human life (if only because he enjoys ending them). He may be a sadistic psychopath but at least he has emotions, they're utterly nihilistic. "That's just life in the big city."

The sequels progressively turned them into mustachio-twirling villains but the best part of the original was that they saw what they were doing as a good thing. They were certainly motivated by selfish desires but they actually believed they'd end crime and create a corporate utopia.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Starship Troopers is a fantastic movie for evaluating whether or not someone "gets" movies.

Can I put this in the irritating movie thread? Yeah, I get that Starship Troopers is satire, it's really not that clever though, and people smugly saying, well, you just don't get it, has been annoying since it came out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wild T posted:

OCP is one of my favorite portrayals of an Evil Megaconglomerate, mostly because (Dick Jones aside) they're never show as actually being bad guys, just so utterly disconnected from the real world that human life doesn't matter to them anymore. They see nothing wrong with deliberately attempting to get the best cops killed or maimed just to further their project. They bicker about cost overruns and deadlines over the rapidly cooling body of another executive. By comparison Boddicker is an evil man, but he actually puts value on a human life (if only because he enjoys ending them). He may be a sadistic psychopath but at least he has emotions, they're utterly nihilistic. "That's just life in the big city."

The sequels progressively turned them into mustachio-twirling villains but the best part of the original was that they saw what they were doing as a good thing. They were certainly motivated by selfish desires but they actually believed they'd end crime and create a corporate utopia.

While it wasn't particularly subtle, I did enjoy that the Robocop reboot had OCP be pretty competent - just totally loving sociopathic. Their killer death robots actually worked properly (or, at least, worked the way they were intended to) and it was only greed got involved that things went tits up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Armyman25 posted:

Can I put this in the irritating movie thread? Yeah, I get that Starship Troopers is satire, it's really not that clever though, and people smugly saying, well, you just don't get it, has been annoying since it came out.

A sizable portion of people who dislike it don't recognize the satire, as difficult as you may find that to believe. Obviously you can dislike the movie for plenty of reasons (taste is, after all, a matter of opinion), but if you dislike it as a glorification of fascism then you're pretty stupid.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Chichevache posted:

My favorite movie for that is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

A few subtle moments from that:

When Pompey (a black dude) is reciting the Declaration of Independence he stumbles over the 'all men are created equal' bit. Jimmy Stewart smugly prompts him, and Pompey's response is "I knew it, I just plumb forgot".

When Doniphon is in the kitchen with Hallie in the beginning he lights his cigarette from an oil lamp and it's a happy and domestic scene. Near the end of the movie, he uses an oil lantern to burn down the extra room he was building for Hallie--and lights a cigarette on it first.

The moment where Pompey defends the restaurant is framed so that it is Pompey defending the nuclear family: Hallie cowers next to him, her ma and pa in the back, with Pompey as the confident, stern patriarchal figure. Pompey is actually the most moral and ethical person in the film.

When Pompey rescues Doniphon from the fire that Doniphon started, Doniphon says "Pompey, the horses!" It's so poignant and connects with so many other parts of the movie.

Pompey saves Doniphon's life twice, Doniphon saves Stewart's life twice.

Chichevache posted:

A sizable portion of people who dislike it don't recognize the satire, as difficult as you may find that to believe. Obviously you can dislike the movie for plenty of reasons (taste is, after all, a matter of opinion), but if you dislike it as a glorification of fascism then you're pretty stupid.

If you dislike it artistically as a glorification of fascism, then you're dumb. If you dislike it because a lot of people watch it and come away with the idea that it is glorifying fascism, then you're into an argument about whether satire 'fails' if it doesn't reach enough of the audience, but it's totally defensible to not like it because to a naive viewer it might actually reinforce fascistic ideas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was just pissed it didn't have power suits.

Or tanks. You know what I'd use against acid spitting giant insects? Tanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

MI does the dying, tanks do the driving.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

poptart_fairy posted:

While it wasn't particularly subtle, I did enjoy that the Robocop reboot had OCP be pretty competent - just totally loving sociopathic. Their killer death robots actually worked properly (or, at least, worked the way they were intended to) and it was only greed got involved that things went tits up.

I liked the Robocop remake for a lot of things. It didn't just try to rehash the original, which I give it a lot of credit for.

For one thing, it totally reimagined Alex Murphy on all but the basic level. In the original he was a product of soulless corporations twisting the archetypical hero - the rogue cop who gets results - into something horrible. He's a dead man who vaguely remembers his life but is little more than a corpse loaded with onboard photographic forensic files and only images of his family. Peter Weller nailed the absolute poo poo out of that role, and it was not an easy one.

The remake wisely decides to sidestep that and integrate a more modern take of the wounded war vets we see on the news, taken to an utterly horrifying extreme. The old Alex was a corpse in a machine who vaguely remembered being a man but felt no emotion, the new Alex was a living man who woke up to find his body and mind replaced with a consumer product, still remembered everything but was stripped of the ability to feel. Both did an outstanding job portraying the fundamental horror in both scenarios.

But I felt the attempt to turn OCP into a villainous corporation fell flat, especially with Costner's heel turn. I loved his callous Steve Jobs shtick ("Can we make him in black?" was a fantastic line) but the third act seemed like it ran out of steam and shoehorned in a final confrontation. One of the great things about the original was its hopelessness - Murphy 'wins' and kills the bad guy but never stands a chance at changing the larger status quo. The remake abandons that entirely and has him overcome his hardware just for some easy resolution, which felt like a big missed opportunity to me.

For what it's worth, though, I loved the new design. For all the hard work Weller out into making the old suit work the new one blended great special effects with body movements to make Robocop look inhuman and a little too efficient. The human hand was a nice touch as well, especially when it was the first thing to be discarded when they start stripping his parts in front of him. That hand was a PR decision, tactically useless and functionally expendable. It gives you the feeling that if it hadn't rated high with test audiences it would've been sliced away with the rest of Murphy's body.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wild T posted:

I liked the Robocop remake for a lot of things. It didn't just try to rehash the original, which I give it a lot of credit for.

For one thing, it totally reimagined Alex Murphy on all but the basic level. In the original he was a product of soulless corporations twisting the archetypical hero - the rogue cop who gets results - into something horrible. He's a dead man who vaguely remembers his life but is little more than a corpse loaded with onboard photographic forensic files and only images of his family. Peter Weller nailed the absolute poo poo out of that role, and it was not an easy one.

The remake wisely decides to sidestep that and integrate a more modern take of the wounded war vets we see on the news, taken to an utterly horrifying extreme. The old Alex was a corpse in a machine who vaguely remembered being a man but felt no emotion, the new Alex was a living man who woke up to find his body and mind replaced with a consumer product, still remembered everything but was stripped of the ability to feel. Both did an outstanding job portraying the fundamental horror in both scenarios.

But I felt the attempt to turn OCP into a villainous corporation fell flat, especially with Costner's heel turn. I loved his callous Steve Jobs shtick ("Can we make him in black?" was a fantastic line) but the third act seemed like it ran out of steam and shoehorned in a final confrontation. One of the great things about the original was its hopelessness - Murphy 'wins' and kills the bad guy but never stands a chance at changing the larger status quo. The remake abandons that entirely and has him overcome his hardware just for some easy resolution, which felt like a big missed opportunity to me.

For what it's worth, though, I loved the new design. For all the hard work Weller out into making the old suit work the new one blended great special effects with body movements to make Robocop look inhuman and a little too efficient. The human hand was a nice touch as well, especially when it was the first thing to be discarded when they start stripping his parts in front of him. That hand was a PR decision, tactically useless and functionally expendable. It gives you the feeling that if it hadn't rated high with test audiences it would've been sliced away with the rest of Murphy's body.

The final third of Robocop remake is really where it falls apart and ruined the movie somewhat. I was totally with the remake (and I LOVE the original movie) until that point but it really failed to resolve anything properly. Part of the problem is you didnt have a strong "clarence bodicker" villian to hold the final act together and create a real threat so it all just came across as hollow.

Big shame too as it could have been heralded as how to do a remake properly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wild T posted:

But I felt the attempt to turn OCP into a villainous corporation fell flat, especially with Costner's heel turn.

Not to nitpick, but that's Michael Keaton.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Besesoth posted:

The VC buyout wasn't kind to Wayne Industries.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

You know who else sent soldiers into a war in the desert without appropriate body and vehicle armor?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bar Crow posted:

You know who else sent soldiers into a war in the desert without appropriate body and vehicle armor?

General Henry H. Sibley?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Napoleon?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Me, playing any RTS games?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bar Crow posted:

You defend against the arachnid invasion with the Mobile Infantry you have - not the Mobile Infantry you want.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Better movie, starship troopers or super troopers?

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Super starship troopers "Your average highway patrolman can chug a bottle of maple syrup and still be 86% combat effective... Here's a tip, aim for the nerve stem and put this snozberry down for good."

Bob Wins has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Feb 5, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Besesoth posted:

gently caress, how did I mix that up?

Bob Wins posted:

Super starship troopers "Your average highway patrolman can chug a bottle of maple syrup and still be 86% combat effective... Here's a tip, aim for the nerve stem and put this snozberry down for good."

Litering, and... Littering, and... Would you like to know more?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

gently caress, how did I mix that up?

High five Costner/Keaton confusing bud.

Lately I've confused Damon and Pitt.

So I have the brain scans scheduled.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bob Wins posted:

I would like to know more.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

RandomFerret posted:

You're not alone, I could talk about John McTiernan movies for longer than those star wars reviews with all the rape jokes.

Same goes for Paul Verhoeven.

This got me curious as to what McTiernan has done since and man is his wiki page depressing. 13th Warrior > Rollerball > prison > bankruptcy > ongoing invasion of privacy lawsuit

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wild T posted:

Agreed. It was the rare remake that actually updated itself for modern times; the original was a satire of the 80s when we were convinced that America was a war zone and crack babies and people who were homeless "by choice" would destroy Emperor Regan's America, the remake was a satire of modern times where violent crime is the lowest it's been in 25 years yet we militarize our police force while ignoring the actual harmful white-collar crime and corruption happening in front of us.

In fact, most of the complaints about the movie are that it didn't rip off the original enough, like the lack of a Clarence Boddicker character.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
You gotta admit though, it's hard to top Boddicker's original Robocop character anyhow. Dude is really good at playing the corrupt, evil rear end in a top hat persona.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Too bad That 70's Show never had Red come down to the basement and yell "Bitches leave!" to the stoners in his basement.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ozz81 posted:

You gotta admit though, it's hard to top Boddicker's original Robocop character anyhow. Dude is really good at playing the corrupt, evil rear end in a top hat persona.

I saw the original when it came out and what I thought was really cool that Boddicker was a short, bald dude with glasses; which in the usual movie casting would have him being a wimpy schoolteacher. Yet he was one of the most menacing characters seen on a screen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a reason Boddicker looks the way he does.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a reason Boddicker looks the way he does.

Nahh, surely not...

*googles*

Holy poo poo. That is some excellent movie making right there.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Near the end of Coming to America, McDowell Sr. is in his office and interrupted/startled by someone entering suddenly and quickly shuts it and puts it away. The big black binder has written on the side 'McDonald's Operation Manual'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Starship Troopers the characters don't go to high school, they go to an "education center"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Halo movie Forward Unto Dawn isn't particularly worth watching except that the first half of it is the first half of Starship Troopers played almost completely straight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

The Halo movie Forward Unto Dawn isn't particularly worth watching except that the first half of it is the first half of Starship Troopers played almost completely straight.

Quake II was also the first half of Starship Troopers. Set to White Zombie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

syscall girl posted:

Quake II was also the first half of Starship Troopers. Set to White Zombie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94

Rob Zombie only co-wrote the theme song with Bill Brown. Sonic Mayhem, Bill Brown and Jer Sypult did the rest of the soundtrack.

And what a glorious butt-metal soundtrack it is :allears:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Feb 15, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not really a moment but a realisation: In Stranger than Fiction we may be watching The rewritten version of Death and Taxes

Here's why I think this:

Karen Eiffel only writes Tragedies, it is her signature. The main character of Karen's book is initially Harold Crick... or is it? A good chunk of her early narration is actually more about the watch he wears, it drives the narrative more than he does. He discovers he isn't in control of his fate early on, but his fate is influenced by another force: "[Harold ignoring the watch trying to signal his attention to the baker] drove his wristwatch crazy", "His wristwatch wasn't about to let him miss another opportunity" - His watch is actually the main character and at the end of the movie it dies when Harold is hit by the bus because it takes the brunt of the blow, embedding a shard of itself so deep into Harold's wrist it saved his life from an otherwise fatal hemorrhage. True to her form, her main character dies.

By the time Harold Crick inevitably caught up with her she had already had the rest of the plot written down, which makes no sense if we were watching the story unfold live, the story of Harold Meeting Karen, because she would have noticed that she had written a meeting between herself and her Character. Therefore she would have noticed that the next few paragraphs after "The phone rang a third time" would have involved at least a reclusive author living in New York in an apartment identical to her own, because she would have had to describe it eventually when writing from Harold POV - the only reason she didn't notice his getting closer before was because she was writing the other two plotlines, the Bus driver and the Child with the Bike - She couldn't 'see' what Harold was doing. These plotholes may have been allowances that Karen made to make the story fit with the ending, she was ambivalent about the books quality by this rewrite, she just didn't want to kill Harold. So she allowed a little sloppiness to make everything else fall in line: "You know what, I think I'm fine with 'OK'...", "I know [that the new ending doesn't follow] I'll rewrite the rest"

That's what I took from it anyway,

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Feb 15, 2016

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Not really a moment but a realisation: In Stranger than Fiction we may be watching The rewritten version of Death and Taxes

Here's why I think this:

Karen Eiffel only writes Tragedies, it is her signature. The main character of Karen's book is initially Harold Crick... or is it? A good chunk of her early narration is actually more about the watch he wears, it drives the narrative more than he does. He discovers he isn't in control of his fate early on, but his fate is influenced by another force: "[Harold ignoring the watch trying to signal his attention to the baker] drove his wristwatch crazy", "His wristwatch wasn't about to let him miss another opportunity" - His watch is actually the main character and at the end of the movie it dies when Harold is hit by the bus because it takes the brunt of the blow, embedding a shard of itself so deep into Harold's wrist it saved his life from an otherwise fatal hemorrhage. True to her form, her main character dies.

By the time Harold Crick inevitably caught up with her she had already had the rest of the plot written down, which makes no sense if we were watching the story unfold live, the story of Harold Meeting Karen, because she would have noticed that she had written a meeting between herself and her Character. Therefore she would have noticed that the next few paragraphs after "The phone rang a third time" would have involved at least a reclusive author living in New York in an apartment identical to her own, because she would have had to describe it eventually when writing from Harold POV - the only reason she didn't notice his getting closer before was because she was writing the other two plotlines, the Bus driver and the Child with the Bike - She couldn't 'see' what Harold was doing. These plotholes may have been allowances that Karen made to make the story fit with the ending, she was ambivalent about the books quality by this rewrite, she just didn't want to kill Harold. So she allowed a little sloppiness to make everything else fall in line: "You know what, I think I'm fine with 'OK'...", "I know [that the new ending doesn't follow] I'll rewrite the rest"

That's what I took from it anyway,

It was a good movie but I think you actually put more thought into Harold Crick meeting his author than the actual writers of the script did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

An embarrassing moment for me watching that film is when he bring flours to the girl, a baker.
But it's supposed to be romantic like he's bringing her flowers.

I just though it was little bags of seeds for a while. I'm not smart.